main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

X-Men: First Class (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by The2ndQuest , Dec 17, 2009.

1. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Also, I don't know about other people, but Scott never really interested me as a character with his teenage/young adult storylines. His was very similar to those of many other characters out there. Scott as he is now in the comics, the war leader is interesting though. So I don't have an issue with setting it before Wolverine.

And it would work in universe as we have seen there is a difference in the way Storm, Beast and Jean view Xavier compared to Scott and those that came after. It would fit with those three being there first while he was learning how he wants to set his vision up.

2. TheGDBatman

TheGDBatman Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 20, 2010
    This movie has fail all over it. They've got 1 year to completely make this flick, so it can be jammed into an already insanely jam packed summer. And their Fox's last x-flick sucked so horribly, no one is going to waste any money seeing this when they have; Thor, Cap, Green Lantern, Harry Potter, Cars 2, Transformers, and many many more. Okay, Transformers will suck, but it'll still make a ton of cash.

They just need to give the rights back to marvel so they can truly make a first class flick.

3. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Professor X in X-Men: "Cyclops, Storm and Jean were some of my first students"

X3 also had young Xavier getting Jean along with young Magneto. My guess would be we start pre-Wolverine and end up post Wolverine rather quickly. Scott and Jean are notorious for really being the first two. Scott in particular is significant because he was also Xavier's second in command. So you really do need him early on in the movie to make it work. Simply put, the other movies did a nice job confusing things. They changed the actual first class (can't use Iceman or Angel and it appears storm and emma replace them) and they changed actors. And it's NOT a reboot. Were it a reboot, then it would be easier. Instead, if they want to keep First Class in their current film continuity, they have a lot of hoops to jump through.

4. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    This is why I hate Ratner and the mess he made in X3.

I don't view X3 as a mess. I rather liked it a lot and found it operatic in theme. Which would account for the number of deaths in the film. On the other hand, I'm not that impressed by X1. Mind you, it was entertaining. But I found the story lacking in any real meat. And Singer seemed to have shot it as if it was a television movie with little bite.

5. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I think the problems in X3 lie in the script, not in the directing.

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
  7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  8. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Yeah, that trailer has me rather enthused for the movie.

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I've fixed the link, btw, now it actually foes to First Class's trailer, not the cap one.

10. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I do give them bonus points for using an actual Blackbird.

Still not real interested.

11. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    It's like X-Men/Call of Duty Black Ops. You got your SR-71 Blackbirds, your Cuba, your communists, your Soviets, your team of nigh unstoppable killing machines.

12. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I agree with you to an extent. I also really enjoyed X3. It was a big, fun action flick and perfectly suited to Ratner's abilities and inclinations as a director. The problem with X3 was equal parts Ratner and Fox. Ratner was a problem in that he was trying finish somebody elses trilogy and Fox was a problem because they ****ed around for so long that Singer allowed himself to be hired away by Warner Bros. to direct on Superman Returns.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    IIRC, that's not quite the scenario- Singer, being a Superman fan, was offered the chance to do SR, and Fox, unwilling to let Singer go to work on a competitor's superhero movie, pushed to make sure he wouldn't be able to do both it and X3. After he chose X3, Fox rushed ahead to make sure X3 would come out before SR.

And, thus, crap was born.

14. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    AMPAS shares the burden also. If they hadn't given a damn statue to Halle Berry we wouldn't have suffered through Storm's inflated role and melodramatic speeches (there's nothing wrong with Storm being a key player, as long as you have an actress who can do it right. They didn't).

15. Kol_Skywalker

Kol_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2006
    The CIA is no place for a woman!

16. Kol_Skywalker

Jun 9, 2006
    Loved the Wolverine cameo ... "**** Off!" :)

17. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    Pretty sure that last post should be highlighted in black...?

18. Kol_Skywalker

Jun 9, 2006
    Well, since the film has been officially released, they can't be spoilers ... no?

Anyhoo ... this is one of the first prequel movies that actually works, in that it adds to the characters of the latter films. Some great character development here.

(Also, a pretty quick, cool cameo from Rebecca Romijn!).

I haven't read the source comics, but I thought it was interesting that Charles Xavier & Raven / Mystique grew up together.

The opening scene was pretty gripping, this scene leads straight on from the opening scene of the original X-Men movie (Eric Lehnsherr) pulling at the concentration camp gates.

PS: Kevin Bacon was awesome in this movie! :)

I really hope they make more sequels, that will bridge to the original trilogy.

19. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    1st, it wasn't officially released everywhere when you posted that. 2nd, not everyone has seen it yet, so yes, there are still spoilers. [face_frustrated]
    Oh, and 3rd, you need to star out the whole word when you swear.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I've highlighted the prior spoilers but from this point on spoilers are allowed since it's officially released. Any highlighting is just a courtesy now.

And, yes, you need to star-out the whole swear word. Besides, the line was "Go **** yourself.") ;)

Overall, not as good as X2, but around X1. Way better than X3 and Wolverine, but that's almost a given ta this point. A lot of stuff in here works really good (especially the material that was no doubt the story of the abandoned "X-Men Origins: Magneto"). They get the group of teens vibe that made the first two fun- and this comes out during the training montage in particular.

There's only 3 or 4 things that don't really work 100%:

-Shaw is a little hazy as a villain- his goals and philosophy are well conveyed, but they don't do a good job telling us exactly what he can do with his powers (so the final confrontation is a bit strange since you're not sure how what he's doing relates to the abilities he's previously displayed/described).

-Banshee is a little silly to watch in flight- it's just not a visual that fully translates (maybe if they added some sonic feedback wave that better conveyed what was happening?)

-Some of the Cuba conflict kinda feels like a distraction and doesn't quite have the desired tension. Some of this is due to...

-The human characters come across more cartoony/1-dimensional than they have previously. Everyone except for Moira and the Kennedy stock footage, really. The CIA directors, the military officers and war room plotters (american and KGB) as well as the Cuban crisis ship commanders (Ironside and his Russian counterpart). Even the TV newsreel narrator.

But everything else is good- the base attack, the spy mission, etc.

There is some very wobbly continuity stuff though- some things are connected very well (Mystique), others are ignored (for example, X1 told us Magneto helped Xavier build Cerebro- but the events don't show that happening (or present it as feasible that he did so off camera) and the film's conclusion makes it so that it's extreely unlikely for it to happen between films; Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Charles standing at the end of Wolverine?.

Still, will definitely want to see a sequel- hopefully one that will have more room to breathe.

21. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    It's interesting that you say that 2nd. An interview with Michael Vaughn I read would suggest that's not necessarily the case:

You can find the whole interview HERE. So it's possible that the Magneto script had no part to play in the final film.

22. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I'll most likely wait until a DVD release.

Although the cameo mentioned interests me.

Yes, I'm still more interested in that guy.

23. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    I'm still interested in that guy as well :)

But I'd like to know this....

How does Emma Frost go from being a teenager in Wolverine to an adult decades earlier?

And are we to assume that this Alex Summers is in anyway related to Scott?

Furthermore....

Was there a Stan Lee cameo in this one? I didn't see him.

Also... there wasn't a scene at the end of the credits! I was disappointed :(

24. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    I'm thinking that this Alex Summers is probably the father of Alex and Scott Summers. I could be wrong though. :p

Evil.

25. Kol_Skywalker

Jun 9, 2006
    Ah, yes it was. There is a little country called Australia, it was released here, BEFORE I posted. Sorry if we are in the future (international date/time) that you guys in the past (America)! :)