main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why are the mods black with a line through?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Stackpole_The_Hobbit, Feb 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darthette

Darthette Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 2003
    :_| This is just soooooo incredibly depressing! I need a black line through my name. :(

2. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    DLM Edit: You made your point in the previous post. That wasn't needed.

3. Jedi_BMack

Jedi_BMack Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    OK, so CollctingHQ.com is going to be running TF.N and RS and any other number of sites? Why the changes in stages without notifying the people involved? It doesn't seem to me like people (read: moderators) have been kept appraised of the situation as decisions have been made.

For that reason, and that reason alone, I suggest that this whole incident was not conducted above board. Adding to that, the stated intentions of demographic collections, and required registration of information for moderators removes any chance of privacy for those people who may wish to remain anonymous in their demographic.

EG: If i wish to remain anonymous in stores, I pay in cash. I have that right. This forced registration of people, whom the ownership has leverage over, removes that basic right.

That to me is insulting...

-b-

4. Cpt_Obvious

Cpt_Obvious Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2003
    After reading some of that dribble, I think I need a bullet through my head. Why can't the mods just quit and let the boards go to hell? "Wise" guy passed his chance on the "S" curve.

Josh should sue him over this mess he has caused. I will bet that there will be some lost revenue for him.

5. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    Syntax, just because it doesn't affect you as much as it does her, doesn't mean you need to belittle Darthette's, or anyone else's feelings about this.

6. BobTheGoon

BobTheGoon Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 21, 2000
    Great summary for everyone,DLM. Thanks

7. Jedi_Hood

Jedi_Hood Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 10, 2000
    Good job, DLM. Now go to bed. ;)

8. royalguard96

Aug 13, 2001
    Good job, DLM.

9. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    Royalguard:

Syntax, just because it doesn't affect you as much as it does her, doesn't mean you need to belittle Darthette's, or anyone else's feelings about this.

I'm just expressing an opinion. Darthette's post was at the very minor end of the spectrum I was trying to illustrate.
    If you don't like my opinion, by all means, say so - that's the beauty of opinions. Kinda like how I was saying that I didn't agree with the "displays of emotion" that I've seen in this thread. It's all my opinion, and I certainly hope you're not threatened by it. No one is asking you to agree with my opinion or feel the same way as me. However, saying that I CAN'T state my opinion is very wrong, and I will continue to express my opinion whenever I feel I should (so long as it abides by the TOS, of course. And my post doesn't violate the TOS, last I checked).

And how do you know it "does't affect me" as much? Simply because I'm choosing not to cry over it, or get very angry over it? "Emotional" effect isn't the only effect, you know.

You may think I'm "belittling" other people's feelings.
    Me? I think I'm just taking a "realist" approach to all of this. Like I said, I've had a very similar situation like this one happen to me on a different forum. This also isn't the first time I've experienced a "mod purge".

Like I said before, just my two credits.

10. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Thanks, folks. I'm going to leave this thread locked until the next mod comes along to keep an eye on it. Until then, hang in there, and good night (assuming you live in the same hemisphere as me).

11. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I've reopened this thread.

Please follow the rules while posting. It would be much appreciated :).

12. GenGrievous

GenGrievous Jedi Youngling

Feb 23, 2004
    It looks like Bria is a mod again! :)

13. nashira

nashira Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2002
    either mod or VIP, hard to tell.

14. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Not if you click her profile. :p

15. nashira

Jun 24, 2002
    meh, maybe I do need that cup of coffee, afterall. :p

16. TripleB

TripleB Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2000
    Hey.

Well, I seem to be the only person over here with Subscriber service, KnightWriter. I suppose, since the main reason I use IGN anyway for for their massive video game database, I have no problem cancelling it and going with GameSpot, but somehow I hve this belief that one person dropping their subscription over this is not going to be enough.

Has this 'Phil' has he really detailed why this is being done? I can see, if there is some sort of legal reason why he has to do this, that it may well be very valid what he is doing.

17. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Has this 'Phil' has he really detailed why this is being done? I can see, if there is some sort of legal reason why he has to do this, that it may well be very valid what he is doing.

If there is, we were never told it.

18. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    These boards just look drab and naked without the Mod's colors and all of our icons. Makes me even more depressed.

Has anyone tried PM'ing Philip? Maybe a mass filling up of his inbox would show how we feel. I'm not talking spamming him, but some serious well articulated letters.

19. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    Right know I don't like this. But those mods that are still here well I wish you luck. And if there are any new mods well I say let's make it easy for them.

And I know some people will not want to give out there info. But if we can get enough people then I think the boards will stay open.

20. TripleB

TripleB Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2000
    I did send a PM, but based on his # of postings, I have a pretty good idea he won't really hear about it.

This does not seem to be an issue at IGN, as all moderators obviously have to already be subscribers at IGN anyway (and that means credit cards are alredy being billed) or actual IGN employees (ie, ZeroSleep)

I Hope TFN is not heading to becoming a pay-service.

21. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    TripleB to my knowledge, no Wise has not said why giving info is necessary

22. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    TripleB, are you saying that all the mods here do/did pay? If their CC info is in the system, then their personal info is already known.

23. jhc36

jhc36 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 19, 2003
    hmmmm..... well this is definately unfortunate for the Forums, but we will get through it. in a few months this will pass. Have some hope guys.

24. royalguard96

Aug 13, 2001
    All Philip has stated is that it is necessary for mods to fork over the information in order to be a mod here. That means all current and future mods.

Never mind the current mods never agreed to such a policy when they were modded....but really, why employ common sense?

25. nashira

Jun 24, 2002
    no, the IGN mods, not TFN, had to be members of the IGN boards (which means that had to pay to be members).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.