main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fantasy A Breaking World: Of Alanvar and the Vyn'rath

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by Chukles38, Jul 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WINKWINK

WINKWINK Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 15, 2008
    IC Elicia Bathory

Ell sat at the fire in the midst of her men after a successful raid on a convoy from one of the local lords. She was telling a story, weaving together a ridiculous tale of a young women and her many lovers as she maintained a few of her blades that had gotten damaged in the brief fight, occasionally gesturing with one where appropriate. The men were watching with rapt attention as she was in rare form, even for her. Smiling and making a rude face, she thought of why she was in such a good mood. [i]Not one death, a convoy of over fifty men and we didn't have to kill a single one. Sure I injured a few and Rork took that one poor drivers leg, but they'll live. I'll be able to sleep tonight.[/i].

As if thinking of him summoned him, a giant of a man stood up from one of the more quite fires and walked over to hers.

Stopping in mid flourish and with a feeling of dread she too stood and turned to him.

[i]No, not now. Please not now.[/i]

[b]"Ell, what?s the point of stealin? things if?n we can?t keep ?em? We?re getting? mighty upset that you don?t give us a fair share of the loot, and think it?s time you went yo?r own way."[/b]

[i]I've known this was coming but I thought I had more time... I thought I could win him over[/i]

Staying relaxed she asked him "And him I disagree with you? What then?"

With a leer he rasped "Then yo'r way be into the grave"

Feeling tears welling up in her eyes she whispered "Not again. Please please please" as she drew forth one of her knives she said louder "This is for the families Rork, to buy and barter from the farmers for food." Hardening her voice and face she attempted to bluff the giant "And you will get a share of the profit, just like every other man here" she paused for effect, almost as if she were still telling her story "After the other are taken care of".

The large man unlimbered his giant axe from his shoulder, one of the only "true" weapons owned by any of the raiders and an impressive sight to behold "so be it, if'n yo sorrinder now, yo'll keep yo'r life" He leered again, looking her up and down "If'n yo'r good"

Another man stood but she motioned him back "I can take care of myself Allen" she turned back to the big man, still addressing Her long time friend "or did you forget Rictor a few weeks ago" inside she cringed at the memory.

Slightly taken aback at the reminder of her skill, the man looked around.

[i]yes, please, let it go. Don't make me kill someone else. Another of my own allies[/i]

He looked around... and she saw his pride doom him.

With a roar he launched himself into a massive swipe that would have easily cut her in half. Had she not moved smoothly under it, reversed her grip on the knife in her right hand, and Pushing off with her left foot and with her right still in the air, she slash's him in the stomach, rising to the armpit as she steps past him with her right foot. She then pivots to revers her momentum and slash's him in the tendons of his neck and shoulder, careful to avoid the artery in his neck. From the way the blood spurts she can tell she hit it anyway.

Not even realizing he was now the walking dead, Rork spun around stumbling and howling with his right arm dangling. He took his axe in only his left arm and and swung at her diagonally taking another step to put her in his reach.

Twisting her top half and bending at the waist she dodges feeling the wind of the great axes passing as it almost catches one of her knees. She rights her grip on her blade and steps in as his axes buries itself in the ground.

Vision fading, he realizes far to late that he'll not get his axe out of the ground quick enough and tries to grab at her. He manages to snake his arm around her lower back in an attempt to pick her up and turn her over, slamming her into the ground head first. But even had he let go immediately it would have done him no good as she has already struck her blade home. He falls, the weight of his arm carrying her down with him.

Allen is there quickly to lift her up, but she has already moved out from under the dea

2. Sarge221

Sarge221 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 9, 2006
    IC: Lyle Zahara
    Rebel Camp

"Oh sure the hunt is nice, but there's more to it then that" Lyle spoke as he marched back and forth in front of the small company of archers that had been designated as the ones he would command. Perhaps such a responsibility would be a bit daunting, especially when the leader was nothing more then a simple Corporal, but even when he was told by his commanding officer Lyle hadn't even been shaken by the words.

The way he walked and talked now showed no weight of responsibility that should've been pressing down on him. The only weight that he had was his usual leather armor and weapons, with the most prized of those - his bow - being held in a loose grip at his side. Such items could not weigh down the light steps he took nor switch his voice to any other tone that wasn't the laid-back one that he now used to rally the troops.

