main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:WA 3rd ed Dungeons & Dragons players wanted...

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Saintheart, Jul 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Kart: I guess me spitting arrows at you and taking your eye out got you a little worried, huh ... :D :D

soneil: We're still waiting for your first initiative roll in the combat from Saturday. :D :D

Incidentally, does anyone have a copy of the program "DM Genie"? ... I'm thinking to try and streamline the experience a bit so I'm not searching frantically through books every time we're in-game... :D

2. Darth_Soup

Darth_Soup Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 15, 2001
    Saint, is it cool if I run two characters simultaneously, mainly because now I have picked up the psychopathic sword of hurtiness I can't see my main one being around much longer. :)

DS

3. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Fine by me. However, I'll "disappear" my monk and just run my paladin; the party's got well-enough strength in it to survive most (most [face_devil] ) encounters without my Bruce-Lee-from-another-plane-of-existence.

As an alternative (and this applies to everyone) if people don't want to run two characters at once, players can roll up a 'backup' character to put into play should their first one die, so we can continue sessions with minimal interruption. I will make the caveat, though, that the backup character must be two levels lower than their current character ... just so you don't go getting all careless with your current character. [face_devil]

Or of course you can just continue with the one you've got.

IMPORTANT EDIT: Roleplayers Home is down for the forseeable future. If you want an alternative online character generator (targeted specifically at Forgotten Realms characters and options) try http://www.pathguy.com/fr.htm. It's javascript, and it takes a while to load, but it's worth it.

EDIT THE SECOND: I've got a copy of DM Genie now ... I'm going to start learning to use it. Do people prefer to make their own attack/damage/skill/save rolls, or should I be learning it with the idea of manually entering people's rolls in mind?

4. LBJ

LBJ Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 12, 2004
    Ok I'll have a look at the other character builder given the one that's down looks to be down permanently (or for a while at least) and try and find some inspiration for a new character. In regards to how the game is going etc and I'll try not to appear just bitter over the death of Garrison;

1. I'm enjoying it, could use a little more role-playing however that could just be the adventure we are currently in i.e. We haven't come across too many people to talk to....mostly people just want to kill us. When we are in towns/villages etc though It's cool to role-play things out with all the GM run characters.....offering xp bonuses as you mentioned last game is a good way to encourage the players to do this as well.

2. I'm a little concerned at the group....i.e. we aren't really working together and has a very each man for himself feel. We have scouts that are too scared to scout, rogues that are pilfering the corpses of dead companions and wizards who are primed to cast 'fly' and flee the scene. I think we need to focus on some team work here...i.e. scouts check things out, report back, tanks go in first, ranged peoples attack while the tanks hold the line...or something like that.

3. Re: Garrison's death the meta-gaming magically everyone knowing 30 feet was some sort of safe distance bugged me along with the fact that despite the other characters adventuring with him for several weeks (and presumable got to know him etc), no character tried a 'diplomacy' or 'bluff' role or role-playing to defuse the situation....it was all a mad rush to the 30 feet safe distance. Hrrrmmmmm??????

4. There is no fourth point other then to re-iterate the despite my grumbles above I am definitely enjoying the game and don't intend for this to be taken too badly etc. Just searching for some inspiration for a new concept....I may pm you about this Saint if I have time at work this afternoon.

5. LBJ

Oct 12, 2004
    Are there any D&D 3.5 character creation programs you can download and use offline? Or are they mostly web based?????

6. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    I might add that had Garrison survived he would've had the XP awarded to him for that session, most notably for the wish for his partner to be freed from her servitude. That was perfectly in character with the hidden notes I had. As for the lack of role-playing things out, I'll see if I can inject a little more into it, although we are, after all, in the middle of an enemy camp right now. I probably need to inject more description, more suspense into it as well. The longterm, overall plan is to alternate site-based adventures with event-based adventures and try and get a mix of both.

On the actual role-play itself, I'm still coming to grips with the interaction between skill check (eg Bluff, Diplomacy) and just roleplaying the encounters. What I might do is make secret skill checks and then roleplay out the encounter--and if someone's particularly good in their dialogue, I can always give your roll a +4 for the effort or what have you. Thoughts?

I've had a new thought to add to it: with the group's consent, at the commencement of each session I should have a little written page of 'script' for everyone to read through in character together which will set the scene for the next session. It was an old trick I used for the WEG Star Wars RPG and it seemed to work nice. That way at least everyone gets a bit in character and settled in (I hope). If anyone's got any violent obejctions to this, let me know.

