main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series 100th The Clone Wars Episode! - 5.12 - Missing In Action - discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Seerow, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    I am finally caught up on this season.

Wish I had better things to say about this arc but it was odd, disjointed and way too long. I'll file this under 'What were they thinking?'

2. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Good to see you in LACWAC, Kiki-Gonn.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Agreed. Welcome. :)

4. QsAssistant

QsAssistant Jedi Master star 3

Apr 13, 2011
    Have to agree with you. I didn't mind the first episode with D-Company (or whatever they are called) but to have more with them is too much. I do like Greger, so it was nice to have him add something worthwhile to this arc and I hope we get to see more of him.
    Anakin has only been in one entire episode and Obi-Wan in two. I say it's time to give them their screen time!

07jonesj likes this.
  5. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Hey guys!

Now that my son is old enough to run around the house it's hard for my daughter and I to sit down and watch TCW :)

6. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Hi Kiki! Always a pleasure to see you unexpectedly...crashing...parties.:p

Random observation about the last episode: what if they had used Sev? (for those of you who are familiar with Republic Commando) Not like I have any problem with Gregor, but Sev's disappearance is one of those longstanding mysteries in the EU.

7. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    :eek:

The potential of that just hit me. That... that should have been our arc.

EDIT: I think the timeline might be off actually? Didn't Sev go "missing in action" in 19 BBY, whereas The Clone Wars is at 20 BBY at the moment (not like The Clone Wars has adhered to timelines before).

EDIT EDIT: Yeah, Wookieepedia says Sev goes missing just a few days before Order 66.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  8. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Huh -- I never knew that! Good catch.

9. quigonobi3

quigonobi3 Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 5, 2012
    Thankyou!! Is this 3 episode arc going to be the one when Obi Wan teams up with the mandelorians ? If so it will be so cool to see Obi Wan in all of that mandelorian armour-whew!!

10. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    We need to stick to talking about MIA and not talking about future eps in this thread. The season 5 spoiler thread and TCW general threads can be used talking about future arcs.

11. Coric

Coric Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 19, 2011
    Oh please, you guys talked about Gregor in the two previous episode threads before MIA aired.

12. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    QFT.

Also QFT. If I was trying to remain spoiler-free the talk of Gregor would've made that impossible.

13. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I usually find myself being the one to defend Clone Wars and praise it's variety of content. I understand that some episodes are aimed at a certain group of viewers, so for example there are some that are obviously more kiddie friendly and humorous, and even if I don't like them, I can at least objectively say that they're not bad episodes and accept them for what they are without complaints.

But this story arc is just...I almost physically cringe 75% of the time. Anytime that godawful "colonel" and "corporal" pretty much say anything. Or do anything. Or just appear.
    I hate those two with every fiber of my being. These were the only episodes where I actually stopped watching and had to force myself to finish it, a couple of days later.
    The "colonel" is annoying in almost every way. The way he talks, the way he moves, what he says...the very concept of a stuck up, egoistical, tiny frog bigot who is very obviously utterly incapable of anything is just plain irritating to me. I won't even mention his "corporal" and all their banter. The only two characters who actually talk in 80% of these episodes are probably my least favorite characters of the entire saga, down there with Callista and Jar Jar.

Then came Gregor...I had no hopes whatsoever for this arc to be redeemed, I just wanted it to end. The way it did end...too little, too late. Yeah, Gregor did some cool stuff, yeah, there was 2 minutes of more or less cool action. Yeah, I got to see the Clone Commando armor...and...uh...that's it.
    Besides the visual candy of something actually happening in this damn story, I find Gregor rather disappointing. In the time it takes for them to reach the landing ground from the cantina Gregor goes from a guy who can't snatch away a gun from a fat, crazy sullustan - to a guy who just blasts everything in sight and is obviously highly trained.
    The obvious argument is "Well, his memory started coming back - it all kicked in in the heat of the battle!"
    Yeah, well that would be fine if they'd shown him as having no memory but retaining the physical reflexes of a clone commando. The fat sullustan points the gun at him, doesn't even finish the sentences WHAM BAM THRASH - the sullustan's down and Gregor has the gun, probably commenting on how he has no idea how he did that - followed by a comment about his training still being intact. Or something.
    But no.
    He was shown not only as losing his memory, but also as being physically incapable of overpowering a fat cook.
    Also, all the other arguments about him saying "Not gonna be a slave in a diner, gonna be a slave for a Republic I just found out about!" - that too.

Anyway...this is a highly subjective "review" and I am aware that some will not agree with me and that is quite fine.
    I try to keep my distance and look at things from different angles and with more objectivity, but this story arc just left such a strong negative impression on me that I find myself unable to even bother to try and find it's merits.

cwustudent, Convor and 07jonesj like this.
  14. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    There would have been a fecal storm I'm sure if Gascon commented that Sev had been missing since the invasion of Kashyyyk, which immediately preceded Yoda's arrival there, which had not yet happened.

But even ignoring that, I'm guessing they are still keeping options open for the often speculated Imperial Commando.

rumblewagon likes this.
  15. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    I remember cringing during the episode Secret Weapons, and then I didn't cringe any more.
    I was thinking about how Luke said in A New Hope, "There's nothing for me here now." And I thought wow there's nothing for Gregor on Abafar. And I thought how George Lucas wanted an episode about nothing. And the light dawned on me. The light! So bright! Moving towards the light! So bright so brigh-

16. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    As pointed out by others, that would be a fail. TCW handled this right. No need to make drama with the EU.

17. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    This is IMO one of the only episodes that had a ton of EU stuff and did NOT screw with it and make us angry.
    They even referenced a comic and a game and did not mess those up.

Seerow, rumblewagon and Robimus like this.
  18. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I like it best when TCW invents entirely original characters myself.

19. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Gregor is a prime example of that, but re-inventing PT characters like *cough*Tikkes*cough* would be quite nice too. :p
    I love this arc mainly cause it has focused 95% on New characters like Gascon, Gregor and even Borkus... not on already overdone characters like Anakin or Ahsoka.
    And this is where this season, even if not the best by popular vote, has quite managed to focus on other character than any season since Season One. I mean we learned more about Hondo and how he thinks, we saw the Youngling POV, we saw the evolution of characters like Saw and Steela, we witnessed the "waking up" of a special clone from his amnesia state and we saw a Colonel in the GAR find it in his heart to connect with a DUM-series droid.
    That is what TCW is for me - focus on the OTHERS and then have some attention to your main cast.

20. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    yea really

21. quigonobi3

quigonobi3 Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 5, 2012
    I really wanted to see more of Gregor,i would have loved to see him fighting alongside Rex and Cody they would have been awesome together!!

Seerow likes this.
  22. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Is reinventing really such a good idea? The focus on OCs isn't really this arcs strong point for me. Its the mixture of cartoon camp and philosophy. Previously Young Jedi was a much better example of the advantages of going with an all OC cast. Same could be true with Onderon were Saw and Steela not so boring.

23. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    *shrug* I thought the younglings were rather boring.

Gregor's story was different, but his personality, meh. "I'm just a dishwasher.. wait, I'm a soldier? OK now I'm a soldier".

Coric and 07jonesj like this.
  24. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    That was just a side effect of TCW team giving Gregor ten minutes of screen time.

Seerow likes this.
  25. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    As requested by Seerow, here's Friedman's reply:

1h
    @BFree63 Was it yourrrrrr idea to serve "Ewok Jerky" on the menu at Borkus' diner?!?! Outraged. PETA will be notified.
    Expand

50s

Brent Friedman
    @BFree63

@Halabrew LOL! I wish it was my idea. But it was probably those mischievous animators...