main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Wheel of Time (No AMoL spoilers)

Discussion in 'Community' started by NYCitygurl, Oct 28, 2012.

1. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    That's really cool!

I'm still on The Great Hunt. I've totally mismanaged this reread 8-} Just as well, since I'll probably have to wait a bit for AMOL to get to the library ...

2. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    My dad preordered AMOL for me for Christmas. :D
    Unfortunately, I'm only almost finished with the 6th, and I do want to complete the reread before reading MOL.

Lord of Chaos has a lot in it though. The Asha'man, Rand's love trio learning of each other,
    Egwene being raised and severing being Healed

It's great :D

3. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    Ugh.

I forgot the Asha'man explode the Aes Sedai and Aiel. Quite nauseating thinking of it.

4. SoloKnight

SoloKnight Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2003
    Just finished Crossroads of Twilight. While WH didn't annoy me too much on a re-read, this one was pretty painful. Perrin's chapters could have all been condensed into about 5 pages, ditto Elayne and Rand. Matt could have don with just 1 chapter to show his progression with Tuon, and I'll let Egwene have two chapters since she's the only one who did anything this whole book.

One thing that's bugging me during this re-read is at the beginning of the series, characters says that men and women were equal in the power. Then later, RJ backtracks and says men are better in earth and fire (the strong powers) while women are better at water and air (the weak powers.) Lanfear is originally said to be the second strongest Forsaken after Ishmael, but then in a later book, one of the male Forsaken is thinking about how he's stronger than her. Much is made about how unbelievably strong Nynaeve is but it seems like just about every Ashaman we meet is stronger.

I liked it better when men and women were equal in the one power.

5. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I have AMOL on order at the library. Guess I better move on from The Great Hunt ... :p

I don't like how Jordan protrays the relationships between men and women. Neither gender is really that confusing. Women aren't shrews, and men aren't bumbling idiots. And the Aes Sedai--all women--all seem to be secretive and power-mad.

6. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    I think that the big deal was that she was a wilder who was incredibly strong compared to what the other Aes Sedai were use to. She also had developed such a solid mental block against her own abilities that she baffled many, including herself.

The equality shifts so subtly that I didn't even fully realize it until now.

Jordan exaggerates the way men and women confuse each other to where I become frustrated. It doesn't help that various places expect different things. Like Faile is more jealous the more Perrin pushes Berelain away. It grates on me (especially Berelain's attitude) and fills me with near-rage.

Highly frustrating.

7. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Women are very confusing, actually. Men are straightforward and take things at face value, but women expect men to know what they're thinking all the time. And they expect men to be more complicated than we are, and so they misinterpret men's statements to be something other than what was actually said. But enough about my gender rants. Still excited for AMOL next week!

8. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] Well, neither gender is nearly as confusing as Jordan makes them out to be. I'm with SWpants666 on this that it ceases to be funny and ends up being frustrating.

9. SoloKnight

Feb 13, 2003
    Besides both genders finding the other incomprehensible, Jordan seems to believe all women want to be dominated. This is especially obvious with Faile/Perrin and Saldean culture, but also with Gareth/Siuan, and a little with Lan/Nyneave and any Ash'aman/woman relationship.

Also not sure how I feel about Mat and Tylin. On the one hand, Mat admits at the end that he'll miss her and seems to actually enjoy their relationship, but on the other hand, if you reverse the genders I would be really uncomfortable about the whole thing.

10. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    I never knew how to feel about Mat/Tylin either. It always felt a little awkward, uncomfortable, and unnatural [for Mat] to me.

11. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    I almost felt relieved when the gholam killed Tylin, to be perfectly honest.

NYCitygurl likes this.
  12. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    I had to wiki her for the info I forgot.

Yeah, I'm sure you're not the only one. I can't remember how I initially felt. When I get there I'll probably feel the same as you, tim.

13. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I started reading Jordan as a teenager, so at that age you don't notice how screwed the gender relationships and attitudes in WoT are, jump forward 8 years and it's blindingly obvious so I lost interest. That and it looked like the damn thing was never going to end.

Then Jordan shuffles off this mortal coil, then they get Sanderson to finish it off as a trilogy.

