main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Knox, TN Who wants a FanForce chapter in Knoxville?

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by K9-Rod, May 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K9-Rod

K9-Rod Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 26, 2002
    Ok, I have given this some thought and have decided to act....

In the last few months things have been in motion in Knoxville in regards to Star Wars, like everywhere else. One of the points here is the fans.

As of right now there is no official FanForce chapter in Knoxville, just the TSWCG. Of which I am a member but DO NOT REPRESENT! I repeat, I am amember but do not represent the group. I am just one member.....(was that clear enough?)

Ok, I am starting this thread so we can discuss and see how many people are interested in starting a FanForce chapter here in Knoxville.

So let's start discussing.......

2. Minacia_Brightstar

Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling star 5

May 23, 2001
    Hey Rod! As the South Regional Support Admin, I'm here to help you out in any way possible.

If anyone has any questions, please let me know. :)

3. Jar Jar

Jar Jar Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 13, 1998
    Ok well, that was my thought too, but it's a hard thing to do. You have to organize a space to meet in, times to meet, and I feel deeply that something else has to be there besides purely Star Wars alone.

That's where I come in.

I already have a group that meets and watches anime twice a month called Otaku South. We meet at the Candy Factory and discuss and watch shows. Our attendance has been shall we say, in a freefall since December of last year and we need something new to do or we will probably close up shop soon. My suggestion, combine the groups and give us both something to do together!

I am a rabid Star Wars fan, have been since I was very young, I want there to be something here for fans of the force. I also though realize that Star Wars alone will not make our group last as long as it could (just as I am seeing that anime also won't accomplish this goal).

Our group has had many Star Wars fans darken it's doors so I think it;s a good fit. I think putting these two together would be an excellent idea!

What are your thoughts on this?.. Anyone?

p.s.> We watched the Holiday Special last December.. You think this might have impacted our numbers? :D

4. Minacia_Brightstar

May 23, 2001
    It's not a bad idea to combine groups, if folks wish it, but a Star Wars group alone can make it. My FanForce group (Atlanta) is celebrating our one year anniversery this weekend and our membership just keeps growing.

Another point: a FanForce group does more than just discuss Star Wars. FanForce is just a way for like-minded folks to get together. We have fans of comics, anime, and all sorts of sci-fi and fantasy in our group, but it is Star Wars that brought us together in the first place.

We in Atlanta also do things that aren't related to Star Wars. We go bowling, hold BBQs and pool parties, and we held a Halloween party this past October. We meet once every month, and while Star Wars is a big topic of conversation, we also spend alot of time just talking about life in general.

What am I trying to say? I'm not sure, I lost my train of thought while writing this long post. :p

Okay, here's why I'm saying: Whether or not to combine the two groups is up to the folks in Knoxville. FanForce chapters are, first and foremost, Star Wars clubs, but Star Wars isn't the only thing they discuss. Those who love Star Wars typically have other things in common, as well.

So, do what's best for y'all and remember to have fun! :)

EDIT: It really isn't that difficult to find places to meet, especially when the group is still small. If y'all need any suggestions for meeting places, let me know. I'm sure you have many of the same types of possible meeting places in Knoxville as we have in Atlanta.

5. Jar Jar

Jul 13, 1998
    I wish that were true but in Knoxville you have many issues to deal with and a significantly smaller population than Atlanta is part of it. Doing a club virtually requires a colaberation of geeky interests to come together in order to stand out enough to keep folks coming. I think combining groups would make it a little more viable but I could be easily wrong.

Plus to be honest while bowling and BBQ's are great and all they are also expensive and a hassle to plan. Just doing the anime club and trying to sell soft drinks to raise club revenue I watched as members complained about drinks costing 50 cents a can and bringing in their own every meet. Knoxvillians are cheapskates! I realized then that charging dues would cost us all our members so I gave that up too.

Oh well, that's just my 2 cents after inflation.

6. Jedi_Tin-Buk_Tu

Jedi_Tin-Buk_Tu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    Like I've said before, I'm for it but there is a lot of effort involved.

7. Padawan519

Padawan519 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 15, 2002
    I'm for it. After being out-of-state in college for the past four years, I've lost touch with a lot of friends here (which sucks-I've lived here my whole life and I don't know anyone anymore!), and I'd love to meet some like-minded people. Especially those interested in costuming. I'd be willing to help.

