main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Xanatos Underground Lair: Discussion Thread -New topic 4/26!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by fallen_one, Aug 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neon Star

Neon Star Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2000
    And you are clearly within your rights to state so, Alley_Skywalker. Everyone has their own opinions on Obi-wan, Anakin, and expecially on Xan. :)

Though, who let the Golden and Chosen ones in here? Isn't this our dear raven haired, sex god's place? ;) [face_batting]

And you know, o_e, I completly forgot Watson didn't create Xan. (I know, its horrible of me!) Maybe that's why Granta is having problems catching on like Xan did, he has an even more screwed up base then Xan did. Xan at least started with some substance.

And to get back on topic. I agree with Indra, and want to add to it with that I think Xan is a lot like his Greek counter part. Thanatos is hated by both gods and men, men for obvious reasons, and gods because he is prideful and near impossible to control. Xan doesn't like to be controled, he wants to be top not bottom in affairs, and hates being told what to do. I think that was the main fault he had in the Order, he was high spirited and they kept trying to chain him down with their rules and thoughts. So he left, to go found his own organization where he could order others and live his own life the way he wanted it.

Oh, and to all who celebrate it, Happy Thanksgiving. :)

2. Alley_Skywalker

Alley_Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 27, 2005
    :eek: How dare the Jedi suppress Xani like that! Bad Jedi! lol

Though, who let the Golden and Chosen ones in here? Isn't this our dear raven haired, sex god's place?

Ehh...yes I appoligize for my rant earlier. This really isn't the place to start an Ani/Obi fans war.
    BUt don't kick me out! I'm still a Xan fan all the way =P~

Oh yes and happy Turkey Day to all!

3. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    Indeed it is. :* Although anyone who knows anything about me, knows I can't seem to separate our raven haired God and the Golden one. [face_batting]

I agree with you on Xan also, Neon. Red is writing a Xan story elsewhere that is simply amazing. I can see him becoming exactly what he is in her story. As for Granta, I love your version but can't stomach the book version. He wasn't even very interesting.

And Ally beware! I adore all three, but Obi will always be number one for me. ;)

4. SakuraTsukikage

SakuraTsukikage Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2005
    And Ani will always be number one for me, with Obi a very close runner up. But Xan's definitely up there.

Of course, it's hard to separate Star Wars characters. They don't live in a vacuum, after all, and every character has connections to every other character.

I have to also agree that the reason Xanatos has caught on more than Granta is that he had a more substantial base.

And I have to agree on the reasons Xan left the Jedi. I see his big problem with the Jedi being his willfulness. Xanatos was talented and he knew it, and he was naturally independent. I seriously doubt Qui-Gon helped him moderate that independence, either, probably just encouraged it. He was headstrong and willful, and he had never been forced to control that.

5. Alley_Skywalker

Sep 27, 2005
    Yup! Ani's number one![face_dancing] Xab's number three! (With Qui in second.)

But yes I agree that Qui-Gon probably didn't try to supress Xani's natural independance since he was the same himself in a way. I don't think he thought that that would lead to such a disaster.

6. Neon Star

Mar 30, 2000
    Heh, well, Xan is number one for me. Has been since he sashayed his way in two or so years ago. ;)

And I agree as well, Qui-gon didn't try, both because he identified with Xan, and he loved him too much. That left him blind to a lot of Xan's faults. Though, even if Qui-gon didn't coddle him, and even if Xan had been taught by say... Yoda, I think he would still have walked away. He just can't conform to the Jedi way, it doesn't seem to be in his nature.

However, there are wonderful AUs out there that state otherwise.

7. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002

Interesting. I wonder if another Master could have kept a tighter reign on Xan. Been able to reach him where Jinn couldn't? [face_thinking]

8. SakuraTsukikage

Oct 24, 2005
    It would have to be a balance, I think. Too tight a rein and Xan would have walked away anyway because he wouldn't even have a reason to try.

9. Alley_Skywalker

Sep 27, 2005
    Yea that's what I'm thinking.. It's like daming up a fast flowing river. When ghe dam breaks...well just say there would be one more sexy Sith Lord around.

10. Neon Star

Mar 30, 2000
    That's very true. It would have taken the right mix of affection and discipline to control and work with Xan.

Heh, that's also true. Though, I don't think a Sith Lord would be the correct outcome. Trading the Jedi for the Sith is just a change of shackles, which Xan probably wouldn't have wanted, especially after being burned by the Jedi. Or so I think.

11. SakuraTsukikage

Oct 24, 2005
    Yes, he strikes me as being ferociously independent, especially after the Telos incident. Xanatos wants to do things the Xanatos way, thank you very much.

As for the right mix of affection and discipline--exactly. Qui-Gon was too soft. Mace Windu, say, would have been far too hard.

