main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Without a Trace(JA Drama/angst) COMPLETED Oct3/02

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Arwen-Jade_Kenobi, Aug 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2002
    Okay being stuck in cottage country for two weeks has obviously caused for several shorts to be popping up in my head.

Title: Without a Trace
    Author: Arwen Jade Kenobi
    Genre: Drama, angst (obi age 15)
    rating: not quite sure yet
    summary: Obi is recovering from some injuries and an illness from his latest mission. Qui is sent off to settle a dispute and and vanishes, leaving Obi-Wan to worry.

-----------------------------
    Without a Trace: Part One

Obi-Wan's POV

Two Broken Legs, one broken arm, one , seven broken ribs, concussion, bruises, minor bleeding, a headache the size of a Yavin Moon and, to top it off, Mi'sung syndrome.

Why do I think that the Force is out to kill me? I think I've spent about a year of my apprenticeship stuck in healer's wards, I might develop back problems from laying down so much.

It's three AM and two days after I was taken out of the bloody Bacta tank. I still can't move either of my legs or my left arm, even if I could I'm still stuck here.

Mi'sung syndrome is basically mutated flu. I get nausous, being cold and still sweating (or being hot and shivering), headaches, coughing fits, high fever and other such unplesentries.

Aren't I the lucky one. I am going to be stuck here for a while.

I look next to me, Qui-Gon is sleeping and I have no intention of waking him up. I'm grateful that's I'm the one all banged up and not him, he was this close to being in my place. But I changed the rules, causing me to be in this bed and not him.

And there was much rejoicing.

Sith, I feel like crap. My head is pounding and I'm sweating even though it must be bellow freezing in here.

I see the painkillers on the other side of my bed, reching it will be a chore.

Just be very quiet and don't wake up Qui-Gon, come on Obi-Wan you can do it.

I grit my teeth as I try to reach the pain pills, my fingers touch the bottle but pain shoots up my arm.

I lower myself back with more force than nesisary, and can't hide a gasp for air. I loose concentration and the shields I've been holding up all night come crashing down.

Sith. Qui-Gon's stirred in his sleep and his midnight eyes shot open. I knew very well what he was seeing.

A fifteen year old Jedi Padawan in complete agony.

"Padawan what's wrong?!" he grabbed my good hand.

My breathing was in short gasps and I could tell Qui-Gon was going to call the Healers.

I gripped his arm. "Don't...call..them." I gasped and I jerked my head to the pills, stupidly causing more pain.

----------------
    more soon but I gtg

2. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Feb 9, 2002
  3. sheleigh

sheleigh Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 31, 2002
    You stopped...

That simply will not do! Arwen please post more! :)

4. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    awe great post wingmate, need more soon.

5. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    No- you can't stop it there!

6. Jinn_and_Tonic

Jinn_and_Tonic Jedi Youngling

Aug 4, 2002
    Cliffhanger on the first post?! You are a torture-er aren't you? :-D

Jinn

7. kasiaskywalker

kasiaskywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

May 1, 2002
  8. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Feb 9, 2002
    Yep Jinn, I enjoy cliffies, my readers can tell you that I leve lots of 'em [face_devil]

------------------
    I choke back a scream as my Master looks over at the pills, refusing to leave me even for a second, he reaches out with the Force to call the small white bottle to his fingers.

He takes a quick look a the dosages then take two capsules out of the bottle. Then released my hand so I can take the pills and he goes to get me a glass of water.

The moment the pills touch my tongue I seem to feel better, Qui-Gon returns with the water and I quickly take the pills down.

I close my eyes and count to ten, all the while taking deep breaths. I feel Qui-Gon grab my hand again and I know I'd better give him a sign that I'm okay.

Well..okay from a certain point of view.

"T-Thanks" I stutter. I start getting chills again.

Great, perfect timing. Sith, I HATE being sick!

Qui-Gon gives me a look. I see concern in his eyes but also a small hint of amusement.

"You're welcome Padawan, and no one likes being sick."

I smile through my slowly fading pain and muttered that I think I should just move in and save Saline and Den the trouble of getting a bed ready for me.

At that Qui-Gon laughed, I love seeing him laugh. I doesn't happen much but when it does, it makes me feel so much better.

