main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Will the PT music be fixed for the DVD?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by hawk, Jul 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    Will the PT music be fixed when Lucas works on the new DVDs? Overall, there is nothing wrong with the music from TPM. Personally, I think it is lacking but it is complete. However, the music in AOTC is chopped to bits towards the end like nothing before. The music in ROTS is especially a mess. There are bits and pieces all over the place with very little build. I don't believe Lucas would leave the music in this unfinished form. Do you think it needs work?

2. OBI-BEN-KENOBI

OBI-BEN-KENOBI Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 13, 2004
    Yeah, AOTC got really screwed up, but it's the only movie that needs audio fixing really.

Maybe Lucas will do it, but it's unlikely.

Waka Waka Waka!

3. mynameismyown

mynameismyown Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2005
    he used those music placement because john williams either didnt 1) write the music for it or 2) it was reedited before he could change the music cue. so no i dont think he'll change it unless he has williams write new music for it

4. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    Outside of a few minor AotC bits i really have no problem with the music, especially not in RotS.

- O_F

5. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    ROTS for the whole, musically speaking, was fine - however, I understand what your saying, and there were two scenes that did annoy me in that respect (not as much as the botched job music editing in AOTC!), and they were the scenes with the entrance to the Jedi Temple, and the Invisible Hand entering Coruscant's atmosphere - especially with that scene because the cut in the music is so noticable.

Why he couldn't have just used some original piece that fitted in there is beyond me! :confused:

6. Eugene_Meltsner_AIO

Eugene_Meltsner_AIO Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2002
    Well, the whole Battle of Naboo in TPM seriously needs to be fixed. I heard that it was "rescored" with tracks and splices after GL gave the exclusive test screening to his friends, and went back and restructured the whole battle. By that time, there wasn't enough time to truly rescore it. Also, the Battle of Geonosis is almost nothing but tracked music from TPM. If they can only do a few things, they need to have JW actually score the Geonosis battle, and either restore the Naboo battle to its original form, or have JW rescore it (although, it would be nice to see a true "director's cut" of TPM, as it was before he had a bunch of input from his friends).

I don't know how much will be done, but these things would take top priority in my book. First Geonosis (at least TPM had some music that belonged in that MOVIE), and if it can be done, then Naboo. Beyond that, any other restorations of cut/tracked/omitted music would be cool, depending on the situation.

7. Tomtrek

Tomtrek Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 26, 2002
    One simple change:

get rid of the damn tracked music.

Put something new in there instead. Y'know, something that actually fits to what's on screen?

8. The-Tennis-Ball-Kid

The-Tennis-Ball-Kid Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 2, 2004
    It's very unlikely anything will be done. Lucas just doesn't care. (IMO)

ttbk

9. GeneralGrievous1

GeneralGrievous1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 6, 2005
    I am content with the music as it is. Not saying it's perfect though.

10. bright sith

bright sith Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 27, 1999
    I agree with Tennis Ball, unfortunately.

11. Luke_Sparkewalker

Luke_Sparkewalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    I love rots, but the music, or lack thereof, really got to me after a few veiwings.

I hated the way scenes on the IH at the start had no music - like when they fought the bodyguards, no music....no music in a sw film??!! and when hey go into to the room with palps - no music...just felt really blank. the music in sw is one of the best parts.

12. Indiana_Fett

Indiana_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 12, 2004
    I'd like for him to add...

The rest of the music that plays after Grievous' entrance, which would score the scene up until Artoo oil slicks the Super Battle Droids. (You can hear this on the CD, it plays at 4:46 on the first track.)

The music when Artoo runs away from the Droidekas (Grievous and the Droids.)

Add the Death Star motif after Dooku shuts off the hologram.

More ANH Imperial motif and Death Star motif around the end of ROTS

Luke and Leia's theme during the birth, or when Obi-Wan, Bail and Yoda decide on what to do with the twins.

13. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    The music in ROTS is especially a mess

What are you talking about?

14. Ob-wan-shawa

Ob-wan-shawa Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 10, 2005
    I didn't notice any mess of music in any of the pt.

15. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Perhaps you missed the blatent edits in TPM and AOTC that could have been done better with a machete?

16. Wester547

Wester547 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 5, 2004
    The careless placement of the music in ROTS? The Balcony with Anakin & Padmé? Bail's speeder at the Jedi Temple Entrance? The birth of Darth Vader? Vader and the Clonetroopers marching on the Jedi Temple? The generally poor editing of the music? The list goes on..... that's not to say that AOTC is any better as it disgustingly recycles the PT music, the editing is terrible, etc.

17. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

Jun 27, 2001
    That's all subject to opinion. The scene with Bail's speeder zooming into the Temple may not be perfect but it gets me emotional none the less. The birth of Vader is perfect. The sad funeral music that plays works great here because it entails the end of Anakin forever (until the very end of his life). Anakin Skywalker is dead, and the music is fantastic. I love the march on the Temple. I don't think the Imperial March would have worked here. I honestly don't. Throughout the Prequels the Trade Federation theme has been the main villain theme, so I think it works best here. I honestly don't see any problems with the balcony scene; I'm not sure what you see wrong with it.

As for editing, I again see no problems. There were a few rough cuts here and there, but it certainly wasn't enough to destroy my enjoyment. And personally, I think musically, the last half hour of ROTS is absolutely stunning, and I wouldn't change a thing.

18. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    The careless placement of the music in ROTS?

Are there any details besides the ones below?

The Balcony with Anakin & Padmé?

What is wrong with Anakin's Dream? I think that music is briliant and beautifully haunting.

Bail's speeder at the Jedi Temple Entrance?

