main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends 50 Ways to Stuff A Jedi--Obi/Qui and Thanksgiving cheer--Vignette 30

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by DarthIshtar, Jun 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    "You did what?"

Mere Ovorp was not one to cower. After all, she had the audacity of a stage performer and the energy of a Toydarian on spice.

Then again, this tended to be the case when she was not around an angry sister.

"They're practically family anyway," she reasoned, "and they're going to have no one to spend the holiday with..."

"They're Jedi," Noela snapped. "They don't believe in holidays."

"Right," Mere snorted, "which is why they have your yearly dates on Lover's Day."

She had a point there and she knew it, which is probably why Noela was in such a bad mood.

"It's our first holiday as a family," Noela protested, "and I wanted it to be special."

"It's going to," Mere protested. "And you know we wouldn't feel the family circle was complete unless they came along."

Noela tried to scowl, but she was already convinced, if Mere was any judge of expressions. "Fine," she said at last with only a hint of grudging in her voice, "but if there's one word about attachments, I'll stick them in the oven myself."
    "You didn't."

Obi-Wan hadn't expected his Master to be particularly happy about the change of plans, but he was arguing too much for his own good.

"They all asked us to come," Obi-Wan insisted.

"All?" Qui-Gon echoed.

"Well," Obi-Wan admitted, "I didn't get to talk to Noela, but Mere says it was her idea."

Qui-Gon frowned. "That probably means that she suggested having us to the Day of Thanksgiving five years ago and forgot about it ever since," he reminded.

"Yes, but the point is, they have been gracious enough..."

"Oh, no you don't," Qui-Gon said sharply. "You're not going to start quoting me in order to get your way."

Obi-Wan didn't see why not. He'd been doing it for years.

"Do you really want to offend one of the finest families in the Republic?" he asked instead of explaining that to his Master. "After all, this has ensured good relations with the delegation for many years."

Qui-Gon's frown deepened until it seemed to be a permanent fixture etched onto his face. "I still don't like it," he admitted, "but I believe you may have done a good turn in this regard."

"Then we can go?" Obi-Wan said hopefully.

"Yes, Padawan," Qui-Gon said with one of those long-suffering sighs that he had learned how to do on Obi-Wan's sixteenth birthday. "We'll accept their invitation."
    Theoretically, this was supposed to be a day of rest from ordinary labors and a time for enjoying the simple things in life.

Judging from the amount of smoke billowing from the kitchen and the way even Mere was unable to do much more than call a harried "Hi" at them, it was not going as planned.

"It's not my fault," Ciel called. "If you learned to read the recipe, you'd have learned how to set the temperature right!"

"Don't worry," Noela, ever the diplomat, called. "I got it before everything burned."

Qui-Gon spared a glance at Obi-Wan and found him looking rather faint. "Perhaps," he suggested quietly, "we should go give Liam some moral support."

Liam seemed to be taking it better than they'd expected, if you could call it that. "Take a seat," he called, "and take my wife with you."

"You're not babying me," Noela snapped. "I am perfectly capable..."

"You've been on your feet for four hours," Mere interrupted, "and there's nothing to do for another half an hour, so you can keep our guests entertained."

He heard a rather sulking sigh from Noela, but she moved into sight and beckoned them out of the entryway. "Sorry," she said in a heartfelt manner. "Things are getting kind of...crazy."

"Can we help?" Obi-Wan asked.

"I'd like to see you try," she laughed, glancing back towards the kitchen. "They're getting very impatient with this whole thing."

"We'll leave it to them, then," Qui-Gon suggested, moving forward to kiss her cheek. "You're looking well."

"I'm looking frazzled," she corrected good-naturedly as she settled onto the repulsorcouch with her feet tucked beneath her. "Liam's

2. Noelie

Noelie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 11, 2005
    I don't know why "We are a happy family" kept playing itself over and over in my head.

The fact that the Jedi wanted to "support" Liam is adorable, even more that Liam was happily going along with the disaster in the kitchen.

And the ultrasound Obi was trying to accomplish was just too cute for words.

I love it.
    Edit: Oh Jon, you have no idea just how tragically funny your comment is! (no! not that!)

3. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Loved it, Ish! Hmm, how angry will Liam be when he finds out it's Qui-Gon's? I kid!!!!

Maybe...[face_whistling]

Loved Obi-Wan's ultrasound on Noela, too. Hehe. He's hooked on midriffs!

4. Araxie

Araxie Jedi Master star 3

Mar 6, 2006
    Very cute and very funny. I loved that it is Obi-Wan that notices, not Qui-Gon. It is as if Qui-Gon never wants Noela to change but Obi-Wan accepts that change happens.

5. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Noelie--LOL, that's rather twisted of you, dear. Glad you liked the Jedi wanting to "support" Liam. I know that my brother, dad and grandpa all hide out on Thanksgiving because they know how crazy we can get with the sweet potatoes. Thanks for the 'too cute for words.' Tragically funny indeed!

RK_Striker_JK_5--I'm smirking and laughing. GO READ BY SMALL THINGS! You and Palpy are now on the same wavelength! Thanks! He's very hooked on midriffs, but not for the reason Qui-Gon thinks.

Araxie--That is exactly Qui-Gon's issue. Thanks!

6. cdmcc

cdmcc Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2005
    "Take a seat," he called, "and take my wife with you."

He he. I must say this has cheered me up. Cheers Ish.[face_peace]

7. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Glad this did some good, cdmcc. :)

8. princess_of_naboo

princess_of_naboo Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2000
    "Oh, no you don't," Qui-Gon said sharply. "You're not going to start quoting me in order to get your way."

Obi-Wan didn't see why not. He'd been doing it for years.

Got to love that.

It's wonderful that you wrote the news breaking for Noela's first pregnancy. Loved how Obi-Wan noticed, but Qui-Gon was oblivious. Thanksgiving was the perfect setting for it too.

I'm so glad Noelie told me about this vig.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.