main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit What to read after the Thrawn Trilogy?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Catia, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Catia

Catia Jedi Youngling

Aug 19, 2013
    Hi! I recently started reading the Thrawn trilogy as a way to "enter" the expanded universe of Star Wars. I am now finishing the last book in the series and was wondering if anyone has any tips book (or comic) to continue the story about the point where it stopped. o_O I've heard a lot about the twins Solo older but could not find exactly what book it is shown or if there is some chronologically before that. It is so much content that is kind of confusing :confused:

Anyway, any tip is welcome and thank you! :)

ps.: I am new in the forum and I'm Brazilian, so I apologize for any wrong word or wrong action [face_batting]

[​IMG]

2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I suggest:

Jump back a few years and read X-Wing 1-7, then X-Wing 8, then I,Jedi.

Grab the collections Tales from the Empire and Tales from the New Republic.

Read Hand of Thrawn then Survivor's Quest / Outbound Flight

Follow up with Allegiance / Choices of One jump back and then, grab the 20th Anniversary Edition of HTTE and the circle is complete!

Catia likes this.
  3. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh and X-Wing 9, don't forget that one.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  4. Catia

Catia Jedi Youngling

Aug 19, 2013

Wow that was fast!

Thanks for the tips, I think I'll start with the x-wing series then :)

5. HWK-290

HWK-290 Jedi Padawan star 2

Jul 29, 2013
    If you find that X-Wing 1-4 are not to your liking, feel free to skip directly to #5, Wraith Squadron. You won't miss a thing. Sh-She won't get a scratch!

kataja and Catia like this.
  6. Catia

Catia Jedi Youngling

Aug 19, 2013
    Haha I'll remember that :p
    My biggest problem will even be having these books, I found that these books not released here in Brazil. :c
    The way will be reading anything I find and expect to do the shopping on my trip to the United States. ^^

7. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    i suggest that you back up to Shadows of the Empire to get the whole story on Luke's journey as a true jedi. Courtship of Princess Leia, Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor, and then hit The Jedi Academy Trilogy

Catia likes this.
  8. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    I would reccomend I Jedi and the Hand of Thrawn Trilogy as books to read.

9. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    The Dark Empire comics!

brianmays, DigitalMessiah and Catia like this.
  10. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    Of course I'm only talking from personal preference, but must reads from the post-ROTJ-EU after the Thrawn-trilogy are:

- DarkEmpire,
    - I, Jedi (looks into the establishing of the Jedi-Academy and saves you from reading the JAT),
    - BlackFleet-trilogy (Before the Storm / Shield of Lies / Tyrant's Test),
    - CorelliaTrilogy (Ambush at Corellia / Assault at Selonia / Showdown at Centerpoint),
    - Hand of Thrawn-duology (Spectres of the Past / Visions of the Future), this duology brings closure to the Bantam EU and the war with the empire.

Aside from that, if you are interested in the classical trilogy-era, good reads are Aaron Allston's X-Wing-novels, Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor, A.C.Crispin'S HanSolo-trilogy and Shadows of the Empire. Anything else written in that time-frame like Jedi Academy-trilogy, Crystal Star or the New Rebellion is a waste of paper.

After that, if you are still in the mood for SW, you can start with the novels of the NewJediOrder. Unfortunately, after that, the post-ROTJ-EU turns into crap. Utter crap. So much crap, that you'd have to invent a new word for it. You'd better turn to novels of the Prequel-era.

DigitalMessiah and Catia like this.
  11. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    I greatly recommend the NJO series after you get up on some classic bantam novels to give you some historic perspective. But don't expect to be happy with mushc post NJO.

12. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    To continue the story where it left off, I'd follow Jedi Ben's recommendations above- it gives you the works of the same author (Zahn) plus the material by the authors that collaborated with his work the most (Stackpole, and by extension, Allston). However, I'd suggest a few tweaks:

-The two "Tales From..." anthology books aren't necessary reads, but the main novellas in them by Zahn and Stackpole do flesh out some of the characters. They're good reads, just not must-reads.

-X-Wing 7, while completing the "Wraith Squadron" story arc of books 5-7, leaves a significant plotline lingering that is resolved in The Courtship of Princess Leia. The downside is that Courtship really isn't that good (some of it's plotlines are good, but Han in particular has awful characterization). Still, it does help bring events, more or less, up to just before where the Thrawn Trilogy begins.

-You'll probably want to read the Dark Empire comic series (or at least Dark Empire 1. 2 isn't bad but kinda goes down hill after that) after X-Wing 8 but before I, Jedi and X-Wing 9. Some significant events occur in that series that are difficult to overlook.

brianmays and DigitalMessiah like this.
  13. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    I... cannot for the life of me figure out what part of the trilogy that's from. What the hell is wrong with me?

14. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    She won't get a scratch.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  15. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Come on, RotJ, when Han is saying good bye to Lando before boarding the shuttle Tydirium.

16. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
    Ahhhhhh that makes sense. I'm ready for my stoning now.

JediMatteus, Catia and kataja like this.
  17. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    I'd recommend Truce at Bakura and Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor. They're both set before TTT, but IMO they're some of the best EU novels in general.

Aslo, nice to see other non-native-english-speakers here [:D]

18. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
    I think there are quite a few non-native speakers here, aren't there? Ceiran is the only one I can think of off the top of my head. We have quite a few non-native speakers over at the Wook, too; about half of the "Wookieepedian of the Month" winners from the last year have been, including the current candidate, whose first language is Czech. What's my point? Uh... some cliched motivational statement about how Star Wars is universal? :confused:

Anyway, I agree with Ben's suggestion of going back and reading the X-wing books. Don't wait ten years to read them like I did.

19. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    There are quite a few, yes. Our current 181st host is, correct me if I'm wrong, Grey1, German, or at least German-speaking. We have a decent few Germans here, plus some folks from the Spanish-speaking world. I can think of some Finns, and I believe we have some other Scandinavians. I've also seen French, and I want to say at least one Italian, I think at least one Pole . . . it's a diverse crowd.

And then, of course, we have GrandAdmiralJello, whose first language is Latin.

20. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    No Freudian slip of "a few decent Germans"? [face_beatup]

Yeah, I think us Germans like our nerdy franchise fandom stuff. We're also probably the last country in which classic prog rock ("that radio-friendly single changed everything - suddenly women came to our concerts!") is still worshipped.

By the way, I wonder why I haven't asked the thread's question yet - obviously you should read the Jed Academy Trilogy. Historically, it was the next big story after Thrawn (you could squeeze Dark Empire between those two, but since it's a comic...); it sets up a lot of what's to come and stay in later EU (for example the Jedi Academy); and most importantly, whether you'll like Kevin J. Anderson's prose or not, you currently have your very own group of people to discuss the books with!

21. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    James Earl Jones isn't so awesome, once you've heard Heinz Petruo voice Darth Vader. :)

22. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
  23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    !? Ever hear about the Geordie Edit of Star Wars? Has the Emperor as voiced by Get Carter Caine!

24. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    Dark Empire and Crimson Empire

25. Catia

Catia Jedi Youngling

Aug 19, 2013
    Hi again! First, thanks for all the answers! I'm trying to do a "reading plan" based on what you are talking about and I came to this:
    - X-Wing 5-8
    - Dark Empire 1.2
    - I, Jedi
    - X-Wing 9
    - The Jedi Academy Trilogy
    I was very interested in other books you mentioned but could not organize them in that sequence. o_O Anyway, I think I already have enough material to start at least.
    And it's nice to know that Star Wars has so many fans around the world, although isn't as popular here as in other countries, is something that everyone knows.