main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[3SA] There isn't enough active moderation in the Ep3(SA) forum for the lead-up to ROTS.

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Darth Mischievous, Mar 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    Siths_Revenge posted on 5/19/05 9:34pm
    ^Those are just your opinion. How would you know if a thread didn't get good if you don't let it stay open for more than a second?
    [hr][/blockquote]

Typically, if you have two identical threads on one subject you lock the new one and redirect to the existing one. That's exactly what's been going on for the past two days since the release of ROTS. Just looks like you are complaining for the sake of complaining rather than having a valid point. Especially seeing as you confess to never visiting the 3SA.

2. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    ^Wow. I like the personal attack, Malkie. You never change.

I rarely post in the Spoiler forum, doesn't mean I don't visit it.

3. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001

I rarely post in the Spoiler forum, doesn't mean I don't visit it.

I was never in the ROTS forums much at all until today anyway.

Oops.

4. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    OMG GRIPPZ QUIT WITH THE PERSONAL ATTAX!

5. Siths_Revenge

Jul 27, 2004
    Maybe this forum should be read only?

6. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    You have to realise the amount of traffic we were getting was TRUELY exceptional. It was out of control.

Rest assured the break WILL be lifted. We actually tried earlier today, but got swamped with redundancy again straight the way. This is an exceptional situation.

In the meantime it isn't a read only forum, because everyone can post in exisitng threads.

I appreciate everybodys help and understanding. :)

7. MovieTrailerMusic

MovieTrailerMusic Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 17, 2004
    G-Fett I prefer keeping the 3SA like this until the forum is ready to close & joins the prequel trilogy forums after the DVD release & the mods & mods only can make threads & users can post their idea for a thread first but a mod would have to approove it is sooo much cleaner & nicer this way

8. GriffZ

May 27, 2001

Whoa, let's not go nuts here.

The high traffic is going to come down quickly within a few weeks, just as it did with AOTC. Seven mods are more than enough to handel the traffic in that forum (the next few days notwithstanding).

9. Siths_Revenge

Jul 27, 2004
    Yeah, it wasn't like the threads were getting out of hand. Sure, there were some similarities, but it's not like there were 1,000 "why wasn't this done" threads.

10. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    Actually, that's exctly what happened and would happen again if it was left unmonitored for an hour or so.

11. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    This thread hold won't be permanent. In fact, as early as Monday we could probably lift it at times. It's the influx from this weekend primarily that we simply can't get ahead of. Nobody can find a home in which to post. Threads sink too fast as new one's are created. It's new users signing up talking about things we've known about in the forum for years in some cases. Trust me, we're tightening the thread creation now and making folks use official threads. But that's as bad as it'll get. From there, it'll only then ease up once we reach a slower pace and achieve a new equilibrium of activity. :)

12. GriffZ

May 27, 2001

Good call, Sape. It's comforting to know there's an AOTC veteran in charge of the 3SA.

13. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    Thanks. :)

What I'll do just about everytime I'm on is enable threads and turn them off at the end of my time being online. I'm basically around throughout a 10 hour workday and so that leaves a lot of time to start new threads. But hopefully some stronger threads in the E3 Forum will take hold as one's people recognize and will post in, thus another step toward the surge ending. If another mod comes online after me and wants to enable threads then it's at their discretion.

14. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    Can we leave it un-modded and un-locked and un-edited for an hour, just to see how bad it gets? That would be funny :)

15. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    Er, no. That would be a pain in the butt to clean up. A pain of tremendous proportions.

16. Siths_Revenge

Jul 27, 2004
    Can we leave it un-modded and un-locked and un-edited for an hour, just to see how bad it gets? That would be funny

You should've been online Thursday morning around 3/4 a.m.

17. MariahJSkywalker

MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2005
    Yeah, it wasn't like the threads were getting out of hand. Sure, there were some similarities, but it's not like there were 1,000 "why wasn't this done" threads.

That's not good if you're actually trying to have a discussion and the thread is knocked off the first page in a minute. Not cool.

Also I liked Malkie going into 3SA and putting smackdown.

18. Siths_Revenge

Jul 27, 2004
    ^If it's knocked off the front page, just bump it back up. That's not hard to do.

You have to wonder about some of the threads that weren't locked.

19. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    If it's knocked off the front page, just bump it back up. That's not hard to do.

Except when there are 5 threads being created that ask "Who was Sifo Dyas?", another 10 that are giving a person's opinion of the movie, another 10 that point out "plot holes", etc.

Closing down thread making for a while isn't a bad thing if it's to prevent absolute flooding while there isn't anyone online to deal with it. Having the spoiler managers/admins turning it back on when they come online and then off when they go should be able to give things the right balance that is needed. Unless you have had the chance to experience what it's like then you are making assumptions that aren't based in fact about what it is like having to moderate during that. Ideally it would be great for the mods to be able to find other ways to help them control it, but this is one of the very few options available.

20. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    When you're the only person in that forum constantly locking the threads you don't have time to look at every post someone makes. You don't have time to redirect to the right thread with a link. You odn't have a lot of time for anything really besides locking -> refresh -> locking -> refresh, etc.

And what is the point of bumping a thread if it is gone from the first page a minute or two later? Seriously what do you propose be done? You're not there too often (as you even admitted) and you certainly don't know what its like to spend hours in one forum just locking thread after thread after thread to no end. Did I set a precedent by closing off thread creation? Perhaps (I honostly don't know). Do I regret it? No. Do I care that you think I did a bad thing? No. If you have a better solution to the problem of 329073927 threads created within an hour then please do tell!

21. MariahJSkywalker

MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2005
    Exactly, what's the point in bumping a thread when it ends back off the first page again in a minute. Also do we need 100 threads saying the that "ROTS was awesome"? No.

22. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    I want to commend Sapient and the rest of the 3SA mods for working on this like you all have - I rarely browse that area because of the craziness (and I didn't want a ton of spoilers before watching the movie) but I know how things can be over there and I think you all are doing a superb job at keeping it under control.

Keep up the good work!

23. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    I think the 3SA mods have provided a very robust forum for the past few days. For the most part they have turned on the ability to make new threads when there have been a few of them around, and turning it off when they leave. I think that's for the best until after the weekend.

It was crazy for a while, and absolutely no fun to moderate alone.

Sapes has been running a tight ship, and hoepfully most people have enjoyed the forum in the past couple of days.

24. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    Thanks for the kind words. I'm heading into 3SA now. It looks good in there.

25. Siths_Revenge

Jul 27, 2004
    There wasn't 1,000 threads saying "ROTS was awesome". Most of the time the posters had some very good questions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.