main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Your oldest Star Wars Memory

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by WhiskeyGold, Jul 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    What is your oldest memory of Star Wars? I remember being in my front yard, and my brother and I playing "Star Wars". He had a lightsaber that was like a ballon, you blow it up. And I had a Han Solo gun that made a sound like I was at the dentist office. I was really young, cant remember details just hiding by a tree. I am guess this was 1978, I thought '77 but with the toys it may have been 78. I would have be going on 6. So I will say it was between 1978-1979.

Pensivia and darthwannobi like this.
  2. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Seeing RotJ. The speeder bike chase stands out in my mind. It was the second movie I saw. The first was ET but all I remember from that is the trail of Reece's Pieces. I didn't notice Yoda until I saw it again many years later.

3. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Visiting my grandparents in 77, they had the TV on a morning show and a guest (possibly Carrie Fisher?) talking about a new movie. They showed a clip with TIEs attacking the Falcon. Somehow I got the impression that the TIEs were the good guys and the girl who said "Here they come!" was the villainess. I must have been 11 then.

4. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Sometime in the summer of 1977 (I was 6 years old), walking into the local movie theater and having to grab the last two seats of the front row of the theater. We got into the theater late, so we walked into the scene where C3PO and R2 are walking away from the escape pod on Tatooine.

darthwannobi likes this.
  5. Aegon Starcaster

Aegon Starcaster Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 27, 2013
    Salacious Crumb. Laughing. That has to be one of my oldest.

6. Sandtrooper92

Sandtrooper92 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 31, 2013
    My brother passed away last year, but my first Star Wars memory was him convincing me how great it was going to be to see it. My mom took us to Northpark mall in Dallas (or I believe that was the theatre) and we stood in line for what seemed an eternity. So now the memory seems even more vivid.

Big_Benn_Klingon, Pensivia and Sarge like this.
  7. Jedi General Gelderd

Jedi General Gelderd Jedi Master star 5

Mar 6, 2004
    Watching the opening Hoth scenes in 'TESB' on a video recording when I was young, about 5-6 I think. I was so lost by it, looking so bleak and a little scary with the Wampa. Plus it seemed to be part of a story I hadn't kept up with and didn't know what was going on from the opening scenes.

I didn't understand it or want to find out more and it put me off for a long time and really freaked me out. It was only many many years later when I was older the notion of what this was made me re-evaluate watching the films, and so it began...!

8. ac4155

ac4155 Jedi Knight

May 11, 2013
    Can't remember how young I was, but I was pretty young. (Less than 5 years old as I can't remember my sister being born yet. Probably around1997/98) Anyway, it was a film on the UK TV station ITV one night that my dad said I'd enjoy watching. We pushed all the furniture closer to the TV and watched the first Star Wars. I loved it and remember my dad getting the sweeping bushes and us having a 'lightsaber' fight afterwards. They were showing each film one weekend so I managed to watch the trilogy over the course of three weeks, with our 'lightsaber' fights afterwards.

A few years later and I discovered the new Star Wars trilogy and I've loved the whole universe ever since.

darthwannobi likes this.
  9. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    I saw ANH in theaters in 1977 when I was 4 years old, but have no memories of it now. I still remember EXACTLY where I was sitting in 1980 for ESB in the movie theater (right side/around 10th row), and being grossed out when Han sliced open the Tauntaun. I walked out after the movie with my head spinning and asked my brother, "Darth Vader is Luke's dad???" What a punch in the face to a 7 year old kid! :confused:

10. CaptainRegor

CaptainRegor Jedi Master star 3

Nov 15, 2012
    My oldest? Probably sitting in front of the TV when this happened:
    [​IMG]

11. Arie

Arie Jedi Padawan

Jul 29, 2013
    I dressed as ballerina Darth Vader for Halloween once, one of the houses has a Star Wars theme going on and I remember the actual Darth Vader ( or who I thought was the actual Darth Vader) complimenting my costume and giving me "dark side" candy.

Yanksfan and Pensivia like this.
  12. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    my first memory is seeing a newspaper advert in the Liverpool Echo in 1977, I was 5, it was a strip ad at the bottom of the page. I think it was yellow and blue and there were crudely drawn Tie Fighters flying about on it (UK peeps do You remember this???) Then that afternoon queueing twice round the block waiting to get into a showing (ya could not book tickets in those days younger people)

Pensivia and Carbon1985 like this.
  13. Revenge of the Dak

Revenge of the Dak Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 27, 2012
    Around 4 yrs old (1985) at my cousins house in the basement playing with the toys. X wing vs. Tie Fighter vs. Falcon vs. Rancor!

