main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Bloom, IN __HA Meetings via SKYPE?___&___4-18-09 attempt:-)

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by MusicTrooper, Mar 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MusicTrooper

MusicTrooper Jedi Master star 4

Feb 22, 2005
    Hey, this may be just another wako pipe dream of mine,

but the Hoosier Allaince seems to be at the cutting edge of technology,

for example, those amazing pod-casts, (kudos to Tim / Jedi_Narf)
    and that really cool Photo-comic at WonderLab, (very cool RC)

that I thought we might one day try havint me attend your meeting remotely, via,

http://www.skype.com

I saw so many laptops at the last meeting, I thought this might be possible.

and while the video part of this may not work, the audio should.

Skype, is like a phone call via the internet and in its simplelest form should be free.

I have tested my ......now do not faint.........new computer and it seems to be easy to do,
    and for something in computer world to be easy for me is well, uh, er, hhhmmmmmm
    should either be impossible for others, or, a no-brainer for others.........I think the later is most likely[face_laugh]

anyway, my schedule seems clear at this time, for the time-frame of our next Hoosier Allaince meeting.

and who knows, depending on times and availability, even Lito from California could attend.

My current guess is that something like "conferencing" more than 1 would be where SKYPE would start to charge a fee.

anyway, check this out and see if you can use it for anything at all.

MT

2. echo-3

echo-3 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    This sound great,I looked into it and it cost money to use,so Not sure we could unless someone in the group already use's it. Im sure Lito would love to join in. Tim, is this do able?

3. Jedi_Narf

Jedi_Narf Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 17, 2006
    Hmmm, I hadn't really thought about that before, but it is possible. The main trick, however, is that it would probably be best if my laptop wasn't the one being used for the audio/video conferencing since it will be recording the actual podcast at the time (it's theoretically possible for my laptop to do both (especially if Casey is there and I can use his mic), but it would likely be wiser for someone else to use their laptop to conference other members in).

We aren't limited to using Skype, though. I've had audio and video chats over AIM before, and using their service is completely free. I know that at least via a Mac using iChat you can have a multi-person conference over AIM for free; I would have to assume that you could do the same with other AIM clients as well.

I'll look into this some more when I have a bit more time to test some stuff out. And any ideas other members have are welcome as well!

4. echo-3

Mar 11, 2002
    Tim
    I can bring mine too. And Night when your not there ,I am sure Gary would bring his. Discuss more everyone.

5. MusicTrooper

Feb 22, 2005
    well, this is from the skype website.

Founded in 2003, Skype is revolutionizing the way people communicate around the world. Every day, millions of people use Skype to communicate for free through voice and video calls as well as instant messages. Many people also use Skype to call landline and mobiles with pay as you go Skype Credit or a monthly subscription.

Skype certifies and sells hundreds of hardware products from more than 50 partners and works with third-party developers to create software to extend Skype?s functionality. Conversations over Skype can take place on computers, mobile devices and other Skype Certified? hardware.

Skype generates revenue through its premium offerings, such as calls to and from landlines and mobiles, voicemail, call forwarding and text messages. Skype has been downloaded more than half a billion times and is used in almost every country on Earth. Skype was acquired by eBay Inc. (NASDAQ: EBAY) in October 2005.

--------------------------------

and so far, I have tested this between my computer and my wifes, as we both have
    the free version of skype.............this includes video as well as audio.

I first learned of this as part of a report on the all business channel,
    or I call it the endless stock market report channel.

and it was presented in a fun way, with the presenter pretending to be the
    the biggest cheap-skate on earth who wants everything for free.

Since my wife does not have a video camera in her computer, I could not test this.
    but
    we can always play with this on my next visit and see what we can learn.

6. atataboy

atataboy Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 10, 2005
    Skype wasn't too bad. I have used it before.

If video wasn't a huge concern there are other options as well, Almost all of the chat programs also offer audio (and many video) conferencing, Ventrillo, Teamspeak (kind of a pain to organize though) and many others.

I think it could be a nice addition for HA. It could be appealing to some fringe dwellers who aren't quite sure about us.

7. LITO-JEN_VELASHUU

LITO-JEN_VELASHUU Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 21, 2004
    Lito would INDEED love to be able to join in!

8. Jedi_Narf

Jedi_Narf Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 17, 2006
    I'm still looking into this more, but it is interesting to note that there is now a Skype client for the iPhone, so I might be able to conference somebody (or somebodies) in using that.

My initial reaction, though, is that we'll be able to use this capability at the next meeting.

9. echo-3

Mar 11, 2002
    Ed & Lito, Could you be up for this on the 18th?

10. MusicTrooper

Feb 22, 2005

in my best mechanical computer voice___________________working

As soon as I know where I will be and if I have a computer connection,
    I will post a yea or nay on this.

At the very least I will bring my laptop with me and we can bench test this a little to learn more.

11. LITO-JEN_VELASHUU

LITO-JEN_VELASHUU Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 21, 2004
    Can't do the 18th; I'll be at a beach wedding all day (and night, I assume...especially with the champagne fountain and all...). Sorry, Eric...

12. MusicTrooper

Feb 22, 2005
    UPDATE

so far so good:)

If someone who will be at the meeting on 4-18-09, will send me their,

SKYPE name, I will try to call in.

NOTE: I just bench tested this again with another laptop here at my house,
    and noticed that if you are using BLUE TOOTH wireless technology, your laptop and/or SKYPE
    may not be able to "dynamically" switch between them and you would have to know how to re-direct
    your laptop to what you want and know whether you are using the laptop speakers/microphone or
    Blue Toothe-s (this took us 15 minutes or so to figure out.)

otherwise no problem.

also, even if you do not have a camera attached to your laptop, I should be able to send you
    a video signal from mine. Which could add a little fun to things.

Bottom line for now, is that I hope to be trying this out.

If too cumbersome, or intrusive in anyway

Please turn it off, we can play with the very next week, and see more of how practical it might be.

that is all for now.

MT

13. echo-3

Mar 11, 2002
    I signed up a few weeks ago, I think my id is ericst1138. Ill check on that Ed

EDIT
    Yes, my number is ericst1138
    ED do you have my cell number so we can try this Saturday?

14. darth_gary

darth_gary Jedi Youngling

Jul 19, 2008
    Ed
    Were on now!
    ericst1138

15. MusicTrooper

Feb 22, 2005
    Sorry to this did not work out.

will be down to visit Bloomington this comming weekend and we can see
    more about this then:)