main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion You Know You're a Fan Fiction Writer When...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Dev_Binks, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Darth_Solent

Darth_Solent Jedi Master star 1

Jun 25, 2002
    Opps, I really didn't mean to post, but pushed Enter accidentally!

Okay, okay, since I did anyway, I suppose I could give some examples...

You know you're a Fan fiction writer when...

You ask your brother (a firefighter/paramedic), your sister (a nurse), and your mother (a doctor) for information to make sure your twist will work.

You read posts in your dreams from stories you're keeping up, only to get online the next day and learn that it's not updated yet, or that it didn't go the way you dreamt it did.

Which is it? A post or a chapter?

When you accidentally stabbed your hand resulting in black blood, your first thought is, ?How can I describe this?? (guilty)

Someone you know gets an injury (like a broken arm or something) and they?re endlessly complaining about how much it hurts, but you?re reminded of all the Obi-torture fics you read, and how Obi (though stabbed/shot/burned/poisoned/whatever you can think of) kept his mouth shut and survived.

((Solent))

2. TheBothanJedi

TheBothanJedi Jedi Master star 2

May 16, 2004
    You Know You're a Fan Fiction Writer When...

... You feel guilty that you have been way to frichen busy with work and other important real world stuff to work on your current fic-in-progress.

Guilty as charged... :p

gracesonnet likes this.
  3. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    When you feel like a deer caught in headlights when someone (who has never heard of fanfic and thinks SW is kids' stuff) asks what you do all day at home, and you have to quick think up some plausible fabrication.

Guilty as charged :p Though most of the time I say uh.. "reading -- writing, checking e-mail and doing chores around the house..." " :p

4. JediLeeora

JediLeeora Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 22, 2004
    When your english teacher starts quoting star wars in class thinking it will get the students motivated and the only reason she started doing that was because your last paper was a fanfic you wrote... [face_blush]
    Sad but true... :)

5. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    ...when your entire martial arts classes starts referring to the movements as "the Darth Maul cut" and the "Mace Windu" block, instead of by their proper names... [face_blush]

6. Dev_Binks

Dev_Binks Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 7, 2003
    ... when you have to baby-sit two little girls and you watch them just to get children characterizations right. :p

7. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Renata, I love that. I don't do martial arts but when I see it in the theaters I keep thinking "Ohhhh, go Maul."

8. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    When somebody asks you what your hobbies are, they either get a 15-minute answer about what fan fiction is, why anyone would write it, what yours is about, and why you can't just "send it to the company and have them publish it," or else you just say: "Computers. I like being on the computer."

You write movie-canon fic and you find yourself writing paragraphs in which you have to untangle three different "he's," since pretty much every freaking character besides Padmé and Leia is male.

You know all the ALT + number combinations for various multinational ASCII characters just because you write so many alien names. (And then, as Padmé, Cordé, and Cliché approached Bçèfgï©hîÞ¿f½² . . .")

9. Arldetta

Arldetta Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    I don't know if this has been said yet, haven't made it all the way through. [face_blush] But I wanted to get them out before I forgot them again. Anyway....

.... you see series/season finales end with cliffhangers and you say, "That's it? I've written/read worse on the boards!!"

.... you've done more research for a story in two months than you did in your entire school career, including college!

.... you rush home from work or school just to read the reactions to your latest cliffie!! [face_devil] (This happens to be my personal fav. :p )

Of course I'm also terribly guilty of many others posted here, such as watching a movie or having something happen in real life that you try and incorporate in a fic. Oh I know there are more but I think that's enough for now. ;)

10. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    The one about the show "The OC" made me laugh because I thought the same thing when I first heard about it. I was like, "The OC? Whose? Which one?" Then I found out it was supposed to be about Orange County and laughed because no one, especially no one who lives there, calls it "The OC" :p

Ophelia:
    When somebody asks you what your hobbies are, they either get a 15-minute answer about what fan fiction is, why anyone would write it, what yours is about, and why you can't just "send it to the company and have them publish it," or else you just say: "Computers. I like being on the computer."

I just usually kind of give a vague "I write a lot" since I still haven't managed to explain Fan Fic to my family despite them all having read some of mine.

You write movie-canon fic and you find yourself writing paragraphs in which you have to untangle three different "he's," since pretty much every freaking character besides Padmé and Leia is male.

And Mon Mothma :p But truly, I know just what you mean. This happens to me a lot. You write a story about Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, and Anakin and you end up with euphamisms like "the Jedi Master", "the young Jedi", and "the boy" just because you're sick of getting your "he"s confused.

Cliché

Best. Handmaiden. Ever.

Here are some more I came up with:

* You take up fencing to write better lightsabre duels (and because it's fun to pretend you're a Jedi [face_whistling])

* Your best friend/beta/muse (Terr_Mys ;)) sends you a cardboard cutout of AOTC Obi-Wan for your birthday.

