main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Victoria. BC Welcome, new members! (new intro, please review!)

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by _Derisa_Ollamhin_, May 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

_Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    This is a place for the newest folk to our fan club, to introduce themselves and be welcomed by the rest of us.

Please see this thread Next Victory Base meeting to find out the date and time of our next get-together or organisational meeting. (That thread is edited and updated after each meeting.)

Also, find out when club members are planning their next viewing on this thread Next Viewing!

If you have any questions that aren't answered here or in the other threads on the forum, please feel free to post them to this thread: Got a couple of Q's , and we'll endeavour to answer them as best we can.

Lastly, as a point of 'Netiquette, these boards are accessible by a large range of people of all ages and sensibilities: please keep that in mind when posting to these forums!

So, who are you? what are your interests? what do you want us to know about you? :)

*Derisa*

Communications Officer
    Victory Base

2. Alakin_Marshwalker

Alakin_Marshwalker Jedi Youngling star 2

May 16, 2002
    Alrighty...I was one of the quiet guys at the line up. I am definetly interested in attending meetings and such. I am not really sure what I am getting into here but life is an adventure right?
    Interests? Let's get the basic list out of the way first: Reading, Writing, Music, Movies, and Gaming. Now to further specify each of the above. I mostly read Fantasy and some horror but will have almost any book a chance. I just finished most of the Douglas Adams books. I write mostly poetry but I always have at least two or three story ideas kicking around in my head. Music is pretty much anything but rap and country, pretty easy going in that area. I will watch any movie if the oppurtunity arises and my tastes in that area are too varied to go into detail here. Gaming is another big issue that really needs more time to fully explain.
    Stuff I want you to know? Well..get the big one out of the way. I am gay and if for whatever reason that causes any problems...I want to know before I meet anyone in person. Other stuff is mostly face to face and thus can wait. My life story is long and quite possibly boring...but if you really want to know...feel free to ask.
    Well...I think that about covers me. I will try to be at the next meeting and thanks for organising something like this in Victoria.

3. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    Well, hey! welcome aboard, there, Alakin! Were you involved in one of the board games last night?

I refuse to discriminate against anything, race, creed, or orientation. It's not exactly a written club policy (do we *have* any written club policies? :) ), but since the idea of FanForce is to get fans meeting up and building friendships outside of the Internet, any sort of discrimination runs rather counter to that mandate.

So, are you going to be able to make the 7 show at Silver City on Saturday? It'd be grand to meet you!

Please feel free to meander over the forum (I know it's not very exciting, except for the alcoholic invasion of Phoenix FanForcers), and post around the place. We're a friendly bunch, I promise!

*Derisa*

4. Alakin_Marshwalker

May 16, 2002
    Nope...I was with TJ most often. I think I have figured out who everybody was though. Not sure about saturday. My mode of transportation is out of town and Silvercity is a long walk. Funds are a problem as well. But any walk and budget friendly events I will be at for sure.

5. Qui-Dawn

Qui-Dawn Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2000
    I wholeheartedly and enthusiastically agree with everything Derisa said - welcome, welcome! Here, have some Alderaanian ale.... ::hands Alakin a mug:: I'll warn you though, this stuff goes right to your head. Hic! :)

Wow, that line was sheer blissful insanity, though, wasn't it? I wish I'd gotten some names, right now I'm going more by face recognition - and constantly wracking my brain - than anything else. That, at least, I'm thinking straight enough to do. You know what I was thinking last night, though, after coming home from a second AOTC viewing.... (and I think a lot of folks there for our 10:30 p.m. showing were totally stunned when a Jedi strides past them, robes flowing and billowing....but, hey, if they don't expect it by *now* then there's just no hope for them) - it occurred to me that I know we're having another open viewing on Saturday, the 7 p.m. show at Silvercity....anything else planned after that, though? Like talking it over, i.e. over coffee, or something? Because it's possible that if people can't make the movie that night, they'd sure be into gettin' together afterwards even for a little while anyway. Just a thought....I'm so full of those lately. :)

