main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

would anyone like to try and have a meeting?

Discussion in 'Archive: Bakersfield CA' started by jeff4sw21, May 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeff4sw21

jeff4sw21 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2005
    Let me know if there is any intrest in trying to have a meeting anytime soon. Someone needs to take over the area Rep spot and try and get this thing going otherwise we'll probably loose the club for this area. We could meet and try to have a planed trip to the San Diego Comic-Con.

jeff

2. kitchenvixen

kitchenvixen Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 12, 2005
    Don't feel bad us down in the IE are tryning to get things going as well. Soem of us are going to Comicon I hope some of you guys will make it as well.

3. Jedi_Riibu

Jedi_Riibu Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
    Hi! Good to see some neighbors visiting our boards! Comic-Con is an awesome time - You're going to love it. Be prepared to be overwhelmed. :)

4. kitchenvixen

Apr 12, 2005
    Thanks, we have been warned by the reporter doing a story on us. He even gave us a few tipe because he has been 5 times :)

5. Jedi_Riibu

Nov 14, 2001
    I think the best advice I can give is to bring your own food with you each day. Having sandwiches prepared and available in your backpack beats paying $5 for a pretzel. :)

6. kitchenvixen

Apr 12, 2005
    Good idea. And I do love a good sandwhich.

7. Jedi_Riibu

Nov 14, 2001
    Be sure to carry water with you, too.

If you plan on collecting autographs, instead of carrying around bulky items to get signed, I just carry one collective autograph book. You can find nice hardcover sketchbooks in the bargain sections at Borders and usually B&N, too. I'm very proud of the collection I've gathered in my book and IMO beats getting action figures or posters (or whatever else) signed.

8. olympic_hack

olympic_hack Jedi Youngling

Apr 27, 2005
    That is a great idea.

9. Jedi_Riibu

Nov 14, 2001
    I've been going to Comic-Con since 1998; you pick up a trick or two over the years. :)

10. jeff4sw21

May 19, 2005
    I made the mistake of buying a poster and having to carry it the whole day. The hard part is you can't roll it up right away after it's been sighned, so you have to walk around with it for awhile opened.

11. Jedi_Riibu

Nov 14, 2001
    Yeah, I stay away from posters. One year Marina Sirtis had a signing and she had free Nemesis posters that you could get, but I skipped on that because of having to carry it around and just had her sign my little autograph book. And last year they were giving away posters for Lost (the TV show, which hadn't yet aired), but I didn't want to carry around the whole thing (it was a HUGE poster) so I took one and just tore out the pic of Dom Monaghan, tucked it into my backpack and threw the rest away. :D

12. jeff4sw21

May 19, 2005
    I was going to take the stand that my lifesize Boba Fett is on. That would have been BAD!

13. Jedi_Riibu

Nov 14, 2001
    Yeah, I don't think I'd want to haul that around!

Jeremy Bulloch is in my book, too. Works for me. :)

14. jeff4sw21

May 19, 2005
    Were you in town in 1998? I was able to get Kenny Baker to come to my friends shop for sighnings.

15. Jedi_Riibu

Nov 14, 2001
    I was at the Con in '98, but I don't think I met any SW people that year.

One year Peter Mayhew was staying in the same hotel we were and we bumped into him on the elevator AND on the shuttle bus to the convention on multiple days. When I went to his booth to have him sign my book he actually recognized me from the hotel. :)

SW people in my book: Kenny Baker (2001), Jeremy Bulloch (2001), Peter Mayhew (2001), Amy Allen (2002), David Prowse (2002), Tommy Lee Edwards (2002), Kevin J. Anderson (2002), Rebecca Moesta (2002), Mark Hamill (2003), Timothy Zahn (2004)

16. jeff4sw21

May 19, 2005
    I had Kenny Baker come to Bakersfield.It was around June of '98. Aoutographs I have are Boba Fett, Chewbaca, Leia, Darth Maul,Greedo(original one),Lando, R2-D2, Rystall,and Red#6

17. Jedi_Riibu

Nov 14, 2001
    Ah, I see. I actually wasn't in Bakersfield back in '98. I did see Carrie Fisher there last year, but didn't wait in line to get her autograph. Got some blurry pictures, though. ;)

18. jeff4sw21

May 19, 2005
    I wasn't there the day Carrie Fisher was there, I was at Sea World so I had a friend get it for me.

19. Jedi_Riibu

Nov 14, 2001
    That's cool. I hadn't even known she was going to be there. We were just walking by and I was like, "Is that Carrie Fisher?" And it was!

I do also have Ewan McGregor's autograph, but I haven't actually met him. :( A friend went to the Robots premier in LA and got it for me there.

20. jeff4sw21

May 19, 2005
    I'm hoping to get David Prowse, and Mark Hamill's autograps if there there this time.

21. Jedi_Riibu

Nov 14, 2001
    Mark's been there the last couple years with his production company, and he's a huge geek. I think there's a good chance he'll be there. I do hope he's there, I'm still trying to get a picture with him. David Prowse isn't so certain, but it'd be nice! I'd be happy to get any autographs I don't have. I'm hoping some of the SW authors I like will be there, too.

22. jeff4sw21

May 19, 2005
    Yeh they wouldn't let you take flash pictures of him? What ever! Billy Dee Williams was a real nice guy, and so was Irvin Kershner.

23. Jedi_Riibu

Nov 14, 2001
    Oh! I DID see Irvin Kershner one year, but I didn't get his autograph because they wouldn't let me get it without paying. :p

It wasn't that Mark (or other people) weren't allowing pictures, he just wasn't doing any at the time. It was a booth signing and they had a lot of people to go through. I do have some horribly lit pictures from the filming of Comic Book: The Movie.

24. jeff4sw21

May 19, 2005
    Have you heard who might be there this time?

25. Jedi_Riibu

Nov 14, 2001
    Not beyond the guests currently listed on the Comic-Con website (none of which are SW-related, I think). In a couple weeks they should have a list for the autograph pavilion, which is my preferred place to get autographs. If Official Pix has a booth on the main floor (which seems likely), I'm sure they'll have a list on their site sometime soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.