main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Worst Scene in History - Padme recovery from Cruiser Fall

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by RichieSm, May 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Razorback

Razorback Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 2, 2001
    Stanislavski?

Fall into one of his " method classes" some day and learn the "I want to cut my wrist" method of shoveling his teachings out of your brain. :D

Method acting is not for everyone. ;)

RB

2. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
    To me, the "cheesy", "dodgy" parts of AOTC are what make it so fun. it's not LOTR, it's not really that serious. (as you can tell by GL putting Miss Piggy up against Count Dracula)... :D

And that's what I love about it, It's all a big ROMP..!

Padme jumping and going "I'm fine", rates alongside the Obi-Wan going "Stuff Padme, she's not needed anymore." sequence and Sam Jackson going all "Jules" in the Gunship.. "PILOT! Land the damn plane!" as unintenional FUN.

Not all films have to be taken seriously...

UKS

NOTE: All quotes are ones made by my friends and I after the film, and are Homages to AOTC dialogue.

3. trinto_duaba

trinto_duaba Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 27, 2001
    Ahh, another clueless newbie. Can somebody ban him?

4. RichieSm

RichieSm Jedi Youngling

May 24, 2002
    trinto - good comment!

5. Duckman

Duckman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    I laughed the first time, but I had no problem the second. She's just coming out of a daze is all.

6. skibum

skibum Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 9, 2002
    Its her stunt double of course she's alright haven't you ever seen spaceballs. Seriously though relax its a movie.

7. DARTH_MAC

DARTH_MAC Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 23, 2001
    I don't think the scene is Natalie's fault though. She is just given the scene and goes with it. Lucas is the one who says akay now your better jump up and give orders.

8. Master-Jedi-Smith

Master-Jedi-Smith Jedi Padawan star 4

May 26, 2002
    Alright, let me get all of this straight:

1. Not the worst scene in history. (I concur)

2. Not Portman's fault because it was not even her in the scene, but a CG mock up of her. (If so, I also agree)

3. One of the funniest parts of the movie according to many of you because people laughed at this part. (Not sure about that because I didn't hear anyone laugh at any of the 6 showings I went to.)

4. This whole scene is not even acted because it is CG. (But it still needed to be directed, so does the blame fall upon GL? If so, it's his movie, and he can do what ever he likes, good or bad.)

5. If one scene ruins the whole movie for someone, they should "get a life". (Possibly, but then shouldn't we all get one too for just being on this web site?)

6. We shouldn't bash Star Wars!!! (If you calling wanting/wishing any Star Wars was just alittle bit better bashing, then I apologize for doing so. I suggest we all stop coming back to express how we feel about Star Wars, unless all we do is continuously agree upon how great, and they are great, the movies are. I just think it would get a bit boring around here.)

If I missed anything, please let me know. Myself, I have no life and will be waiting patiently for replies! :D

9. RichieSm

RichieSm Jedi Youngling

May 24, 2002
    It's not the scene I'm complaining about...it's the acting in the scene

I really don't think that this scene is CGI....I don't think you guys remember the scene...they wouldn't have CGI'd Padme for a speaking scene....why would they spend the money on it! It would be very expensive to CGI a full bodied person for a 10 second scene that isn't really important

It wasn't this one scene that bothered me...there were other times when I cringed but I overlooked the weak points because the good bits were so good....this scene however was shockingly acted.....so ridiculously fake and after 2 hrs of 'giving yourself' to the film and building upto the important climax of the movie was a kick in the teeth...everyone in London Leicester Square laughs at this scene at the sheer crapness of it...how can you defend StarWars (it's not for kids) when Lucas insults the audiences intelligence this badly

10. Ender_needs_Bean

Ender_needs_Bean Jedi Youngling star 2

May 19, 2002
    I'm telling you the wide-shot of that scene is entirely CG! I blurted out laughing because it was so jarring. They made Padme look like Andy's little sister in the "ToyStory" movies.

I honestly can't believe that nobody besides myself missed this...

11. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    Then couldn't they make the voice better? Her CG face isn't really the problem since it's hard to see from a distance, it's the voice. Just changing it a little so she really sounds like she's shaking some cobwebs from her head, and then let her bark orders. She sounds like she recovered a little too quickly.

And I've watched AOTC for the 4th time and she still needs improvement. Maybe I watch too many Audrey Hepburn movies (a great actress) because in comparison Portman looks like a lifeless doll with the charisma sucked out of her.

12. classixboy

classixboy Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    I'm with UK Sullustian (see post above). AOTC is great because it's so much *fun*. Stop taking this scene too seriously. There are enough people posting about the "awkwardness" of this scene to make a case that it is indeed awkward. But just because it's awkward doesn't necessarily mean that it's a flaw, and it certainly doesn't cause me to question the integrity of Portman's acting. Sounds like some people around here need an education in irony and camp.

13. Master-Jedi-Smith

May 26, 2002
    RichieSm

That is what I have been trying to say from the beginning. The scene is fine. Very much needed to follow the story. But as you have stated, the acting is "flawed" to put it lightly.

Ender needs beans argument that the scene is totally CG (and I for one did not notice, but I wear glasses so I can't see well to begin with :D) does not dismiss the fact that the dialogue was delivered poorly. Someone had to do that.

