main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Your interest level in different sports.

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by JMJacenSolo, Oct 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JMJacenSolo

JMJacenSolo Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2006
    I was wondering how interested everybody considers themselves in different sports. I'll use a 1-5 scale but feel free to use your own.

5:
    NFL Football
    World Cup Soccer

4:
    Grand slam tennis tournaments.
    Formula 1

3:
    NCAA Football
    MLB
    Major golf tournaments

2:
    NBA
    IZOD Indy Car series

1:
    NHL

0(stuff I would rather never see on my television again):
    Tour de France, NASCAR, WNBA, NCAA Basketball, and a handful of other things I'm forgetting at the moment.

2. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    I'm most interested in swimming. I'm one of those weirdos that actually watches the sport in between Olympic years. :p Second to my appreciation for swimming is my enjoyment of baseball. All the rest of the sports are on a third level below those two. I'll watch them if there's something special happening or if I'm in a circumstance where they're on the tv, but that's about it.

3. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    5: Baseball

1: Everything else.

4. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    5: NFL
    I watch as much as I can and probably have my TV tuned to NFL Network at all times I have it on unless I'm watching another sporting event or the 3 or 4 TV shows I watch.

4: NHL, MLB
    The only thing more exciting than watching an NHL playoff game is the Super Bowl. I don't watch every Avalanche game, though I will always choose to watch the Avalanche over the Nuggets if they're both playing. I don't get to watch as many playoff games as I'd like because half of them are on Versus, though I have been known to break down and upgrade my TV package for a few months if the Avs end up in the playoffs.

Over the past three years, I've grown to appreciate baseball much more than I ever did. I'm sure if the Rockies were around back when I was growing up, I would have been a much bigger baseball fan because my dad was a much bigger baseball fan than anything. (He was a Dodger fan though, so I don't know. :p)

3: NBA
    I wouldn't even rank basketball this high except for the fact that I've managed to watch a lot of Nuggets games over the last couple years. I'll be the first one to tell you that I'm more of a "fair weather" fan than a true fan, but it's more the fact that I don't really have a lot of respect for a lot of NBA players or the people who make the rules.

2: College football
    I'll watch a big game if it's on on Saturday and I'm not watching anything else, but other than that I really don't even follow the local teams or pay attention to the BCS.

5. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    5: NFL and AFL (The Australian Football League.), World Cup football - watch whatever I can, follow a team, follow offseasons, discuss on forums, attend games have merchandise, etc
    4: Premier League and college football, Champions League - follow results, will watch often, don't really have a team though there's a couple I have a soft spot for.
    3: A-League (local) soccer - will watch if on, sometimes attend games
    2: NBL, NHL, baseball, other major European football, NBA - occasionally watch, become much more interested in in the business end of the seasons (playoffs)
    1: Most everything else- college sports,NASCAR, etc Don't care.

6. xblackout

xblackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 5, 2008
    5 -- NFL
    3 -- the Olympics, MLB
    2 -- NBA

I guess everything else gets put at a 1 or 0 unless I'm forgetting something.

7. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    :D

They beat Boston!: 2009-2010 L.A. Lakers: Back-to-Back World Champions :cool:

8. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Any sports not listed didn't get thought of

5 - College football, March madness, apparently the World Cup,who knew? (seriously follow)

4 - WSOP, Rugby, I think, if it was aired here (will watch if have the option)

3 - Olympics, college softball/baseball, pro Tennis (can watch if it's what's on)

2 - MLB, NBA, cricket (ok watching on occasion, but not too fond of)

1 - NFL, NHL (don't watch ever)

Now have a gf that likes cricket (as in, her fav sport to watch) so I foresee myself having to get used to that but increased exposure may move it on the rankings

9. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    5. Women's Pro Beach Volleyball.
    4. Jelena Dokic
    3. UFC
    2. Lawn darts
    1. Everything else

:p

I will sit and watch a game with people but it is rare.

10. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    5. NFL
    4. NCAA Football
    3. NBA
    2. NCAA Basketball
    1. Golf

Baseball used to be up there, but I have since quit on it after David Ortiz was found to have used steroids, which has ruined the 2004 Red Sox Championship for me, and it proved to be the last straw. I simply can't be bothered to watch it anymore.

EDIT: I'll come back to MLB if and when the powers that be stop being d-bags and fully reinstate Pete Rose. What he did was far less damaging to baseball, while cheaters like A-Fraud, who have done more damage to the game, are allowed to keep playing.

11. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    5- NBA
    4- NFL, World Cup
    3- MLB
    2- College Basketball, US Soccer team in general
    1- College Football

There is a much larger gap between 5 and 4 than between 4/3, 3/2, 2/1.

12. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    5. NHL, NCAA Basketball
    4. NCAA Football, NFL, World Cup, Slam Tennis, Olympics, Champions League
    3. MLB, World Cup of Rugby, Premier League, La Liga
    2. NBA (but it's moving up), golf, MLS
    1. Poker, NASCAR, Indy Car, WNBA/women's college basketball, everything else

Edit - :oops:

Edit 2 - forgot Champions League/etc :oops: :oops:

13. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    McClain: 5-4-3-4-5? Can you explain that scale, please? :p

6: NCAA Basketball (I needed something stronger than 5)
    5: NCAA Football, MLB, NCAA Baseball, Olympics
    4: Hmmm... can't think of anything to put here
    3: Golf, NBA
    2: NFL, Tennis
    1.5: Women's Basketball (don't watch, but I can't put it with the 1's listed here)
    1: NHL, NASCAR (and other car racing leagues such as Indy), Poker (not a sport!), Wrestling/Boxing/Pick random fighting sport, Soccer

14. JMJacenSolo

May 21, 2006
    Is it even possible to watch cricket on any US television providers?

VLM: What were you doing in The Arena in the first place? :p

15. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    nfl, nba, grand slam tennis

wsop, world cup, college basketball, olympics

mlb, golf majors

nhl, college football

16. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    beyond 5: Tennis. I follow everything from top pros, to lower ranked pros, to college, juniors all year round. Pretty much everyone who has hit a tennis ball I follow.

5: College Football,College Basketball, International Soccer, English Soccer Leagues

4: College Baseball, NFL, Poker, Other European soccer leagues

3: NBA, MLB

2: Golf, NHL,

1: Nascar, Cricket, Rugby world cup

17. Trika_Kenobi

Trika_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 4, 1999
    That means a lot, R...J. You've managed to earn my favor with this one. DMC, on the other hand, you are dead to me. [face_talk_hand] :p

5: UNC basketball
    4: ACC basketball
    3: college basketball
    2: women's basketball of all kinds, NBA
    1: There are other sports? Oh, well I guess they go here.

18. JMJacenSolo

May 21, 2006
    This is the big thing with me. 8 years ago, I was a huge NBA fan; it was right up there with the NFL. As I've grown older I've become far less enamored with it. To me it's the only of the four major sports leagues that truly just feels like a "product".

19. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Hey, at least I make productive comments in your women's basketball thread from time to time. :p And I'm not completely opposed to it, but I'd rather watch HS women's basketball when I know the people playing. :p

20. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    5 - NFL, College Football

4 - MLB, PBA

3 - NBA, College Basketball, Lacrosse (MLL or NLL)

2 - NHL

1 - Rugby (any league works), Alpine Events, PGA

0 (I don't care) - Soccer, Poker (not a sport IMO), Swimming (unless it's the Olympics), Track and Field (unless it's the Olympics)

21. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Well, I may not like it, but at least it resembles a good sport. The others? Well, at least a couple I listed there are legitimate sports (hockey, soccer) but sports I really don't care for.

I'm starting to think I should have included a 0 category for "Not A Sport" :p Poker and NASCAR and (modern) Wrestling can go there.

22. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Equestrian sports are on their own scale so I haven't included them here.

6 - NFL and College Football definitely need more than a 5 since I spend most of my tv time on these if they are on.

5 - NHL, Olympic Sports I'm so excited to be going to another game this year (maybe 2!) I watch a lot of Olympic coverage every time its on. So when its Olympic time I have an interest in skating, gymnastics, swimming, etc.

4 - College Basketball - I don't watch a majority of the games but I do follow my teams very seriously.

3 - MLS, MLB - A year ago MLS wouldn't have even been on this list but my brother's excitement and willingness to explain things plus the World Cup coverage and Landon Donovan's sexiness... I have a love/hate relationship with baseball. I love going to the games, I hate watching them on tv and I hate the length of the season.

2 - Women's sports - I think I halfway watch sports just to see sexy guys and so the girl sports just don't do it for me. [face_blush]

1 - NBA Can't stand it.

23. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    I doubt it, unless there's some international package available like they do for Premiere League, etc. I've never seen it on TV or seen any sports channel covering it.

24. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    This

25. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    5. NFL
    4. NCAA Basketball
    3. NBA
    2. Soccer, NCAA Football, NHL
    1. Everything else