main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last book you bought?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Chancellor_Ewok, Jun 19, 2009.

1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Amazon UK order arrived the other day with SW: Crosscurrent, though I pre-ordered it awhile back. I'm reading it now.

2. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    My last two were in the same purchase. Night of Knives and Chronicles of the Black Company.

3. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Found L.E. Modesitt's Elysium Commission in the bargain section today, so naturally I picked it up. Its one of his SF works I haven't read.

Also picked up the paperback copy of Shadows of Mindor and looked at Card's Hidden Empire... I'll be getting that from the library sometime soon. The dust jacket convinced me not to wait, though I wasn't going to pay hardback prices for it :p

4. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Last two things I picked up were:

London by Edward Rutherford- I'm a sucker for 1000 page historical epics, and I've been to London twice.

Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor- I've been waiting to pick this one up in paperback.

5. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    What's London about? (and by that I mean, what time period and is it a history book or a historical fiction novel?)

6. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Picked up eight books from the used bookstore today [face_whistling]

:D

7. Duragizer

Duragizer Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2009
    I just bought a beat-up copy of Assault at Selonia that my local library recently weeded.

8. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Nice catch :D

RJ, that is awesome!! What books?

9. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Books 2,3,4 in the Troy Game series (ironically, I was just about to start the first when I found those), a few Forgotten Realms books, and one of the books in the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, which has been recommended to me a few times... won't get around to reading that one for a while, though.

10. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Backlash

11. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Oh yeah, my copy of Backlash should arrive soon :) Early next week at the latest.

I think I'm set for a while again...

12. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    Troy Game? What's that about, RJ?

Today I bought Backlash, American Gods by Neil Gaiman, Rama II by Arthur C. Clarke, and State of Fear by Michael Crichton.

13. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    The Rama books are pretty good, as I recall.

The Troy Game series is set in the ancient world, a bit over 1000 years BC (a few generations after the fall of Troy)... I haven't gotten very far into it yet so its hard to say much.

14. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    Just about anything by Arthur C. Clarke is pretty darn good!

Is the Troy Game series fantasy or historical fiction?

15. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Fantasy. Definitely fantasy. The "Game" is the source of magic.

Oh, and its not completely set in the ancient world - there are snippets set in London in the 1930s (haven't figured out how that fits in yet, but I'm sure it'll be revealed eventually) and I think the other books take place in other time periods... don't really know much yet :p

16. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    I'm going to check it out, just out of curiosity. Maybe I'll finally find a fantasy novel I actually like. :p Well, there's David Gemmell's novels, but those are predominately historical fiction. Reimagined historical fiction.

17. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Keep in mind I'm not sure I'll recommend them yet. Can't do that until after I've at least read most of the first book and have a better grasp on what it's about :p

18. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Oh, man. You go for a fantasy series and you want that one :p

Sara Douglass used to be my favorite author, but . . . oh man. Though since you have them already :p read them and share.

The books are set a hundred years after the fall of Troy, in the time of William the Conquerer (pre-conquering), during the reign of Charles II, and WWII.

19. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Note that I didn't pay full price for any of them - discount pile (I think it was $4 for the hardback, IIRC) and used bookstore ;)

20. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] Smart, then. I paid full price for the first hardcover when it came out 8-}

21. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    So I paid notably less for the entire series than you paid for the first one [face_laugh]

22. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Yep :p In my defense, I made several dumb book purchasing decisions when I was in middle school :p

23. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    Now I am seriously, extremely intrigued. Looks like I might be making a dumb purchasing decision of my own. :p After RJ's official recommendation, of course. [face_laugh]

24. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Its Michener-style historical fiction, which means its a 1000 page paper brick :p. The time period is Julius Caesar to the presnt day.

Bought Rise to Rebellion by Jeff Shaara at an estate sale today. I bought the sequel, The Glorious Cause, which is oustanding BTW, six or seven years ago and I've been looking for Rise to Rebellion ever since.

25. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Awesome :D Might have to check that one out.

Wait until RJ's read the whole series. The premise is good, the first two books are fine . . . and then things get weird. I actually wouldn't recommend the series.