Oh, and two more items of note (hopefully): first off, that blasted script....still hammering away....I may end up having to pare it down to maybe only three or four Jedi, and after what I was thinking before, oh, I swear it's gonna kill me. :) On the other hand, that would give everyone involved more time and attention, and there's nothing at all wrong with *that*. :) It's a slow and careful process, though, is what....but, gee, for *some* reason I've been feeling so marvellously on-fire inspired lately....as in, over the last two days. Gosh, I wonder *why*.... ;) ::giggles::

Last thing I wanted to mention for now.... I'm in an AOTC RP that's starting to see some real activity now (that's what an hour of frantic, energized searching after not being able to sleep for well over an hour, following the giddy buzz and excitement of the 12:01 a.m. showing, will get you) - I scouted around hard and managed to find this thing....and most noteworthy about it, and I hope you'll find it interesting enough and, potentially, even worthwhile....? - is that most of the characters are still available. Here are the ones taken thus far:

Anakin
    Padme
    Jango/Boba Fett

And that's it....all the rest of 'em are open....have at it! Now, if you *are* interested and would like to know more, and I'm sure you could help out tremendously....lots of fun and very inspiring and all that, I assure you :) - but, yeah, if you're curious for more info then you can just post on the board directly....I check in here pretty often, I'm kind of maniacal about that, I admit it. :) You can also drop me a line privately at: uu763@victoria.tc.ca - and I'm sure someone will be able to help! C'mon, you know you want to. :) ::encouraging look:: Till later, my young Padawans....

6. Alakin_Marshwalker

May 16, 2002
    Hello Qui Dawn..thanks for the greeting and *sniffs the mug he is now holding* ale. I would most definetly be up to meeting attendees of the movie for coffee or something after the showing. I would really like to get more involved in the Star Wars fandom.

This is the first I have heard of any script what so ever. I am going to assume it has something to do with a fan film or something else along those lines. I have tons of free time right now so if you need any help, please feel free to ask me for anything besides money.

As for the RP, I don't know how reliable a poster I would be in a forum. I prefer my role playing face to face and with regulated combat and all that. I am usually too structured for the open ended RP that most forums are. I am a rules lawyer and have to have an easy ruling for every situation or else I feel incomplete. However, I am willing to take a look before I make any decisions.

And on that note, *drains ale in one big gulp* I think I shall take a nap. *collapses in a heap*

7. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    Tee hee....Alakin, you make me laugh. :) Here, have some more ale. ::pours:: What's that? You say you're already tipsy? Okay, then, you need a *lot* more. ;)

Right, then. :) So, who would be up for meeting, even for a little while, after the show on Saturday? Like Alakin, I'm not sure that I can make it to the movie (waiting for more cash to come my way, then I can get back to fully immersing myself in AOTC....at least once a week, ah!) so I may have to opt out of that....but that doesn't mean we can't have a friendly debriefing or meet afterwards, that even the rest of us could attend. Right? Right? Why are you all looking at me like that? ;) For convenience's sake, then, and since Alakin has already expressed an interest....and we *could* in fact do this, and sure, I'd be interested!....what about someplace closer to town than Silvercity? I think we could all use something. :)

And, Alakin, yes, you're quite right....I am indeed working on it....and like so many other things, it comes in fits and starts....some moments more inspirational, to write the script and really get into it, than others. I wonder what George Lucas does to rid himself of mental blocks every now and again, or to help cudgel his brain for the right words to frame and express the idea....and if I knew, then for sure I'd only have what *he* was having. :)

And, oh, that reminds me - as I recall, we were talking about starting up a SW gaming session at some point....right? Of course we intended to leave it until AOTC opened, we were all kind of, um, singlemindedly focussed on that....but now that it *has* opened (and I *so* love just saying that!), well, perhaps we could think about starting up a gaming session....who would be interested? Myself, I'm involved in a weekly D&D session (mostly in it to chat and have tea and snacks with friends, D&D really isn't my thing....aside from the times I'm able to properly channel and vent my more Sithly aspects) - and, naturally, having no experience at all in translating that into Star Wars....never done that kind of gaming....well, I *am* very much curious, I'll admit. I don't know who else would be up for it....hopefully plenty o' people....but I *do* know for sure that right now, I can say that my yen is Jedi or Sith. It's because....well....we all know why. :)

Dawn.

