main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "What is a weekend?" The Downton Abbey Adoration Thread (unhighlighted spoilers after UK eps. air)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Everton, Sep 1, 2011.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Some people are just bad seeds. It hurts nothing to admit that. :p

2. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    When I happen across a series (or film) I really love I will watch it on broadcast or in the cinema, and then perhaps once more before waiting as long as I can to revisit it. This strategy - I always hope - maximises my enjoyment of repeat viewings.

Doesn't always work, but it has with Downton Abbey. I haven't watched it through since it was aired in 2010 and despite promising myself I would wait until closer to the broadcast date of series two before watching it again I have caved a couple of weeks early. Yesterday I went out and bought the Blu-ray. Two episodes in and I remember so much, and yet some of the details seem so fresh.

Knowing what is to come, and admiring how those events are constructed by Julian Fellowes is nothing short of a joy.

Anna's instant affection for Bates, Lady Sybil's instinctive contradictions of 'the done thing' are leading beautifully to her story in later episodes. The scenes between Lady Sybil, Lady Mary and Lady Edith (my how well those three are drawn!). O'Brien's descent begins much earlier than I remembered. The scene in episode two when she challenges Cora in front of the household staff is terrific. Speaking of Cora, she's made of stone. The unspoken respect between Carson and Mrs. Hughes is brilliant... I love the way Jim Carter handles the embarrassment his character feels when his former stage-partner shows up. He's so proud of himself, of what he's become at Downton, and yet the more he progresses the more he seems to question himself. Bates is so keen to stress to Anna how what we don't know about a person we like can change our perceptions of them. Anna says no, Bates says yes... oh man I can't wait for that episode! The scene in episode two when Thomas dances with Daisy... I know it's intended to draw her into a larger game but Thomas did seem to be genuinely enjoying it. Even O'Brien smiled (despite herself!).

If I had a Butler, it would be Moseley. :D

3. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    This.

And this.

I hope O'Brien's conscience is REALLY torturing her, after she caused Cora's miscarriage. But it just might be enough to set her on the redemption path... we'll see.

On the other hand, I wish all the worst to Thomas. He's a nasty bastard.

4. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Never seen it

5. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Then you are mad.

6. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Indeed. I'm not really a fan of period drama (the Austen adaptations make me want to smash my TV) aside from the odd Dickens production, but this show really works very well. It should give the genre a new lease of life with the modern audience which is a good thing in a time when TV is accused of dumbing down too much.

I do think its success does partly lie with the fact it is an original story written for TV and not the millionth adaptation of some long and tedious victorian era novel that ponders along and ultimately comes to a predictable ending. I'm all for adapting books, but it was done to death in this genre and it needed something fresh.

7. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Episodes 3, 4 and 5 down. Double-bill tonight to finish the series. :D

Oh yeah, and the way Carson gave the typewriter such a wide berth was hilarious. :p

Anna finally told Bates she loved him, and knowing what I know I wanted to poke Bates in the eye! [face_frustrated] Anna's so direct when she gets the chance to be. Earlier on she prompted Bates by saying that it's always sad when you love someone who doesn't love you back... and in response Bates at least gave her something to chew on... because he sure as heck isn't going to give up anything voluntarily (but even then it was in the cause of self-defence).

And although Thomas is a bastard I still can't believe Fellowes would include such a one-dimensional character in his drama. I feel confident there is something positive to come for this character. Perhaps an act of great self-sacrifice? It doesn't need to be a free pass to redemption, but he will do something good. There has to be something because if he concludes as simply a villain then my respect for the show will be diminished. Downton thrives on light and shade.

EDIT: The bit where Bates suggests a search for the missing snuff box prompting Thomas and O'Brien to leap out of their chairs is hilarious!

8. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Finished the series.

The last episode could perhaps have done with more room to breath... but overall I am now SERIOUSLY excited for September 18th.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm going to look into buying a bluray drive just for this series. I blame Everton. :p

10. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Jello conversion process: COMPLETE

:p

11. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Conversion to what? :p

12. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I am delighted to accept responsibility - morally if not financially - for this turn of events. :p

13. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Nice image of the series 2 cast:

[image=http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/4334/downtonabbeyseason2bann.jpg]

And the series 2 trailer

14. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    I'm not normally into blue-eyed blond-haired men, but Matthew in a uniform = yum. [face_love]

15. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Edited in the trailer.

16. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
  17. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    I've started rewatching the first series and I'm surprised to notice how much Gwen the housemaid resembles Idri... :p Except that she's a redhead, whereas Idri is blonde.

But anyway, I still marvel at the fantastic performances all around. Great ensemble cast.

18. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    I saw this on Netflix instant, I think I'll start watching it.

19. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    You definitely, definitely, definitely should.

20. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    I am thinking of watching this show.

21. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    lol, but think harder.

22. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    I'm thinking as hard as I can, and am now wondering if my warp drive can take the stress.

23. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    Oh my goodness, those trailers were amazing!! Can't wait!!

24. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Plus you get to watch it 'live' now! :p

25. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm not going to watch the trailers. Spoiler freeeeeee. Although the promo picture spoils quite a bit. Noooo.

Blu-ray drive is here. Now just need to wait for the damn discs.