main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What was the point of the Buzz Droids?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by YoungAngus, Dec 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YoungAngus

YoungAngus Jedi Master star 5

May 7, 2005
    I don't understand why the Sep. Forces would use Buzz Droids when they can just use missiles to blow up a ship. The the buzz droids they could take long enough that you could get them off like Obi Wan did, but if they were missiles they could just blow him up instantly. I didn't really understand the point.

2. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    You can use them to disable a ship's engines, shield generators, weapons, or life-support. That way, you can take a ship carrying valuables intact and not have to vaporize it with turbolasers. As for their deployment in ROTS, the missles may have been "smart", and realized that they couldn't hit the Jedi fighters as easily as an ARC-170, so they went with Plan B - overshoot the target and make it pass through a cloud of small droids which will immobilize it, thus letting Vultures and Trifighters use it for target practice.

3. Darth_Maestro

Darth_Maestro Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2005
    to kill poor R-4!:_| :_|

4. YoungAngus

May 7, 2005
    Thanks for putting me in a sad mood. :_|

RIP R4 @};-

5. prefontaine

prefontaine Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 6, 2005
    "Oh Dear..."

6. JediCouncilMaster

JediCouncilMaster Jedi Youngling star 6

Jun 23, 2005
    To make it look cool. And to show us ,the audience, that the Trade Federation are not a bunch of losers and ninnies that just sit around and play cards. It was used to make them look cool and progressive.

7. YoungAngus

May 7, 2005
    I thought the Seps and TF where treated kinda unfairly, thier droids were used more as comic relif than an actual threat. The Buzz Droids were creative, but kind of useless if the missiles could of slammed into the ship instead of flying past it.

8. prefontaine

prefontaine Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 6, 2005
    Yeah, but the missles didn't slam into any of the Jedi fighters, so some other tactic was needed. That's where said Buzz Droids come in. They were certainly more effective than anything else the Seperatists launched at Anakin and Obi-Wan.

9. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Buzz Droids are good if you wanna capture a pilot and take him or her for questioning .

10. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    As pointed out, normal missiles can be defeated easily as we saw in AOTC. The Buzz Droids were a surprise, which would normally disable the Jedi Interceptor long enough to eventually destroy them. As we saw, they were doing a good job of Obi-wan's ship. They took out R4 quickly and were proceeding to destroy the rest of the fighter. And Anakin couldn't simply blast them off. If not for the fact that Anakin's one hellva starpilot, Obi-wan wouldn't have survived. Fortunately, Artoo was more capable of fighting than his late counterpart.

11. Leias_Lipgloss

Leias_Lipgloss Jedi Master star 1

Jul 25, 2004
    So that R2 could pick on someone close to his own size.

Also to show show interaction between Anakin and Obi, Obi and R4, Ani and R2, and R2 and the buzz droids.

12. SrWilson

SrWilson Jedi Master star 1

Feb 2, 2005
    To Kill R4 and make R2 look great when he duels one of em and owns em with his little shocker thingy lol.
    And to disable the targets ship as said above to make it easier to shoot down.

13. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I think of Buzz Droids as A.I. flak.

14. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    As pointed out, normal missiles can be defeated easily as we saw in AOTC. The Buzz Droids were a surprise, which would normally disable the Jedi Interceptor long enough to eventually destroy them. As we saw, they were doing a good job of Obi-wan's ship. They took out R4 quickly and were proceeding to destroy the rest of the fighter.

Yes, but the thing is, if you can land a buzz droid on a starfighter, you could also land a bomb. A bomb would be much cheaper and quicker. :D

15. Adm_Thrawn

Adm_Thrawn Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 19, 2004
    Instead of wasting time tracking targets and angling against deflector shields, all the Seps had to do was let loose a couple hundred of those things and let them do all the work. Makes perfect sense to me.

16. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004
    They contributed a cool little element to the beginning of ROTS.

17. Kenobi_1349

Kenobi_1349 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 22, 2005
    i think the point of buzz droids was similar to the point of a soldier using a shotgun. the shell fired from a shot gun breaks apart and a bunh of tiny metal pellets flood the area. this increases the chanes of hitting the target. jedi pilots could prolly out maneuver missiles and lasers, so the buzz droids prolly were thought up as an area affect weapon that would increase the chances of hitting a jedi starfighter. also, i read somewhere that the buzz droids had the design plans of the jedi starfighters, so they know where to go to work once they grab hold of a fighter. maybe that indicates that buzz droids were created speciffically to counter jedi starfighters

18. voodoopuuduu

Mar 22, 2004
    The buzz droids had to have been designed for use against larger ships, like the battlecruisers, where they could do some damage over a period of time if undetected. (even more than a bomb) Using them against starfighters must have been an accident.

19. Kenobi_1349

Kenobi_1349 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 22, 2005
    but can they work through the sheilds of larger ships?

20. Adm_Thrawn

Adm_Thrawn Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 19, 2004
    Energy shields protect against energy weapons (turbolasers, starfighter lasers, etc.). Deflector shields protect against things like missiles or...other ships. When a capital ship or starfighter puts up their deflector shields, it doesn't completely envelope the ship. It'll go up on the starboard side, or the port side, or whatever. I'm sure a small little buzz droid could find away to get around giant shields designed to prevent other captial ships from running ramming into you.

21. lorn_zahl

lorn_zahl Jedi Master star 4

Oct 19, 2002
    Exactly, they had to solidify R2's badness by giving him a duel in the movie!

22. TheCRZA

TheCRZA Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2005
    An irratant. Makes perfect sense, really.
    While you are dealing with Buzzdroids,
    you are essentially out of the fight.
    And most likely, someone else will have
    to help you out, removing them from the fight.

Sort of like antipersonnel mines.

My original response was: "to buzz"
    so let us all just be grateful that
    I was inspired at the last second....

23. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    As Obi-wan proved, a missile has limitations. It can be sent at a Vulture Droid Fighter or blasted out of the way. Buzz droids hit the ship and start doing damage. And who says that a missile is cheap? Consider that we never see missiles in the OT.

24. voodoopuuduu

Mar 22, 2004
    voodoopuuduu posted:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    As pointed out, normal missiles can be defeated easily as we saw in AOTC. The Buzz Droids were a surprise, which would normally disable the Jedi Interceptor long enough to eventually destroy them. As we saw, they were doing a good job of Obi-wan's ship. They took out R4 quickly and were proceeding to destroy the rest of the fighter.

Yes, but the thing is, if you can land a buzz droid on a starfighter, you could also land a bomb. A bomb would be much cheaper and quicker.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As Obi-wan proved, a missile has limitations. It can be sent at a Vulture Droid Fighter or blasted out of the way. Buzz droids hit the ship and start doing damage. And who says that a missile is cheap? Consider that we never see missiles in the OT.

No, no, I meant bomb, not a missle. Instead of having motors and gears and cutting instruments etc on the buzz droid, strap a bomb to it instead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.