Even when I feel like I have been stepped on by a rancor.

I shift in my bed, trying to find a comfortable position. Qui-Gon asks how long I;ve been up.

"Since you fell asleep." Qui-gon frowned, that was hours ago.

"It hurt too much," I said, "I thought if I stayed awake, maybe it would go away."

My Master looked at me with hurt in his eyes, he asked why I hadn't awoken him.

I said that he needed his sleep, he hadn't slept in a week as far as I knew.

"Obi-Wan Kenobi, you need sleep far more than I do. And I, for one, am going to make sure you get it."

I felt the sleep suggestion coming on and I sent out a mental thank you to Qui-Gon as I finally fell asleep.
    -----------------------

9. sheleigh

Jan 31, 2002
    Good, Qui-Gon, you tell Obi-Wan. And Obi's out like a light. :D

Yes, Jinn, our great authoress Arwen has an evil tendency to leave us hanging off cliffs on each post. Though for some reason this one wasn't as evil as usual.... something is going to happen! *end paranoid*

;)

10. Ginger_Jedi

Ginger_Jedi Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    Good, Qui-Gon, you tell Obi-Wan. And Obi's out like a light

[face_laugh] Sheleigh! :D

Nice start Padawan :) Glad you kept busy during your holiday ;)

11. kasiaskywalker

kasiaskywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

May 1, 2002
  12. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Feb 9, 2002
    Sheleigh: [face_laugh] LOL

Ginger: Yep, one of my curses is that the smallest thing springs a plot bunny.

kasiaskywalker: thanks!
    -----------------------
    The next day, I woke up feeling slightly better than last night.

Except for the fact that there was a syringe stuck in my broken arm.

It took a great amount of will power to keep from screaming in surprise.

"Oh you're awake!"

The voice was familler, I looked up. A strong features face with brandy brown eyes, his sandy blonde hair was cut in Padawan style. I recognized him immidiatly.

"Den, I think injecting my while I'm awake would be a better idea. Less risk of me dying of a heart attack!"

Healer's apprentice Den Calthorpe grinned mischivously. You would think that someone who delt with saving lives every day would be a lot more serious. Not Den.

He helped me sit up in bed and I asked him what was in that syringe. Den insisted that it was nothing for me to worry about, just some antibiotics.

I'll have to trust him on that one. I took a look towards the chair that Qui-Gon would be sitting in, it was empty.

Now I'm not a baby, I am capable of taking care of myself. But I was still shocked to see him gone.

"Where's Qui-Gon?" I tried to hide the concern from my voice.

My friend seemed to shrug it off like it wasn't important. "The council called for him early this morning, they didn't say what for. I think they just wanted a mission report."

It seemed resonable to me, but something didn't seem right. Den said early this morning...

"What time is it now?" I asked.

"10:52hrs" answered Den curiously

"What time did Qui-Gon leave?"

"I don't remember, I think around 0800."

I turned that around in my head for a bit. The mission we had been on was pretty complicated, but they council wouldn't need to keep him this long over a report.

Unless....no, they wouldn't do that!

At that moment, my Master walked in. His face was a mask but I could tell that he was not pleased.
    ---------------------------

13. sheleigh

Jan 31, 2002
    yep- I was right- there's a cliffhanger!

Arwen! Glad to see you back to your normal cliffie self. ;)

Excellent post. :)

Since Qui-Gon isn't pleased, one assumes he is being sent on a solo mission. Hmm....

14. TheFallen

TheFallen Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    You and CK are in cohorts with each other to make me have an aneurysm.

A good aneurysm, though. ;)

15. astroanna

astroanna Jedi Master star 4

Jul 8, 2002
    Hmmmmmmmm, an unusually long council session and a very displeased Jedi Master. Wonder what that's about.

Gee, (hint, hint) I hope I don't have to wait too long to find out (HINT, HINT!)

:)

16. Ginger_Jedi

Ginger_Jedi Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    Yep, one of my curses is that the smallest thing springs a plot bunny.

I know exactly how you feel :)

Good post and a nice mild cliffhanger ;) Are you slowly building up to a massive cliffhanger?

