main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Which one should I get PS2 or Gamecube?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Obi_Wan_01, Feb 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arabiansanchez

arabiansanchez Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2001
    The balding one doth return as prohesised!

Bringing with him sarcasm galore! :D [face_plain] :mad:

You are a cheeky one... but I like you anyway! 8-}

So let me get this straight... Nintendo share prices fell what?... 9.1%? in 2 days. Just as well they rose by 9% when squaresoft came onboard!

One more big drop and I'll give you some credit for that one.

In spite of this, however, they announced record profits (of £1/2 billion or over $900000000 in you American's language) for the 2nd consecutive year?

I'd say things are still looking pretty rosey on the Nintendo front. :D

Good find, though. I wasn't aware of the 2nd fall.

Just when I thought the arguments were beginning to dry up!

I love you R_B_E! [face_love]

Don't worry, as soon as Mario and they other "kiddie" titles start surfacing in Q3 the Japs will lap it up. Mark my words.

European GC Pre-orders are also looking very promising (50000 it was a week ago, for UK and Germany with more modest but similar figures throughout Europe. N.B- Do the Maths- 100's of 000's of GC's sold on day 1 in Europe, 5000 xboxes sold in a fortnight in Japan. Which figure do you think looks better?) and with GC's release, GBA sales rises are inevitable! (when the link becomes readily available that is, which I don't think is that far off), although they're not exactly doing badly at present.

A pretty weak argument I'm afraid (no doubt there's more to come though :( )

Here's my console shares forecast (sanchez is not a market analyst, terms and conditions apply, sanchez will accept no responsibility for your purchasing decisions :) ) :

GCN: <shares + strong euro launch + imminent improving Jap sales+ fan boys = >shares= :D

XB: Modest to adequate Euro sales + dreadful Jap sales= <shares = :_|

PS2: Unbelievable (and unjustified) sales + fanboys= [face_laugh]

I just don't think M$ will ever have anywhere near the right image for the hame console market. [face_plain]

2. Lucas_Skywalker

Lucas_Skywalker Jedi Youngling

Apr 16, 2002
    PS2 Rules!!! :)

3. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    >>>In spite of this, however, they announced record profits (of £1/2 billion or over $900000000 in you American's language) for the 2nd consecutive year?<<<

They took the hit on the Gamecube. Nintendo is dwarfed by M$. Nintendo worth = 12 billion, M$ worth = 350 billion. M$ is not going anywhere. With all the games their snatching up it's absurd to think otherwise.

>>>Don't worry, as soon as Mario and they other "kiddie" titles start surfacing in Q3 the Japs will lap it up. Mark my words.<<<

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] And thats supposed to be a good thing? I'm so envious. As of now there are only three big players not on board, Nintendo (obviously), Enix and Square. Thats just for console developers then you have all those PC developers jumping on board making new console games aswell. That means that when you add up the 1st, 2nd and 3rd party developers all up M$ has the most amount of developers. More games means more options. Whereas a certain other company who shall remain nameless has the smallest amount of developers and the smallest amount of games being made which means a smaller amount of options. ;)

Like it or not M$ is here to stay. With profits shrinking on the PC market they are moving into the living room. All three consoles will exist in the same market. Thats a fact. Two years from now you will see.

-----signature-----
    "Rabid Balding Ewok, you make me sick.
    If there was an enemies list, you'd be on mine."
    [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

:::*::(^^) :(^^) :::::::
    ::::::/::::^^:::::\ ::*::
    :::::/###-^^-##I :::::
    : *:.l##/(*)# (*)\\:::::
    :::/##(###.00#)#I ::::
    ::(___/#*#(XXX)/__) ::
    ::/000{{{{www}}}}\:: Ewoks Will Eat You!

4. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    Xbox To Match Gamecubes Price In Europe

arabiansanchez you might get a kick out of that. And they are dropping the price before Gamecubes launch in Europe. So now europeans will be getting better hardware and more game options IMO better games all for the same price as the Cube. And if memory serves me correctly Nintendo was never all that big in europe. [face_devil] Although this is what they should have done in the first place. I had a feeling M$ would have a surprise for nintendos launch and the PS2's price drop. And for those in Europe who already purchased a box they will be getting two games and an extra controller for their trouble. :D

-----signature-----
    "Rabid Balding Ewok, you make me sick.
    If there was an enemies list, you'd be on mine."
    [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

:::*::(^^) :(^^) :::::::
    ::::::/::::^^:::::\ ::*::
    :::::/###-^^-##I :::::
    : *:.l##/(*)# (*)\\:::::
    :::/##(###.00#)#I ::::
    ::(___/#*#(XXX)/__) ::
    ::/000{{{{www}}}}\:: Ewoks Will Eat You!

5. arabiansanchez

Nov 17, 2001
    Well done to M$. Now gamers are actually paying a fair price. This should make it a little more interesting, though I don't see that big a change happening. Rule #1- Bad start usually means bad life (DC, Saturn, N64 (kind of),others though my mind has gone blank 8-} ) but M$ do admittedly have the financial muscle to change that. I think MS will now definetely get their "foot in the door" so to speak but I think their next console will be a far more appealing prospect to your average Joe.

R_B_E the xbox isn't quite on par with GCN (£30 to £50 depending where you shop. that's a game of a difference.)but is with PS2.

A really amusing thing happened earlier. My friend who said from the beginning that XB would be the greatest thing ever has changed his mind suddenly and decided to go with GCN based on its amazing lineup [face_laugh] . I just thought that was noteworthy considering he's Bill Gates #1 fan, though it's obviously not a real point of argument. And yes he is aware of the price drop.

M$=$350bn Nintendo=$12bn. Your point being?