12. Alley_Skywalker

Sep 27, 2005
    Mace would have been too hard for anyone ecept Obi-Wan maybe.

13. SakuraTsukikage

Oct 24, 2005
    Even for Obi-Wan. Our Obi was insecure and uncertain as a Padawan. We'd be seeing a very damanged man today if he'd had Mace for a master, in my opinion. I'm not sure how much emotion Mace can dredge up to understand those of others. He's so--stoic.

But this is not the Obi thread, this is the Xan thread. Xan and Mace would just have clashed, head on, all the time, from the beginning, and Xan would probably have left the Order even earlier.

14. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    Not sure I entirely agree. Yes Mace was stoic and severe, especially after Geonosis, but he was capable of affection. He clearly loved Deppa a lot and her fall devastated him. In some ways he might have understood Xan better than the others. For one thing his fighting form relied heavily on brushing the Darker side. Vapaad more or less requires one to use strong emotions like anger. Maybe he could have trained Xan in a more unconvential manner that Xan could have lived with.

15. Alley_Skywalker

Sep 27, 2005
    Yea and I wouildn't blame him ether!

16. SakuraTsukikage

Oct 24, 2005
    Okay, I admit it. I am not clear-headed and unbiased when it comes to Mace.

Something about him and the way he treats Anakin just--

Grrrrrrrr. :mad:

But that doesn't mean I can't admit when someone else is right on about him. You're right.

And he probably would have trained Obi well. Maybe even better than Qui, now that I think about it and try not to let my Mace-hatred get in the way.

I just don't like him.

17. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    I don't either! :p And then I read Shatterpoint. He still isn't may favorite person but I understand him a bit better.

18. SakuraTsukikage

Oct 24, 2005
    See, that's my problem. I've read a lot about it but I haven't read it yet.

By the way--what do you guys think Xan was like as a child? I'm writing a fic dealing with this at the moment, and I just wanted to see what my fellow Xan-lovers thought.

19. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    Well he grew up wealthy so I've always imagined he was always very confident and sure of his place in the world. Spoiled to a point by Jinn. I hate to admit it but I think even when he was younger he probably knew how to manipulate people and situations. I don't like to see him portrayed as totally evil even as child. There had to be good in him for Jinn to be so adoring of him. I see him as being very complex even as a kid.

20. Alley_Skywalker

Sep 27, 2005
    Ha I hate Mace too!:D

Hmm that's an interesting question though. I think he might have been a bit spoiled since he was so use to getting his way. I don't think he would be manipulating people or anything really evil. I just think that he was a rather sweet kid...just kinda spoiled...and then that morphed into something more...sinister.

Ok guys this uestion has been bothering me lately. As far as I know Xan was taken into the Order at the ge of nine (like Anakin) right? So the thing that kinda confuses me is why did the council agree to Xan's training if they didn't agree to Anakin's. it just seems awkward. Doe anyone know how all that happined?

21. SakuraTsukikage

Oct 24, 2005
    I didn't remember him being that old, but I haven't reread Jedi Apprentice in a while due to the books being at home while I am at college. It is possible, however, that since Xan turned out--less than optimally--the Jedi started to look at all late trainees as questionable and dangerous.

22. Neon Star

Mar 30, 2000
    That's a first that I've ever heard of Xan being that old when he entered the Temple. From what I remember, I think it states somewhere that he was older then normal children were who entered into the Temple, old enough to retain some memories from his very young years. Most writers usually take that as him coming to the Temple between three and five years of age. Though, nothing offically states how old he was. :)

And I agree, I think Xan was manipulative as a child, just like most children are, when they want something, or try to get out of trouble. He certainly wasn't evil, selfish at times, but really just a normal, slightly more intelligent then he should be, child.

23. SakuraTsukikage

Oct 24, 2005
    He strikes me as the type of child who was very naturally empathetic, could instantly sense what any given person wanted to see and who was very good at reflecting that picture. Not out of any maliciousness or evil nature, just because he wanted to please and wanted to be able to do his own thing. So, yes, manipulative, but not out of any huge character flaws except fierce independence and a very strong will. More intelligent than he should be--exactly. Especially for his own peace of mind within the Jedi Order.

24. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    I think the age nine factor is fanfic created.

25. Neon Star

Mar 30, 2000
    Well, back on the idea of another Master for Xan, since Qui was seemingly too soft, who else might have been a good Master? As much as I have a love/hate relationship with Yoda, I think he might have been a fairly good Master, the right amount of strength to keep Xan in place, yet, enough wisdom to let him move when he truely needs to. Of course, Yoda was always distrustful of Xan, so in the end, this might not have been a good pair.

And, just maybe Xan was really not fit to be a Jedi, as he said himself, no matter who trained him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.