main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Victoria. BC Who's your favourite AOTC character?

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by CarbonatedGoat, May 20, 2002.

?

Who's your favourite AOTC character?

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
  1. Anakin Skywalker

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Padme Amidala

7.7%
  3. Mace Windu

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Yoda

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Palpatine/Sideous

15.4%
  6. Dooku/Darth Tyranus

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Obi-Wan Kenobi

38.5%
  8. Jar Jar Binks

15.4%
  9. Jango Fett

7.7%
  10. Other (specify in post below)

15.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CarbonatedGoat

CarbonatedGoat Jedi Youngling star 1

May 18, 2002
  2. CarbonatedGoat

May 18, 2002
    I liked Dex the best, possibly. I want to know more about his character though... How'd he and Obi-wan meet? What's his backstory? I want more!!!

3. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

_Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    I felt, by far the best character in the film was Obi-Wan. He acted as a Jedi should throughout.

I really enjoyed his detective work and his demeanor on Kamino, playing along with things, and then interrogating Jango Fett with a very subtle feeling of compulsion/threat underlying.

I think Ewan MacGregor was *outstanding* in the role, and that's the one thing that every reviewer I've read has agreed on.

(I wanted to know more about Dex, too. He seemed to have an interesting relationship with Obi-Wan: I'd love to see that explored somewhere.)

*Derisa*

4. CarbonatedGoat

May 18, 2002
    True. Ewain does make an excellent Kenobi.

I was browsing around some of the other forums on TFN and came across a post that was wondering about IC (in character) reasons for why, in the prequils, Obi-Wan and Anakin fight fast and furious, whilst in the OT, they fight like they're "old men who can barely walk"

I came up with a couple IC answers to this:

1) They -ARE- old men who can barely walk

2) There are various lightsaber fighting styles as put forth by various books. Inner Ring, Middle Ring, and Outer Ring. Inner is fast, yet not as powerful, Outer is slower but more powerful, and the middle ring is a combination of the two. In the prequils Obi and Ani might be using the Inner and middle rings, while in the OT, it could be the Outer ring they use to provide max damage.

3)Obi-wan, in the OT is fighting to stall Vader so that the others can make it off the Death Star, while in the NT he's fighting to kill. Vader, on the other hand, is mostly machine and will not have the fluid grace of a fully organic being.

4) My favourite reason (especially after Yoda's fight): In the NT, all the lightsaber battles have been fought in open areas, while in the OT it's been more enclosed, meaning that you can't move as much as one might like to.

5. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    I always assumed that there was much more to the lightsaber fights than just the lightsabers...

I mean, these are two masters of the force. There is more going on than is shown... such as say Vader trying to use the force to choke Obi-Wan, or Obi-Wan pulling things off walls to hurl at Vader, etc...

The effort in the force to do, and in return, block the other from doing these things would be considerable, and would account for them being "slower".

Not to mention that swordfighting/fencing is a very subtle art. Just try and block somebody from hitting you... you won't last very long if you aren't trained, probably about 3 seconds... there is so more going on than just the simple swinging of their lightsabers...

At least, that is the way I have always looked at it... :)

Indy

6. CarbonatedGoat

May 18, 2002
    I know. I fence and take aikido lessons (which includes both armed and unarmed combat)

and besides. using the force to hurl things at vader would be a use of the dark side, since it would be done in anger.

7. YoungJediNiagara

YoungJediNiagara RSA Emeritus FF Canada star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 23, 2001
  8. CarbonatedGoat

May 18, 2002
    He looks kinda like the baby alien off of Men In Black

9. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    I don't think it would be the use of the Dark Side any more than attempting to kill somebody with your lightsaber is... just because you use a different means to deal out the death, doesn't make it any better/worse.

Indy

10. Gesh_Bomil

Gesh_Bomil Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2002
    It would be the dark side of the force because it is a desire to hurt someone with the force that makes it dark. Defence is in all that the Jedi do, even their lightsabre. If the extension of that defence includes killing others who hurt or kill, then it is justified to maintain order and calm. There are probably Jedi who have never used their sabre to hurt or kill but a Sith? They exist to dominate regardless of the cost and therefore exert their desire to hurt through the force (gripping, lightning, force pushing/punching)...Jedi/Sith boxing matches?

Announcer: This Sunday Sunday at the Rollerbowl Rollerbowl. Sith Tyson vs. Jedi Ali. Only on PayPerView.

By the way, Christopher Lee is my favorite as Count Dooku but i love any new alien they have. Means more action figures.

11. Lightsaber11

Lightsaber11 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 22, 2001
    Favorite EP2 character........ Yoda.

Come on.

He's the master.

That is all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.