* You talk to said cardboard cutout and the one of Han he's standing next to for story inspiration.

* You actually believe you can hear said cardboard cutouts talking back to you and thank them for their story inspiration.

* When you find out someone you know in RL is a fanficcer and has read some of the same fics you have, you completely flip out (seriously weird/cool)

* While watching the movies, you start thinking missing moments you've written/read are actual scenes and become disappointed when they're not in there :(

* You made a random Geonosis Jedi into an OC and now said character is one of your favourites in the movies.

* Random JCers who don't even read your crazy Obi-Wan-centric fics start telling you out of the blue that you remind them of Obi-Wan. This is the highlight of your day.

-sj loves kevin spacey

11. JediLeeora

JediLeeora Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 22, 2004
    you create fake lightsabers out of paper towel roles glued together to choreograph a fight scene. And force your brother to use one to try and attack you...

12. -Erela-

-Erela- Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 9, 2004
    you create fake lightsabers out of paper towel roles glued together to choreograph a fight scene. And force your brother to use one to try and attack you...

Or you create fake lightsabres out of PVC piping and different colored duct tape. And jump around on a huge trampoline with your friend choreographing a fight scene using the fake sabres.

13. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    LMAO! Don't forget all the little noises.

I have to say, I'm very guilty of the "speeling" thing. What? I think it's funny! 8-}

14. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    The following statement makes perfect sense to you: H/L, L/M, AU NJO

You leave a Star Wars movie thinking, "Geez, George, you didn't write that scene very well," and then you go home and write up the scene the way he *really* meant it

You think it's completely normal to put an MPAA rating on a piece of print. (Does anyone ask whether Stephen King's new novel is PG-13 or R?)

You scribble notes furiously during the dullest class in school--of course, what you're writing is: "Obi-Wan slashed furiously at the slathering swamp monster . . ." (Extra points if you are the teacher of said class.)

15. djcati

djcati Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2004
    The following statement makes perfect sense to you: H/L, L/M, AU NJO

I read that and thought for a second, why wouldn't it make sense?
    It seems fic code is a second language to me now. >>;

16. -Erela-

Jun 9, 2004
    I read that and thought for a second, why wouldn't it make sense?

Exactly!

And the fanfic rating came up at my house yesterday, because my little sister was reading Harry Potter romance and I said "it's probably just PG" to my parents, and they got so confused....

17. CodeName_Targeter

CodeName_Targeter Jedi Master star 5

Nov 7, 2003
    You're watching a movie with some friends and you get a cross over plot bunney idea and you immediately start bothering your friends for a puece of paper, getting them extremely pissed off at you only for something to happen ten minutes later which competely ruins any hope for your plot bunny to work.

*guitly while watching the Village*

:Targeter:

18. vader_incarnate

vader_incarnate Force Ghost star 4

Jul 29, 2002
    ... after watching The Lion King repeatedly while babysitting, your first reaction upon getting home is to log onto the computer and write a Vader fic based on the premise of "The Circle of Life".

... when doing something like that makes perfect sense, because you can't be expected to sit through James Earl Jones without immediately thinking "Darth Vader".

*bonks head on desk repeatedly*

CaraJinn likes this.
  19. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    LOL, especially when Mufasa's spirit says to Simba, "You are my son..." [face_laugh]

20. Dev_Binks

Dev_Binks Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 7, 2003
    Mary-Sue and Gary-Stu aren't just rednecks. :p

When a teacher with a heavy accent begins talking you immediatly begin thinking about what planet in SW that could come from. :p

Oh and the fangirlism in here is scary! I mean there are probably only 2-3 guys in here...

21. Vongchild

Vongchild Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2004
    Mufasa's ghost ish funny. Course, Rafiki bonking simba on the head ish funny, sooo.....

You hear a song and imediate start to think of a songfic you could write around it. Any song. Even the song that never ends.

22. Kettch_the_Jedi

Kettch_the_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 22, 2002

You meet someone new and automatically think "I wonder what their screen name is," and then you check their personality against the list of your faithful readers wondering if he/she can be one of them.

:)

23. Knight-Ander

Knight-Ander Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    * While watching the movies, you start thinking missing moments you've written/read are actual scenes and become disappointed when they're not in there

Read 'em and wrote 'em. ;) :D

24. -Erela-

Jun 9, 2004
    especially when Mufasa's spirit says to Simba, "You are my son..."

..."and the one true king." Can anybody say LOTR crossover? ;)

25. vader_incarnate

vader_incarnate Force Ghost star 4

Jul 29, 2002
    ..."and the one true king." Can anybody say LOTR crossover?

*bonks head on desk again* Noo! Stupid plot bunnies! :p

I always used to tell my brother how Rafiki stole Yoda's stick. :p