"But what you do after the hunt is even better," Lyle continued as he turned around to once again cross in front of the men. One, two, three. After a few more that brought him into the center of their lines he suddenly turned to look towards them, his one hand going to his belt. "For example..."

His hand finding the object that he sought, Lyle pulled it from his belt before holding it in front of him for all to see. A wineskin. A simple leather container that held the alcohol that the archer now shook. It was lighter then usual, not even half full, something Lyle had noticed with a certain degree of despair yesterday during his occasional sips.

"I'm running low!" Lyle declared. "I had a nice full skin before I headed out and now it's not even half full. After this battle, however, for the victory celebration I'm going for a refill! After having my initial fill of course!" He popped open the skin and he tipped his head back while tipping the skin down, allowing him to get a nice sip. He wasn't worried about being drunk on the battlefield; he'd been good today, having not even taken a sip until now. And that was all he was going to take until after the battle. Well...maybe a good luck sip before it starts.

"Alcohol's well and good but maybe that's not enough for some of you," Lyle continued, corking his wineskin and placing it back at his belt. With his now empty hand, the archer waved it towards the trio that he had spotted moving amongst the troops. All of whom he recognized; Xavier Kilmor, their exalted leader followed by his General Tomask. But neither of the two were the ones that Lyle now focused on.

"What's the warmth of alcohol without the warmth of a nice lady, eh?" With a finger raised, Lyle pointed towards the white-haired individual that followed their leader and general: Sassana Elanun. "Sure, I doubt any of you boys will be able to find yourselves one as pretty as that one over there but I'm sure you'll be able to make a suitable choice with the selection you'll be able to choose from isn't that right?"

Amongst the expected laughs and good cheer that his little speech had garnered, Lyle turned his head just enough to give a wink to their Lieutenant in case she had been listening in on them.

TAG: Trimaj, Chukles, Ktala

3. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    Valen Tomask
    Over an impending battlefield...

Valen looked out over the massive plains. The Free Peoples
    Rebellion had amassed their forces in an attempt to halt the armies of the Alanva. The sun was setting, and the forces were preparing for battle. Very soon, a much more serious tone would fall upon the lands. As last minute preparations were being made, Xavier Kilmor, the leader of the rebellion, walked amongst his troops, followed closely by Sassana Elanun and Valen, his trusted advisers. As the trio walked, the High Commander noticed a small company of archers. It seemed they were a tad frolicsome for the High Commander?s taste, so he turned to his general and inquired, ?Valen, who leads that company??

"The company in question was led by a young corporal. Lyle
    Zahara was joking with his men, assumedly in an attempt to
    ease them before battle."

Satisfied the High Commander moved on, as Valen looked over at Lyle's archers. He did not blame them. Time enough for them to be serious when the arrows needed to be flying. But before then, it was their time. Course, a bit of restraint would have been nice while the High Commander was inspecting his troops. Valen gave a deep cough, just enough to catch their attentions, locking eyes for a second before he moved on to follow Xavier. Yes, let them have their fun, they might not be alive to enjoy it come sun up.

Valen looked over at Sassana Elanun. Kilmor listened to her counsel quite closely. But she was a mage, something that Valen understood the use for, but found hard to put his trust into it. Steel, on the other hand, was something he understood.

"Are there any other preparations you wish done, before the battle begins, Sir?" Valen asked the High Commander. He had not heard the latest spy reports, and Valen wanted to make sure that everything was in readiness.

TAG: Trimaj, Sarge221, Chukles

4. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    OOC:Posting for OGR, who is currently stuck within the BB5 house.

IC: Fynn Thrinsata
    The Campfire

The ardent blaze played tricks with the final remnants of daylight. The sun cast its dying rays in one final, futile embrace of the countryside before, exhausted by its resistance, lying to rest upon the horizon. In a distant corner of this land ? a world held apart by the vastness of its territory ? another band of peoples rose to celebrate the return of the light that dictated their existence. Everything came from, and returned to, the light. And a brilliant light created a powerful shadow.

It was the brilliant light of the fire that twisted and bent the last echoes of sunlight, creating monsters and fiends out of common nothingness. Creatures of majesty raced against beings of terror, darting around and around in a cycle as ruthless and as endless as imagination. Flickering slightly as a light breeze caught the flames in its grasp, the fire danced across the wispy strains of grass underfoot and licked at the charred wood.

