main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

X-Men Scores

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Mastadge, Dec 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001

Unfocused seems to be a key theme to the production of this movie. :(

2. sithgoblin3

sithgoblin3 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 4, 2001
    I wish Lalo Schifrin had done the score :(

3. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    As for Powell, I was really hoping for someone like Elliot Goldenthal who has a history of taking over the third film of franchises.

Because if the X-men franchise has been missing anything, it's painfully annoying brass.

4. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    I love Goldenthal and, now that I think about it, he might actually have been a really good choice for this project.

5. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
  6. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Darth_Vader-Anakin Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 22, 2002
    Hmm, I tend to agree with most of Mr. Broxton's reviews, so while he didn't trash the score he didn't praise it either -- which also seems to be the opinion of the few people who have seen the film. I'll still pick it up though, especially since I've pretty much enjoyed the clips.

7. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    My copy's waiting for me at home, which means I won't get to listen to it for a month, but I look forward to it. If it's as busy as he says, it's probably the kind of thing I won't enjoy the first time, but once I've heard it a few times will grow on me as I decipher it.

8. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    just picked up the soundtrack today. favorite tracks are:(HTRing them for spoilers)

2) Bathroom Titles
    18) Cure Wars
    19) Fight In The Woods
    20) St. Lupus Day
    21) Building Bridges
    22) Shock And No Oars
    23) Attack On Alcatraz
    24) Massacre
    25) The Battle of The Cure
    26) Phoenix Rises
    27) The Last Stand

pretty much the last 10 tracks I thought are really good. I like the overall main theme for it to

9. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Jul 22, 2002
    Here's another review: The Last Stand

Hopefully this will be waiting for me when I get home today.

10. Well_Of_Souls

Aug 26, 2001
    I'm hopefully picking this up at Best Buy later today.

The clips are starting to sound better to me, especially after the Cinemusic review. I tend to agree with almost all their reviews.

11. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    I agree with them a lot, but I take their reviews of Brian Tyler's scores with a grain of salt -- the guy who writes them also runs Tyler's website and has an obvious bias (though it's not as apparent in his past few reviews of Tyler scores). . .

12. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Jul 22, 2002
    Well, I was able to listen to it twice last night, and I found it very enjoyable. There weren't any moments that just blew me away, but it was a solid listen. I do agree with the MMUK review in that the action cues are very busy, but I didn't find it too distracting or overbearing. I found the new themes to be quite nice and (thankfully) used frequently. There is also this short horn fanfare that I think is only used twice (Angel's Cure & The Last Stand) that for some reason really caught my ear.

Overall, I enjoyed Powell's score much more than either Kamen's or Ottman's and I can't for some more stuff from Powell.

13. Well_Of_Souls

Aug 26, 2001
    That would explain why nearly all his scores seem to get nothing lower than 3.5 stars. Tyler's good, but not that good.

Side note: Stupid Best Buy didn't have X3. :(

14. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    With Best Buy, you should ALWAYS check their website to see if they hve what you need at the store you plan to go to. Their 'deployment' of merchandise can be really weird.

15. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    The score is very Elfmanish.

16. Scoot

Scoot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2002
    I saw the film last night, and I really didn't like the soundtrack at all. I really missed Ottman's theme from X2, as bland and unoriginal as it may have been.

17. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    The trilogy ends with yet another unremarkable score. It's only been a few hours and the main theme has already left my mind. Oh well... Here's hoping that the Magneto and Wolverine prequels fare better in this regard.

18. Boba_Fett_123

Boba_Fett_123 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    I have to disagree. The main theme, short though it is, and Phoenix's theme, are both very memorable to me. The only other theme that I can instantly recall is Ottman's main theme, but that was rather bland and unremarkable. I have trouble recalling Kamen's X-Theme, but his Logan and Rogue cue (I'd hardly call it a theme) is still my favorite of the saga. Powell has definitely created the most thematic score, however. I like it, though I have yet to hear in the context of the movie.

19. batvader

batvader Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    When it comes to the "fun-factor" that a superhero score is supposed to have, like Superman, Batman(89) and Spider-Man, I think this is the best in the series (as an album), and I'm sure it fits with the (obviously) larger than life antics of the film (haven't seen it yet). Big orchestra, chorals, even a spot (as mentioned) that recalls Williams' Superman. I agree there is nothing really memorable, a theme that will stick in your mind after the CD ends, but it's the most purely fun score I got this year.

20. shwanzi

shwanzi Jedi Youngling star 3

May 25, 2002
    I picked up the CD after seeing the movie for the second time yesterday, and I have to say that I like this one a lot more than the last two scores. I liked Michael Kamen's score, but I thought that John Ottman's was extremely lame (like his F4 score), but Powell's stuff has some bite to it.

I especially like "Dark Phoenix's Tragedy", as the music added that necessary oomph! to the scene it accompanied and gave me chills both times I saw the flick. Brilliant stuff. All of the action music featuring the choir and the music surrounding the Dark Phoenix was tops as well.

21. Rogan_Agar

Rogan_Agar Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2004
    I agree. The soundtrack of the first two was very generic. Now this one is a masterpiece. It starts with the new main theme which is just awesome, then continues with Angel's theme which is even better and the highlight is defineatly "Dark Phoenix Tragedy"! It is so awesome. The scene in the movie is one of the most powerful (SPOILER WARNING) on-screen death (END OF SPOILERS) I have ever seen, and this music is just perfect for the scene.

I bought the soundtrack the day after I have seen the movie, because the Phoenix theme haunted me ;)
    I love it. Best soundtrack since ROTS for me.

22. Semi-DarkLord90

Semi-DarkLord90 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2004
    I love this soundtrack. The main theme is memorable to me. The pace of the soundtrack is just great.

Anyways, I enjoyed the movie too. Many may contest my opinion, but this is the best XMen Movie besides the being too short thing.

-Semi

23. Boba_Phat

Boba_Phat Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 29, 2000
    From listening to the score while watching the movie I found it very cliché, just like the film itself.

24. Well_Of_Souls

Aug 26, 2001
    The score is only ok as far as I'm concerned.

I haven't heard it in the film but on CD it has little focus, one good theme and a bunch of mediocre ones, and a very boring section of music early on.

Color me disappointed. And I usually love Powell's work.

25. Well_Of_Souls

Aug 26, 2001
    Well, after seeing the film I can say that I definitely like the score more as a result. I'm just really disappointed that the film version of the Main Title didn't end up on the album. It's vastly better than the CD version.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.