main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lou, KY 2011 GALACTIC ALLIANCE BOOK CLUB DATES AND READS

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by LordZannah, Jan 6, 2011.

1. jedimika

jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep star 4

Apr 2, 2008
    Bump!

MONDAY JUNE 6TH
    DISCUSSING: Han Solo At Stars End
    AUTHOR: Brian Daily

2. Yoda_Jammies

Yoda_Jammies Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    I'm excited!

3. LordZannah

LordZannah Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 18, 2010
    I'm excited too! I'm digging this read very much. [face_dancing]

4. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    The Great Escape on Bardstown rdhas several of the old west end games sourcebboks pretty cheep for those EU buffs out there. I recomend them, espcly the Dark Empire one.

Also, if anyone needs a copy of this months book, let me know. Also also: if you have the 3 in one paperback, remember we are discussing the firstbook "Han Solo at Stars End," but of course feel free to read and discus all three (chapter one of book two allways cracks me up-- Solo's bootleg dvd scheme winds up creating a new riligion!0

mtfbwy
    jammies

5. LordZannah

Aug 18, 2010
    Thanks for the heads up my Jammies. I'll see everyone June 6th at the bookclub meeting foe sho. [face_dancing]

6. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Bump! See everyone Monday for lots of C6 discussions (we may even talk about the book):)

7. LordZannah

Aug 18, 2010
    Sorry guys, I had one of my dogs at the vet today for an ear infection. They sedated her to clean the inner ear out... and to make a long story short, I have just now been able to get back home with her. I still need to feed all of them and it's already getting late. Its been a very long day, so I'll see you all at the Meet and Eat.

Have fun tonight, I really enjoyed this read. [face_dancing]

8. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Gotta take care of the critters, no problem.

Good discussion as grandpa jedimika and jammies talked about the good old days and how books were better back then and media crossovers meant a strip on the newspaper comic page and you kids git off our lawn!

9. mindtwister_138

mindtwister_138 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 19, 2002

LOL!!! I'm sorry I missed it. I have been extremely low on credits due to some issues with republic scumbag lawyers, and decided I needed to stay home, as gas is a most expensive commodity these days. I hope I will be able to diffuse this situation soon and get my normal credits back where I can afford to do things again.

Hey! I'm the git off my lawn guy now! Seriously, ask Brandy next time you see her. She'll be more than happy to tell you all about it...lol!

10. VoxDeamonicus

VoxDeamonicus Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 19, 2010
    i found the book to be shallow and empty. With every page I died a bit inside. It was a literary abomination. I'm still not sure why we had to read Twilight.

11. LordZannah

Aug 18, 2010
    Vox, you have always had an incredible dry humor... my favorite kind. [face_dancing][face_laugh]

12. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    ?Good discussion as grandpa jedimika and jammies talked about the good old days and how books were better back then and media crossovers meant a strip on the newspaper comic page and you kids git off our lawn!? *That newspaper strip first came out on the day of my birth. Momma kept the paper from when I was born, and the Star Wars strip was the town?s headline!*

Because everyone wants to know the lecture notes I had for this book?I thought I?d share them here. Remember, this book?s theme was ?Books Older Than Dar.? So we got to wax nostalgic about the 80s.

Brian Daily?s Han Solo at Star?s End, and the other two books that round out the Han Solo trilogy?were some of the absolute earliest of the EU. Spliner of the Mind?s Eye was written in March of 78, while Star?s End came out a year later in April 79 with the other books published six months after. At the same time you also had the syndicated newspaper strips (star wars was next to Ziggy and Snoopy!), and shortly there after the Marvel comics.

The above mentioned literature has lost a great deal of ?freshness? and lasting power. As the years went on, Splinter just didn?t age well (Luke kissed his sister again); and while the newspaper strips (collected by Dark Horse as ?Star Wars Classics?) is a must read, the Marvel stuff is down right goofy. So where does this leave the second oldest EU novel? At the top of the all time greatest.

Why? Brian Daily. Mr. Daily had already proven himself in the Lucas sandbox with the Star Wars Radio Drama for NPR. His ability to fleshout the film, and go ?behind the seanes? using only words while still staying true to the trilogy is, in my opinion, based on his love for the source material that Lucas used for the films. Mr. Daily knew Star Wars because he knew Tarzan, Carl Bark?s Uncle Scrooge Comics, films like The Hidden Fortress and Forbidden Planet. A testament to his ?getting it? is the fact that until the Clone Wars cartoon?Mr. Daily was the only author to have his material presented as G-Level cannon in the internal Lucas library. (Side note: Daily worked on the Robotech books with James Lucino, I think before SW).

Such very Star Warsy stuff like the ?wookiee life debt? the ?vibro blade? ?holocubes? and the Z-95 Headhunter were his ideas, not GLs!