Intrigued I grab Mistborn and have myself quite a time, I'm now fascinated to see what he does with the final WoT books. So WoT's second chance is down to the change of authors.

Oh and my copy of A Memory of Light despatched today for the steal of a price - £10.40! Pretty certain the RRP is now £25! The secret? Amazon pre-order, a long time ago!

BUT this means I'm looking at a probably 12 book, 10,000-page reread, followed by 3 book, 2000-page new read finale! It's going to be ages before I get to it, as it's been at least a decade since I read WoT!

14. SoloKnight

Feb 13, 2003
    After taking a month to finish book 10, I knocked out 11 and 12 in a week. Only one more before I can start AMoL!

KoD feels really good because it comes after 2 books where barely anything happens and then 2 books where absolutely nothing happens, so when stuff finally starts to happen, it's awesome. Plus, Galad's a badass in the first chapter.

TGS might be my favorite book of the series so far. It's definitely in the top 3. Characters don't go around sniffing about men or acting like women are some sort of alien species, the chapters are shorter and the POVs rotate more, ]we get into Gawyn's head regarding his actions during the Tower Split and that makes him much more likeable imo. There's barely any Perrin so I don't have time to be bored by him. Nynaeve finally seems intelligent and someone who would be chosen as Wisdom. And as much as I'm still not enamored by Egwene, I love the whole image of her
    throwing fireballs at the Seanchan when they attack the tower. Any good feelings I'd had towards Tuon were destroyed the minute she ordered that raid.
    And Verin's whole chapter is perfect.

The only one who seems a little off is Mat. He's just slightly jokier than he used to be. And suddenly Talmanes is teasing him? That just didn't feel like the relationship they had in the previous books. Minor quibble though.

15. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    Jedi Ben - I completely understand what you're saying about the gender relationships and how messed up they are...and not realizing it when you first read it. Nynaeve and Elayne especially are grating on me in Crown of Swords.
    Good luck with the reread.

One thing that I hate is I'll be more than halfway finished with one of the books and I'll realize that I have no clue what happened in it. Not that I forget what happened, but WHEN, in which book. Lengthy novels warp my brain.

SoloKnight - *sigh* 4 1/2 books until TGS for me. Congrats on being almost near the end! :D
    Egwene definitely is complete B.A. I don't think she's my favourite, but she's always felt most well-rounded and just very strong.

16. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    ... I'm still 80 pages to the end of THe Great Hunt :p I'm going to have difficulty avoiding spoilers while I force myself to catch up...

The gender relations really are what bother me the most about this series (besides the books where nothing happens :p ). Life would be so much less complicated if people would freaking trust someone of the opposite gender.

17. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    I never had an opportunity to do a re-read this year, so I'll just have to rely on my memory when I dive into AMOL tomorrow.

18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Heh, yeah, my refrain on this area is Jordan must have come across some real battleaxes in his time!

19. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    I spent some time catching back up on the Wheel of Time wiki last night. Can't wait to start the book in a couple hours.

Evil.

20. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Here's what I will post:

The finale is a monster 909-page hardback.

There's only 2 authors I have in my collection that exceed this, one of them is Sanderson with the first Stormlight Archive book, Way of Kings and the other is Peter F Hamilton, who has at least 3 1000+ page hardbacks!

21. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    Oh my goodness.
    *faints*

22. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, it's a doorstop! :)

Very satisfying to look in the dustcover and read RRP £25.00, knowing I got it for £10.40. Paperback RRPs now are £8.99, which is why I try to buy hardbacks online with an obscene preorder discount of 40-50%, but this one is probably nearer 60% off!

23. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    :D You win!!

Hitting the Tylin parts now. It makes me like Mat even more, especially when he mentally reiterates the fact he never went after a girl who told him she wasn't interested.
    People like Tylin fill me with rage

24. SoloKnight

Feb 13, 2003
    909 pages is quite the brick, but Towers of Midnight is over 850 so it's actually not that much longer. It still won't be the longest book I own as I have Les Miserables sitting on my shelf and that clocks in at around 1,500.

25. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I managed to finish ... The Great Hunt :p