main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

XenForo Board Ideas and Suggestions

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Circular Logic, Oct 31, 2013.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Incidentally, the compatibility view "fix" for IE11 issues is less than ideal -- it allows for the WYSIWYG posting to work properly and avoids the scrolling issue, but it causes layout problems, including obscuring of the menu bar up top by other layout elements.

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    One suggestion I'd like to make is that can we change the main banner on the main forum page? Is that possible?

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Thanks Grimby. I checked and edit is back to normal for me.

4. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    So, will there be another solution for the edit problem? One that then doesn't cause layout problems?

5. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    An option for deleting statuses might be a good thing to add :p

6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    The Hellhammer - we have the function turned off for regular users. However, if you PM one of the managers or admins with the request, which post(s) to delete, and a reason for deletion we can take care of it for you. .

7. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    May I ask why the ability to delete your own status is turned off for regular users? I'm sure there's a reason for it being that way, but I'm not seeing it right now.

8. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Just general preemptive prevention of abuse - same reason we don't allow users to delete their posts, really.

9. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    OK, thanks.

10. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    Is this place capable of having an arcade?

11. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    It doesn't have any sort of gaming/arcade functionality built into it, no. Did you have something specific in mind?

12. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Maybe he's thinking of using a built-in arcade to exchange extraneous trophy points for prizes? I know a lot of folks here don't appear too excited about the idea of trophy points in general, so perhaps having an arcade can appease them? Or at least make it more "fun". :p

As to ideas for prizes, I have no idea. Give up 5-10 points for temporary colors? Give up 20 points for the ability to choose your own title for a brief period of time? [face_dunno]:p

[​IMG]

13. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    I noticed long ago that some forums have little arcades attached to them so that the forum users can challenge each other at checkers, hexagon, chess, mahjong or even Mario. You can start tournaments or just play people individually to get to the top of the leader board. Seemed like something worth investigating as a fun thing to do.

Plus what Circular Logic said. I don't give a crap about whatever these trophy points are that I randomly get. But maybe the arcade could be worked into that.

14. Circular Logic

Mar 3, 2013
    As I'm a bit of a technophile, I've been looking through the official XenForo board's New Features sub-forum to check out the kind of updates we should be able to expect once the current board software is upgraded. Mods/admins, are you guys planning on upgrading the boards directly to XenForo 1.2? Out of curiosity, does this board currently run version 1.1.4 or somesuch?

I've looked through some of the threads for updates that might interest normal users, and I've highlighted them below:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/a-new-editor-and-much-much-more.50519/
    XF 1.2 has an interesting new Editor design. Of particular note are:
    I pointed out in this thread's OP that the current "Members" page can be improved and updated upon board move. Apparently, there is even greater reason to update this page:
    Highlighted emphasis mine.

I've noticed that when viewing the boards on a smaller screen, i.e. a smartphone and perhaps a tablet, that scrolling through threads with a lot of quotes could be quite annoying. XF 1.2's new "Responsive Design" seems to address this issue: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/responsive-design.50888/

On a similar note, apparently version 1.2 also allows compression of quoted posts to a certain height, so that should solve some scrolling issues with nested quotes (in fact, I'm not sure but it might be the case that you can only quote the last post instead of multi-quoting now) and long posts:
    Finally, I want to point out to the admins, especially Grimby and LAJ_FETT, that updating the boards to XF version 1.2 (or 1.1.5) should resolve the Firefox "Edit" issue completely.

I realize that the MS is probably rather busy right now with the Senate issue and whatnot, but just out of curiosity, is there a timetable for the board software update to take effect?

15. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    We're currently on version 1.1.3. I know Grimby has plans to upgrade to the new release. However, I haven't seen a timetable. He'd probably be working with Grahame (Philip Wise's server person) to do this. I know Grimby has been busy with work-related issues lately so I doubt we'd see an upgrade until after the holidays at this point.

16. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    This would be super useful. I can't be the only one typing a response to someone and then seeing 2 other people have responded in the interrim before I hit reply, either saying something remarkably similar or changing the subject so whatever I post looks like I'm being rude and ignoring them.

17. Circular Logic

Mar 3, 2013
    Thanks for the info LAJ!

Indeed. However, currently there is a way to avoid doing this, if you simply refresh the page just before posting (as that post helpfully mentioned). This is especially useful for threads where a lot of users are reading and posting in. If you fear losing what you've just written, simply copy the post before refreshing. In any case, even if you don't do that, that's what the "Edit" button is for... You can always edit in a response to someone else's post that just popped up after you hit "Post Reply".

Speaking of which, I recently mentioned in the "Post technical questions" thread that one doesn't get a notification when someone edits in a reply to one's post in an earlier post. In all future XF versions, one won't get any alerts for edited-in quotes because, as Ramza mentioned, if every single edit (or even quote edit) resulted in a response, that could promote spamming of alerts against the user one is responding to; that could get annoying quickly.

eht13 likes this.