main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NYC, NY Why are we labeled as weird?? Its just not fair.

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by SilverJedi331, Jul 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SilverJedi331

SilverJedi331 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 26, 2002
    I was watching some stupid show on MTV that was titled something like, 'my parent is embarassing me'. One of the "embarassing parents" was a Star Wars fan.
    My mom and I were watching the show and she was going on and on about how weird the guy was. I was really offended cuz Im a devoted fan of SW. When I tried to explain to her why we like it, she still thought it was strange. She said it was ok for me to like it because Im still a "kid" (Im 16) but not for the guy because he already had a family and he was a grown up. I told her that it doesnt matter how old you are, the story is still appealing and its something that some people take on for fun.
    Now I didnt take on this obsession just for fun. The whole idea of living in another galaxy where normal space travel is possible was really cool (Face it, our technology sux). I focus more on the whole idea behind the story rather than the merchandise. (I defended the guy on tv, who was a hard-core collector, by telling her that because we cant access the SW world in any way here on earth, people take to collecting things from the movie because thats how they fullfill their need for it. I know I dont collect stuff cuz I know its gonna be worth something later on. If I did, then I wouldve kept everything in the packages. I know Im never going to sell it, so I dont care how much it'll be worth in the years to come. I might be wrong, but thats how I see it.)
    Also, I really like the idea of the Jedi. Theyre guardians of peace throughout the whole galaxy, unlike here where our cops have different ranks(PD, FBI, CIA...). They have special powers which, lets face it, everyone wants. And they have the other Jedi as their family. Their home and sanctuary is the Jedi Temple. What appeals to me the most is the master-padawan relationship. Its guess its because I dont have someone like that in my life.
    Anyways, I know it might be weird to some people, but I hold SW as something kinda sacred. It was really offensive when my mom started bashing it just because she didnt understand why I like it so much and why I rely on it to get through my everyday life. It pissed me off so much and I was so angry all night.
    I read the books and I actually use certain lessons from them everyday, so its very helpful.

I know a lot of people laugh at us because they dont understand or because they think its nerdy or something, but I only think theyre missing out on something wonderful.
    I HAVE REASON BEHIND MY INSANITY!!!!!!

2. Moeskywalker64

Moeskywalker64 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 13, 2002
    I guess I liek weird people... :D

BTW-Life is not fair...if it was I would have a monkey...

3. SilverJedi331

Apr 26, 2002
    But we shouldnt be labeled weird!! We just have a better imagination than most people!!!

4. Moeskywalker64

Feb 13, 2002
    "We just have a better imagination than most people!!!"

Come on now you are labeling them...how do you know that?...there are lots of people in this world...I choose to be weird...if anyone wants to make fun of me for doing that...hey atleast I'd be getting some well deserved attention...

5. SilverJedi331

Apr 26, 2002
    fine, then theyre just ignorant. They bash things that they know nothing about and that gets me mad. Unless theyve seen it, unless they know about it, they have no right!!! My mom for example, knows NOTHING about it besides the fact that Ewan plays Obi-Wan, so I dont see why she has any right to tell me how unnatural my liking of the movies is.
    And what is so "weird" about loving Star Wars?? There's nothing wrong with it, so I dont see why they have the right to make fun of us.
    You should've seen the son on that show. I wanted to hit that kid over the head. He was moaning and groaning about how much his dad embarassed him by showing his girlfriend his SW collection. If the kid didnt want her to see it, then why did he bring her into the room with his dad specifically to show her!!?? And if he didnt like the SW party his dad was having, its not like anyone was holding a gun to his head and forcing him to attend. He shouldve gone to the movies or something.
    Personally, I wouldnt mind having a dad like that. He took the kid to the SW Celebration!!!! I was dying to go and that little !%#!$#%! got to instead of someone who could appreciate it.

6. Moeskywalker64

Feb 13, 2002
    What can we do? Ask people to hug us and not be big meanies? We can sit around and whine...which won't fix a thing...or we can enjoy the awesomeness that is Taun W...err I mean or we can just enjoy what we like to do...which is inhaling Star Wars...

If you want to feel pain then go to the Methodus Church and speak to the men with testicular cancer now that's real pain...err I mean go speak to the Trekkies... :)

And come on you enjoyed that Conan skit...never before would I have said that a sketch should win the Oscar...now I do...now I do...

7. MysterySith

MysterySith MEPA Founder/Advisor FF NYC, NY star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 17, 2000
    I'm Wierd, but that goes beyond Star Wars :p

8. ObiWill

ObiWill Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 24, 2001
    I have been accused of joining a "cult" with all this SW fandom. Well, I wear funny costumes and give my spending money to one man, George Lucas... so perhaps there's a grain of truth there. :D

9. Jay_And_Silent_Han

Jay_And_Silent_Han Jedi Youngling

May 21, 2002
    I started watching professional football as a way of appearing less weird. Then I decided I liked the Raiders, and took to dressing in silver & black bondage wear every Sunday afternoon. I guess if it's in you, it's in you.

10. cyranodb

cyranodb Jedi Master star 4

Aug 26, 2001
    I resent being called wierd. I think I said this before. Sports fans walk around all the time wearing their team shirts and clothing, trying to dress more like their favorite players. Well, I'm not that into football and baseball. My interests are Star Wars related...so when I get together with other star wars fans, I like to dress up as my favorite character. I don't think it's any less wierd than painting your face in team colors and going to a football game.