8. K9-Rod

Feb 26, 2002
    Jar Jar, that is a good point you make. I think Star Wars might be enough to make a group go on month to month but after the Episode 2 fevedr dies down I admit it might become harder....But if it brings more people it might be possible to make the chapter be mainly Star Wars but also do some Anime....I happen to like Evangelion, Gundam and Excaflowne among some....

Would you be willing to come and bring your friends to a meeting and we can all talk about it?

9. K9-Rod

Feb 26, 2002
    I have an idea.......let me know what you all think by posting here....

I spoke to Marcus, who is organizing Adventure Con* on June 1st and 2nd....he told me we could have a table to set up for a Knoxville Fan Group. I suggest we meet on Saturday at Adventure Con and talk about it.

For it to be a FanForce chapter they want you to have 3 meetings were more than 3 people show up. Thay allow you to announce these meetings at the FanForce website.

We can meet at Adventure Con and talk abou this....if we decide to try to make a local FanForce chapter, that meeting can count as our first. If we decide not to, then it will die down and we don't worry about a FanForce chapter...

What do you all think?

*for those that don't know Adventure Con will be a SciFi convention held in Knoxville and among the guest will be Chewbacca himself, Peter Mayhew

10. Padawan519

May 15, 2002
    Adventure Con, June 1-2?!?! I'm gonna miss it!! CRAP!!!!! Let me know if I can help in any other way in getting a group up and started.

11. Jar Jar

Jul 13, 1998
    Well, as I said we already do meet at the Candy Factory. We meet the first and third Saturdays of each month on the 7th floor. We have reservations for Studio 2 from now to August. After that, UT football dictates we change days to Saturdays or face heavy traffic and crowds.

It doesn't matter to me how we handle the meets but I can tell you that the folks that do meet there regularly are into anime mainly. As I said (sorta') many of the Star Wars fans come and go and show up irregularly but they do come. I'm simply making a suggestion to make a mix of it and to take advantage of our existing group's membership and structure to help start things off.

If the Fanforce group takes off from there, fantastic but this would make a good launching board!

12. Jar Jar

Jul 13, 1998
    An idea I had just now is that maybe we could split the times. First Saturday: Star Wars, Third Saturday: Anime or vice-versa. Might be a possibility! Any thoughts?

13. vongbait

vongbait Jedi Youngling

Mar 4, 2002
    K9 Rod

It seems to me that you found a group willing to merge with the FF. Now if you do this I might show up for the SW meetings. Sorry I don't do cartoons no matter what you call them.

14. tionnesharp

tionnesharp Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 25, 2002
    Well, I do. For one. And what's all the planning thing!? Just let's meet and MEET one another. I'm betting we find common interests enough to get together on a monthly or bi-monthly basis. After all, we DO have a common interest. And our differences will only make the meetings more interesting. I, for one, am not into collecting. Maybe if you broadened your call for members, you'd get more of them. I joined with the Chicago and Nashville Force but, you know, they're not geared to our region. They're GREAT groups, but Knoxville is also a fabulous city. And it certainly could use some community work, like other SW fan clubs participate in. So hey. I'm in. Let's at least make an effort to get others in the area. I KNOW there's lots!!

15. vongbait

vongbait Jedi Youngling

Mar 4, 2002
    Well I don't start groups, I join them. Also I am not even a moderate collector. You don't have to collect for TSWCG. I am a reader. Some would say I collect the books. I would say to the detriment of my checkbook some months. I love to talk, think, and read SW. Other than my daughter and a few other thing I'm pretty single minded. If this group is started I will try to attend the SW meetings.

16. Jar Jar

Jul 13, 1998
    You don't watch cartoons but you watch LFL films? They may call it "CGI" but it's still animation! Besides, most of GL's story myths are eastern based (I mean, the Jedi might as well be Taoists). If anything, watching anime has helped me identify more with his saga, but that's a different matter.

If you guys want to meet I will be at the Candy Factory this NEXT SATURDAY, June 1st at 6p.m. That is our next scheduled meet but was cancelled as our co-founder (who has our TV) is in China. We still have the space reserved so it's no big deal to meet. We can talk about the details and set up from there.

Sound good?

