main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Gandalf the Grey, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ElfinArcher

ElfinArcher Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 29, 2005
    To those who are reading the Dan Brown books: Do you not find them completely addictive? I've read all four (Angels and Demons, Da Vinci Code, Deception Point and Digital Fortress), and I found them IMPOSSIBLE to put down. It's especially tough when one has to work at 8 in the morning, and is up until five finishing the book because it is just THAT good!

In the last 2 days, I've finished "St. Patrick's Gargoyle" by Katherine Kurtz, and "Dreams of Stardust" by Lynn Kurland, both amazing books. I want to read more by these two authors!

I've got a few books on the go at the moment.
    "The Mask and the Sorceress" by Dennis Jones - a bit slow, but I'm only 2 chapters in. Hopefully it'll pick up.
    "Wicked" by Gregory Maguire - Quite good. A new spin on an old tale. I love his books!
    "Goblet of Fire" by JK Rowling - 6th time through. Picking up on new subtle details along the way, which brings new light to some of the issues in HP.
    "The Eye of the World" by Robert Jordan - lent to me by a friends' brother, I'm having trouble reading this. I need a good chunk of undistracted time in which to focus on this book.
    There's another book in my bedside shelf, but I'm too lazy to go up and see what it is.

I, like NYCitygurl, am discontent unless I am surrounded by books, and in the middle of at least half of them. At least I have time for novels now, and am not up to my eyebrows in research books (hooray for being done with school!!). I missed my fantasy books.

(also, does anyone have any good Star Wars novel recs? I wanted to pick one up at the library the other day, but didn't want to get stuck with a doozy. I'm still a tad unfamiliar with SW, so I don't want to be COMPLETELY lost.)

2. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Paused Midnight Tides for The Swarm War. Where the bossk did my Dracula go? It couldn't have vanished . . .

3. Pigalek

Pigalek Jedi Knight star 5

May 23, 2001
    currently re-reading Darksong by Isabelle Carmondy and first time reading Knight of the Demon Queen by Barbra Hambly

4. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    Beyond Heaven's River by Greg Bear

5. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    The Well of Lost Plots by Jasper Fforde

6. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (for about the dozenth time, since the library doesn't have the second Thurs Next book [face_plain] But hey, it's still great. )

7. Raja_Io

Raja_Io Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2005
    Ursula le Guin "Malafrena"

8. malcolm-darth-am-i

malcolm-darth-am-i Jedi Padawan star 4

May 21, 2005
    The Stand- Stephen Kong

Angles and Deamonds
    - Dan Brown
    Da Vinci Code

9. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dark_Lady_Jada Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2004
    Just started Dark Lord by James Lucerno

10. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    I'm about to start the Drawing of the Three, while continuing on with Marley and Me.

11. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Found my old copy of Verdant Passage and am contemplating tracking down the rest of them now that I've reread it.

I need some more books.

12. Isbeth

Isbeth Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    I just finished reading the novelization of the orginal Stargate book. Wasn't great, just ok. Have some questions about Stargate novels in general. In order to not go off topic here, I started a thread, [line=http://boards.theforce.net/science_fiction_and_fantasy_books_and_comics/b10749/22960321/p1/?0]here[/link]. So if you have read any Stargate novels, go there to help answer questions for me. Many thanks. :)

13. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Foundation and Chaos by Greg Bear, as part of Isaac Asimov's Robot-Empire-Foundation series

14. C3P0_R2D2

C3P0_R2D2 Jedi Master star 2

Jan 23, 2005
    And before everyone asks, yes I'm reading this simultaneously, with atleast one chapter from each book read every 3-4 days.

Angels and Demons
    One of the Princess Diary books (can't remember the name right now, it's 6:15 where I am)
    Book of War- John Peel, Diadem
    Book of Oceans- John Peel, Diadem
    Wizards at War- Diane Duane, Young Wizards
    Swarm War- (Have realized I apparently missed... chapters in earlier books, didn't get insinuated items, or am experiencing very early memory loss[face_worried])
    Animal Farm- (boring, too many metaphors (keep in mind I'm 13, almost 14, and required reading *sighs*)
    Currant Events- Piers Anthony, Xanth
    Lord Dastard- Piers Anthony, Xanth
    Zombie Lover- Piers Anthony, Xanth
    Dragon on a Pedestal- Piers Anthony, Xanth

I suggest reading the Diadem books if you're under 18. They're short, and I can finish them in a day, with 200-300 pages, roughly. I'm waiting to get Earth(favorite, that I previously borrowed from library) and Reality when it comes out.

The Young Wizards books by Diane Duane are good. There are 8, with Wizards at War being the last, until around August, and A Wizard on Mars comes out. I seriously suggest you read these, though they may be hard to find, because they've been in print a while. They're more cult books than mainstream books. That may be a bad metaphor.

And I did spell Currant Events correctly. Xanth has quite a few puns. You'd have to read it to understand.

15. Queen_Pixie

Queen_Pixie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 1999
    Wow, Animal Farm required reading at 13? That was an extra credit book in my senior year Government class. I didn't read it then, but read it a few years ago, and I couldn't imagine reading it at 13.

I am currently re-reading book 1 in the Star Trek Invasion series.

16. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    I'm reading Beowulf for Brit Lit and Sleeping Beauty for my Children's Lit. I'm enjoying Beowulf. Only the 4 time I've had to read it for a class in 2 years.

17. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    Revenge of the Sith and Swarm War.

18. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dec 7, 2004
    I just finished reading Dark Lord by James Lucerno. I highly recommend it. And I was quite skeptical going into it.

I'm waiting for my copy of the Dark Nest Trilogy to be sent to me.

I am also reading Boundaries in Marriage. Excellent book! ;)

If anyone is interested in a recommendation for a quick and fun read I do recommend the book Slay and Rescue. That is a link to the thread I made about it and it has info on the book. :D

19. emilsson

emilsson Force Ghost star 6

Oct 5, 1998
    I hope I will find the time to finish Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere tonight. That book is addictive :).

20. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    Lords and Ladies by Terry Pratchett, plus Othello and Blake's Songs of Innocence and Experience for English.

Also I keep dipping into Paradise Lost because it's such a breathtaking work and I have to keep checking to make sure it's still there.

21. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    I just finished both The Swarm War (Star Wars EU) and Prince Caspian. I've been singing the praises of each of the Narnia books I've torn through, but this last one just left me feeling sort of empty.

Next up: Savage Sword of Conan by Robert E Howard, Dark Lord by James Luceno, and Cell by Stephen King.

22. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    From what I've read and heard Prince Caspian is usually the least favorite of the books.

23. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dec 7, 2004
    Roland, I think you will enjoy Dark Lord. :)

I just started Survivor's Quest.

24. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    I just finished Odd Thomas, by Dean Koontz, which was quite an intruiging novel. Next up is War of the Flowers by Tad Williams.

25. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    I think it's time for me to revisit this question...

Right now, I'm currently handling three books at one time (call me crazy): Dune, Travels, and Night (that has an odd ring...).

Lately I just finished The Cinema of George Lucas. Good read. Gotta love the Oh So Great Plaid Flanneled One.

Once I'm done with the current three, I'll move back to reading the second book of Timothy Zahn's series- Dark Force Rising. After that, The Last Command.

Light reading includes The Power of Myth.

One book that I started reading and got sidetracked from was the sixth Dark Tower book.

And at the bottom of my list but one I'm struggling to reach is the first book of the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever.

Wish me luck! :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.