main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT What happened with R2-D2 on Mustafar? Why didn't he go find Anakin?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by BigAl6ft6, Nov 24, 2012.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    As much as I know, did a quick speed-skim, Artoo stays with the ship when Anakin lands to go take care of the Sepratists, then R2 is rolling up beside Obi-Wan to leave after Anakin's been all chopped up. Now, Padme was in apparent critical condition at the time and I think R2-D2 is technically owned by her (if Anakin can't have possessions, but Artoo was with Anakin on all those clone wars missions so I think if anyone owns Artoo it's Anakin and she probably gave R2 to him as a gift anyway) so maybe he went to his owner, which would be Padme. Also C-3PO was there so R2-D2 had to go find his buddy. Or maybe when Obi-Wan found him (or Artoo found Obi-Wan) he filled him in quickly on the details. Or maybe Obi-Wan just nodded at him. Or maybe Artoo followed Obi-Wan and Kenobi didn't even notice since he was probably understandably distracted. Or maybe R2-D2 kinda saw what Anakin did. But Anakin told him to stay with the ship! And Artoo seems like the loyal sort. Loyal enough to go find his "Master". Or, hell, maybe on the ride to Mustafar Anakin spilled his guts about all the evil doings he had been up to and R2-D2 was all like, "Yo, this boy be bugging, I'm gonna bounce!" or something.

Those are pretty much all of the options I can come up with, although maybe there are a few more, but maybe the truth is in there somewhere. PS- I've had a few beers to come to this thought process. Gotta watch more Dexter. brb.

2. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    R2-D2 is smart enough to know when to fold em, and roll away on the first friendly ship.

3. DarthRelaxus

DarthRelaxus Chosen One star 5

Apr 23, 2007
    R2 stayed focused on his mission instead of letting feelings interfere, unlike Anakin.

4. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    But his "mission" was to stay with the ship.

It seems like he made up a new mission.

Darth Dominikkus likes this.
  5. DarthRelaxus

Apr 23, 2007
    By the way, what happened to that ship?

6. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Left on Mustafar waiting to for someone to fly it.

CoolyFett likes this.
  7. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Disney needs to put out an SE of ROTS that the addition is R2 flying around witnessing the lightsbaer fight, he gets a few closeups of sad-beeps as he watches his master go crazy.

8. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    You're probably joking, but I'd loved to see that. First of all, for continuity (how did he get to Padme's ship, really?). Second, it makes the whole affair even sadder. Poor R2 :( No wonder he ran away from Luke.

9. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I think it'd kinda get right in the middle of the flow of the Yoda / Sidious & Anakin / Obi-Wan fight. Like just randomly cutting to Artoo looking bummed out and buzzing around in the background might be a bit jarring. Maybe a "My worst (k)night ever, by R2-D2" novella.

_Sublime_Skywalker_ likes this.
  10. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Probably the same way Anakin did.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  11. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Still R2 appeared out of nowhere. C3PO could have said something like "Here's R2! And we have Miss Padme aboard".

12. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Yeah, but he was supposed to stay with Anakin's ship, was he?

I know, it's nitpicking. R2 is a smart cookie.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  13. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    So what difference does it make if he rolls or flies to Padme's ship?

14. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Are Anakin's and Padme's ships on the same landing platform?

CoolyFett likes this.
  15. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    No, but Anakin doesn't fly.

16. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Well if they're close to each other than R2 simply saw Padme's and moved to it.

17. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I just assumed the platform Anakin landed on was on the other side of the complex, and Padme landed on the other platform. Anakin just got there by walking through the main part after he made with the killing of all the Sepratists. Of course, that entire complex does have the side of it snap off in the middle of Obi-Wan & Anakin's fight (!) Wow, this is getting more complicated by the minute!

18. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Anyone has a map of the complex layout?

19. King Terak

King Terak Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 22, 2012
    Dangerous and disturbing this puzzle is, Getting harder to answer, meditate on this we will.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  20. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Maybe Anakin destroyed his ship in a fit of rage as a symbol of ending his old life. Then R2-D2 kinda got the idea.

21. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    He didn't, he was supposed to get back to Sidious.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  22. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    That's like, really ridiculous.

_Sublime_Skywalker_ likes this.
  23. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    C'mon, dude, he's a Sith Lord! He coulda been all like "I hate you!" to his ship and stuff and I'm sure he could have lied, cheated, and murdered his way back to Courscant when he was done. Hell, the Sepratists probably came in some sweet rides, maybe he wanted one of Poggle the Lesser's cool transport instead of his grungy old Jedi ride.

24. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Even Sith lords don't get angry for no reason. Anakin/Vader liked his tech. He wasn't even mean with R2.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  25. DarthRelaxus

Apr 23, 2007
    Maybe Artoo heard Anakin say "I hate you!" and didn't realized he meant Kenobi.