main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Zayne's World - the EUC home of Zayne Carrick and his Fellowship

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Amon_Amarth, May 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Hi everyone. With 29th issue of the awesome SW: Knights of the Old Republic series knocking at our door, I think it's about time that and outstanding character like Zayne gets his rightful place here in the EUC. :)

The original Knights of the Old Republic thread has been closed for years and we usually discuss the KOTOR stuff in the Acolytes of Revan, but not all members read the comics and are familiar with the great new characters. And I feel that the Literature forum should not be the only place to discuss Zayne, his companions and the work of great JJM and others.

Tired of your everyday-uber-powerful-standard-Jedi, descendants of even more significant people with reputable names? Tired of your best Jedi always saving the day in the same manner?

Well, here is Zayne Carrick, son of Arvan the Accountant and Reiva the Gardner, a Padawan on the Run, the intern, the henchman, the chump, chased by his former masters for a crime he did not commit, aided by the fringe of the galaxy; a con-artist, a space-elf, a crazy old inventor, a Mandalorian deserter / crazy scientist (???), a frail shipjacker, slow and thick bulk-loader droid, Ithorians with guns, a Revanchist follower Jedi with an uncertain&grim future, former 'girlfriend' who nearly killed him.
    Pure-hearted and selfless, he sacrifices his own freedom to try to save a distant world from a certain doom at the hands of Mandalorians... but ends up spending his 18th birthday in a prison cell aboard Courageous. Trying to clear his name, Zayne's adventures will lead him and his seemingly paltry but true and loyal friends across the galaxy and bring him face to face with the secret Jedi Covenant, the Republic, Mandalorians, bounty hunters, exogorths and Mando-Raks!

He is a living proof the Force has a sense of humor, but also that the Force works in mysterious ways and may lay dormant in the truest of the Jedi.

[image=http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y285/Amarth775/Zayne_padawan.jpg] [image=http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y285/Amarth775/MandoZayne.jpg] [image=http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y285/Amarth775/escape.jpg] [image=http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y285/Amarth775/ZayneVanq.jpg]

2. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    The way Zayne lives his life is pretty much what every Jedi should aspire to be.

3. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
    I read bits and pieces of it and i definitely want to read more. Since i work at Borders now i can start reading them more fully.

4. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Zayne may seriously be the best Jedi ever. He really is one of the best people in all Star Wars. I'm very impressed by him and his adventures.

5. Rebecca_Daniels

Rebecca_Daniels Force Ghost star 5

Sep 3, 2006
    Agreed.

6. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    [image=http://www.farawaypress.com/Portals/0/covers/shop/kotorset1.jpg]
    Probably the best six-issue arc ever.

7. Amon_Amarth

Jan 27, 2005
    QFT!

Yeah. Strange that we didn't get a 6 issue arc since then. I wonder how many issue Vindication will involve.

8. TNPredsFan

TNPredsFan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2004
    I asked JJM that question, but I don't think he's allowed to say yet.

BTW, if folks aren't aware, JJM now has a thread in the Authors and Artists forum where you can go and ask him questions. Here's the link. [face_peace]

KOTOR #29 is on the preliminary shipping list for next week. Hopefully, it will not be delayed due to Memorial Day.

9. KotOR_girl

KotOR_girl Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2007
    Great to see Zayne got his own place! :D I'm a huge fan.

=D= =D= =D=
    Excelent summary of Zayne's adventures so far. Beautiful.

Good pictures as well. [face_peace]

10. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Hear, hear! Just about anything that has to do with Zayne is almost guaranteed to be awesome! He's so awesome, the rest of the galaxy just can't stand it, so that's why it falls apart in the next few years. I don't think Zayne is quite the perfect Jedi, but if I had to name one Jedi that came as close as humanly possible to the perfect Jedi ideal, Zayne would be one of my top choices. Here's hoping his adventures go on for a long, long time.

11. Amon_Amarth

Jan 27, 2005
    To Zayne Carrick, the embodiment of AWESOME! :D

And yes he is so human and so Jedi more than any other Force-user managed, we know of thus far. He also has flaws, which is exactly why I think his character was developed more nicely, and makes me like him even more.

12. JediHobbit

JediHobbit Jedi Master star 5

Mar 2, 2002
    Have to say: great thread title. :D

I haven't gotten in to KotOR comics yet. I'm not much in to the comics, but I'm mostly caught up on Legacy and hooked on that. All I've heard about KotOR has got me very to start reading them though. I may have to make a trip to the book store for some TPBs in the near future.

13. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    I [face_love] Zayne!

He may not be the savviest, but he's the nice, normal, endearing, earnest, sincere, reliable guy you'd take home to mother, LOL. And he's cute. :*

I come bearing a gift - this is a wallpaper that TNPredsFan made, for the Zayne/Jarael 'shippers:
    [image=http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c228/jadedskies/Star%20Wars/jarael_zaynewallpaper.jpg]

Isn't it beautiful? :D (Be sure to click and make it big. The thumbnail scrunched it up.)

