main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

why did a lot of people think this was a bad movie?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by DarthRodriqueeze, Mar 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeSolo

MikeSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    Because the movie wasn't what they thought it was going to be. It is usually why most people think certian movies are bad. Along with bad acting and lame story lines.
    When I saw TPM I never knew so many people hated it so much till I went on the internet. Most people I know felt it was a good movie, nothing like the original but still good.

2. lookatitthisway

lookatitthisway Jedi Youngling

Mar 23, 2005
    i dont hate blonds .i dont think ms.pikachu got the message . when you make a jedi , his master blond and their ship sometimes turing into shades of yellow it creates a sense of uniformity which bores you . they dont have character . i know they are suppose to control their emotions but look at the old obi wan , describe one word to describe him:compasion . this guys? , what word ? theyre just looking pretty . but , yeah i have a thing against bad blond actors . Schmi was hardly to be rememberes and padme only shows her true stuff in episode 2 .

3. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    "the fight at then end didnt mean anything!"

Your kidding, right? That fight meant everything because with Qui-Gon dead, it symbolised the beginning of the end for the Republic, the Jedi Order, and especially Anakin Skywalker.

4. Genrader

Genrader Jedi Master star 3

Sep 12, 2003
    Eh, I enjoy the movie. I particularly like Qui-Gon, he is so awesome. Other parts are just...well...mediocre at best, nothing really GOOD, just not terrible. Except for Jar-Jar, he completely ruined parts of the movie. I see his role in the whole series though, he is the one Palpatine manipulates to get in control of the Senate, but Jar-Jar's TPM role was way too large and way too corny.

Also, the Force still isn't scientific. The Force exists exactly how Yoda described it in ESB, it is a mystical energy field. However, force-sensitive beings like the Jedi, can only communicate with it due to their midichlorian counts.

5. YYZ-2112

YYZ-2112 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2004
    I think a lot of different people didn't like it because they didn't understand it. For one the main villain is in the shadows and unknown for the most part. Also his motives are unknown and so all the conflict; if not taken in perspective to the entire series; seems more like chaos and eye candy than intentional plot points. This ofcourse is not true.

Also with Darth Maul, he is the most obvious villain to the audience, but isn't developed the way Vader is; and rightly so since he's just a supporting role to provide motive for much of what the main villain inflicts upon Anakin through manipulation durring the rest of the series.

Also a huge drawback with the prequals is that the overall fate of the story as well as the characters are known before anyone even steps into the theatre. The exact details arent known about Obi-Wan or Qui-Gon for instance, but it's absolutley certain that Obi-Wan survives and Qui-Gon is out of the picture before Ep 4. Because of that unavoidable fact, it's much more difficult to create a dramatic atmosphere.

On top of all that, its an original story and doesn't aim to carbon copy any of the OT stories or images. The casual viewer probably was expecting a rehash of the OT in some obvious manner and was disappointed that it didn't happen that way. I'm willing to bet that once the series completed has a couple decades to season, both trilogies will be equally appreciated.

Anyway, I don't think these films are really being made for those of us who saw them half complete and out of order. These are going to best serve some future generation who may see the era that Star Wars was created as A long time ago in a galaxy far far away ...

6. Leia's Starboard Hair Bun

Leia's Starboard Hair Bun Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 1999
    why did a lot of people think this was a bad movie?

Because people had waited 15-odd years for more Star Wars films, and what they got was Jar Jar with more screen time than Obi-Wan, midichlorians, and immaculate conception preteen Anakin driving in circles for 20 minutes and then later accidentally destroying a trade blockade for some reason. TPM's poor quality combined with the heightened expectations (driven in large part by LFL's own marketing machine) resulted in a fairly significant and completely predictable backlash.

7. Lord_Of_Sith

Lord_Of_Sith Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 28, 2005
    + People had waited 15-odd years for more Star Wars films: so?
    + What they got was Jar Jar with more screen time than Obi-Wan: who ever said Obi was the main character of TPM?
    + midichlorians: it's just an explanation of the mechanics of the Force not the Force itself
    + immaculate conception: ...and your point is?!?
    + preteen Anakin driving in circles for 20 minutes: it's called a "race"
    + then later accidentally destroying a trade blockade for some reason: was it really an accident? or was it fate?
    + TPM's poor quality: thank you for sharing your Opinion
    + combined with the heightened expectations (driven in large part by LFL's own marketing machine): your OPINIONS sure are fascinating - thanks for sharing
    + resulted in a fairly significant and completely predictable backlash: more interesting Opinions! Thanks!

TPM is one of the most complex, visually stunning, challenging films ever made for a young audience. It deserves points for its scope and ambition.

8. MrC123

MrC123 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2004
    1. What I don't understand is how so many people mis-interpreted the midichlorian idea. The Force isn't caused by the midichlorians at all; Qui-gon doesn't ever say this. He says without them "we wouldn't have knowledge of the Force," implying that they have something to do with the Force but not that they are the cause of it. They appear to be is a measure for who has more power in the Force than other people. The midichlorians have a CONNECTION with the Force, "They continually speak to us, telling us the will of the Force," another quote from Qui-gon stating how the midi's are only have a close connection (or correlated) with the Force, not a cause of it. As psychology students know, correlations do not equal causations. And those of you who are spoiled for ROTS know that there is a lot more to the Force than meets the eye.

2. Jar-jar. My opinion is this: he's there for the kids. Plain and simple. And you know what? Most kids adore the blabbering fool. He's comic relief in a more adult-themed Star Wars movie (I say this because of the more violent fighting, more adult understanding things like trade taxation and politics, etc.). IMO, GL was trying to create a movie that appealed to both kids and adults, using more complicated themes for adults and child-like innocence (Anakin, Jar-jar, fart jokes) for the kids. Call it, a live-action Shrek movie.

3. Jake Lloyd... I'll admit I was pretty annoyed by him. But after seeing TPM so many times, I've come to accept him as young Anakin. I still think they should've used Hayden for Anakin though, it just makes more sense to me that Padme and Anakin be roughly the same age. Call me traditional, I guess.

4. Darth Maul's death: not quite sure what would happen if he survived. I really liked Darth Maul, but hey, seeing him die didn't bother me any. I do think that Dooku should've been added to TPM. A scene with him arguing with Yoda about how the Jedi council sucks at the end of TPM after Qui-gon dies would've been a great lead-in to AOTC.

My 2 cents...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.