main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[Whine] The search function

Discussion in 'Communications' started by FlareStorm, Nov 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    You can enter it again at the search page, but then it just times out. [face_tired]

2. lorn_zahl

lorn_zahl Jedi Master star 4

Oct 19, 2002
    Yes for some time now. Perhaps isn't the best time to bring it up but perhaps someone would explain to IGN that a forum should have a working search feature, if not one that actually gives accurate results.

It's absolutely pathetic and it's never, ever worked with my firefox browser.

3. JediMaster22

JediMaster22 Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 15, 1999
    The search function is ridiculous!

I am just Appalled people act like it's fine to live with, and NOT do something about it!

I hate to create a redundant thread, and then have it locked PLEASE find a way to fix this search function, I implore you!!!

4. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002

I am just Appalled people act like it's fine to live with, and NOT do something about it!

Yeah, but you're alive... and still posting here.... so it's probably something you too can live with :p

5. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    True, it doesn't work a lot of times, but most times you can go back and try again, and it will give the fields to fill in. I used it yesterday and it worked. It doesn't directly search from the pages anymore, you have to fill in the fields. :)

6. Andalite-Bandit

Andalite-Bandit Jedi Padawan star 6

Apr 25, 2005
    JediMaster22 is right!!!!

This is a grave issue, it is the important cause to fight for!! You mods go about your day posting on the JC and eating food and going to school or work, while the masses of the JC suffer with a broken search engine. What kind of people are you? How do you expect us to live like this?

I warn you moderators of the JC to look to history, for there you will see that when people of the past have faced situations such as this, they rebelled against bourgeoisie elite and overthrew them, for they realized the horrid injustices they were facing and they knew that some causes were worth dying for.

For too long has JediMaster22 fought alone, for too long has this unjustice gone unnoticed. JediMaster22, I am with you for this fight! Who else? Who else will join the side of justice?

We demand a fully operational search function!

7. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    No humor in Comms plz

8. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    I agree with JediMaster22 and Andalite-Bandit!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is entirely ridiculous! I grow weary of clicking on the search engine, just waiting and hoping that for once, just once in my short board lifetime, that maybe, just perhaps, just once in the speck of time, it could possibly take me to the search page, but alas! no! It has timed out... every... single time!

I propose that we petition the removal of the search function until it actually works! You moderators have your own special little tools while all us little users sit in the darkness... bah! HUMBUG!

I have a dream, Jedi Council Forums! I have a damn dream! One day... ONE day, we will have a working search function! But will it be with the help of the administration or not? I have a dream that we will all search without hesitation, gloriously gazing upon the pages of the search function, finding all threads of value with ease. I have a dream that down in the Community Boards, users will be able to use the precious search function to find ancient threads... threads of glory... threads of magnitude... threads lost in the sea known as the YJCC.

JediMaster22 and Andalite-Bandit are not alone! I stand by their side! Give me a properly working search function button or give me bamnation! For we are fighting for something worthwhile! We are fighting for something that will mean something in five years!

For the search function and for the Jedi Council Forums!

9. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    Bamnation we can do - but since the search function is still out of our hands at this point you might try something similar to this Google search. ;)

10. The Bigger Fish

The Bigger Fish Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    I've made a habit of remembering every thread I see, and it's location, so I don't need to use the search function.

11. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    Google works, but not for specific searches. Say I wanna find all threads started by The_Bigger_Fish (which is often), it would be nice to be able to search by criteria.

12. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    I've been able to search quite well in ROTS using Googles advanced search feature and putting "boards.theforce.net" as the site in the domain name field. You can even go further and the forum name like, "boards.theforce.net/revenge_or_the_sith/" under the domain name.

13. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Wonderful. Everybody, just PM The Bigger Fish if you want to search for something. :D

14. -RebelScum-

-RebelScum- Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 21, 2004
    I will second others sentiments that I just use google.

-The Scummy-

15. lorn_zahl

Oct 19, 2002
    I just wonder what IGN has had to say. I mean how do they explain it? Ya know... do they act surprised or what?

I wanna see what they've said.

16. Andalite-Bandit

Andalite-Bandit Jedi Padawan star 6

Apr 25, 2005
    I think they would be incredulous and think it is all a hoax.

17. lorn_zahl

Oct 19, 2002

I still need to know people, I'd find it quite interesting!

18. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Getting a working search function on any large messageboard is a headache and a half at the best of time. The amount of database resources that can get sucked up in single searches, along with the size of the table(s) required for the various cross-referencing mean that quite often there is never any more than a week or so of data to be searched, and that can still cause problems.

IGN have always known about the various 'issues' that surround the search function since, surprise surprise, it's exactly the same on their version of IGNBoards. zerosleep has tried quite a few times to improve it and get it in some kind of working condition, but it has a habit of being made unstable by other changes in the board code that don't logically cause it to become unstable.

19. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Google is still the best way to go, and works quite well.

20. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    Just letting you know that I just tried to use the Search function and it didn't even try to look. I think the button is broken, Sir.

21. GIMER

GIMER Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 15, 2000
    Seems to work fine for me.
    You mean the Search thing above us between "Private Messages|" and "|Options" right?

22. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    Yes, that one. I tried it and it didn't work. Now it is working. Must have been a fluke.

23. GIMER

GIMER Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 15, 2000
    Maybe you forgot to take your medication this morning, and it actually DID work, but you can't remember.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.