main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Who exactly knew Padme was pregnant?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Allana_Rey, Sep 16, 2012.

1. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    The only thing we can say is she hide it from Anakin. Maybe she thought it would worry him. Maybe it's riskier to have twins or maybe she wanted it to be a suprise or maybe Anakin told her to not tell him anything so the Jedi wouldn't sense it from him

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    OK, what? She didn't hide the pregnancy from Anakin, not while he was home. And I'm pretty sure she didn't know she was having twins.

3. Jeanine Berry

Jeanine Berry Jedi Youngling

Sep 6, 2012
    Indeed! However, even I must admit that he was an utter creep for using that to his advantage when "conning" Anakin over to the Dark Side.

Paparazzo likes this.
  4. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    If Padme did know she was having twins she would have probably told Anakin.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  5. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    I think it was common knowledge that Padme was pregnant, however I think however the identity of the Father kept secret. I suspect the Jedi knew that it was Anakin's. While it was a forbidden practice, many Jedi have been in similar relationships that Anakin found himself in. It was just never spoken of around the temple. One of those unwritten rules kind of things.

ILNP likes this.
  6. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I've wondered if Yoda knew that Anakin was the father. If he did not know before Mustafar, Obi-Wan would have had to tell him on the way to Polis Massa as he obviously knew there. And if the EU is to be believed, Yoda knew of Anakin's feelings towards Padme.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  7. P.Sam

P.Sam Jedi Padawan star 1

May 31, 2011
    My impression is that probably lots of people knew she was pregnant, I mean that's a very difficult thing to hide. She didn't discuss it and kept her private life secret and confidential which I think is not uncommon for a public figure like a Senator. But that Anakin Skywalker was the father my guess is that no one knew except Obi-Wan. Maybe Yoda suspected something... who knows? As powerful Jedi Master perhaps he read through Anakin's mind and feelings.

8. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    Obi wan knew about it, in attack of the clones it was heavily suggested and implied that he knew. I think yoda suspected, at least, something. Also, anakin did not know that padme was carrying twins until the end of episode 6, when he found out he had a daughter. He found out for the first time. It makes sense for anakin not to know of the 2 children, only of one of them.

Palpatine was told by captain typho, not the naboo clergy. How and why did they tell him? Padme and anakin had a secret ceremony, and i think the guy at the end was typho, or a naboo priest or something. Only one person on Naboo knew about their marriage.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  9. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The guy marrying them is a Naboo priest, not Typho.

Palpatine's words in the RotS novel:
    "Anakin, Padme was my Queen; I was her ambassador to the Senate. Naboo is my home. You of all people know how I value loyalty and friendship; do you think I have no friends among the civil clergy in Theed? Your secret ceremony has never been secret. Not from me, at any rate. I have always been very happy for you both."

There's nothing to hint at Typho knowing in the movies- and in the books while he knows Padme's pregnant, he doesn't know about the marriage.

10. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Anakin should have killed the priest. Not nearly ruthless enough. Fail.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  11. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    In AoTC Obi-Wan could not have known about "Padme being pregnant" as she wasn't even married. He did know of Anakin's "affection" for her; the extent of his knowledge is not explicitly made clear. By ROTS it appears he is aware the "affection" was mutual; no evidence of how much he knew other than that.

I don't think he suspected marriage (maybe - maybe an "affair") and I don't think he knew of the pregnancy until "Anakin is the father, isn't he?" It sort of became clear when Padme protectively cradled her belly as she sat and Obi-Wan suddenly put two and two together.

Whether anyone suspected Padme was pregnant, I don't know, but I think only Anakin knew for sure, and maybe her handmaidens and maybe the droids.

The clothes she wore were pretty concealing and if one didn't suspect pregnancy, I don't think anyone would have known FOR SURE by looking at her.

12. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    I always figured that Obi Wan knew from the beginning that Anakin was the dad, but he kept it to himself because he wanted to protect their friendship. He knew that Padme was holding out on him, so he told her that he knew, to level the playing field. No secrets from him anymore.

13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    This is what I think as well, especially given that at the beginning of the ROTS novelization, when they are being transported from their "happy landing" to the Senate building via speeder, Obi-Wan sees Anakin gazing out the window, obviously looking for Padme.

ILNP likes this.
  14. Catsmeow

Catsmeow Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 8, 2012
    I've been asking this question since I was nine. I am positive her hand maidens knew, and of course C-3PO knew. They all had to know, Typho would have known about the pregnancy I have strong doubts that he would have known about her being married.
    I'll be honest and say that when a woman wears loose clothing like Padmé wore in Revenge of the Sith, she is either gaining weight or she is pregnant.

15. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005

In RL, sure. I don't *think* this is the intent in the movie, though.​

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Hello from a fellow North Carolinian. :)

The novelization indicates that both Typho and Padme's handmaidens knew about the pregnancy, and based on EU sources, Typho knew she was married.

As far as the loose clothing, I don't know that that's a general rule but in Padme's case, her clothing style changed (for a woman who prefers looser clothing in general, this statement wouldn't necessarily be true). As a PP said, I don't think anyone could have stated positively that she was pregnant just based on appearance but I'd be surprised if a few of her Senate colleagues didn't suspect.

17. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Which sources? I couldn't find any reference in Coruscant Nights II: Street of Shadows (the one where Typho goes looking for her killer) to suggest he knew that Anakin Skywalker was her husband.[/quote]

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    OK, I was under the impression that he did know; maybe he just knew that they were together.

19. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Wookiepedia mentioned that Panaka, not Typho or the Naboo clergy, knowing and telling Palpatine. It's on the Palpatine article.

20. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Yup. Still, Palpatine may have been glossing things over to conceal his source.

"Do you think I have no friends in the Naboo clergy"- a question, rather than a claim, designed to imply that it was a Naboo clergyman that told him, without actually saying so outright.

Alternatively you could take the view that the book scenes never happened, not even "offscreen".

21. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
  22. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Obi-Wan must have suspected an affair (but not marriage). I don't think he knew about the pregnancy before their conversation (or he'd have confronted Anakin earlier).

23. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    If one goes by EU (Wild Space), Obi-Wan has reason to believe Padme "broke it off" although LOE would indicate he knows Anakin still pines for Padme (not a direct contradiction of Wild Space).

Movies alone: I think the pieces only came together for Obi-Wan when he went to Padme about Anakin. He recognized her pregnancy, her hesitation to share information on Anakin, her emotional distress - and knowing how both of them felt about the other...realization. His "Anakin is the father, isn't he? I'm so sorry," is his vocalization of this new knowledge and the expressed sorrow is complex. As I put in a fanfic:

anakinfansince1983 and ILNP like this.
  24. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    I think it should have been obvious who the father is :D

25. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Probably obvious to the Jedi, once her pregnancy was known. I am fairly confident in-universe supposedly no one (other than handmaidens, etc.) knew, although there's no hard evidence either way. I mean, if Anakin didn't know, why would Yoda, or Mace, or Obi-Wan? If one goes by the official timeline, the entirely of ROTS happened in just a few days.