The first film memory is watching ANH on TV with my parents. I remember them telling me "SW is gonna be on tonight" and flipping out. My dad got the VCR ready to record, sat down and enjoyed the show! That was prolly 1986/87.

At that point there wasn't many place to rent movies. The closest one to my house was about 30min away at the time. All of the SW films seemed to always be out when we went...turds. :mad:

14. vw_jedi

vw_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2002
    Probably the 70's commercials for SW toys. Particularly the one for Luke's Landspeeder.

15. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    I remember the anticipation when Star Wars came to HBO in 1983, as it was an event in the US. It had been 6 long years since I had seen it (and even though I didn't remember much from 1977 cause I was so young, I just remember loving it.) When it finally came to HBO in 1983, it all came back to me that night as it was like I fell in love with the movie all over again. We had a snow day at school the next day so I was home all day and remember watching Star Wars on HBO in the morning, afternoon, and then that night. Back then, HBO didn't have much programming so they would replay their big movie titles a few times a day. I swear I must have watched it a hundred times that year on HBO!

You would hear those drums and see the 20th Century Logo come on screen.....and I would yell to my brother, "STAR WARS IS ON!!!!!!"

16. JM_1977

JM_1977 Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 23, 2011
    For me it would be reluctantly putting in the VHS copy of ANH in my player as my dad first introduced me to SW about 9 years ago. I remember watching it and almost turning it off because I was so bored, and now look at me lol.

Big_Benn_Klingon likes this.
  17. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Well before I saw the films or anything when I was younger I went on Star Tours at Disneyland Paris. I loved it and went on several times. Though I didn't know what anything was back then I remember liking the talking Threepio. I wish I could go on it again now that I know what everything is.

18. QsAssistant

QsAssistant Jedi Master star 3

Apr 13, 2011
    I honestly can't say [face_dunno] It might have been when they released Star Wars in 1997 or it could've been the video game Masters of Teras Kasi when my cousin bought it, which also came out in 1997, I was 9.
    If it was the movie it would've been Empire Strikes Back. I remember being at my grandma's house and my cousin was living with her at the time. He either rented or bought the 1997 release of the trilogy and he and his brother wanted to watch Empire because it had "more changes than the other movies". I wanted to watch A New Hope because I had never seen SW before, and of course I lost. I only got to watch up to the scene when Luke blows up the AT-AT before my parents said it was time to go home. They must of seen how into the movie I was because the next week I got the trilogy for Christmas.

19. SkywalkerJedi02

SkywalkerJedi02 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 3, 2013
    Probabley palpatine introducing darth maul near the begining of TPM

20. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    I was too young to remember seeing ANH in the theater (my sister said I did, but I sure was heck don't remember it), but I do remember seeing ESB in the theater when I was three, and then there's early SW-related memories like watching the episode of The Muppet Show that Mark Hamill guest-starred on, and getting a Greedo action figure from the local Bozo the Clown show as part of a prize package for being at-home contestants in a game.

21. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Maul igniting the double blade.

"We'll handle this."

Hooked ever since.

22. Sandtrooper92

Sandtrooper92 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 31, 2013
    strong thread, incidentally. Strong.

Big_Benn_Klingon and WhiskeyGold like this.
  23. darthwannobi

darthwannobi Jedi Youngling

Jul 24, 2013
    Saturday morning between Super Friends and Hong Kong Phooey (or something like that) LUKE swinging round in the Falcon - They're coming in too fast!!

24. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    "Just...images, really...feelings..." :p

Seriously, though...great thread, FirstStarWars!

I was 7 in the summer of 1977. I guess my first memory was of standing in a really long line at our local theater. I don't really remember much of my first viewing of the film itself, except for being really scared of Darth Vader. I think I was also a little freaked out by the scenes of Threepio walking through the Tatooine desert by himself (the "aloneness" of those shots and the creepiness of the big creature skeleton he walks by).

Frank T. and FirstStarWars like this.
  25. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    anyone remember when seeing anything Star Wars on tv was a rare treat? Like even the holiday special was great cause we got very little star wars other than movies. No videos, on downloading, we had to wait in front of the TV and hope. Or if you were lucky like me you had this film viewmaster thing, that you look in and turn the handle to watch a scene from Star Wars. And I remember Kmart having Star Wars on film but it was like a 10-15mins thing, i believe, and no sound

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.