main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO 1000/1000 - The Achievement Whores Guild

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Reynar_Tedros, Aug 3, 2008.

1. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    I forgot to save before reaching those levels, so I'll just make a new character once I'm finished with my current one. Got 5 more bobbleheads to find first...

2. Darth-Vassago

Darth-Vassago Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2004
    Not that hard. You're just over thinking it.

3. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Finally attained 200/200 in Braid this past week, after completing the speed-run challenge and getting all the pieces aligned in freaking World 6.

God, I love that game.

My wife's said that to me at least once....

4. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    Thanks for sharing. :p

Getting 1000/1000 isn't that hard in some games, it just takes a looooong time. I'm aiming for 1000% in Mass Effect and I will get it, it just means playing through the entire game multiple times, which I just don't have much time for these days. [face_tired]

Multiplayer games can be the same, get X number of kills in a ranked match, kill X of players with X type of weapon and so forth. Not hard, just time consuming.

5. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    ^ Getting 1000/1000 in Street Fighter IV is going to be impossible for me I'm sure. [face_talk_hand]

6. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Dead Rising is a fun game to get 1000/1000 on. Getting that 7 day survivor achievement is a marathon, though.

7. Richard-Drahcir

Richard-Drahcir Jedi Master star 3

Feb 18, 2004
    I just got my third 1000 GS the other day on Eternal Sonata. It was brutal playing thru the 2nd time as enemies were stronger and I had to be careful with the Score Pieces and their order for the EZI achievement but it was well worth it, especially as I saved the final dungeon for my new full HDTV so it was quite glorious to finish with the best possible look for the game :)

So that joins LEGO Star Wars Complete Saga - god, that drove me insane getting the blue canisters that don't appear on a radar and other achievements too

And Phantasy Star Universe. Way too much buttom mashing on that game. I only got a 1000 GS because that was for completing the story. I has no interest in the multiplayer expansion pack that would have got me more points.

8. Maarek-Stele

Maarek-Stele Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 6, 2006
    Now 1100 of 1100 for Fallout 3.

9. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    1000/1000 Prince of Persia. :D

10. RC-11

RC-11 Jedi Youngling

Nov 25, 2008
    1000/1000 in 007:Quantum of Solace and in The Bourne Conspiracy.

11. Z-501

Z-501 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 4, 2009
    I cant get all of the achievements for halo 3 because i dont have internet hooked up yet. I have owned this game for 3 days and i have 9 achievements, 2 skulls, beat it once on easy working on normal now.
    Achievements obtained(these are some of my achievements)
    Headshot Honcho
    Beware of the Purple Mist
    Im trying to unlock as many armor types as i can. one of the skulls is hard for me to get which is the floodgate level where you have to shoot the flood holding the skull as he jumps across a building. that is seemingly impossible, any hints?

12. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Getting the skull on Floodgate (I forgot which one it is) is doable; just equip your battle rifle as you start through the level and keep your eyes peeled to the sky as you re-enter Voi. But you have to be pretty quick and accurate to nail the flood carrying the skull as he jumps over the rooftops and to make sure the skull clears the roof on the way down. If you miss, just keep restarting the level until you nail him.

Getting the IWHBYD skull (if you don't have it already) at the end of "The Covenant" level requires your jumping through the seven holographic rings in a precise order. Ring one is at the start of the hallway leading up to the control dais, ring seven would be the closest to the dais. You being jumping through the middle ring, hich is the easiest to spot since it's the replacement for Installation 04 and looks incomplete. The sequence is this: 4-6-5-4-5-3-4. As you jump through the rings you may or may not hear a musical note from the main Halo theme. If you completed the sequence correctly, all seven rings will suddenly start flashing and light up in sequence towards the dais. The skull will then spawn at the end of the lightbridge. Once you get it the Hayabusa helmet will be unlocked.

Getting the Security (Marathon) helmet and the vaunted katana decoration requires your completing of all original 49 achievements, (online included). Considering how ridiculously hard some of those are (I'm looking at you "Overkill" and "Two-For-One"), well, all I can say is "good luck!".

13. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    I got the Overkill achievement in my second day of online playing. It's not that difficult if you can get a Swords match in Lone Wolves.

As for Two-For-One, that one was such a pain to get. I basically had to wait until Bungie released a playlist that was called Laser Tag (only Sniper Rifles and Spartan Lasers), and in the lobby, all of the players agreed to help each other get the achievement.

14. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    I have the Security helmet and katana unlocked and I haven't got all the original achievements. I heard that they unlock after you get 1000/1000 points... but since they expanded the achievement list with the new MP maps, getting anything over 1000 unlocks them. Which is what happened to me it seems. [face_thinking]

15. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999

A little while ago -- when Bungie released their Title Update 2 with the extra achievements -- people who got 1000/1000 and unlocked the Katana and Security helmets would suddenly find themselves without it. The cause of the bug was (supposedly) reported to be that if you hadn't unlocked all original 49 achievements -- regardless of actual real GS -- the special armor pieces would not appear. Dunno if that's true but that's what I had read elsewhere.

Well, it took me ages to get those two only because I found a couple of matches were people were helping each other to get 'em. Of course, once I got 'em I felt kinda cheap getting them that way. But getting them "legit" is still such a pain sometimes.