17. space_trooper

space_trooper Jedi Youngling

May 24, 2002
    Hey everybody. I am glad to hear that at least some ideas for a star wars club here in knoxville are being made. I have been waiting for something like it for a long time and I wanted to say that if one is formed, I will be there to show support. As far as combining with another club, thats fine with me. Personally, I enjoy anime along with Star Wars and other Sci-Fi material. I also known that many of my friends would also be interested in joining a club if it develops. I might check out that booth at the Adventure Con when I'm there to see whats going on.

18. K9-Rod

Feb 26, 2002
    Jar Jar,

I am not opposed to joining the groups...we can try it and see how it works....one problem that already comes up is that with Peter Mayhew being at Adventure Con, I think it would help to have our first "meeting" at Adventure Con. You think you might be able to come?

I would love for as many people as possible to show up so we can discuss future meeting days and times and what each person would like out of this club. That way we can improve and keep people coming back and growing our numbers.

I am all for it but the TSWCG/Knoxville (Tennessee Star Wars Collectors Group)has been meeting for a few months now so I do think there is enough interest right now to maintain a group going. So I am not sure how an attempt to merge an anime with a SW group will work but we can try it. try to come to Adventure Con, we can discuss it then.

19. Jar Jar

Jul 13, 1998
    Where is adventure con and how much will it cost? I can't guarantee I can go seeing as I didn't even know about it but we'll see. Let me know on that and I'll get back to you.

20. K9-Rod

Feb 26, 2002
    Jar Jar and all others interested,

Adventure Con will be held June 1st and June 2nd at the Knoxvill eExpo Center.

It is the biggest SciFi convention I have heard of in Knoxville in who knows how long....

They will have several celebrities on hand. Among the most important, Peter Mayhew, Chewbacca himself will be in Knoxville.

Here is the site for the show.

http://toyshow.org/

Also check your local papers, TV stations and local radio stations around those days cause some will be interviewing Peter Mayhew .

Also there will be other guests and comic book artist.

Also we will haveb our first Knoxville FAN FORCE meeting

Rod

21. Jar Jar

Jul 13, 1998
    I gotta work that day until 3 I think. I couldn't be there too long but I'll try to get there as soon as I can.

22. Kador

Kador Jedi Youngling

Sep 30, 2001
    AdventureCon is at the I-75 Merchants Expo Center on the corner of Merchants and Clinton Hwy, I've arranged to get that Saturday off hopefully, and its like open from 9am - 5:30pm, so could prob meet there and then head down to Candy Factory for that anime thing :)

The entry fee is $5 for the day

23. Padawan519

May 15, 2002
    God, I wish I could be there. I'm still very interested in the group.

24. tionnesharp

tionnesharp Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 25, 2002
    Well, I'm checking out the Adventure Con for a Knoxville Force table. I hope there's info on a "new" one in Knoxville. We need one. You guys and gals broaden the scope beyond anime (I don't even know what that is!) I'll be there every week.

25. Minacia_Brightstar

May 23, 2001
    Hey everyone! :)

I'm condensing this post to cover several concerns that have come up in this thread.

Jar Jar mentioned the sale of soft drinks for his anine club to raise revenue for events. You do not have to do this. Make events "pay your own way" affairs. While my group does have optional dues, most of our events are set up to be "pay your own way."

Events do not have to be expensive or a hassle to plan. Most of our meetings take place at a local restaurant. As the third Saturday of every month approaches, we decide on a restaurant at which to meet. We all meet up at the restaurant, hold our meeting, and then order our food. Again, members who attend can pay as little or as much as they like for food and drinks.

What I'm trying to say, in my usual long-winded way, is that this doesn't have to be complicated. Some FanForce groups are very organized, while other have little organization. Some clubs collect dues, while others do not. Some hold elaborate events, while others just meet at someone's house to watch their fave sci-fi/fantasy movies and eat pizza. Your group can have a little or as much organization as you choose.

Oh, and just because it's a Star Wars club does not mean you cannot have meetings where you discuss other things. With all the great sci-fi/fantasy flicks our there now (Star Wars, Spider-Man, Lord of the Rings, etc.), there is plenty to talk about. :)

So, why don't those of you who can meet up with Rod at AdventureCon and discuss your ideas? It can't hurt, and you might just have the beginnings of a great group. :)

Again, how you put this group together is up to you. I've been involved in FanForce for a year now, so I've seen how many groups work. I'm here to make suggestions and to help out in any way I can. :)

As always, if anyone has any questions, please let me know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.