main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indi, IN #*&$# Yeah!!! LFL asks Indy Convention Center to hold Celebration 3 dates open...

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Sebulba-X, May 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    Noting set in stone, but... http://www.indystar.com/article.php?digest13.html

DOWNTOWN DIGEST: DANA KNIGHT

Lucasfilm may team up with city again

May 13, 2002

It could be a convention sequel.

Organizers behind the scenes of the largest officially sanctioned "Star Wars" fan gathering in the world -- held in Downtown Indianapolis two weekends ago -- are considering a repeat in 2005.

That's the year George Lucas' "Star Wars: Episode III" (full title not determined) is due to be released on May 25.

"They're looking to come back. They've already asked us to keep those dates open," said Robert Bedell, president and chief executive officer of the Indianapolis Convention & Visitors Association.

"Star Wars" Celebration II, which wrapped up May 5, celebrated the 25th anniversary of the original "Star Wars" movie and this week's release of "Star Wars: Episode II -- Attack of the Clones."

Indianapolis got the nod as the Celebration II site because of its central location, large convention center and thriving Downtown area, according to Lucasfilm Ltd. officials who organized the event.

When something is a success, why not go for a repeat?

2. Shara

Shara Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 4, 2000
    Woot! Mary had told me they were looking at 2005 while they were here, but it's cool that it actually made the news paper. :D

I wonder if we could petition to get Indy renamed as the Star Wars capital of the world ;)

3. djtom

djtom Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 18, 2001
    SWEET!

DUDE!! hehehe

This is amazing news. 2 out of 3 wouldn't be bad!!

4. sidra

sidra Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 8, 2002
    OH MY GOD!! We are the coolest!!

5. Sebulba-X

Mar 11, 2000
    "OH MY GOD!! We are the coolest!!" --> Thanks for stating the obvious. ;)

I believe the first thing I told Jedimama when she invited me to come to my first IK meeting (just after the C2 news broke unofficially) was that our goal as a group was to make C2 so fantastic that it impossible for Celebration 3 to be held in any other city....everything is proceeding as I have forseen.

Now I need to get to work on how I can become the exclusive printer of C3. [face_devil] Better call Mexico...we can't have all the bars running out of Coronas again...need to start stockpiling. [face_laugh]

6. Shara

Dec 4, 2000
    And we've seen what Celebration II has done for our membership as well. We have three years, holy pocket of dead rats, Sebulba-X, we're gonna be huge!

7. SithLord0770

SithLord0770 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 28, 2001
    I am so there. Let me know when tickets go on sale.
    I had a feeling that we (Indianapolis) would hold CELEBRATION III in 2005.

8. OriginalBryGuy

OriginalBryGuy Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2002
    Yea, can you believe it's rained nonstop for 3 weeks except the Star Wars Convention!

Wow. What great news indeed. Cari - if you ever need another webmaster on the team just let me know *wink*

9. Sebulba-X

Mar 11, 2000
    Tickets are going on sale tomorrow...please make your check or money order out to "S-E-B-U-L-B-A *dash* X"....presale 4-day passes (it's going to be a longer weekend ;) ) are at the low low price of $250. With you presale purchase you'll get an exclusive Celebration 3 figure of F. Grimm Mullac'cm: TIE Pilot Disguise...if you're over 18, then you may also get the exclusive comm chip as well.

10. Incom4

Incom4 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 4, 2001
    Was there a doubt?

;)

11. Qui-John

Qui-John Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 8, 1999
    "Was there a doubt?"

Yes - to Ron you listen! :D And this time around, there are three years of planning to work with. Just allow yourself to imagine the possibilities...

Go on. Try it just a little. The potential is near limitless... especially with the group of people we've got around here... ;)

12. Sebulba-X

Mar 11, 2000
    One thing, and one thing alone....set up a main stage in the Dome itself for Opening Ceremonies and any and all actor related panels. That's what everyone will want to see and it should be made availble to everyone.

13. Shara

Dec 4, 2000
    word.....
    Actually someone suggested to me to just go ahead and have the opening ceremonies in there.