17. obi-wannabe_1138

obi-wannabe_1138 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 31, 2002
    Wow! This is great! I LOVE first person stories! I want more!

18. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    uh oh, I sense trouble

19. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    wow great cliff hanger wingmate can't wait for more

20. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Feb 9, 2002
    sheleigh: Dang! you read the summary didn't you?

TheFallen: I leave that to your imagination...have fun with the aneurysm!

astroanna: LOL hint taken!

Ginger: posibly...*looks innocent*

obi_wannabe: Glad your enjoying it! I don't usually write in first person

Kitara: To quote Obi: "Your insides serve you well" [face_evil]

Falcon: More is here!

------------------------
    Den looked at me and I gave him one of my "I have a bad feeling about this" looks. He nodded and walked over to Qui-Gon, he gave him a quick update of my condition.

My legs and Mi'Sung syndrome were the only things on the priority list. My fever was slowly going down to normal and he expected me to be complely over it in about a week.

On that day I had to start physiotherapy for my legs. If all went well I could be walking in about a month, and resume training shortly thereafter.

Qui-Gon nodded his understanding and Den left the room, probably going to give his report to his Master.

My Master walked over to me and threw himself into the chair next to my bed, by that small act I could tell he was furious.

"Master," I said carefully, "What's wrong?"

Qui-Gon clenched his hands together, trying to keep his rage to himself. "The council gave me a solo mission, I refused it outright but they wouldn't listen. I have no choice, my transport leaves in a few minutes."

So, It was as I feared. The Sithly council had gone and given Qui-Gon a mission, while I'm still - to quote my datafile - "inactive due to medical reasons - again"

"It's just a minor dispute on Ord Mantell," Qui-Gon continued. "Workers are rebelling against their employers and they've requested a neutral party to oversee the negotiations."

I knew this technique. It was one he used when he was trying to convice me - and sometimes himself - that the mission would be short. Often, an expected week long mission ended lasting several.

I knew that my Master did not want to go on any mission until I was on my feet and could remain so.

"I don't expect the mission to last more than a few days" said Qui-Gon, though his voice said that he wasn't going to let it go longer than a few days.

"It's alright Master," i said. "Just don't get into any trouble or I'll have to get in a hoverchair and come after you."

HIs face went stern. "Padawan, no matter what happens I want you to promise you won't come after me. I highly doubt that the mission will go to those kind of extremes but I want you to stay on Temple grounds."

I but my lip, when I made promises I kept them without question. I never make promises I can't keep, that's why I am VERY reluctant to promise him this.

He looks at me with a face that reads no arguments. I sighed. "I promise."

Qui-Gon nodds. "I am going to hold you to that Obi-Wan."

I knew he was going to say that. I had a feeling I was going to regret making this promise.

He stood up and gave me a hug and ruffled my spikey hair. I clung to him, something was screaming to me that this was a bad idea, and that Qui-Gon may not come back alive.

I banished the thought as he realesed me, I'd have to see if paranoia was one of my symptoms.

"I'll see you soon Obi-Wan." he said. He headed to the door.

"Master!" i called out. He turned. "May the Force be with you" I said.

Qui-Gon nodded. "and with you. Stay in bed." he ordered as he walked out the door.

I stared at the doorway for long time after he left.

Six days later

"HOLY SITH THAT HURT!!!" I screamed at Master Healer Saline Ne'hera as she attempted to move my legs.

"I know Obi-Wan just calm down or I'll have to sedate you." I shut up. The Twi'lek healer could be ruthless if she had to.

I took my good hand and grabbed onto the side of the bed as I called on the Force to give me some sort of strength.

It seemed to be working alright, i could feel Saline's hands on my badly broken legs but not as much pain.

I was not expecting a vision of Qui-Gon to appear to me. He was standing in a room full of various

21. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    noooooooo not Qui Gon another cliff hanger wingmate, you are really good with them. more soon??

Falcon

22. sabercrazy

sabercrazy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!! EVIL CLIFFIE!!!!!

23. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Cliffhangers . . . :mad:

Oh well. I do them myself. 8-}

Looking forward to the next post. :)

24. obi-wannabe_1138

obi-wannabe_1138 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 31, 2002
    !!!!!! Want more!!!!!!!

25. sheleigh