main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

what was your first reaction when you first saw TPM?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by Heavenly_Angel, Apr 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    My first reaction was that I was completely bewildered how the film had taken such a backlash from everyone.

I still am bewildered.

Its an awesome film, I don't care what anyone says.

2. JediBeowulf

JediBeowulf Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 6, 2001
    "I had GOOD reasons for my disappointment in TPM that had NOTHING to do with any preconcieved ideas on my part...

And I am not the only one."

Yet I wonder how you, and others like you, conveniently forget to apply these same standards to the OT (specifically ANH).

I'm tired of people criticizing the flaws of the PT, when they so blatantly overlook the same flaws that occur in the OT! I call this selective criticism and it reeks of double standards.

But where does this come from, you may ask? I say its people that are holding on to their lost youth and nostalgia. ;)

3. Ree Yees

Ree Yees Jedi Youngling star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    I just sat there, thinking to myself, "And now I've seen it." And I didn't feel anything...while the OT movies kept me excited through years and years for every viewing.

4. senseless_apprentice

senseless_apprentice Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 18, 2002
    I saw TPM at the ripe age of 15. I had watched starwars since I was a little kid but I wasn't a fanatic until that day in 1999. In fact I really didn't know what was going on in the movie, I didn't know Palpatine was the emporer, I couldn't tell who the queen was and I didn't care because the duel of fates got me hooked any way.

When I walked out of that theatre, I felt different....very different. I became the nerd Iam today.

and I was so cool back then...... oh well I'm having more fun now with my online pals.

:)

5. JediBeowulf

JediBeowulf Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 6, 2001
    And how old are you Ree Yees?

I thought so... ;)

My theory has been confirmed.

6. spring_warm

spring_warm Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 12, 2003
    i was all

OH ME GAH!!!!!

7. Lagniappe

Lagniappe Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 19, 1999
    "Yet I wonder how you, and others like you, conveniently forget to apply these same standards to the OT (specifically ANH). "

Excuse me? Others like me? You mean people who found TPM disappointing? Hmmmmmmm. There are a heck of a lot of us. And we encompass a BROAD spectrum....I would suggest you refrain from trying to smash us all into a single cubbyhole in your world of quick and easy generalizations.

...Unless you want me to start talking about "You and people like you...."

I do not "forget" to apply standards to the OT. I will readily admit that the OT has flaws. (Ewoks...shudder....Han's sucky kiss. Giant space worms. Stormtroopers defeated by teddy bears throwing rocks... )

However, it also has a lot of strengths that I felt were lacking in the PT. For one thing, the characters were much more engaging. I CARED about them. GL managed to create characters that were full of life and fire. That interacted with each other and drew me in...

The dialogue seemed more realistic.

There was more of a "real" feel to the backgrounds and sets.

I felt the acting was better...

And overall, they didn't have the intersperced "kiddie" elements that TPM had...(aside from Ewoks...shudder again....)

Yes, it is a matter of opinion - but don't be suggesting that I was disappointed in TPM because I hold the OT sacred in some way. For me, the positive in the OTs outweighted the negatives. In the PT the negatives tend to outweight the positives.

I can still watch the OT and enjoy it far more than the PT...even when I notice the flaws...that says something. (And no, it is not simply the nostalgia factor. If that were the case, I'd still get a thrill from watching Muppet Movies.)

I think the tone of the films changed a great deal between the OT and the PT, and for me, the tone of the first films was far more in tune to what I enjoy in films.

8. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    I remember exactly what I thought, as if it was yesterday.

I came out of the theatre and thought "That was good, but it went by so quickly I have to see it again as soon as possible." I managed to get a ticket for the following day's showing, and that's the one that cemented how much I loved TPM.

It was a packed house again, all the jokes getting laughs, the plot set in my head so I could just enjoy the visuals and action and so on. It was one of those great screenings you get every so often.

I only got to see AOTC at the cinema once due to lack of time :( but I was lucky enough to get one of those great screenings on that single viewing anyway. I think I may also have gotten re-used to Lucas' very quick style of directing after seeing TPM, so I was more ready for the speed of many scenes and how quickly events move.

9. QuiGonHrafn

QuiGonHrafn Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 25, 2002
    I thought it was the greatest SW film and I was certainly going to see this film again and again and again which I did. And I still believe it is the greatest (despite Harrison Ford being my favourite actor).

10. Morcar

Morcar Jedi Youngling

May 8, 2003
    It the first day of release, I had been given teh tickets by my step-mum to take me and Dad out, also had a few of my buddies with me too.

The cinema goes black, the legendary words "A Long time ago, In a Galaxy far, far away..." appear and then...

Burrrrrrrrrrrrr bad-da-burrrrr etc, the hairs on my neck are all standing on ends, I have goose bumps all over!

Thats what it was like all the way through,

I loved this film, Maul and Qui-Gon were excellent, the whole plot was good, the effects were top notch. It was the perfect start to the whole saga.

11. spring_warm

spring_warm Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 12, 2003
    The dialogue seemed more realistic.

I dont know wear you get your delusions, laser brain!

12. Lagniappe

Lagniappe Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 19, 1999
    "The dialogue seemed more realistic.

I dont know wear you get your delusions, laser brain!"

Ha...ha...

Real cute spring warm, but if you wish to be clever (and take pot shots at me) you might at least try using the correct form of "where" as in, "I don't know WHERE you get your delusions..." It would be much more effective. ;)

Okay?

13. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    I do know that I've had the same (pretty stupid) thought running through my head when I watched the opening scroll for both TPM and AOTC...

"I'm here. I'm watching the new Star Wars film." :D

I'll probably get that pop into my head when I see Ep3 as well ;)

whostheBossk likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.