main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*** Welsh Posters Please Sign In!! ***

Discussion in 'Archive: FF:UK - Wales' started by Yoshee, Jul 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sakara

Sakara Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 8, 2005
    Who me...?....*look good in it you would yessssssssss*

2. Welshguy

Welshguy Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    Look at me, judge me by my size do you, hmmm?

And well you should not, for working out for the last 6 weeks I have. Buff I have become, kick your bottom I could, hmmmm.

So we're talking about the guy from Grease here right? Also in Taxi?

If so, cool!

3. Jairen

Jairen Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2000
    //puts on patented Nerd Helmet?

Nope that is Jeff Conaway, plays the replacement security chief in Seasons 4 and 5 of Babylon 5.

Michael O'Hare played Jeffrey Sinclair, the commander of Babylon 5 in the original TV Movie and the first season before leaving the show. He then returned for a two-parter in the third season entitle "War Without End" in which he travels back in time to become the great Minbari leader Valen.

//removes patented Nerd Helmet?

Sorry, what was I talking about.

4. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, that guy!

Oh right. He was ok as the captain, don't know why they replaced him. Though the series did really come alive after Sheridan was put in place.

Didn't he also have a brief cameo in one of the spin of TV movies they made? The Minbari war movie if I remember correctly. Though they may have just taken the shots from the TV show and stuck them in.

I miss Babalon 5. It was good.

My brother never tired of telling me that they used an Amiga to do the special effects. ;)

5. MASTER-SITH

MASTER-SITH Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 14, 2003
    never realy liked it my self not my type of sci-fi

6. Sakara

Jun 8, 2005
    babylon 5 was my first real fandom. I was very much into it, being part of the Uk's 2nd largest fanclub 'The PSICORPS' it was via that that we got to know a few of the actors..and as such i could get their basic measurements to base costumes on!!
    JMS the guy who created the show was and is a genius, but also a control freak and if you didnt get on with him for some reason your character usually ended up leaving..see Claudia Christian. With OHare there were other reasons and that why he came back as Valen...

ok ill shut up now...my geekyness is too much even for me!

7. Jairen

Sep 1, 2000
    If I remember rightly, when JMS was talked to about the reason for Sinclair leaving, it was simply that he always wanted him to be Valen, and that there was no way to keep his character on into the second season, because the number of coincidences would have been phenominal.

i.e. he happened to be the one taken on board the Minbari Cruiser, he happens to be Valen, he happens to have an ex-wife with a connection to the shadows, etc, etc. Too much for one character. However, he neatly side steps this, by introducing the concept of "The One" a focal point for history, and kind of fulcrum for destiny. By having "The One" be several different characters, he was able to deal with those coincidences and give them a really clever way of co-existing. I liked it a lot. Especially all the interlinking in the show. How cool was it to see hints in the first season finally pay off in Season 3 and 4. Talk about a build-up!!!

8. Sakara

Jun 8, 2005
    Yes JMS is good at doing that...but Sinclair was supposed to go along that story in another way...trust me when i say it wasnt planned at first..JMS did some clever rewriting to make it the way weve seen it.
    I do love the show and to see how the storyline unfolded in seasons 3 and 4 was awesome...season 5 sadly due to WB being arses with their funding of the show never quite did it.By holding back on season renewal JMS finished the sroty in s4..as we see the slightly rushed ending to the shadow war and the ending of the earth regime...then WB gives the renewal at literally the last week notice and JMS has to think of storys to continue into s5..thats why theres a couple of good stories but most bite

9. Jairen

Sep 1, 2000
    Yeah, I felt really sorry for him then. Imagine what season 5 would have been like if 4 had continued to be the Shadow War, and the fifth ended up being the establishing of Sheridan's new alliance. Would have been a crescendo ending for sure. In fact, the last episode "Sleeping in Light" still makes me teary-eyed.

Oh, however there was one + to the delay from WB. "Decontruction of Falling Stars" was the title I think. But that was awesome, showing how the Sheridan/Delenn myth changed over the centuries and millenia, before arriving at the end of SOL and humanity becoming Vorlon-like! Awesome cover episode!