Star Wars now is such a vast garden of ideas and wonderment. Over 10,000 years of Star Wars lore is out now, with more everyday. What fascinates me is how Daily nailed it with just one movie to reference. As if that wasn?t restrictive enough?he did have restriction from Lucas. No Empire or Rebellion. No TIE Fighters or X-Wings. No Force. No Luke or Vader. And, absolutely no Clone Wars.

But BD slipped a few things by: Blue Max was programmed as a ?regimental commander? during the CW (was he working for the droid army?) foretelling the rise of battle droids. Han?s buddy Trooper was a Clone Wars veteran of the ?outer rim sieges? and of the ?ryloth spice conflict? (and Twilieks weren?t even invented yet!). How very similar to ROTS and the Ryloth trilogy from the Clone Wars.
    Clone Wars aside, Daily proved pretty prescient about other things too. In Star?s End, he tilted the Falcon on its side to slip trough a canon (years before Empire would do the same trick). I also couldn?t help thinking when reading Lost Legacy as a kid that Solo?looking for lost treasure in booby-trapped vaults was a lot like another Harrison Ford character.
    Mika and I both were disappointed as kids to not see any TIE fighters or Star Destroyers, or anything about the Empire. As adults, the Corporate Sector is a great backdrop for our heroes and expands the score of the galaxy once more. Current EU tells us that powerful trade guilds, like the Trade Federation, had used the corporate sector as a tax free zone for ages?but the Imperial corporate sector of this novel is a lawless zone where the corporations once loyal to the failed Darth Tyranius have carte balance.
    The Empire as bad guy motif is replaced with the corporation as bad guy motif; not unlike Alien or, Lucas?s own THX-1138.
    Again?for a book writ

13. LordZannah

Aug 18, 2010
    Jammies, you are a well of information. I am flabbergasted. I had no idea of all of this. What you have just related, has given a series of books that I have immensely enjoyed reading, so much more importance and validity. Wow... I think in so far as reading enjoyment, the Thrawn Trilogies along with the Hard Contact series are still my favorites.... however, this read most assuredly takes it away in so far as "a class act". [face_batting] Thank you for sharing my Jammies.

14. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    I heart you Zannah @};-

What till you see what I got for August!

15. LordZannah

Aug 18, 2010
    And speaking of August... "AlMOST THERE"!

FRIDAY AUGUST 5TH
    DISCUSSING: Millenium Falcon
    AUTHOR: James Luceno

NEW BOOK PURCHASE FOR THIS PERIOD:
    Dualogy: This will be two Books: Dual Spector Of The Past, and Vision Of The Future
    AUTHOR: Timothy Zahn

Bump, bump, bumpity bump. [face_dancing]

16. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    BUMP BUMP BUMP

I hope you all can come, the book is an easy and fun read-- and I actually have been working on the lecture notes for this event. See you all in what, 10 days?

Jammies

17. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Darn it I'm working second shift that day. As a Solo fan I was looking foward to the discussion. Have fun!

18. LordZannah

Aug 18, 2010
    Stang Mika, we will miss you horribly. Take care and we'll see you soon. [face_batting]

19. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    I have a work thing and will be late. Well, later than usuall.

20. Relin

Relin Jedi Master star 2

May 17, 2010
    I will probably be late as well.

21. Relin

Relin Jedi Master star 2

May 17, 2010
    Well, something came up and it doesn't look like like I will be making this one at all now.:(

22. LordZannah

Aug 18, 2010
    I'll be there... and seeings how the ones who are coming will be showing up late, I'll arrive around 7:30 ish. See you all there! [face_batting]

23. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Crap, I'm running a fever of 102. Probably contagious. This just isn't a good day, apparent.

Hope you all liked the book. I did. I though it bridge the EU, the OT and the PT, and the LOTF and FOTJ books well. I also made a model of the Stellar Envoy-- but I guess that will wait for later.

I gotta get some sleep.

24. 11-11

11-11 Jedi Master star 2

Jul 17, 2007
    That's a bummer. I wanted to hear your notes.:(

Hope you feel better.

25. LordZannah

Aug 18, 2010
    Oh I'm sorry your not feeling well my Jammies. I hope you get better soon. Well I guess that explains where you were at. I waited till a little after 8:00pm, and no one showed up so I left. I just now got home, there had been a wreck on Brooks Hill Rd., and the wrecker had the lane blocked. Anyway, did anyone else show up? We might have had our first bust! [face_beatup] If so, it was bound to happen sooner or later. The first one in three years isn't bad. [face_peace] Well, we can just discuss two books at the next one. I will say this much... This was a fabulous read! I enjoyed it very much. Quite the goings on with the Falcon! Who'd of knew? 8-}