8. Alakin_Marshwalker

May 16, 2002
    More Ale?? Alright...but if I start hitting on anyone...please take it personally. *takes a big swallow*

Mental Blocks can't really be gotten rid of. I think of them as breaks between inspiration more than mental blocks. But I am trying to be as positive as possible with everything in life. Everything great takes time, so simply be patient and all will be clear.

As to SW gaming sessions, that would be very cool although we would have to decide on a system first. I know somebody who has books for both systems although the D20 one is more likely to recieve new material. Both are fairly easy to learn but the D20 system has tons of stuff available for it already. I don't have either of the books on me but I can bring some D20 material to whatever meeting if people have the interest to take a look at it. My friend is also out of town till sometime in August but I am sure that any books we need for D20 can be found.

Well that was the rant for something I actually know too much about. I really need to learn more Star Wars stuff as I am pretty lacking in the knowledge there. Anyhoo, *finishes off the ale* let's see who I can flirt with now that my belly is burning.

9. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    Alakin.... "Everything great takes time"? Everything *great*? Okay, now that's flattery. That's not the Alderaanian ale talking by any chance, though, is it? ;) Tee hee.... Still, though, I do like that very much....encouragement, anyway. ::waves her hand encouragingly:: Keep 'em coming! :)

Hm....I do wonder, though....thus far I don't think we've heard back as to possibly meeting up for coffee after the movie on Saturday....you guys are going to the 7 p.m. showing, right, those of you who *are* actually going? So, did you want to chat somewheres afterwards, or....? Hey, I think we just wanna know. :) And, besides, all I've been thinking is that after AOTC....well, my stars, how could we *not* meet? Did I mention I'm still incredibly pumped? Whee! :)

Dawn. (who just got out her very first ever SW RP post, for that AOTC one I told you about....and it was surprisingly easy, worked *very* well, I must say. Hey, I always said it wasn't for nothing that I was shootin' to take on Anakin there....I really do see something familiar in him, something very deeply fascinating and intriguing. Ergo, a *hell* of a lot of fun to delve into and write all about! And insanely inspiring as well! Whee!)

10. Saber_Caddy

Saber_Caddy Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2002
    *sorry, this turned out to be far longer than initially expected. . . much like certan well-remembered star destroyers*

Hmm. . .nobody contacted me since the lineup for the midnight show, so I got impatient bumbled my way here on my own ;), impatient and wreckless padawan that I am.

A play by e-mail RP? Sounds fun :), though I suppose I'd be stuck, for who could I be if not Anakin? I too found myself unerringly able to relate to him (then I got home, looked in the mirror and, well, that made things even more creepy 8|). Hehe. . . I could be Jar-Jar :D (Go Jar-Jar!).

*climactic music comes to a sudden halt*
    No, I must not do this. . .

. . .the vast amount of roleplaying I already do has restricted my time too much, and more would only lead to my destruction. That and the fact that I'm a starving university student who can't afford a computer and could never keep up ;).

As far as transferring D&D into Star Wars, that really isn't difficult. Wizards of the Coast publishes the Star Wars Roleplaying Game (Star Wars d20, as previously mentioned by Alankin) which uses the same essential play mechanics as D&D, though it comes at a very steep price (something like $70 for the core book). Version 2 of that system just came out this last week, so I don't have it yet but I do have the version 1 book which I'm willing to loan out if I ever meet up with any of you guys again and you want to take a flip through it. It's mostly the same stuff. . .

I'd also be willing to GM one or two single-evening games though I'm already involved in two D&D sessions/week (one as a player and one as a GM), plus frequent RPGA tournaments on the side, so those looking for regular commitment from me as a gamer need not apply ;).