Wow you have issue with Anakin's Betrayal? That really surprises me. It's one of the standout cues on the soundtrack

The birth of Darth Vader?

No sorry, this is the DEATH of ANAKIN. As such, the Jedi Funeral music is a fantastic choice. Personally I think it works extremely well in its place over the montage of the death of Padmé, the birth of the twins, the death of Anakin and the birth of Vader.

Vader and the Clonetroopers marching on the Jedi Temple?

This is the only one I agree with. I hate the use of a badly edited Arena cue to score this. There is NO WAY Williams had anything to do with this. No doubt he composed something brilliant to go here.

19. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    Williams probably ran out of time on the Revenge of the Sith score. Understandably, he doesn't write as quickly as he used to. It's far above the Chamber of Secrets mess, though: a basically complete score. Will it ever be totally completed? Of course not - in fact, the music editing will be even worse for the DVD release because of the added scenes (some senatorial business, I believe).

20. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    I grow tirede of people complaining about the TPM score, there's nothign wrong with it. You only know it's chopped to hell and gone because we follow the actual creation of the music. Personally, I think the way the music plays it sounds urgent.

Now, AOTC and ROTS...I wouldn't mind them fixing that up, simply by replacing the tracked music, or heck, if they're too lazy to write new music, just have Williams re-record the tracked music so a) it at least sounds a little different, and b) it doesn't have irritating edits.

But especially in the case of AOTC, I'd like to see some new battle music fleshed out.

21. Wester547

Nov 5, 2004
    Nothing. I have nothing wrong with the actual score - the EDITING is my issue. It's not even taken into consideration and is just thrown everywhere. The actual musical themes are beautiful, haunting, chilling, and awesome, I do concur there, no doubt. Hands down to John Williams.

No. It's a standout theme - you're right - it's amazing. My problem is the editing then - yes the "dramatic" entrance of Bail in his speeder arriving at the Jedi Temple.... it just feels like the music is a seperate element from the movie at times.

Anakin's already DEAD at this point - he died when he made a pact with Sidious after cutting off Mace Windu's hand. So you could dub it the DEATH of ANAKIN - or you the BIRTH of VADER. The Funeral Music is okay, again spot off pacing and editing is a problem here. But otherwise it's not neccessarily bad.

Well, that, and I have yet to be shown proof. He was said to have composed something brilliant for The Arena Jedi vs Battle Droids battle in AOTC as well - and guess what theme from TPM was recycled over and over again... yeah.

22. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    Nothing. I have nothing wrong with the actual score - the EDITING is my issue. It's not even taken into consideration and is just thrown everywhere. The actual musical themes are beautiful, haunting, chilling, and awesome, I do concur there, no doubt. Hands down to John Williams.

No. It's a standout theme - you're right - it's amazing. My problem is the editing then - yes the "dramatic" entrance of Bail in his speeder arriving at the Jedi Temple.... it just feels like the music is a seperate element from the movie at times.

Anakin's already DEAD at this point - he died when he made a pact with Sidious after cutting off Mace Windu's hand. So you could dub it the DEATH of ANAKIN - or you the BIRTH of VADER. The Funeral Music is okay, again spot off pacing and editing is a problem here. But otherwise it's not neccessarily bad.

Right, the editing is bad... but not in these cues. They were left completely alone in the film. A better example might be "Council Meeting" (the end of "Palpatine's Teachings" on the album) or "Anakin vs. Obi-Wan" with those awful bass drum overdubs.

I grow tirede of people complaining about the TPM score, there's nothign wrong with it. You only know it's chopped to hell and gone because we follow the actual creation of the music. Personally, I think the way the music plays it sounds urgent.

But having not heard the original score, how would you know? The original TPM score is, in most ways, longer and fuller than the UE. For example, most of the battle cues were abbreviated for the UE. There's also the greater prominence of the political motif, which is a little hard to spot in the UE. The Battle of Naboo music, while not as "urgent," forms a grand symphonic suite that would rival "Battle of Yavin." And the original film version of "Duel of the Fates" is much cooler than the concert version that was tracked in. Lots of timpani and bass drum stuff. You guys like bass drums, right? ;)

23. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Yah and the entire end of TPM, the music is choppy and doesn't flow well. Also, how many times do we need to track the beginning of "Talk of Podracing"? It's in the film 3 times!

24. Wester547

Nov 5, 2004
    What? Duel of the Fates is beautifully edited and used at the end, and the pacing is perfect, spot on, and at least the music accomodates the three-way Duel. And if you're refering to that Gungan vs. Droid musical theme, well.. it's a bit redundant, but I think the editing isn't all that bad. AOTC and ROTS is far worse in that particular category.

Wow, we must have seen completely different versions of ROTS. I highly suggest rewatching the film and listening to how the musical score compliments specific sequences - it doesn't. At all. Completely leaving it alone wasn't neccessarily a terrible mistake, but it wasn't such a good idea either.

And the awful bass drum overdubbs? That was one of the only worthy accomdating musical moments of the whole duel!!! Yoda vs Sidious and Anakin vs Obi-Wan for Christ's sake!! It gave epic scale and feel to the whole contest in the Senate Chamber room and to Anakin choking Obi-Wan, and even afterwards when they decided to perform a fist fight. But when BOTH comes on - there's again, nearly no attention paid to music editing, and same with "Padmé's ruminiations" in the whole scene where Anakin decides whether he should remain in the Jedi Council Chambers pizt off or try to help Palpatine to save Padmé.

25. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

Jun 27, 2001
    or "Anakin vs. Obi-Wan" with those awful bass drum overdubs.

I love those drums. Love them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.