main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Wraith Squadron Fan Club

Discussion in 'Literature' started by hobbie6195, Nov 19, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LianaMara

LianaMara Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 30, 2000
    Signing in. I went to Books-a-mill today, and bought Wraith Squad and SoA because my stupid 'public library' didn't have them. What a sad world! They only had Solo Command and Iron Fist. I had missed out on parts of the storyline by only reading those two.

Force be w/ ya!

Liana

2. Matara_Healbo

Matara_Healbo Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 17, 2000
    That's one thing I hate about the library systems, they usually only carry one copy of a book unless it's a hot seller. Then after about a year of people putting holds on the book they dwindle the thousands of copies down to one or two per library. That's why for me when ever a new SW book comes out I run to the store and buy it, okay not right away. I do have some self control.

3. Tyria_Sarkin

Tyria_Sarkin Jedi Master star 1

Dec 9, 2000
    I usually buy new SW books when they come out because my library doesn't even get them. They only have a few, all of which I've already read, so I usually end up buying the new ones.

4. PaysonTerrik

PaysonTerrik Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 30, 2000
    I?ve leaned my lesson about public libraries ? I?m too much of a procrastinator to ever return books on time, so they?re just not a good idea for me.

When a new SW book comes out, I actually go to the bookstore on my lunch break to buy them that day. I just can?t wait.

I?ve found that the smaller bookstores (my favorite is Waldenbooks) have less stock to worry about and will either have them out by lunchtime or will go in the back to get it for you. The mega bookstores like B&N have so much stuff, they don?t know what?s going on. It?s sad when a hardcover book comes out, and not only do they not have it out, but the sales guy says, ?You mean there?s a new SW book out?? I hate that!

5. PaysonTerrik

Oct 30, 2000
    OK, time for a little catching up - the holidays have really messed up my schedule! If anyone would like a little insight, I wanted to share my opinions on making it to 1,000 (and beyond).

About the Mara Jade Fan Club (MJFC) - that thread is over a year old, but I have no doubts that we can be just as long-living ? especially now that the Wraiths will have a future in NJO.

Most of my posting history has been in the MJFC ? as much of a bad rap as it gets from some people, it?s a pretty good place to be. I think the size and the camaraderie scares off some people, but we?re always happy when new people join us.

Actually, I think it?s the camaraderie that has kept it going so long ? half the posts are about Mara, but a lot of what goes on there is just personal stuff or off-topic SW stuff. We even talk about the Wraiths and Allston quite a bit in there, too. :-D

Anyhoo, I think some of the interesting on-topic things that we talk about have to do with favorite character traits, scenes, quotes, interactions with other characters, speculation of past and future books, casting calls (potential actresses to play Mara), related interviews, fanfic short stories, songs/other characters that remind us of Mara, etc.

I?m sure that we can keep thinking of similar interesting things to say about the Wraiths, but I?d also like it if we built up that camaraderie here ("How are you doing, what other books/authors do you like, etc."). I think that?s the key to keeping this around for the long-haul. What do you all think?

6. Matara_Healbo

Nov 17, 2000
    I like the idea Payson. I also have a question for all of the Wraith fans out there. Since we all pretty much have the same likes in characters I was wondering if you all could help me. See two of my friends and I are starting up a book club. We are meeting for the first time next month, I don't know what book we will be reading but I know my turn to chose a book will be coming up soon. That's where I need your help, I don't know what book to choose. I feel bad about this but I don't want to do Star Wars, I've read almost all of the books so I would have more insight then both of my friends and anyone else who joins in. I don't read much Sci-Fi but that's what most of my friends what to read I guess. So if any of you could help me please give me some ideas. Also our main rule is the book can't be boring. I know you will never know if a book is boring or not unless you read it but if it takes longer then the first 50 pages to really get into it I know my friends will hate it.

Thank you to all who will help.

7. Wraith_009

Wraith_009 Jedi Youngling

Jan 7, 2001
    Well the wraith books are some of the best SW books out there IMO and I'm glad they'll be in NJO.

Cheers

Wraith_009

Yub! Yub! Commander

8. PaysonTerrik

Oct 30, 2000
    Welcome, Wraith009 ? I?m sure you?ll find we all agree with you on that one! Did you choose #9 for Myn (or Shalla in SC) or is there some other reason? Just curious. . .

You know, Matara, I haven?t dabbled too much in SF/F beyond Star Wars, so I?m not the one to answer that. I just got the Hobbit/Lord of the Rings for Christmas, but I haven?t started them yet. The LotR series is 3 books, but ?The Fellowship of the Ring? (book 1) might be a good start. Besides, I consider these part of the newer classics, and with the movies starting in December, your friends might be interested in them.

Is your book club more interested in the ?literary? stuff (Tolkien, Jules Verne) or are you more into pop-fiction? Has anyone read Zahn?s ?The Icarus Hunt?? It?s another one on my list to read, but it looks like it would be pretty good. I?ve liked his work with SW, so I thought his other non-SW stuff would be pretty good, too.

9. PaysonTerrik

Oct 30, 2000
    I still have more catching up to do, but I tend to be long-winded, so I knew better than to give my various ramblings all at once. . . I'll try and save some of them for tomorrow.

OK, I never put in my two cents worth to Excalibur?s question about the Wraith?s role in the NJO.

So far, it seems like Del Rey has allowed the authors to tell their piece of the story through the eyes of one or a few people at a time. Dark Tide had a lot of Corran and the Jedi in it, Agents of Chaos had the Han Solo focus, and BP had the Solo family.

