main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

WNU - Feedback, Suggestions, Thoughts... Reasons to stay: What do you miss? What shall we add?

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by Skiara , Oct 3, 2008.

1. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    So TISSI =/= TIS... But what's TISSI then? :confused:

Amanda, why do you refer to next year? :confused:

Yep, your support is really great! And when someone really suggest to close down Teh Mole, I know whom I have to ask for help! [:D]

2. GIMER

GIMER Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 15, 2000
    Obviously not me. :p[face_laugh]

3. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
  4. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    So this whole thing has just given me a WONDERFUL idea for a prank for next year on another forum that I'm on! [face_devil]

[face_skull]

5. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Official Statement from MS:

When the subject of the cultures of the various forums come up, remember this is not an us vs. them environment. We are all one big group of boards. Discuss the forums and their respective topics, and stay away from generalizations that target a particular forum in a negative fashion. If your comment is potentially insulting to a user or a group of users, or an entire forum, just don't post it. It could lead us into waters that are better left unsailed.

Treat the users in your fellow forums with respect, even if you disagree vehemently with them. If something would be edited as a flame were it directed at a single user, it will not be allowed when directed at a forum or a group of users. There is a line between discussing the state of things in a constructive manner and just trying to be insulting to a forum or group with that opinion. Know the difference and act accordingly. This has been discussed and agreed upon by the MS as a whole.

This is also posted in Comms. I ask you to remember this when you want to write something about other boards. Thanks. :)

6. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Skiara, other mods have put that statement in its own thread. It would be more visible that way, instead of being on the end of a thread. Just a thought. [face_peace]

7. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Some did, some not. I figured that it's enough to put it here and change the title. :)

8. MasterMonkey13

MasterMonkey13 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 19, 2008
    Although I see your point Skiara, I have to agree with Gunny here, maybe (it's just a thought) you could sticky this thread so all the new users will see it easily?

9. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Do you really think this thread is important for new members? Why? :confused:

10. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    It could be used to reinforce the "No Flaming" policy. [face_thinking]

11. Mister_Master

Mister_Master Jedi Master star 6

Oct 17, 2007
    I don't think this needs to be stickied. New Users wouldn't find this very helpful.

12. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Normally Comms is the place to read new announcement. I put it here, so hopefully all of us read it. Stickies are overlooked often. So I don't like to make this a sticky one. In addition, I don't think that new user will get any advantage out of it. So it's mainly only for midbies and oldbies.

But I've changed the color of the text above, so it's easier to pick and I'll add it to the first post in a moment for a few days. :)

13. MasterMonkey13

MasterMonkey13 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 19, 2008
    Sounds good Skiara

14. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Increased visibility of the statement helps. Thanks, Skiara. [face_peace]

15. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    It's over a year ago that I joined the mod team and started modding WNU. Although my aims are still the same (keeping WNU a friendly, interesting, welcoming and helpful place), I'm sure my views changed during that time, since being a mod is different to being a user solely.

That's why I wanted to ask you for some help. This goes out to everyone, no matter if you just signed up or if you're here for ages.

What do you enjoy the most of WNU?
    What would you love to see changed?
    Do you think I participate enough?
    Do you think I'm too hard or too easy in moderating?
    Do you have any ideas for WNU to make it better?
    Is there anything else you want to express?

Please, send me a PM with those answers. Of course, you don't have to answer all. I just would like to get your view (positive and negative). And I hope that you're not afraid to send it to me, but if you are, it's ok to ask another person to send it to me, so I can't figure out who it was originally.

I don't know what will come out of this, so don't be frustrated, if my replies are very short.

Thanks to everyone who participate! :)

Edit: For those who can't pm me because of the 20-post-limit, feel free to use the sticky thread at this board or to use my email adresse, which you can find in my profile. :)

16. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    This is a really great idea, Skiara. :D

17. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    I'll try to send in one of these.

18. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Thanks. :)

That would be cool, Gunny. :)

Maybe I should announce a date until I do that Survey. ;)

Please, send in your PMs until the 12th of October! :)

Thanks. :)

19. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Some more feedback? :)

20. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    NYCitygurl and I talked about improving WNU and we realised that a lot of new members vanish from WNU really fast. If they leave for other boards, it's cool and I'm happy, but it seems that lots of them get lost in the big wide internet. That's why we would like to give them more help to stay, give them some reasons to stay longer. :)

We all love meeting new members, talking to them, do pillow fights with them, catching teh mole together and so on, but we rarely invite them to these threads personally. So the first suggestion is: Posting more invitations when welcoming new members! Showing them that they are really welcome to join us! If you - yes, you! would like to help us, it would be great. Of course, linking them to interesting threads would do as well. A sporty person to Arena (and pillow fight), a chatty person to the JCC (and our party), a gamy person to C&G (and teh mole), etc. :)

But Nat came up with another idea as well. We might need a new thread, which is focused on giving the new members a reason to post, to start to get familiar with WNU and the boards as a whole. A fresh one.

Sadly neither Nat nor me can come up with a good idea. We might be simply be too much of oldbies already. :p That's why we would like to ask you! Everyone of you! But especially the new members!

So the main question is: What kind of thread are you missing? What kind of thread would you love to see here? What kind of topics would you love to talk about when you join a forum like this? What thread shall we open for you?

(Colored text just to make finding the start of this discussion more easier. :) )

21. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    One way to ensure they have a pleasant enough experience to stay active is to cease recommending LACWAC to all of them. That place is the negative zone. Even the color scheme there is morbid. It's the forum for people who hate Star Wars nearly as much as they hate other Star Wars fans. I try to get involved there, but that entire forum is like an alcohol-fueled family debate around the Thanksgiving dinner table when the pedophile uncle shows up and your sister confesses a meth addicition while grandpa is complaining about the cooking, which makes mom run out of the room in tears. It's a horrible place filled with horrible people doing horrible things. If LACWAC is the cave on Dagobah, Yoda would encourage Luke to take the gun with him.

22. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Most of the reasons for new people leaving early is because they lose interest/don't have time and forget to come back. Keeping them interested is basically the crux of keeping people here, even if they don't stay in this exact forum. Maybe add another game to compliment Teh-Mole, one that doesn't take nearly as long to complete (like C&G Quick Games)?

About a new thread, I think that the Chat thread we have here is enough to get new people integrated into the WNU forum. However, I think that we're already doing a good enough job as it is recommending forums. It's up to the new person at that point to decide if they want to take a look at the other forums or not; if they're not interested, they won't go. Thus, I think that if anything needs to be done, we should promote the Map of the Boards som more; maybe post a sticky thread explaining each forum on the site in one or two paragraphs? That way, new users can go to look up the recommended forums that posters have given them and see if they want to go there or not. That way, they would know what to expect before ever going in and trying to join the activity.

In those paragraphs, small notes can be added about what is acceptable/not acceptable in each forum. For instance, explain how each of the movie forums differs from each other, because the SWC/SW Saga forums can easily be mixed up by new users not used to how both forums operate and how they are different from the CT/PT forums.

Just a few ideas. [face_peace]

23. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Thanks for your feedback and ideas. There are some good suggestions. :)

So far there are the following:

1. Keeping suggested boards personally and not randomly.

2. Another, shorter game?

3. Updating/re-doing Map of the Boards including a short do's and don't's.

What do you think about these suggestions? I would love to hear more feedback and maybe even more suggestions.

What do you think about a new thread (see my post above)?

Old and new members are highly invited to join! Don't be shy, even if you have signed up just the other day. This board is for you - the new members. :)

24. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Depends on what that new thread would encompass. I'll try to think of some ideas for that.

25. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    How about considering a really ridiculous survey? With randomly crazy questions where people get to express their (if any) sene of humor, and we get to learn slightly more trivial things about people? The Answer/Ask/??? thread is good, but it's only one at a time, and 90% of the time covers favorite movie or book, or whatnot, which is fine. But, perhaps a 20-25 question survey covering phobias, allergies, habits, bedwetting, etc. could generate a little more personal interaction.