Wow. . . that's a lot on roleplaying. . . I guess I should introduce my other interests: I'm currently involved in the mose bizarre selection of sports known to man (or any other species), including both kendo and lawn-bowling (which may sound like a tame sport, but when practiced using gungan boombas becomes very dangerous indeed). I've also acted, edited video, done a fair bit of work in photoshop and put together a bit of CG in my time, with drawing and writing falling in line as sporadic, though never very successful side-hobbies. . . Oh yeah, and on top of that, I sometimes like to watch these movies about people who fly around in spaceships shooting fire-guns and wielding lazer-swords, but I doubt that would interest any of you guys ;).

Anyways, now that that's done with, on to more business. I'm sorry that I missed all of you for yesterday's 7:00 show. I'd promised some friends I'd go with them to the Odeon for 7:30, so same movie, differant crowd. It was great the second time round, too :). Anyways, I doubt I'll be able to make it tonight as I'll be catering an upper-class birthday party in Oak Bay until yoda-knows when, --(added later: the party starts at 7:00, so I doubt it'll be over until 10:00 or 11:00 :[)-- but if y'all can set a time and place for coffee I'll do my best to attend (though for affore-mentioned reasons I may not make it anyways). Hey, maybe we could all head over to Richmond sometime to see what a differance digital makes :). Ebert said he didn't like it, but I'd like to see for myself ;).

Hmm. . . well I think that's all. . . No, one more thing: did anybody get the 6:00pm news from the midnight lineup on tape? I know I'd certainly like to see it. I finally met one of my friends who saw it and said he was in stitches, but I'd like to se for myself how it went down.

Alright, that is all, for sure this time ;).

TTY!

--Jeremy (or Jer, if you prefer)

11. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    Jeremy!

I thought I sent you an email... I sent a lot of emails on Thursday morning... lemme check my address book against the addie I took down at the premiere... OH NO!!! my bad, Jer, I had it in my address book as @shaw, and you are @uvic. I am so sorry...

I'm fixing it now, and I'll send you the email right away. Thank the Light you have the initiative to find your way here anyway!

Will you be able to make it to the movie this evening, Jeremy? I can't do anything after the film, as my son will need to get home and go to bed. If you guys wanna get together and yak before or after, where ever, by all means do so, and share the fun with us here on the boards when you get home. Start threads for your different topics of conversation, whatever! That's what the forums are for!

RPGs: Jason has all the books and is going to be getting moving on a game soon: Rani and I have already taken slots there and I think he has three other players already. I'm thinking come high summer, we could do a whole day mini-campaign just for the group at some point.

Hey, Dawn, why don't you post a thread of what you've written for the game you're in, so we can follow along? That'd be cool! The Very Secret Diary of Anakin Skywalker...? :)

Anyway, welcome aboard, jeremy, and I hope to see some of you this evening at SilverCity!

*Derisa*

12. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    Jer and Alakin and whoever else....let's say anyone and/or everyone: I know it's already past noon on Saturday so it's entirely possible that we've gotten down to he wire here if not maybe pushing the time a little *too* close, and if so, I suppose we can deal....could be we're all still in various stages of AOTC recovery/frenzy and as a result, our planning-ahead skills just aren't what they used to be. :) Still, if anyone *did* want to get together somewhere like this evening to debrief and chat and what have you, I suppose I'd be open for that....I don't know what anyone might have to suggest, but I'm sure we don't suffer for any lack of inspiration here. :)

So if we can, grrrrrreat! That's what I say! :) I like knowing people who are good with Photoshop and F/X programs....automatically you're *very* good people. ;) Tee hee.... I do wonder on occasion, though....whether the number of people I've heard, and seen, getting involved in stuff like kendo has anything to do with SW, especially after the blazing fights in TPM and now the AOTC battles as well....gee, I wonder if there's any correlation there. Somehow, I think there just might be. ;)

I'll be in here again maybe sometime this afternoon-ish in any case to see what's up, if anything....and until then, you all try to stay out of trouble, or at least, save some of it for *me*, 'cause I want in on the action. :)

Dawn.

13. Alakin_Marshwalker

May 16, 2002
    Well, I am not the greatest organiser but it definetly sounds like some more down time after the opening could be used. I am going to a get together from 3pm till whenever. But if something is decided, would somebody be kind enough to e-mail me about it? My e-mail is teylak@hotmail.com. I am going to keep this short and talk more some other time.

14. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    I trust everyone's been keeping out of trouble....or at least, if you have been getting up to some mischief, that it's the *good* kind. Although maybe there *is* only the good kind of mischief, but I digress. :)

I was having a couple of ideas in amidst my usual creative wanderings this evening....and before I got down to other things, I just wanted to run 'em by you all and see what you think. First....we should definitely look into starting up a SW RP, and naturally my yen would be for something more Jedi/Sith-centric, but we all know I have something of a gloriously one-track mind in this regard, so....well, it might be neat to see what we could come up with, is all. I mean, yeah, many of us have done some gaming before, D&D and all that, and I don't know if SW is any different - depending on the rules and gaming system you're using - but I know it can't be that hard to master, even if it is....:)

Next, though, and what I'm actually rather more anxious about as I sit here....I was watching a special "e now!" show this evening where they went to Skywalker Ranch, Marin County....great show, by the way, very entertaining and informative and *most* fascinating, too....but at one point, they were talking to Rick McCallum, and he remarked on how everyone should try their utmost to see Episode II as it was truly meant to be seen, and heard, and experienced....in other words, in a fully digital-projection theatre. That's the way they made the film, he reiterated, and at the crux of it that's the best and only true way to see it, to experience it as it truly is....as they always intended it to be. And, yes, I know we don't have any DLP theatres here in town, much less on the Island as far as I know....*agh*! ::quietly seething:: On the other, perhaps more prevalent hand, though, and as someone brought up earlier....they *do* have DLP theatres over on the mainland, like in Richmond, for instance.

Matter of fact, my brother also reminded me of this, of the real necessity of seeing Episode II in a true, full digital theatre, when he called me this morning....so of course, taking all this into account, I am of course *very* much eager, interested, and *most* curious and determined to see the film in a digital theatre, on the mainland....and I *do* think we should do it as a group, most defnitely!....and I *know* it would be a hell of a lot of fun. Now, I know that it's not like they're going to stop showing Episode II anytime soon....well, *obviously*! :) - but I figure that we should definitely take no chances in this regard, and if we *do* want to see Episode II the true and only way, digitally....then perhaps we should seriously start planning for it. I'm game for it, most definitely! I just really think we should....

And I think what we all want to know is....what should we do for our next meet? Something fun, obviously....maybe an outside activity if the weather's nice? Saber play or something? Yes, yes, I *know* I have a total one-track mind, as I've said before. What of it? ;) I'm certainly open to suggestions, though, in any case!

Dawn.

15. xccole

xccole Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2002
    I have just joined. I have been a star wars fan since the late 70's when i was a kid. i have been utterly disappointed with these new films. in my opnion george lucas has desecrated my childhood memories of this holy saga. he has taken perfection and reduced it to the mundane level of hollywood commercialization. both of the new films could have been made much better. i wish someone could have spoken with him about this. its too late now. i just saw EPII and even though it didn't make me want to vomit like EPI i still ma feeling naseous. somebody please tell me that you feel the same or has everyone been duped by these new additions to the star wars TRILOGY. it should have simply remained a trilogy and we could have dreamed about prequels. it would have been better that way.

xc

16. CarbonatedGoat

CarbonatedGoat Jedi Youngling star 1

May 18, 2002
    I'm Phil. Aka The Carbonated Goat.

(Don't ask)

Yeah.

I met _Derisa_Ollamhin_ outside the Silver City tonight before I saw AotC for the second time.

I was practicing some katana katas with my lightsaber...

"Hey there! Saber-boy!" I heard, looked over, saw her sitting on the steps and waving me over.

"Uh... Hey..." I said... and the conversation kinda went from there.

So yeah.

I forget how long I've been a SW fan... I wrote an essay about it a while back.

My first memory of anything to do with Star Wars is way back when I was 5 years old (I'm 19 now). I was at a Beavers meeting, and some kids there had some of the original Kenner SW action figures. (or were the originals Mattel? I forget. Who cares? Not the point of this story). You know, the ones where the arm on the Jedi are completely straight with the telescoping lightsabers? Yeah. Playing with those. It was fun.