And as for irony and camp, why in the world would that scene call for such motifs? If that was what the scene was about, I sure didn't sense it.

As I stated before, the scene is necessary, and not the worst scene in history, but the dialogue deliver is poor. (and if you want to call it poor acting, I have no objections to that either.)

14. OverIguana

OverIguana Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2002
    I closely watched this scene yesterday, and I thought it was fine.

Not even close to the worst scene in history

15. Vaders_leash

Vaders_leash Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 29, 2001
    Yea, I don't think this was the worst scene. It isn't plausible, but I was too busy with the Anakin/Obi fight with Dooku to really care. I think Lucas was just trying to reassure the audience about Padme's condition.

I thought her reaction to Corde's death was poorly-acted.

16. Master-Jedi-Smith

May 26, 2002
    I'm just wondering, can we all agree that most, not all, of Portman's scenes were badly acted? If not badly acted, the dialogue was poorly delivered.

She was ok in some scenes, but not in others, and if she was not even in the fore mentioned scene, then she is not at fault.

17. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    Vaders_leash (great name btw) I agree completely with you on this one, either I'm not as picky as some people, or I was more worried about Anakin/Obi-Wan vs. Dooku to even look for flaws in that scene

Is it time for a fourth viewing? I'll be more on the lookout for red Imperial Guard than searching for bad CGI in a scene that lasts five seconds.

18. Master-Jedi-Smith

May 26, 2002
    Wow, I can't believe you didn't see the Imperial Guards after 3 viewings!!! I saw them, and the bad acting as well. :D Better luck the 4th time.

19. NyLonathatep

NyLonathatep Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 27, 2001
    well... I think that's probably it now! I've been frequenting these forums for almost 3 years now, waiting in agony for Aotc as I were, having no other place to go... not always being happy with it, seeing as this place is sometimes filled with some unbelievably stupid stuff, like how somebody is unpleased with not having Han Solo in the Pt or something along these lines, but recently these stupid things have arisen in numbers and are sadly taking over the forums, which I thought were for discussing the many multiplexes and twists of the saga, not contemplating who could have acted some part a tad better then the designated actor / actress, and complaining over one line uttered by someone... and now this ?
    its a scene that lasts, what? 7 seconds at most, is trivial, and doesn't really have any impact at all, ok, she rolled down a friggin sanddune, was dazed and probably suffering from a headache, then she snapped out of it and remembered her situation, a Clone trooper came to bring her back and she told him to do something I dont remember what... end. and your complaining about this scene ??? whyyy ??

20. Master-Jedi-Smith

May 26, 2002
    After nine pages, I don't understand either. The original author of the thread, RichieSm, has even admitted that the scene is not bad, but the acting.

And if you read what Ender says, it was not even really acted, but CG.

So why don't we argue about how bad Portman's acting was in the very beginning after the Naboo ship was blown up? It lasted longer than the current scene being discussed, so obviously it is more important! Or is it?

No, no. My bad, it is just another scene in a great movie, and I will be the first to reach out to all of you and beg you to stop your senseless nitpicking, and always agree about how great each scene in AtoC was/is.

I loved the whole movie. :D

21. theUnknownjedi

theUnknownjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 26, 2000
    The only thing that looks bad in that scene is her running!

22. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Actually I think it's kind of great- I usually smirk when she sits up and starts running- mostly for these reasons. Obviously she's winded and had been knocked out. She wakes up moaning, realizes she's not hurt and immediately thinks of her duty to the situation. It's practical Padme all the way.

It's great because Padme doesn't allow herself to "saved" by anyone, much less an idiotic clone. She's the total opposite of the damsel in distress.

Goes to show you Anakin would have been an idiot to go after her. Padme can take care of herself.

23. JediJim66

JediJim66 Jedi Youngling

May 27, 2002
    This scene bothered me too the first time I saw it. In addition to the poor acting, there is a flaw with Padme's dialogue to the Clone Trooper that they must hurry and get to the hanger bay. I've seen the movie a few times now and Padme falls off the ship long before a hanger bay was even seen. Either she was using her hidden Jedi abilities to locate Anakin and crew or the scene was added as an attempt to make sense of how Padme later gets to the hanger bay. My guess is that it's the latter. I don't remember this scene in the book. If I had to make a list of worst scenes in a Star Wars movie this one would definitely make my top five.

24. DarthRaptor

DarthRaptor Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2002
    This scene was all CGI?

I don't think so. I don't even care if someone "in the industry" thinks so. There's no way that was CGI. Huh-uh. Not buying it...

DR

25. Unstable_Jedi

Unstable_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2002
    Uhh you think Dooku is gonna ride his speeder bike out of the atmosphere? Obviously he's going to a hangar. This has to be the dumbest argument I've ever heard. She rolled down a hill cuz she fell from a moving transport. Moving. Inertia. 8th grade physics. She moaned cuz she was coming to. She didn't spring up, she got up. Did you expect her to be carried off on a stretcher? Her one and true love is out there man fighting a 79 year old guy with loose skin and old balls, she's gotta get there. You silly seagull.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.