main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What is the rank of a Squardron?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Neon Star, Sep 21, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neon Star

Neon Star Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2000
    I was just wondering if anyone knows what the ranks of a Squardron is.

2. Artemis_Silverbow

Artemis_Silverbow Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2001
    I assume you want to know what ranks the pilots in a squadron usually have. If I remember correctly, in the X-wing books, the commander of the squadron was anything from a Captain to a Colonel(though I imagine no one would tell a General he couldn't fly if he really wanted to ;)) usually, however, the commander was a Commander. The executive officer(XO) was usually a Captain, and the rest of the pilots were either Lieutenants(sp?) or Flight Officers-unless they were still in training, in which case they were Flight Cadets. Hope this helps :)

3. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Actually, Neon, the commanders of squads can be anything from Lieutenant to General. All they have to do is lead the squad. The same is true for XOs I believe. Everyone else in the squad is, well, lower than the XO in the promo chain.

4. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    (Flight Officer --> Lieutenant --> Captain --> Major --> Lieutenant Colonel --> Colonel --> General)
    I think for an average squadron, you?d have nine Flight Officers, three lieutenants, and one captain.

Example:
    Red 1 Captain and Leader
    Red 2 Flight Officer (least experienced member is leaders wingman)
    Red 3 Lieutenant
    Red 4 Flight Officer
    Red 5 Lieutenant
    Red 6 Flight Officer
    Red 7 Flight Officer
    Red 8 Flight Officer
    Red 9 Lieutenant
    Red 10 Flight Officer
    Red 11 Flight Officer
    Red 12 Flight Officer

One of the Lieutenants would be the XO. This is for an average squadron. For an elite squad like the Rogues were at the time of the Thrawn books, bump everyone?s rank up one notch. For a group like the Rogues were as the Hand of Thrawn, bump everyone up two-three ranks. Though the Rogues of that period were an anomaly- everyone in the squad was capable of leading a squad of their own and probably be a rank higher, but chose to fly as Rogues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.