I can't remember the first time I saw the movies... but... Well, I tend to quote them all the time (along with other movies/TV shows that have SW references, like Undergrads, any Kevin Smith movie/show, etc), so it must have been a while ago.

My views on some of the Star Wars character's follow:

Boba Fett: Badass - Cool. One of my heroes.

Jango Fett: Pansy-ass. Not half as cool as his son. Boba would have never fallen for that "lets dump the spare parts" trick.
    Luke Skywalker: Meh. He whines too much. Kinda like his daddy. Must be genetic.

Mara Jade: Cool as Palpy's Hand.

Callista: Screw Mara Jade (no pun intended) Callista should have been Luke's wife (I know I'm diverging from Canon. So shoot me. (that time the pun was intended).

Han Solo: Gotta love the falcon.

Chewie: Laugh it up, Furball!

The Droid Dynamic Duo: Booyeah.

Jar Jar Binks: Shoot the damn thing and get it over with.

Anakin in TPM: Shoot him. Please.

Anakin in AotC: Stop whining, bitch.

Darth Vader: Booyeah!

Palpy in TPM/AotC: Meh.

Palpy in TESB/RotJ: Booyeah!

Darth Sideous: Booyeah!

Darth Maul: Cool. Shoulda talked more, but then again, Ray Park can't act.

Mace Windu: Besides my innitial complaint that the name was already taken in WEG's (West End Games) version of the SWRPG as that of a Squib junk trader in Mos Eiesly. All I have to say is: "Hand me my lightsaber. It's the one that says 'Bad mother-****** on it'."

Leia Organa: Meh. Padme's hotter. Except better lines: "Into the garbage shoot Flyboy!"

Padme Amidala: Leia's got -nothing- on her... except better lines.

Um yeah. That's it for now... I guess...

Except to note that if anyone is looking for an extra player for their SWRPG campaign (either WEG or WOTC versions) I'm looking for one to join. Contact me at williamgibsonesque@hotmail.com .

Domo arigato (Mr. Robato)

17. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    Um, if I may say so - and I believe everyone in our Fanforce group will agree with me - I happen to consider it very bad form for someone to come in here and post something most wholly and manifestly, depressingly negative in a thread that has been nothing but positive, encouraging, friendly, comfortable and reinforcingly nice. It seems, to me, to smack of something very unfortunate and disappointing, and I don't think it at all fair to unleash such a response on here in any case. Now, I am not at all attempting to censor anyone, I do not believe that any of us have ever intended as much. But to see such a manifestly negative-energy post in this thread, in our forum, and to imply as well within the post that we have been "duped"....I, personally, find such remarks or intimations rather disconcerting, dismaying and insulting. We do not need such behavior on this forum or any other. We are all better than that, we deserve better than that here.

And now I, personally, am going to do my level best to keep this thread, and this forum, the nice, encouraging, friendly positive place it has always been. And I'll say this much at least, as it strikes me, now, as I sit here mulling over a great deal....that I was in Chapters and such earlier today, and man alive, did I *ever* spend a great number of happy minutes downstairs immersing myself in the huge selection of Episode II stuff they have there! Matter of fact, I kept pointing to things and making mental note of them and saying to myself, "I want that, I want that, I want that!"....really, now, where is a birthday or Christmas-type holiday when you need one? ;) Tee hee....

Dawn.

18. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    Why, hello there and a most hearty and enthusiastic "Welcome!" to you, Mr. Carbonated Goat. Here, have some Alderaanian ale....we've been passing it around like, well, like ale....flowing freely and all that. ::hic:: And, blast, sounds like you guys had a nice time this evening at Silvercity....drat that I couldn't be there! Agh! Oh, well. :) Still, here's what I want to know....you're out there practicing lightsaber katas, and you get an interested, enthusiastic response. Meanwhile, I'm out there in my robes with my saber out, and most folks eye me with some curiosity and wonder and yet still shy away! Agh, again! Is there a chance I'm just too imposing a Jedi for my own good? ;) Yikes....

