main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga What Prequel Fans Would Change About the OT

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Corran1138, Jan 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Corran1138

Corran1138 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 7, 2012
    We all know how OT-only fans hate the special editions, DVD versions, and Blu Ray editions of the saga, partially because parts of the OT have been edited to fit more closely with the PT. This is a question for those who are fans of the Prequel trilogy, and the saga as a whole. Is there anything that you would change in the original trilogy to create MORE continuity with the prequels?

I always wished that Sidious and Yoda made an appearance in ANH. It would be awesome if there was some way to do that. I remember watching the saga with my wife (then girlfriend) for the first time, and when we got to ANH she kept asking, "Where's Yoda?" It's strange that two major characters in the story don't make an appearance for a whole film. I would also like to see Coruscant somehow included in the OT.

Please, no prequel bashing on this thread.

2. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Just fixing the lightsabers, laser bolts, and engine glows would be enough. Making some new viewscreen graphics and holograms wouldn't hurt either.

3. Darth Georgia

Darth Georgia Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 5, 2012
    Sidious in ANH. I like that Yoda doesn't appear until ESB. But a hologram of the Emperor would make sense

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'd change the dialogue about Leia remembering her mother, although I don't have anything specific in mind about how. Just so that neither twin remembers her, or both do through the Force.

5. Eryndil

Eryndil Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 18, 2012
    A few more references to the Clone Wars would be cool. There must be people around who remember them.

6. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Removing all puppetry - especially Yoda, and removing all claymation/stop-motion - especially the rancor, and replacing it with Prequel-quality CGI. If I got the right to Star Wars that would literally be the FIRST think I would do!

7. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Changes to Vader's dialogue. Pretty much through the entire OT Vader speaks in a way I could never see Anakin speaking.

8. CaptainRegor

CaptainRegor Jedi Master star 3

Nov 15, 2012
    I'm happy how they all are but let's see I argree with Eryndill they talk about the Clone Wars as it was a very very long time ago but infact even Han Solo is old enough to remember it.
    Including Coruscant/Senate/Palpatine's office would have been cool though, but as I said I'm very pleased with how they all are.

9. Kweh-chan

Kweh-chan Jedi Master star 1

Mar 7, 2006
    Absolutely nothing :)

You can't tamper with perfection.

windu4, VMeran, fistofan1 and 3 others like this.
  10. FARK2005

FARK2005 Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2012
    Seeing Palpatine dissolve the Senate and the reaction of the various senators (in particular people like Bail Organa and Mon Mothma) comes first to mind.

fistofan1 and CaptainRegor like this.
  11. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

What perfection?:rolleyes: The OT is no more perfect than the PT, as far as I'm concerned.

12. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    Say the names of more characters. Like "Palpatine", I would have loved it if one character said "Emperor Palpatine".

Also, stick a Battle Droid somewhere in the background*. Perhaps on the Sandcrawler or in the background of a Mos Eisley shot doing menial work.

* Adding a Dug in Jabba's Palace was a cool addition, something like that

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Kweh-chan like this.
  13. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In the novel of RoTJ, Luke's words are:

"Never! Never will I turn to the dark side! You have failed, Palpatine. I am a Jedi, like my father before me."

He also never addresses him as "your highness" the way he does in the movie.

14. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    He said "your highness" in a sarcastic tone, because he is boldly proclaiming that he will never serve Palpatine. It wouldn't work otherwise.

It's just like in ROTS when Anakin says "this is the end for you my Master."

15. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Get Temuera Morrison to replace Boba's dialog in ROTJ. Granted, it's just "What the!" and a scream, but is is so obvious that it's not Morrison, even though he replaced the dialog in TESB.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  16. DarthRuss

DarthRuss Jedi Youngling

Sep 26, 2004
    I like the middle trilogy of episode 3, 4 and 5. I did not really like 1, 2 and 6 and do not watch them very often.

17. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    I can't speak from the perspective of a PT fan but I agree with the idea of removing Leia's dialogue about remembering her mother. On the issue of Palpatine/Yoda in ANH, I like that they're missing. For one, when viewed in sequence, ANH is seen as a deviation: from the galactic center of the PT, to the planet furthest from; from the inner circle of galactic politics to a farm boy and a down-on-his-luck smuggler; from an army of Jedi knights to a crazy old wizard. That abrupt change takes us away from the world of Palpatine (and Yoda's exile is irrelevant to the story.) Second, it really would serve no purpose--other then to say "hey, there's that character from the other movies!" A lot of great TV shows (particularly those with a larger cast) don't have every character in every episode. It makes sense that they're off doing other things or that that particular episode has a different focus.

18. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    I'd depict the Stormtrooper Corps as a more brutally efficient force of evil. Maybe even leave the Stormtroopers in Phase II armor.

Also, I'd have Bail Organa in it. His tragic death when Alderaan blows up would leave an impact on the viewer.

CoolyFett and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  19. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Can we just cut out the scene in ROTS where she dies of a broken heart instead? [face_sick]

20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    As long as she doesn't die from Anakin choking her, I'm fine.

_Catherine_ likes this.
  21. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Instead of "I have you now" at the end of ANH, have Vader say "Now THIS is pod racing!"

J/K

But seriously, I would change all of Obi-Wan's "lies" about the past except for telling Luke that Vader betrayed and murdered Anakin.

Get rid of "I don't remember ever owning a droid", "your father wanted you to have this when you were old enough" and "I took it upon myself to train him as a Jedi" (replace the last one with "my mentor's dying wish was that I train him as a Jedi")

22. Darth_Monkey_Boy

Darth_Monkey_Boy Jedi Knight

Oct 11, 2008
    I dunno. I see this "lie" as one that would have to be told in order for Luke to really want to leave the planet and start the training of becoming a Jedi. As he later tells Obi, "I want to train to become a Jedi Knight, like my father." I am one who was actually a tad disappointed that Lucas made a point to show Obi-Wan picking up Anakin's lightsaber at the end of "ROTS". Before that, I never really thought that it actually belonged to Anakin, and afterwards I saw it as unnecessary to show. The whole point was to get Luke to begin the training. None of what he said in that scene had to be true.

As for changes, nothing too major. I can agree with Leia's talk of her mother... although that doesn't really bother me either since she says, "Images...feelings, really." She could just as easily be talking about dreams put together from seeing pictures and holograms of Padme she'd seen when she was very little. Maybe have a few Stormtroopers with Jango's voice. Not every one of 'em, but to hear the occasional voice coming outta one of the uniforms... that would be cool.

23. windu4

windu4 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2008
    It really wouldn't be fair for the OT to be changed to make up for continuity issues with the whole saga. It was up to Lucas to make sure that the PT was aligned with the OT and the fact that we'd have to edit the OT in order to make it have more continuity seems a bit unfair. Especially when the PT was made so long after the OT came out.

24. Darth_Monkey_Boy

Darth_Monkey_Boy Jedi Knight

Oct 11, 2008
    Oh! You're no fun! :p

25. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007

Paparazzo, Iron_lord and Seagoat like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.