main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Why the NJO and Legacy Era are toast.

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by stellarmagic01, Nov 5, 2012.

?

Do you think the NJO and Legacy are going to Survive Episode VII?

1. Yes

59 vote(s)
    27.6%
  2. No

154 vote(s)
    72.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Sadly, he did have an influence in Dark Empire, mainly he vetoed the original plot of a Vader look-alike running around, and then agreed to the clone proposal (which it seems he has since come to regret).

2. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Dark Empire is awesome in its sheer audacity and flat-out off-the-leash insanity. If you take it as mindless fluff, it's pretty cool.

3. stellarmagic01

Nov 1, 2012
    Basically... read Dark Empire if you want to see an Imperial Battle Fleet... everything you saw in the movies was nothing but their local anti-rebel patrol by comparison (Which is actually true. We see one Dreadnaught and what 20 Destroyers total). Bust out the biggest, meanest, most over the top fleets of ships you can imagine and watch the Galactic Empire actually go to war.

The story is weak, but the visuals are quite good. XP

DarthBoba and Artoo-Dion like this.
  4. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Not surprising. I know I've heard him kinda bad mouth it in some quotes.

5. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Audacity I'll give you. I just can't stand somebody trying to retcon Luke's hero's journey. Luke won. The end. Deal with it EU. :)

6. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Some of the imagery of Dark Empire is undeniably awesome. I've always thought that Luke in his Vader gear on the cover of issue 2 was one of the most powerful, iconic images in the whole franchise.

Dark Empire was also responsible for this masterpiece of modern toy design: http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=/TLC/ComicPacks/12EmperorLuke/TLC-1265.jpg o_O

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  7. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    OMG, what is that? Is that Ronald Reagan? :)

8. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Close. Clone Palpatine, in all of his sith diaper glory!

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  9. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I don't disagree, really. It's one reason I treat the EU as disposable entertainment, and why the pleas "It's all canon!" baffle me.

10. cronedoggy

cronedoggy Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 3, 2012
    I agree with you regarding staying power. I feel like the bantam era played it very safe. It is very natural to expect for Han and Leia to have kids. Luke would rebuild the jedi order. 19 or so years would be spent mopping up the empire. Before anyone declares the last point as crazy, mind you America spent 10 years in afganistan even though we essentially won after 6 months. The rebels retake coruscant within a year and have a new government, it just takes a while for a whole galaxy to come to order.

11. cronedoggy

Nov 3, 2012
    Is that true? Lumiya was a major character in legacy of the force. I think the marvel comics were more ignored than decanonized. They didn't retell the time between EP4 and 5 with the current EU, which was the domain of the comics.

12. cronedoggy

Nov 3, 2012
    What's kind of funny is that the Legacy comics respect the New jedi order more than Legacy of the force or fate of the jedi. Not that the vong needed to be center stage again, but they and their effects get almost no mention.

13. stellarmagic01

Nov 1, 2012
    Yes it is... apparently it goes like this. The Marvel Comics are N-canon unless referenced by a higher canon source... which means, until they brought freaking Lumiya back in the new comics and books, she was classed as infinities. Expect the same thing to happen in any reboot.

14. cronedoggy

Nov 3, 2012
    Couldn't this be levied against the new sequels as "Audacity I'll give you. I just can't stand somebody trying to retcon Luke's hero's journey. Luke won. The end. Deal with it ST. :)"

15. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Interesting. I didn't know much about the Vong when I was reading those. I had to do some wookieepedia research a few times. I actually thought the Vong were kinda interesting.

16. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Depends on if Luke is the main protagonist of the ST. I get the feeling he won't be.

17. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Not explicitly- they simply didn't have references to events from them. Later works do- and Marvel SW ended up being clarified as canon- just slightly lower, so easier to retcon.

18. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    This maybe a silly question but what is confusing the hell out of me is when Luke is finally promoted to Jedi Knight. is it when he announces it to the Emperor that he is a Jedi after he refuses to kill Anakin Vader?

19. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Something that means little .....Halloween 1 & 2 came out in 1978 & 1980 Halloween 3 came out in 1982 ( but had nothing to do with the series at all ) in 1988 Halloween 4 came out & was the sequel to Halloween 2 ( I'm getting there ! ) & Halloween 5 in 1989 which followed on from Halloween 4 & then in 1996 Halloween 6 came out which was the follow up to Halloween 5......so after all that in 1998 Halloween H:20 came out which became the official sequel to Halloween 2 an it ignored Halloween 4,5 & 6 pretended they never exsisted....so what I'm saying is even a movie franchise ignores movies before them but if Star Wars Episode 7 ignores the EU it is only ignoring written material not anything movie based . --------sorry I was bored just felt like telling you guys this bit of useless info .

20. Brenapp

Brenapp Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    I actually quite like Dark Empire. What are the things Lucas has said about it in recent years?

I've not read the novels themselves, but I've heard that in one of Timothy Zahn's later books for Bantam (either Spectre of the Past or Vision of the Future), he has characters reference DE while also providing possible retcons for some of the story elements, such as theorizing that the reborn Palpatine was not actually the real Palpatine at all.

21. Brenapp

Brenapp Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    I reckon it's inevitable that the new Disney films will contradict a lot of what's been established in the EU over the decades. Here's an idea: For those of us who've invested too much in the EU to just disregard huge swathes of it (I include myself in that group), how about we just treat these new films as Infinities stories?

tsunami1138 likes this.
  22. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    That was Vision of the Future- with Mara saying: "Personally, I'm not convinced it was really him"

In The Essential Guide to the Force, Tionne also comments on the events, suggesting it's possible that his clones were just clones with his memories- and that there was no "essence transfer".

23. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    I am an EU fan, I just choose to view things in a positive and realistic light rather then a negative or bitter one.

Its temporary if the quality isn't there. If the new stuff is good it stays.

24. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I don't find those posting here in opposition to your view to be negative or bitter. I just see them hoping for a different outcome than the one you're convinced we'll see.

25. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    Posts along the lines of "I will never read the EU again if they change things" are negative and bitter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.