main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What changes would you like to vote on?

Discussion in 'Archive: Literature Poll forum' started by Gandalf the Grey, Sep 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    This thread is to be used to suggest issues to create polls on this forum. If a reasonable request is made, and it looks like people support/are against an idea, we?ll make a poll or thread to help determine what the new policy is.

2. Amidala Starkiller

Amidala Starkiller Jedi Master star 6

Dec 11, 1999
    How about a comic forum?

3. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    I don't think enough people read the comics to warrant it's own forum. Besides, there's always Dark Horse's forum.

4. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    How long before a book comes out are we allowed to discuss spoilers (especially relevant to those who get books early)?

5. Thejedikiller

Thejedikiller Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 26, 1999
    I agree with Mastage. I would like a defined stance on book spoilers prior to the books' release.

6. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    Ha!

I remember proposing to create a seperate books and comics forums, and I got shot down! :(

7. Amidala Starkiller

Amidala Starkiller Jedi Master star 6

Dec 11, 1999
    Well I thought since The Clone Wars was to be covered in the comics having forum just for comics would an ok idea.

8. DarthSikle

DarthSikle Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2000
    The Lit Forum seems to attract mostly people who read the novels. We need a seperate forum for Misc Literature such as comics and RPG's. The games forum does not work for RPG Lit fans since they are mostly interested in role play

9. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    I like that idea Sikle, except Ive noticed several things. One there are a large group of people who have really only read the NJO, and with all due respect to them, their knowledge is limited to that era.

I propose we sepearte the literature forum into two catagories, one exploring opinions on Bantham, RPG, Marvel and other old school recources, the other, a concentrated forum on keeping with the NJO.

10. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Humm. I think there should be a forum for RPG issues, but keep Lit the continuity forum.

11. The_Standmaiden

The_Standmaiden Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 28, 2002
    There is an RPG forum though, isn't there? Under EU somewhere?

12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    There is an RPG and RPF forum.

RPG is for discussion of the games.

RPF is for direct role-playing.

13. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I knew that. I really did. :p

14. GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE

GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE Jedi Knight star 7

May 8, 2002
    I think that a seperate comics forum with a link from literature which should be renamed novels if a comics forum was created would work very well.

Axl.

15. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    Here are excerpts from my previous proposal for changes to the Literature Forum (which resulted in the Authors & Artist and EU Community - both very successful. I didn't get all what I wanted, but the changes so far have worked).

1. "Books" - a new forum dealing only with SW books.
    2. "Authors" - a new forum (already being tested) with official threads for each author that has contributed to the Star Wars saga. Authors are encouraged to mingle with regular posters; conversation is not limited to SW books.
    3. "Comics" - a new forum meant for Dark Horse and Marvel comic series based on Star Wars (Tales of the Jedi, Infinities, the new ongoing, mini-series, etc).
    4. The present Lit Forum would become a catch all (named EU Misc.), meant for questions/ideas that would come up but are not appropriate for any of the 3 new forums. Debates would also take place here (canon arguments, inter-EU continuity, etc).

16. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    We need no new forums. There's not enough demand for comic discussion to warrant another forum, and the polls are being handled just fine right now.

17. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    I thought the main reason that separate books and comics forums were not supported was because there would be too much crossover defeating the need for separate forums. I like the current set up as is.

I think we need to discuss the following:
    - How can we better promote the FAQ and Literature Index to help prevent all the "newbie questions"?
    - Should we be able to lock our own topics? (I could have sworn we used to be able to do it before) This might alleviate some of the workload on the mods if people find out their own thread is redundant and lock it themselves.

18. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    Yes, that brings up another good issue DK. We really need to solve the amount of spam, and redundent questions floating around in the Lit.

19. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    Should we be able to lock our own topics? (I could have sworn we used to be able to do it before)

?[face_plain] You should be able to, as long as the editing period isn't over. After the 90 minutes is up, just PM a moderator.

20. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    Yes, that brings up another good issue DK. We really need to solve the amount of spam, and redundent questions floating around in the Lit.

Thats exactly what i was thinking chissdude.

21. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    Is there a way to remove the time limit on locking your own thread? People may not discover it is redundant until after the time limit runs out.

22. JediMasterAaron

JediMasterAaron Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 14, 2000
    This forum in and of itself is a great idea, and thanks to Gandolf for adding me to the access list. :)

I have to agree with Mastadge here in saying that there isn't enough traffic to warrant a completely separate comic forum. All comic questions seem to be handled very nicely inside the wider realm of the Literature one.

JMA

23. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    We can alter the times for locking, but that also affects the edit time. I already believe that having 90 minutes to edit your post is more than enough, and I don't think that not being able to lock possibly redundant threads is much of problem.

24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I have to agree with Mastadge here in saying that there isn't enough traffic to warrant a completely separate comic forum. All comic questions seem to be handled very nicely inside the wider realm of the Literature one.

I would also say that there are some comics out there that rival most crappy novel-literature being pumped out today... :)

Also that comics ARE, y'know, literature unto themselves...

25. wampa

wampa Jedi Master star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    I think there should be a poll for user preference of celebration threads in the Lit forum. One could vote for post count, registration anniversaries, both, or none. Personally, I think that the post count threads could occur every 10k posts and registration anniversaries threads could be allowable every fifth year. I think that celebration threads are good in moderation so the goals should be set pretty high for qualification to post one of these.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.