main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"X-Wing: Starfighters of Adumar," by Aaron Allston [Bantam, 1999]

Discussion in 'Archive: Literature Review Forum' started by Gandalf the Grey, Feb 6, 2003.

?

“Starfighters of Adumar,” by Aaron Allston [Bantam, 1999]

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
  1. 10 (Excellent)

73.2%
  2. 9

14.3%
  3. 8

3.6%
  4. 7

5.4%
  5. 6 (Average)

1.8%
  6. 5 (Average)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1 (Poor)

1.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
  2. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    [image=http://www.theforce.net/books/images/starfighters.gif]

Summary:
    The X-wing fighter pilots have earned their reputation as the Rebel Alliance's ultimate strike force by overwhelming enemies with their rapid-fire assaults. But now they are about to embark on a diplomatic mission that will prove to be even more hazardous than all-out combat....

The neutral world of Adumar has decided to pick a side in the war to control the galaxy. Delegates from both the New Republic and the Empire have been invited to Adumar, and each camp will be given a chance to plead its government's case. But there is one small catch: since the Adumari prize military skill above all else, they insist that both delegations be composed exclusively of fighter pilots. For pilot Wedge Antilles and his company, it's an unfamiliar exercise in diplomacy--and one that's filled with unexpected peril. For once they arrive, the X-wing pilots are challenged by Adumar's fierce warriors and attacked by Imperial assassins bent on eliminating all competition. But these challenges pale in comparison to the threat posed by a rogue Republic agent...one who is determined to win Adumar's allegiance once and for all--even if it costs the X-wing pilots their lives.

3. SirLancelot

SirLancelot Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2002
    one of my personal favorite books. And pry the second best in the X-Wing Series.

Many would pry agree that it is the most humorus of the X-Wing books by far, possibly one of the funniest Star Wars novels period. Allston does a good job of making the book exciting, funny, and even serious at times.

Best moment: Wedge, Hobbie, Wes, and Tycho sneeking around in womens clothing.

all in all i give it an 8.

4. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    As of now, the best novel. I loved every minute of it. The jokes were spot on, but it never felt like a farcical novel. 10 :D

5. dark_jedi666

dark_jedi666 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    Starfighters of Adumar is one of my favorite Star Wars novels ever. It is actually in my top 3. I found the book to be very good, with a lot of humor, but also a good story to back it up.

It is another of Allston's best work. If you are a fan of Wedge this book is definitely for you.

6. Fire_Light

Fire_Light Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2002
    One of my favorite EU novels as well. Anyone looking for a (very)humorous look at the Expanded Universe should check it out. 10 out of 10.

7. Jedi_Solusar

Jedi_Solusar Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 1, 2003
    One of the best novels, period.
    The fab four are terrific.
    Wedge, Tycho, Wes and Tycho.
    Truly the best pilots in the star wars Universe.

8. Jedi_Solusar

Jedi_Solusar Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 1, 2003
    Dammit repeated tycho. and forgot Hobbie the best rogue.

9. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    10-funniest ever. AND it has Wedge's and Iella's first kiss-I hope I'm not the only one who got a little misty-eyed.

Plus, we get to see Hobbie in a NOVEL for the first time (in a major role, rather than just here or there). I love Hobbie. And Tycho and Wedge and Wes, of course!

"Sithspit! What's that?"
    "That's the sun Wedge."
    "Well turn it off, it offends me."

Wes beating the crap out of that jerk who wanted to kill Cheriss, etc. Heh.

And Tomer Darpen so reminded me of Oliver North, for some reason.

10. Kyp_

Kyp_ Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 17, 2002
    Eighteen votes in, averaging at 9.72.

11. JADES_FIRE

JADES_FIRE Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2001

Best one liners out of all SW books. :D (9)

12. Coota

Coota Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 2, 2002
    The second best Star Wars EU novel, if you count Brian Daley's Han Solo Adventures as one book. I really love the pilots in this, as they remind me a lot of the pilots I grew up with. I was also very happy about no Corran Horn ;)

13. Asyr Handor

Asyr Handor Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 11, 1999
    Rogue pilots, hysterics, Wedge and Iella, really do we need anything more? One of the best X-Wing books (which is saying quite a bit because the series is fabulous). I havn't laughed so hard since Baron Fel fought Lieut. Keetch..... ;)

14. ReconSEAL

ReconSEAL Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 3, 2003
    i liked it.

it had a plot, comedy, and action.

15. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    10. Love it love it love it.

16. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    In my opinion this is the best book in the X-Wing series. Aaron Allston seems to depict the characters perfectly. It is Allston that made Wes Janson the man. :)

J_J

EDIT: Spelling. :(

17. Kyp_side_of_TheForce

Kyp_side_of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2002
    10 Not my favorite X-wing book, but my favorite Allston book, by far. There was almost enough humor in this book to kill me... almost. [face_love]

18. Jedi_Horn_888

Jedi_Horn_888 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 4, 2002
    This is the one of my personal favourites in the EU. I agree that it has some of the best one-liners in the GFFA.

19. Lank_Pavail

Lank_Pavail Jedi Knight star 7

Sep 26, 2002
    a perfect 10. We see Wedge and Co. kicking butt, taking names, and getting into wonderfully executed predicaments, with the humor, tension, and excitment all buidling to a fever pitch under the able hand of Allston. All reasons why this is my favorite EU book. :cool:

20. neeldawg66

neeldawg66 Jedi Master star 8

Mar 21, 2002

Funny, great one-liners. Needed just a little more of plot though.

21. Luke_Skywalker_12

Luke_Skywalker_12 Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 11, 2002
    I just finished reading that book like a week ago. I had fun. I usually don't like reading SW books [only like seing the movies] but this book was the bomb! I'll give it a 10! :cool:

22. A-WingsRule

A-WingsRule Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    A great book. Full of humour, action, and some brilliant set peice moments. A great change of pace from the rest of the series, and it has a cracking end to the X-wing legacy.

Perfect it was

Just like this book

23. --Corran_Horn--

--Corran_Horn-- Jedi Youngling star 3

May 31, 2002
    9/10. Full of laughs, it's by far the funnest SW novel to read. It focused on only a few characters from the early x-wing novels, which was the one part that I didn't particularily like.

24. I-poodoo

I-poodoo Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2001
    One of the handful of books I can reread again and again without it loosing any of its luster.

Wedge, Wes, Tycho, and Hobbie's interaction evoke the spirit of the Three Musketeers and the best of buddy movies like Lethal Weapon and Bad Boys combined with rock and roll action and gut-busting one liners that make this book a load of fun for any SW fan.

25. Fab4

Fab4 Jedi Youngling

Jun 30, 2003
    One of the best SW books ever. Definately the most humorous one. I´ve read it about 10 times now and all I can say is I love it. You just can´t beat Wedge, Tycho, Wes and Hobbie together in one book.
    Nothing else than a 10, although it could have been longer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.