I think that's more for the players than me. On one hand the pilfering of corpses is in character for the Mighty Dan; and I'm not exactly sure, but Ionamaeus (as distinct from Todd) seems a flamboyant sort of character who wants the limelight (and certainly got it during that encounter will the hill giant ...) On the other some teamwork is required.

My own stupid fault for reading out the effects of the +2 Beserking longsword aloud. Next time there's a cursed weapon I'll take the player aside and inform only him about its effects. But I hear what's said nonetheless. Try and dampen down the godmoding, folks. I also undertake to do the same with my own character (the monk will be leaving us). Remember: you're acting in character. If you want neutral good alignment because then you're not bound to a lawful good's code and you're not evil, then you really need to act something like it.

7. LBJ

Oct 12, 2004
    I might add that had Garrison survived he would've had the XP awarded to him for that session, most notably for the wish for his partner to be freed from her servitude. That was perfectly in character with the hidden notes I had. As for the lack of role-playing things out, I'll see if I can inject a little more into it, although we are, after all, in the middle of an enemy camp right now. I probably need to inject more description, more suspense into it as well. The longterm, overall plan is to alternate site-based adventures with event-based adventures and try and get a mix of both.

On the actual role-play itself, I'm still coming to grips with the interaction between skill check (eg Bluff, Diplomacy) and just roleplaying the encounters. What I might do is make secret skill checks and then roleplay out the encounter--and if someone's particularly good in their dialogue, I can always give your roll a +4 for the effort or what have you. Thoughts?

I got the xp bonus? Woo Hoo! [face_dancing] oh I'm dead? :_| More seriously though I understand that in our current situation there isn't a lot of scope for role playing many encounters, mostly things want to kill us so it's straight into battle which is cool, when the opportunity is there to role play it out is also cool and fun....even when just meandering around a small village talking to the locals like in the first session. I think your descriptions etc are fine.

More on the actual role-playing side, well my views as a GM for my star wars game is to have the players role the bluff, sense motive or diplomacy checks, secretly roll the relevant check for the NPC. Based on the players role playing I award either a +2 or -2 to their final skill result, and if they role play particularly well then +4 or -4 in the case of really bad dialogue (release the prisoners or I'll kill you....in fact I'll kill you anyway!). That's my two cents.

I've had a new thought to add to it: with the group's consent, at the commencement of each session I should have a little written page of 'script' for everyone to read through in character together which will set the scene for the next session. It was an old trick I used for the WEG Star Wars RPG and it seemed to work nice. That way at least everyone gets a bit in character and settled in (I hope). If anyone's got any violent obejctions to this, let me know.

I've had some experience with this in the past as well....usually works pretty well, kind of like a cut scene in a video game.

I think that's more for the players than me. On one hand the pilfering of corpses is in character for the Mighty Dan; and I'm not exactly sure, but Ionamaeus (as distinct from Todd) seems a flamboyant sort of character who wants the limelight (and certainly got it during that encounter will the hill giant ...) On the other some teamwork is required.

Yeah I agree it's more for the players.....nothing wrong with people acting their characters either.....we just need to find some more strategic cohesiveness.

My own stupid fault for reading out the effects of the +2 Beserking longsword aloud. Next time there's a cursed weapon I'll take the player aside and inform only him about its effects. But I hear what's said nonetheless. Try and dampen down the godmoding, folks. I also undertake to do the same with my own character (the monk will be leaving us). Remember: you're acting in character. If you want neutral good alignment because then you're not bound to a lawful good's code and you're not evil, then you really need to act something like it.[/quote]

Hey players will do what players will do you can only guide them as the GM......I think what you propose is a good idea though.....I probably got a little carried away trying to hack everyone down as well but in hindsight it was a good opportunity for player interaction. I'm as guilty of this as anyone.

8. LBJ

Oct 12, 2004
    Ok I've been going over my concept and I can't decide between Fighter/Cleric, Fighter/Barbarian or just plain Fighter.

Thought/Comments?

9. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Fighter/Cleric will leave you with one pure cleric, a cleric-al character, and a paladin, as well as the fighter/cleric. Guess as DM I'm in for lots of 'turn undead' rolls.

I like fighter/barbarian, myself, but I recognise you've played barbarian before ... :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.