">>>Don't worry, as soon as Mario and they other "kiddie" titles start surfacing in Q3 the Japs will lap it up. Mark my words.<<<

And thats supposed to be a good thing?"

Actually if you'd stop being so narrow minded you'd have known immediatley that it is a good thing. So what if you big grown up people wouldn't be seen dead near a mario game. Fact is the Jap's love it.

"And if memory serves me correctly Nintendo was never all that big in europe."

If my memory serves they were huge and only the N64 has been a let down sales wise. Pre-orders already indicate a healthier shelf life for GCN than N64.

You also forget Nintendo are barely in the red on selling their hardware (if at all) at present so if push comes to shove they can still drop the price of the cube significantly. Though not right away because stores are already complaining at the price being too low for a new console but I'd say in light of XB announcement... 3 to 4 months tops.

In 2 years we'll see. 8-}

"smaller amount of options"??

Perhaps but IMO better options. Those Rare buy out rumours seem to be pretty much over with!

Nintendo also have a few new pet projects... I mear, er, 2nd parties... who they'll be grooming to Rare standards.

A very good comeback R_B_E I'm impressed. [face_shocked] It'll take a little more than that to phase me, though. :D

P.S- Thank You for your invaluable contribution to this debate Lucas Skywalker.

6. arabiansanchez

Nov 17, 2001
    Didn't think I'd ever do this but... UP!

7. Obi_Wan_01

Obi_Wan_01 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2001
    I think we should let this sink now, I think thats enough arguments and opinions, don't you think. ;)

But if you want to go on, be my guest..../

8. arabiansanchez

Nov 17, 2001
    I agree. We're kinda clutching at straws now. Feel free to have it locked or whatever.

But first the moment of truth. Which consoles are you getting and in which order.

I think I can safely say PS2 first but then what?

9. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    Get the Xbox. Knights of the Old Republic is gonna rock!!!!!

10. arabiansanchez

Nov 17, 2001
    GAMECUBE now only £129 from May 3 UK (European) launch. :D

I knew Nintendo would react accordingly to the xbox price slash.

Now I can get one on launch day!

I'm so happy I think I'm going to... :_|

11. arabiansanchez

Nov 17, 2001
    I declare this thread DEAD

I'm so gonna get banned for this one. :(

Oh well [face_laugh]

12. NGCRULER

NGCRULER Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 27, 2002
    I know this probally has been said but...

About the list of games on the systems on the first page..

PS2 Games

Grand Theft Auto III
    Final Fantasy X
    Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
    Final Fantasy XI
    Star Wars Racer Revenge
    Black and White (On PC)
    Dead or Alive 2 Hardcore
    Half Life (on pc)
    Max Payne (on pc)
    NHL 2002 (on pc)
    SSX Tricky (GCN also)
    Star Wars Jedi Starfighter

Gameucbe Games

Resident Evil
    Star Wars Rogue Leader: Rogue Squadron II
    Star Fox Adventures
    Mario Kart
    NHL 2K3
    Soul Calibur
    SSX Tricky
    Super Smash Bro.
    Wrestlemania X8

***Also***

Eternal darkness
    Perfect Dark O
    Zelda
    Metroid
    Plus some i can't think of at the moment

BTW. I added the things in ( )'s

13. tenorjedi

tenorjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 17, 2000
    Wait, lemme tally up the votes

okay..... so all the PS2 fans are sticking with the PS2......hmmm the gamecube fans are sticking with the cube.......and a shocker all of the Xbox fans are still happily gaming away on their Xbox.

I love internet debates ;)

(never mind those ballots hidden over there)

14. TheWampas1138

TheWampas1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    It's always a problem debating with people that live within binary confines of "It's my favorite" or "It sucks." People don't seem to understand that something can not be their absolute favorite, and still be good. I love my PS2, and other than Morrowind, the PS2 dominates my console time. But, I love the other systems as well.
    People want to see X-box fail because they hate Microsoft, which is something I don't understand. Yes, Bill Gates is richer than I will ever be. Heck, he could actually pay a baseball player to mow his lawn. Now, why this makes people angry, I don't know. His company made it possible for computers to communicate, and for me to play Neverwinter Nights while talking to a friend in AIM. Yeah, he's evil alright.
    People want to see Playstation fail because it doesn't have Mario on it, or for whatever reason.
    And people want to see Gamecube fail because "it's for kids." Well, I'm 29 and I love Metroid, Starfox and yes, I'll probably love Zelda though I object to the animation. I don't always need to be blowing something's guts out its back to enjoy the game.
    Enjoy whatever console you have, but don't think because you have it and don't have some other console, that the other consoles suck. That's not very bright, and you're shutting yourself off from some great games out there.

15. darth_melvin

darth_melvin Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 18, 2002
    Well, the main games I play are Star Wars (I've had to economize the game playing time a bit what with other things in life and such) and I'm about ready to replace my N64 console with a new one (I also have a PC). Which one do I get? From a Star Wars POV (and this is a Star Wars board) I think I'm about to settle on... Gamecube.

Consider...
    Gamecube has:
    Bounty Hunter
    Clone Wars
    Rogue Leader (so far, exclusively)

That means, the only games of note that I can't get on the PC are:
    Jedi Starfighter (PS2, Xbox)
    Obi-Wan (XBox)
    Knights of the Old Republic (Xbox initially)

Now KOTOR will be ported next spring to PC, and Jedi Starfighter will probably also go across to PC like it's predecessor Starfighter did. So that means the only "loss" is Obi-Wan on Xbox (which might make it over to PC, who knows) - a loss that might be balanced out by the "evil Bill Gates" factor."

(Plus, IMO the only console games worth playing that aren't available on PC (RTS, shooters, etc.) are exclusive to Nintendo: Metroid,Zelda and Mario.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.