Dawn.

19. CarbonatedGoat

May 18, 2002
    A general question about the forum... Isn't there a way to edit posts?

There should be. There is on every other board I go to (mostly V:tM RPG boards and my friend's LANning company board)

-----

Five minutes later: Never mind. I'm just blind.

20. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    ::giggles:: Personally, I think it's the ale. You're *drunk*! You ever tried wielding a saber when you're drunk? Think of the carnage....;) Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course....

Dawn. (did I mention I was feeling positively impish? Whee!)

21. CarbonatedGoat

May 18, 2002
    Actually, I'm not drunk. Hungry though. Just got back from the 7:30 showing. Well. Not *just* back. But you get the idea.

And all I had was a raunchy ronnie's quarter pounder for supper. Yech. Gimmie a nerf steak any day.

BTW, does anyone else here call Palpatine "Palpy"? I do. It comes from one of my old SWRPG characters... a bounty hunter. She (I like playing fem characters. forces me to think) was very irreverant.

Did I forget to mention she didn't live long?

... She called him that to his face.

22. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    Phil, I can tell it's going to be a hoot to have you around! I really enjoyed yakkin' with you before the show: hope you can make it to one of our get-togethers soonish... Welcome to our crazed clan! I'll add you to the Victory Base list so you get the emails as we send 'em out.

xccole: I understand how you feel, I've heard a couple other fans say similar things. Their disappointment in the new movies is palpable, which is unfortunate, as the whole experience is so very different these days. It's much more commercial, I read a review that made an excellent point about the video-game qualities of certain scenes from AotC which I agreed with, and saw as issues in TPM as well.

The prequels are not the same story, and cinematically, the standards of the audiences who see these new movies are not the same at all. Certain movies are now "events": a term I have really come to be aware of in the last couple of weeks. They cannot fail at the box office, which is a very interesting phenomenon. Certainly any release with the Star Wars name is part of that: they are one of the main reasons for that change in our entertainment culture.

I have been reading reviews and have been absolutely amazed at the number of conflicting opinions: Hayden was perfect, creepy and yet earnest vs. Hayden was so wooden they're calling him Mannequin Skywalker. That's just one example. My point is that fans are vocally opinionated and often diametrically opposed in those opinions, and no one movie is going to meet everyone's expectations. That was never Lucas's intention, anyway.

I would hate to be thought of as a Star Wars apologist, but I hope you'll give the third prequel a try before you blacklist it: it may be that Lucas manages to pull a rabbit out of his black mask, and covers all bases in the third and final Star Wars movie.

If not, we may have to wait till he dies, and the franchise passes to other directors and writers to make more films... perhaps somewhere out there there will be a director who can change the world with a film the way Lucas did in 1977. I hope I get to see it. (I'd love to see the NJO as a TV mini-series: am I alone in that? :) )

*Derisa*

23. CarbonatedGoat

May 18, 2002
    I haven't read any of the NJO books yet... But I maintain that either The Zahn books or Shadows of the Empire would make great movies.

Maybe a mini-trilogy (by mini-trilogy I mean, like, maybe a miniseries on TV or something) about Boba Fett? You know the one I'm thinking of the Mandalorian Armour/Slave Ship/Hard Merchandise books by K.W. Jeter (who's one of my fav SW authors)

Is there anywhere online where I could grab patterns for Jedi cloaks and stuff? I could do a search, but that would require effort :) ...

24. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
  25. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    Well, it was way cool to actually meet up with Alakin at Alzu's after the noon show. Hope we didn't scare you too much, hard-core, pathetic fanboys that we are. :)

The next meeting is going to be fun, if we can get more of us in a room together! :)

If anyone has any specific questions about who we are and what it is we are up to that isn't answered in one of the other threads in the forum, please feel free to post them to the Couple of Q's thread. It'll likely become the root of our FAQ for when we get our own website.

Welcome aboard for real, Alakin, and thanks for making the effort to come out to the meeting. Looking forwqrd to meeting more of you at the next one!

*Derisa*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.