14. Master_Keralys

Master_Keralys VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 8, 2003
    It is beautiful!

This is my new home away from home. Sorry, Jag Fel, I'll drop in from time to time, but Zayne Carrick is the Living Jedi Dream.

He's never realized it, but he's probably more in tune with the Living Force than pretty much anyone he knows. Or pretty much anyone we know. That's impressive.

The best part? We're over two years in and he still hasn't cleared his name - but he also still hasn't killed a single person. People have died from trying to kill him... but Zayne himself has yet to kill even one individual.

Impressive.

- Keralys

15. TNPredsFan

Nov 10, 2004
    Aw.....thanks Trace and Keralys. [face_blush]

Being a life-long Vader fangirl with a penchant for liking the bad boys, I'm amazed that I fell in love with Zayne's character, but you just can't help but root for the guy. He tries so hard to do the right thing.

Zayne/Jarael = [face_love]

16. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost star 5

Dec 15, 2002
    Hey, if he's trying to do the right thing, and be a good Jedi, wouldn't he shy away from a love relationship with Jarael? Mark me a realist, but I don't get how that would work.

17. TNPredsFan

Nov 10, 2004
    He does the right thing simply because it's the right thing, not because he's a Jedi.

I may change my mind as the story progresses, but as of right now, I do not see him returning to the Jedi Order if/when he clears his name.

18. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost star 5

Dec 15, 2002
    Yeah, that's a good point. He probably now isn't too happy with the Jedi, and he probably doesn't care if he breaks Jedi rules, and most likely will never be one again either.

19. Cem_Fel

Cem_Fel Jedi Master star 4

Mar 14, 2006
    The picture is beautiful [face_love]

That's one thing, which I really like about him. He acts more like a Jedi than some so-called Jedi to be honest...

20. Amon_Amarth

Jan 27, 2005
    Amazing picture! :D =D= Thanks, Jedi Trace.
    I've never been much of a 'shipper for anything really, but I would really love to see Zayne and Jarael as a pair. [face_love]
    Shel go away! [face_not_talking] :p

I am interesting to find out how long can it be avoided, but more and more I'm reading KOTOR, the more I don't think we will see him commit a direct kill.

It's been explained before that in KOTOR times relationships were not strictly forbidden in the Jedi Order. It is more of a conservative teaching. I remember that there was this discussion in the Lit forum about Bastila taking it too seriously and following a more traditional teaching.

QFT!
    Unlike the Jedi, who often to the right thing only because it is their duty, Zayne acts on his instinct and pure heart.

21. KotOR_girl

KotOR_girl Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2007
    :D Wonderful!!! [face_love]

I'm a Zayne/Jarael shipper, and not afraid to admit it! :D [face_peace]

=D=
    I've just talked about Shel's role in future KOTORs with a friend yesterday and he said that he read on some forum that apparently there are shirts with Shell's face crossed out. When I asked him, he didn't know if they were official or made by fans, probably the latter, but still I think it's a damn good idea! :D [face_devil]
    ;)

22. JohnJacksonMiller

JohnJacksonMiller Mastermind: KOTOR, LTotS, Knight Errant star 3 VIP

May 24, 2005
    Thanks for the fun thread!

I mentioned them -- I don't think they existed, it was something Trace and TNPredsFan had mentioned to me that they had thought of. Probably too inside an in-joke for mass consumption anyway!

As to the earlier question as to storyline length, I still don't have the official answer, but I would note that one of the modern challenges of six-and-more-issue arcs is keeping them on time with the same team. It's often better to have multiple portions of a story that all meld into one drama. "Exalted" and "Turnabout" are just as equally part of "Vindication" in every way that's important -- except for what's on the inside-front cover.

23. Master_Keralys

Oct 8, 2003
    Huh. I hadn't thought about that. And given the issue with Brian not being able to do one of the issues in Commencement, I can definitely see how that would be the case. (That's pretty jarring on a read-through, too: not that the art is bad in 5, it's just different and thus a shock to the reader.) When it naturally flows in smaller arcs, that's a pleasant resolution pacing, too: you don't have to wait six months (or up if there are delays!) for a particular arc to resolve, but the overall arc you might. That's probably harder to pull off, though, I would imagine: having lots of small arcs that make a single big arc, what with having to have intro, rising action, climax, and brief denouement all in a shorter span without having too much payoff so that the tension in the main arc is following the same pattern. [face_thinking]

- Keralys

24. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    I have to admit that I wasn't a big comic person. And since I started comics and KOTOR was so far into it, I didn't try to read it. However, with the cross Vector arc, I have picked up the last few issues and completely fell in love with Zayne. So I'm going to be picking up the tpb's in order to start from the beginning and know more about him. (cuz I'm kinda confused right now)

25. Master_Keralys

Oct 8, 2003
    And thus we have our first hard proof: Vector is doing its job! Huzzah!

- Keralys

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.