*coughewanmcgregorautographsinthedomecough*

14. DroidboyB9

DroidboyB9 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 16, 2002
    Ok, we had better ask for a double fan table, because I plan on having a total of 5 R2's built by then, and God only knows what else. I have already added a Salacious Crumb to my collection since C2.Maybe George and I will actually get that Y-Wing done we keep yammering about.

Gregg

15. sidra

sidra Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 8, 2002
    We'll probably need our own fan ROOM by then. :D

16. SnappyGalbladder

SnappyGalbladder Jedi Youngling

May 6, 2002
    droidboyb9: Well have our OWN R2 room. Speaking of "Rooms" George said if CIII was in Indy he'd rent a suite at the Marriot or Hyatt and have an IndyKnights party. You might want to reserve that room NOW to beat the rush. ;)

17. Shara

Dec 4, 2000
    Droidboy, I challenge you to make a remort control R2 by C3. Those things are so cool!

But...although we're pretty confident C3 is going to be here, don't you think we're getting a wee bit ahead of ourselves? ;)

18. Sebulba-X

Mar 11, 2000
    If what Skyla told me is true, then no, we're not getting ahead of ourselves at all.

Still working on the Corona stock pile...my spanish isn't as good as it used to be (not that it was ever great to begin with).

¡Ayudemé! ¡Ayudemé! ¡Más cervázas pór fávor!

19. Shara

Dec 4, 2000
    Ok just checking ;)
    I'll start working on the limes! [face_devil]

20. yodafett_77

yodafett_77 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 25, 2001
    maybe, among all the other things that we are going to rock at for C3, our fan movie will win the award, too...!

21. Qui-John

Qui-John Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 8, 1999
    About the Hoosier Dome thing.... my wife and I were talking about the exact same thing. This, of course, was immediately after we got shut out of the Opening Ceremonies by, like, 100 people. Very frustrating, but what're you gonna do? ;)

Anyway, the more we thought about it, the more we thought that getting the Hoosier Dome (call me old-fashioned) ;) for the opening ceremonies, which could easily be expanded, was a great idea. Think about it: everyone that went to CII could fit inside, all of 'em - all at once! - at the Opening Ceremony to the last Celebration for the last Star Wars movie ever. There'd be more screaming SW fans than you can imagine...

[Han Solo]"I dunno, kid... I can imagine quite a bit!"[/Han Solo] :D

WOTC wouldn't need to rent out the Dome for the duration, and seeing how the turnout was a few weeks ago, I don't think generating both enough interest and enough revenue would be a problem, ;)

And this is just the tip of the iceberg...

22. daisyahchoo

daisyahchoo Jedi Youngling

May 7, 2002
    Oh yay! I'm so pleased that they may be coming back here! Well, I guess that means I should stay in-state for college, so that I won't have to spend on airfare to get back home for CIII. :)

23. padawan_schlicher

padawan_schlicher Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    With a little experience under their belt, maybe C3 will be even better than C2. I'm sure with the Indyknights and 501st help it will be. Will wizards listen to your all's suggestions?

That's awesome that it's gonna be back in my home town. Free lodging again for me at my parents house!

More experience=better organization=shorter lines...we can dream can't we!

24. Silmarillion

Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 1999
    It would be great if they ran it sort of like a music festival (e.g. The Big Day Out over here).

Basically, you've got your main stage that everyone goes to at one point in the day, but most of the people stay there all day because they put the big names up there. So, put all of the big drawcards in the dome. Don't make people go out and line up again at the end of each session, but let people stay there the whole time if needs be.

The people that want to see the smaller demonstrations and wander around can, but leaving the dome open to the most popular attractions would siphon off maybe 5,000+ people from the general convention area. It'd make it a lot easier to get around.

25. padawan_schlicher

padawan_schlicher Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    I was thinking the same thing about using the dome for the big stuff. Conseco is just a couple of blocks away as well. Victory field accross the street if it's not raining is always an option too. We didn't even use the full capacity of the convention center. So many other exhibits could be added. Why not bring Magic Behind the Myth to the convention center for the weekend? How about 2 store locations, 2 different vender areas with more eisleways!

Possibilities are endless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.