16. RC-11

RC-11 Jedi Youngling

Nov 25, 2008
    Update:1000/1000 in 007:Quantum of Solace, The Bourne Conspiracy and Resident Evil 5 (I don't count the multiplayer ones).

17. roxez

roxez Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 13, 2007
    Finally found the last flag in Assassin's Creed. My Only 1000/1000 game.

I do have 200/200 though for the XBLA Banjo-Kazooie , so I guess that counts.

Again, I don't have Gold, so many achievements are left unachievable.

18. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    Finally racked up 1000/1000 in Ghostbusters, after obtaining "Payday!" and "Employee of the Month" in multiplayer, capped off by that fricking ***damn "Are You a God?" Achievement. Found a way to get it without having to replay the entire game all over again -- after you beat the game the first time, all you have to do is go back and beat the last chapter of each mission on "Professional" in order to receive it.

(Just look out if you do decide to replay the whole thing on Hard...Azetlor becomes soul-crushingly "Ninja Gaiden" unbeatable in that mode, even worse than he was on "Experienced.")

Now if only I can snag "The Gang's All Here" in Madden '10 -- this one is just ridiculous. I got so mad, because I had a six-man tackle, but still not seven, and still no Achievement.

19. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    I gather you need to do multiple playthroughs of Fallout 3 in order to get all karma achievements, right? Or is there a special way to get around that? As awesome as the game is, it'll be particularly daunting/taxing/any particular adjective endign with "ing" to do multiple 100+hour playthroughs just to get 'em all.

20. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    I thought about this too, but I also thought about how hard it would be to do such a thing. First of all, you would probably have to try altering your Karma -- say, about half a level before. Changing your Karma requires a LOT actions in a certain karmic direction, and by that time, you would have probably already leveled-up.

You could probably make a save right before you reach the set levels for the Achievements, go to Megaton or Rivet City, and just start killing people -- you'll get the "Level Up" message, but will not actually be able to distribute points and assign Perks yet, because you'll have hostiles around. Once you get to the desired Karma level, just run out of town to a safe place, and the "Level Up" screen will appear, and you'll have the Achievement.

But on the other hand, if you do that, not only is it not fun and Achievement-whoring, it's not exactly one playthrough, if you think about it. I'd rather play through the game three times with three different styles of play, and receive three completely different experiences.

21. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    The problem with that -- just as I found out awhile back with when playing multiple playthroughs of Mass Effect to get the magical 1050/1050 number -- is that with multiple playthroughs, the less achievements are left to unlock. So you might find yourself playing the same 50+ hour game with only one bleep-bloop on your screen to show for it, and that might be just a wee bit discouraging. Also, there's no achievement on Fallout 3 for completing a play through on Very Hard. Is it me or did they miss Bethesda miss the boat there? I WANTED an incentive to tackle the game on its highest difficulty, and they give us none.

Then again, maybe that's the whole point: not to focus on Fallout 3 for the achievables or difficulty or what not, but rather just enjoy the really long and fun trip through the Wasteland.

22. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    Yeah, I agree -- the game is so incredibly deep and immersive and haunting that simply playing through the storyline (or not) is its own reward. I bought the game mainly because: (A) the previous two titles were amazing; (B) the game looked spectacular; and (C) Bethesda was the developer. The Achievements are merely gravy, though I'll cop to my own occasional bout of whoring, just for OCD completeness's sake. Still, as amazing as it sounds, even I sometimes have trouble remembering an era before unlockable Achievements/Trophies, which for many people have become the tail wagging the dog, unfortunately.

(Whatever happened to just playing through Morrowind as a Werewolf Morag Tong, getting consumed by your bloodlust, emptying out entire cities of their populations, destroying the Legion, annihilating the Great Houses, overthrowing Dagoth Ur and ruling from Red Mountain over an empty, haunted land for its own sake, simply because IT WAS FREAKING AWESOME, MAN?!?)

Sometimes I hate the effect of Achievements worse than Hitler.

23. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Yeah, I occasionally find myself playing a game over and over again JUST for the achievements. It kind of bothers me when I do realize that that's what I'm doing. It's caused me to take a step back and think about if a game is actually FUN anymore or if I'm just doing it to raise that number a few more points. Some achievements I like because they make you play the game in different ways. The One Free Bullet for the Orange Box is a good example of this. (Beat Episode 1 firing exactly 1 bullet. No more. No less.) But for the most part, they seem like artificial methods of creating replayability when sometimes there really is none.

24. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
  25. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Yeah, I caught myself thinking one time too many "why the frak am I doing this?" around my umpteenth ME playthrough. The Ally and Weapon/power based achievements were definitely meant to encourage multiple playthroughs, and while that CAN be fun, it was certainly extremely tedious after the third or fourth playthrough. I hope they don't pull a similar (or worse) stunt for the sequel...but I'm sure they will. I can see it now: Ridiculous No Lifer (150G) = Complete 10 Mass Effect 2 Playthroughs, in any difficulty, using only your pistol.

Ah, The One Free Bullet. That was a fun achievement. Little Rocket Man for Episode 2, not so much (it WAS a pain to carry that damn garden gnome throghout the episode, especially keeping it with you on your barely-there junker of a car). And speaking of which...

WHERE?!
    THE FRAK?!
    IS EPISODE 3?!?