main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph 2013 - What Movies Do You Want To See Most?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabbadabbado, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    As you can see, it's another year full of 3D CGI animation, remakes, 3D re-releases, sequels and comic book adaptations, with some room left over for fairy tales, children's book adaptations and end of the world movies, including one of the most anticipated zombie movies ever.

And as usual, the movies with the biggest commercial appeal are jammed into May-June and Nov-Dec. Star Wars re-releases are stuffed into the Sep-Oct dead zone.

Here's hoping Ender's Game is good

January:

Gangster Squad
    Movie 43
    Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters

February:

Escape from Planet Earth
    A Good Day to Die Hard

March

Jack the Giant Slayer
    Oz the Great and Powerful (!!!!!)

April

...?

May

Iron Man 3
    The Great Gatsby
    Star Trek 2
    Fast and Furious 6
    Hangover Part III

June

After Earth
    The End of the World
    World War Z
    Man of Steel
    Kick-Ass 2

July

RIPD
    Pacific Rim
    Loan Ranger

August

Elysium

September

Attack of the Clones 3D... lol

October

Revenge of the Sith, 3D

November

The World's End
    Ender's Game
    Thor 2
    Hunger Games Catching Fire

December

Hobbit 2
    Jack Ryan

2. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I am excited for none of them, but the Gatsby trailer intrigues me in that they found it appropriate to fit T-Payne's autotuning into a 1920s period piece.

3. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    I enjoyed the Oz the Great and Powerful trailer and Sam Raimi's weak misreading of all the iconic imagery from the MGM classic.

There's something about building a giant CGI simulation of MGM's technicolor Oz that feels like taking a giant dump all over cinema history.

4. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    I'm pretty much only looking forward to seeing Star Trek Into Darkness, myself.

5. Jensaarai1219

Jensaarai1219 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    I kinda want to see Gangster Squad because Ryan Gosling is very attractive. I enjoyed both Star Trek and Hunger Games so I will be seeing their sequels. However I read the Hunger Games trilogy after watching the first movie and can't say i was impressed with Catching Fire.

I didn't realize the Hobbit was going to be a trilogy until just now. Not sure how I feel about that but I will definitely be there.

6. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    I must have a closet nihilist somewhere inside me because all the apocalyptic titles excited me. :p

7. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Yes, please don't confuse The End of the World with The World's End. The former is Seth Rogan's take on post-apocalyptic partying. The latter is Simon Pegg's take on exactly the same thing.

The last end of the world comedy: Seeking a Friend for the End of the World was one of the biggest box office bombs of 2012. It set Keira Knightley's efforts to escape the confines of costume period dramas back by at least a decade. But I have to say I really enjoyed it.

8. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    I've been excited for Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters since before it got delayed by a YEAR, so I'm really glad it's finally time for that.

Not expecting Ender's Game to be any good, but I'll surely go watch it.

Apprehensive about Man of Steel and Star Trek Into Darkness.

High hopes for Thor 2 and the Morgan Spurlock/One Direction movie, whatever form it takes.

Reserving expectations for Hobbit 2 until I see Hobbit 1.

9. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    World War Z looks like about the most original take on a global zombie pandemic you could possibly hope for. Brad Pitt plus zombies sounds like a megahit to me. Zombies meet the I am Legend prequel. And it looks like they threw ALL the money at the production. The original budget was $125 million, but with delays and reshoots, the budget likely got jacked up considerably. Not necessarily a great omen for the film, but the trailer is...just lovely.

10. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Can't wait for Man of Steel. I have a great feeling about it, even if the teaser got some criticism.

11. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I'm looking forward to Fast 6 and Enders Game the most.

12. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Hey, me too!

Jensaarai1219 likes this.
  13. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I really really want to see Star Trek Into Darkness despite the nonsensical silliness of the title. I'm intrigued that Cumberbatch is the villain. I'm also interested to see how The Wolverine fares. Isn't Monster's University coming out next summer? If so....yes of course.

14. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    The Great Gatsby, I suppose. It's got Leonardo DiCaprio and I'm kind of obsessed with him, plus it's based on a favorite book. It's either that or one of the obvious geek flicks, so why not pointlessly differentiate myself?

15. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Hobbit, catching Fire, Man of Steel, Enders Game, Thor, and the second Percy Jackson film. :). (Unless that's 2014)

Edit: and Star Trek and Gatsby and whatever other historical biopic Oscar-bait film we get.

16. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    I second that. I'm excited by the prospect of a new Superman movie, but I'm not a fan of Snyder's work.

17. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Presuming we're not all destroyed by the Mayans on Dec 21, I'm greatly looking forward to Star Trek 2. Cumberbatch as the villian should be interesting.

thesevegetables likes this.
  18. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    Star Wars Uncut TESB

jp-30 likes this.
  19. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Man of Steel. But what's this Jack Ryan business? :eek:

EDIT: Oh, I see, it has Chris Pine in it. Right. So they're evening things out between two excellent depictions of Ryan on screen (Baldwin, followed by Ford) and the one terrible one played by Affleck. Now it'll be two horrible casting choices vs two good. I like symmetry. [face_plain]

20. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    From that list: The Great Gatsby, Star Trek, The World's End and The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug.

21. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I'd be all up for Gatsby if it wasn't Luhrmann. As is, no thanks.

As it stands, Iron Man 3, Thor 2, maybe Hobbit 2 if the first one turns out well, The World's End, The End of the World, and maybe Gangster Squad if the reviews are good are the only ones I'm really that interested in.

22. StarWarrior92

StarWarrior92 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 7, 2011
    Looking forward to Oz, IM3, Lone Ranger, Monsters University, JP 3D, AOTC 3D, ROTS 3D, Thor 2 and Hobbit 2.

23. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Just looked up the Jack Ryan film. It is based on Clancy's Ryan, with Chris Pine playing Jack and Keira Knightley playing Cathy Ryan. Not exactly the greatest casting.

24. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    This is the one that Branagh's directing, right? And playing the villain?

I look forward to uncovering the Shakespearean majesty of Tom Clancy's intel-thriller hero.

25. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    i saw the trailers for gangster squad and hansel + gretel. both look like PTTTTHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

nothing on that list piques my interest, really. is the great gatsby an updated, "tricked out" version?

actually i saw the trailer for world war z too. it looks like your standard end of the world movie, preparing us mentally for the actual end of the world, which is apparently just down the road. wasn't the book structured like a series of interviews?