10. Sakara

Jun 8, 2005
    Oh yeah that fill in episode was very clever...JMS is a very clever at showing how the humanity works..both its good and bad points.

11. WelshDrivaaar

WelshDrivaaar Jedi Youngling

Sep 3, 2004
    Hey cool, B5 rocked! Especially the War Without End arc. Amazing stuff.

12. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    I remember rumor of a B5 movie only a couple of months ago, much in the same vain as Serenity. Anyone heard any further news on this?

has it passed over to the other side and become one with the light?

13. Sakara

Jun 8, 2005
    last i heard it went beyond the rim.....ie JMS got screwed over again.

14. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    I don't know much about JMS to be honest, but he seems like the kind of person who grew up with a bit to much "Red under every bed" drummed into him.

I know about the whole DS9 thing and the networks, but he seems to be someone who never stops complaining.

But maybe i'm wrong and he has been screwed over countless times by the powers that be.

15. Sakara

Jun 8, 2005
    Its a bit of both. Hes a control freak..much like george Lucas..in as such that he doesnt like his stories being changed. So JMS wants full control over his stories and ideas..but unlike Lucas doesnt have the money/cloat or own film company to do it.
    So JMS does get screwed over..but he doesnt help much

16. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    I guess no writer likes his stories being changed, but you have to play the game. GL had American Graffiti changed a hell of a lot, but he is smart enough to know that you can't have everything your own way at the start. They made the changes, he made a bucket load of money and he never had to put himself in that position again.

JMS had a good idea with B5, nowhere even near the level of the SW universe, but it was something that could have rivaled ST easily. But while people like Lucas and Roddenberry had plenty of ideas that allowed them later control over their more personal projects, JMS seems like a one trick pony to me.

I tried to watch Crusade, but it was plane terrible!

Any idea what he is up to now?

17. Sakara

Jun 8, 2005
    I dunno. His last tv movie, the legend of the rangers was a rehash of the ancient alien comes back to wipe out life and a small group band together to stop them....again had some good ideas and great dialogue (mostly from Gkar) but it didnt have enough....and the weapons idea for the ship was soo stupid.probably looked good on paper.

I believe last i heard he was writing a book..dont know what on though.

18. WelshDrivaaar

WelshDrivaaar Jedi Youngling

Sep 3, 2004
    I believe he also write comic book nowadays, I think he's done some "spiderman" stuff..

19. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    *Small wave* Well, I don't exactly live in Wales, but I am Welsh! :D ;)

Hi guys, I'm Rachel from San Diego, California. I'm just poking around your board for a bit and having a bit of fun. :)

20. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    Another lady caller! Wow, this is amazing! I don't think any chapter has ever had 3 women posting on there!!

Welcome to our little corner of the SW Galaxy. It's not much, but you can get a cold drink in the Cantina, hot debate in the Jedi Council and a bit bored in Darth_Gavin's "Greatest ever Jedi" thread.

So how exactly are you Welsh?

21. Hypno

Hypno Jedi Youngling

Jul 14, 2005
    Hi All

Just thought I would announce myself as a new Welsh poster (well as time permits anyway)

Been lurking for a few weeks, so thought it only right make my existance known.

22. odj_310388

odj_310388 Jedi Knight star 5

May 30, 2002
    *makes strange noises from under the couch and proceds to grab Hypno's leg triping him up*

YOU CANNOT PASS

23. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    Welcome Hypno. Ignore ODJ. His bark is worse than his bite. Though that's not strickly true, as he does have rabies.

So where are you fom in little old Wales?

Been into Star Wars long?

24. Hypno

Hypno Jedi Youngling

Jul 14, 2005
    Hi Welshguy

I'm from St Athan in South Wales (near Barry)

Been into Star wars since I was 4, so 26 years. Although my interest dipped for a few years.
    My 3yr old has just discovered the delights of Star Wars though, so he has renewed my interest in a huge way (and dented my pocket by wanting all the new toys).
    Might even get around to finishing the scripts and movie projects I started when I was younger.

25. SithLord-Mixo

SithLord-Mixo Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 21, 2002
    All cheer the Mixo is here

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.