Not to mention, that I think kids get a bigger kick out of seeing Jedi, Sith and Stormtroopers walking down the street....and everyone loves Darth Zippy. :)

Mike C. ;)

11. DarthGyos

DarthGyos Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2001
    FAN=FANATIC
    To football fans, hockey is weird
    To Sw fans, Trekkies are weird

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Yes, to MAINSTREAM America, life as we know it is weird. No one can understand a collectors obsession, unless he/she too is a collector.
    I was recently on a trip to the Museum of Natural History with my family ad my brother's friend. He is 36 and a Star Wars nut, like the rest of us. My brother was shaking his head in disgust as we compared notes on our collections. I didn't think anything of it until our friend described the features of the new SLAVE 1, and how te rockets fire, etc. I looked at him and said, " you opened your collection?" Without hesitation he replied, "yeah, why the hell would you buy them for?" and kept talking.
    I found that VERY weird. I haven't opened and original piece since Episode one doubles I purposely bought, just to open.

MORAL: "F" everyone else. Life is short. Do what makes you happy. As long as no one gets hurt or it is not illegal, DO IT!

12. bobajames

bobajames Jedi Master star 3

May 6, 2002
    just to make u feel better about urself i'm labeled as a sicko....that is worse then weird....

-BJ

13. Nightstalker1313

Nightstalker1313 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 13, 2001
    <quote> . . .and everyone loves Darth Zippy.</quote>

No one calls me weird or points and laughs at me when I dress up.
    Why do you think that is???

I guess I am just normal.

14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Well, I don't know that I've been labelled as weird for my Star Wars habit. Certainly for OTHER things, but not for Star Wars...

My friends acknowledge that any woman I date has to at LEAST tolerate my Star Wars obsession -- not participate or understand it, but tolerate it. Weird? Not for sports fans...

My dad hangs posters, paintings, etc. straighter than any other person I know... so I get him to hang my Star Wars posters when I get new ones in exchange for a meal. Weird? Not to anyone who's moved...

My family loves Star Wars, albeit not with the same passion as I do. So when I got twelve tickets for 12 am Zieg, my 'rents and brothers got first crack (mom & dad couldn't go, brothers did come). Weird? Not to anyone who goes to a sporting event or concert with a posse -- one person always gets the tix.

So weird? Only from a certain point of view... one shared by many other groups of people about many other various activities as well...

15. Jedi_Samantha

Jedi_Samantha Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    . . ."and everyone loves Darth Zippy"

No one calls me weird or points and laughs at me when I dress up.
    Why do you think that is???

I guess I am just normal.

Hmm dont know Zippy. Thats a good question though. You dress up as Darth Vader, and no one calls you wierd. But yet, I dress up as Padmé, and i get called wierd and people point and laugh at me. Maybe its your height? LoL!

I dont mind being called wierd. Ive been called wierd all my life, and all through high school, and I know that I AM wierd. So i take it all in stride. When someone calls me wierd, i take it as a compliment. I mean, not everyone can be labeled as wierd. :) So i feel special.

16. Moeskywalker64

Feb 13, 2002
    It is a fact that people need to make fun of a group and in our case that group happens to be us...

I mean how different was it for people to fly half way across the world to watch the World Cup than doing the same to watch Star Wars?...the thing is that it was not different...I mean it could just as well have been them...

But it was not them and you know why? It is because we are a lot more fun than them...I mean riots and hooliganism(or any other sport enthusiasm related thing) has gotten pretty boring and if you interview them its just like "(insert team/player/wrestler name)ROX..." and that's just about it...

But look at Star Wars fans...we dress up in funny things...we say funny stuff...we act funny...heck we even look funny...we look a lot better on TV and unlike most sports fans our obsession is not just on the fields but it is every second of our lives...so I guess we are just more "funmakeable" than other fans and stuff...

17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Hmm dont know Zippy. Thats a good question though. You dress up as Darth Vader, and no one calls you wierd. But yet, I dress up as Padmé, and i get called wierd and people point and laugh at me. Maybe its your height? LoL!

No one picks on a Dark Lord of the Sith!

'nuff said.

;)

18. Jedi_Samantha

Feb 15, 2002
    "funmakeable" now theres a interesting word....lol

19. cyranodb

cyranodb Jedi Master star 4

Aug 26, 2001
    Me..I just look like a fat Jedi who, apparently, likes to eat peanut M&Ms in space.

Mike C. ;)

20. Jedi_Samantha

Feb 15, 2002
    Do they have peanut M&M's in space?

21. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    They have Pigs in Space...

22. Mayhem

Mayhem Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2001
    Piiiiiiigggggsssssssss in spaaaaaaacccccccceeeeeeeeee!!!!!

Hmmm....*thinks of a group of Gamoreans with their own ship*

23. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Hmmm....*thinks of a group of Gamoreans with their own ship*

In the immortal words of Hooper X...

"[religious figure], bitch... you almost made me laugh out loud."

which is always bad at work... ;)

24. Mayhem

Mayhem Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2001
    LOL..hehe..don't laugh too hard....you never know when something like this good come up....
    *feels wheels turning and smells smoke burning*
    Oh the possibilities...
    Oh and on subject....I am weird and freely and proudly admit it.
    I really don't believe in the word normal.....it just really can't be defined..not legitimatly(sp?) to me at least.

25. Jedi_Samantha

Feb 15, 2002
    No one picks on a Dark Lord of the Sith!

'nuff said.

Hmmm good point....But who would want to pick on a former queen? lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.