main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What book are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Community' started by droideka27, Aug 31, 2005.

1. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    That was a great and quick read. I never read the first book in the series but I was able to catch on just fine.

Going to start Busted in Bollywood by Nicola Marsh today.

2. emilsson

emilsson Force Ghost star 6

Oct 5, 1998
    Ian Mortimer's books are great, both the Time Traveller's guides and his more academic works.

I've finished A gathering storm, which is now my favourite of the Wheel of Time-series. But before I borrow the next book I'll read Mikkel Birkegaard's The Library of Shadows. I've never read anything by this author and so it will be quite interesting.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  3. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    [​IMG]

i started The Psychopath Test last night and im burning through it. i should be done by the end of the day

its a new investigative journalism joint by jon ronson, the dude who wrote The Men Who Stare at Goats. 'bout as brisk a read you can find without making you feel like an idiot. touches on such diverse topics as the history of scientology and psychiatry, organized around a central theme of the idea that psychopaths are more common than you'd think and become increasingly more common "at the top", with their inability to feel making them uniquely qualified to succeed in our ****** society. ultimately he sort of suggests that civilization itself arose and has evolved in part to serve the needs of charismatic psychopaths, and he makes a decent case for this hypothesis. the oft quoted figure in the book is that 1 percent of all people are psychopaths. very interesting, very funny, very scary.

reads sort of like if Jabbadabbado wrote a book, so if you like his posts id say deffo give this a looksee

4. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I read this last year. Fun read, and I do like Ronson's style.

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  5. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    there you have it, folks

6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I enjoyed the Ronson 'Psychopath' book as well when I read it last year. Haven't read the 'Goats' book though. It didn't really interest me when I saw it in the bookstore. (Nor did I see the film).

7. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    That sounds like a fun read. :D

8. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    I'm going to have to check out the last couple books on that list... eventually. And naturally, I've read the first three already :p

I downloaded Sanderson's Legion on my Kindle the other day. Interesting, so far. Very unusual.

RC-1991 and NYCitygurl like this.
  9. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    reading the psychopath test is already more than worth it because i learned about toto constant's apartment full of cartoon figurines, which, despite having spent a lot of time reading up on US involvement in haiti, i did not know about before today

**** me

10. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    okay, all finished. the second half of the book muddies the waters a bit and talks at length about the messiness of psychiatric diagnosis in general which is an interesting topic but one ive already read and heard a lot about so i was a little disappointed to be jerked out of the world of psychopathy for such long periods. still, a good book overall and i would recommend it to anyone for a quick, engaging read

11. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    The past couple of books kinda makes mine pale in comparison, but I've been reading a book called "Blind Man's Bluff," about the USA's use of submarines to spy on various targets, like the former USSR. It covers the cold war era and is very interesting.

12. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    Busted in Bollywood as great. What a fun read :D

Still reading the Card novel at work. For home, I'm on Smokin' Seventeen by Janet Evanovich.

13. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Just finished the novel a few days ago. Well done and am looking forward to what's coming next. Now I'm in between books. Taking a week or two off before I either continue one of my books I stopped reading when I started the Song of Fire and Ice series or read Deathtroopers.

14. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    Just finished reading the Bible. I decided two or three years ago to read it cover to cover and now it's been done. :)

PRENNTACULAR likes this.
  15. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I read it a couple years ago and almost got it done.

16. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    What stopped you from finishing it?

17. Zane the Reaper

Zane the Reaper Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2012
    [​IMG]

Amazing narrative exploration of race relations in the early 20th century. Illustrates the fear, anger, and hopelessness that racism and segregation creates. As I read of it I find myself thinking of Crime and Punishment.

Incredibly moving but heavy.

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  18. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I did that a few years ago as well, though I'll admit to skipping the books with all the 'person A begat person B' information . Life is too short...

NYCitygurl likes this.
  19. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    I skimmed those sections.

20. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The last section of the Old Testament (Prophets I Think) and the letters section of the New Testament

21. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
  22. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Reading this one right now...

[​IMG]

It's pretty good so far. Very engaging and moves quickly. It would be hard to give a plot summary without potentially giving too much away, so I'll leave it at that... but I recommend it.

23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Vector Prime.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  24. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Is this your first time or a re-read?

25. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I read it many years ago and don't remember any of it other than one major plot point so I'm counting it as a first read.

NYCitygurl likes this.