If this is a continued trend, it would seem likely that they would allow Allston to focus on the Wraiths in his books. I doubt the Wraiths will show up before then, but I think they?ll be given a big chunk of the plot for Allston's books.

So, for those of you who are students, does school start back tomorrow? Christmas vacation is never long enough! You'll have to let us know how the first day of classes went. Yub, yub!

10. Ooryl Qyrgg

Ooryl Qyrgg Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 25, 2000
    Where did the Wraiths go in the Corporate Sector?

11. PaysonTerrik

Oct 30, 2000
    Ooryl ? can?t say I?m too good with remembering details, and I don?t have the books in front of me ? does anyone else know?

Backtracking again. . .

Tyria as a Jedi. . . I think it could go either way. I guess it depends on why her Force ability was limited in the first place.

If it?s just because of mental/emotional barriers, then I think there?s a case for her to be a Jedi now. She seemed to have a lot of mental blocks that kept her from being in tune with the Force before, but she went through a lot of character development throughout the books. Besides, Tionne never really had that much Jedi power, but was useful as the Academy?s historian. I think if Tyria became a Jedi she would have chosen to use her talents with the Wraiths (like Jaina does with the Rogues).

If she just has limited access to the Force, and didn?t want to live under the Jedi code, then I can see her still drawing on it for those intuitive insights, but not being a Jedi.

OK ? need to use the rest of my lunch break for boring practical stuff, but just wanted to keep this on page one.

12. PaysonTerrik

Oct 30, 2000
    Dragging this thread back to page one,
    Boy, these x-wings way a ton!

13. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Wraith 1.5? Never even occured to me. A moot point now since I'm going to be off the forums for two weeks starting today. I'll miss you'all.

Oh and the Icarus Hunt is a very good book. Part mystery, part spy thriller. If you read many mysteries, you probably will figure out who the killer is(I did) and the ending is a bit too contrived, but on the whole a good book.

Speaking of a book club, I reccomend Jack Higgins to anyone. Not sf, but he writes excellent spy novels.

Wraith 1.5(in this thread at least) signing off. See ya 'round.

14. hobbie6195

hobbie6195 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 10, 1999
    See ya, Wraith 1.5! :)

15. Matara_Healbo

Nov 17, 2000
    Thank you for the help on some ideas on books. I have wanted to read mor Zahn books. I was thinking of a Zahn or Stackpole book for my first chance at choosing the book. I really want to choose A Hero Born but I also want my friends to read Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles by Julie Andrews Edwards. Oh their are so many books out their, hopefully we can get to at least half of them. Both of my friends are really into Sci-Fi but I also want to read some of the other books, I look into more Zahn books though. Thank you again.

16. PaysonTerrik

Oct 30, 2000
    I feel the same way! I am so overwhelmed by all the great books out there. Ironically, when I was forced to read books in school, you couldn?t pay me to read a book ?just for fun.? But now it?s like this whole new hobby and all of a sudden there are all these books out there that I?m just now finding out about. Actually, it was the EU that got my hooked into reading, and now I find myself wanting to read what some of my favorite authors have done outside of SW.

Matara - I hope you have lots of fun in your book club, and let us know which book you end up choosing!

My little brain is all tuckered out right now, so I need to go, but hopefully after this week I?ll have more time for this thread. Have a good night everyone!

17. Jedi_Master_Allya

Jedi_Master_Allya Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 17, 2000
    I LOVE THE WRAITHS!!!!!! IT'S SO NICE TO SEE SOMEONE HAVING A GOOD TIME!!!

18. Matara_Healbo

Nov 17, 2000
    I think the Wraiths will be a good moral booster during this whole Vong thing, you never know they just might get ride of them. Do the Vong even understand jokes?

Which Wraith do think most likely fits you?

Mine would have to me Falynn because her discription is very close to mine and our personalities are so much a like. I too have cronic insolence.

19. LianaMara

LianaMara Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 30, 2000
    Hum, difficult.

I don't really know which Wraith I am the most like. I think I am more like a bunch of them in one.

I have a sense of humor, which gets me in trouble a ton w/ my parents. I am constantly injuring myself in some way. I like math. My English teacher gets upset at me because I am sarcastic in her class. I always get sucked into my school's plays. I 'm not sure which one I am.

Force be w/ ya!

Liana

20. hobbie6195

hobbie6195 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 10, 1999
    Ouch...Im not even going to say what page i found this on.

To answer the question, i think i would be Wes Janson, because we have similar personalities.

21. Albion

Albion Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 18, 2000
    Does Wes Really count, though?

He's not a Rogue or a Wraith... he's really a class unto himself.

22. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Holy Force. This was on the FIFTH page!!!

Anyway . . .

23. Captain Page

Captain Page Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 22, 2000
    Signing in again... Go Wraiths!

24. Tyria_Sarkin

Tyria_Sarkin Jedi Master star 1

Dec 9, 2000
    Eeek! Page five again! We can't have that....

25. Matara_Healbo

Nov 17, 2000
    Well it was only on the second page when I saw it. I would have been posting more but being sick and helping my friend plan her wedding. She unfortunatly didn't chose a Star Wars topic. Although I am dating a guy right now that loves the Wraiths, he's a huge fan of them. He also likes my idea of the simulators and the battle thing. If Lucasfilm is looking for ideas on games why don't they come to these boards?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.