It was just a simple fire, and this was a simple dawn of the sun, but it was more than this. Everything was more than what it seemed to be. And with that thought, Fynn Thrinsata allowed a small smile to bend her lips, casting a fleeting glance at her companions before tearing off a chunk of bread. The bread was dark and gummy, and somewhat difficult to chew, but it was better than anything she had eaten in a long time. Fynn popped a piece into her mouth and ate hungrily.

Her attention was drawn once again to the fire as it began to grow more and more striking against the emergent darkness. A young boy, perhaps fourteen or fifteen years of age, snapped his long, thin fingers, the noise standing in sharp contrast to the nearly solemn silence of most of the other travelers. As his fingers moved, the flames roared into a radiance almost twice their previous size and strength. Grinning like there was no tomorrow, the boy continued to manipulate the flames as their intensity reflected in his eyes.

Ripping another, larger portion of the dark bread, Fynn regarded the lad carefully. His nonchalant regard for the powers he carried could be dangerous to those who made his acquaintance, or who were forced to rely upon him in the days to come. Fynn shrugged slightly, chewing the bread thoughtfully. She had barely come to know him, and would not need to depend upon him for anything she could think of.

Seated adjacent to the boy was a man who had remained hunched over his hunting bow since their arrival. Fynn suspected that he was using this brief moment of respite not merely to perfect his weapon, but to study the others seated around the fire, as well. Subtle fingers moved quickly across the lean bow, repositioning and adjusting delicate anomalies that the untrained eyes were certain to overlook.

The last of her bread finished, Fynn wiped her fingers against her thin tunic and brushed crumbs from her lap. Settling back against a small stump behind her back, Fynn examined the traveler seated to the right of the hunter.

She looked small, and pale, and weak, but that could not conceal her inner flame. Fair hair and light skin framing small, commanding blue eyes revealed her as hailing from the Norths, and the frosty undertones of her every action was testament to the strength of her people. Although she bore no visible weaponry, it was probable that she carried a hidden dagger or something smaller on her person. She was one
    to watch, that was certain.

Shivering shortly as the breeze whipped up around her, Fynn was almost glad when the young boy willed the fire to ascend yet again. When it did, it cast a looming shadow on the imposing figure seated somewhat apart from the Northern woman. His long blade glinted sharply in the light, matching the predatory glare that emanated from his gaze.

In sharp contrast, seated next to him was an odd man who, too, held no weapon in sight. His feet were bare and his hair ragged, but his face and hands were clean and his eyes calm. He was nearly the direct oppos

5. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    bah... stupid computer.

6. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Orml Chal
    Sitting Around the Campfire

How exactly, Orml Chal thought to himself, scratching at his mangy goatee, did I end up around this campfire with such violent looking people? No less than two of them were hugging their weapons like they were their children. Weapons! Bah! A real man didn't need to prove himself through combat. Words were Orml Chal's blade, and peace was his crusade.

He shoved a hand into his pocket and pulled out a rolled up piece of fireweed. Fireweed was a curious little export the fire nation produced. Contrary to it's name, it wasn't used to start fires, but rather, to simulate a warming sensation deep in the lungs. It also benefitted from a smooth, slightly bitter flavor, and being addictive as all get out. Orml himself could scarcely go two days without at least one roll, or "stick" as the vernacular went.

Placing the stick between his index and middle finger, he watched as the fire began to stop dancing around as the one fellow got to his feet. Curious, the wind patterns hadn't changed. Orml shrugged it off as being his imagination, stuck the tip of the stick in, placed the newly lit fireweed in his mouth, and took a slow draw on it before exhaling. He coughed slightly.

"Sit down, pal, no need to be in such a rush," he noted. "It's dark, wandering abouts can't be safe anyway. Besides, I think you're obligated at this point to answer the lady's question." He replaced the stick in his mouth and held it there loosely. Damn kids, always in too big a hurry for their own good.

TAG: Campfire crew

OOC: And, so we're clear, fireweed is like tobacco and not a certain other smokable plant that hippies are associated with.:p

7. blubeast1237

blubeast1237 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 10, 2007
    Mynron Sagik
    -La Campfire

He looked at the woman, then at the old guy before plopping back, causing the fire to blaze brightly before resettling back into its joyful dance. "Firs' ov all, old timer, I naht in no rush. Been travellin' to get to da' Earth Kingdom for alil' while now."

He turned to the woman who had said something about magic. "I don't know what afinty means, but I can do fire magic. Not alot doe. Nev'r been taught to use it. I use my fist for errthin else."

Tag: Campfire Crew

8. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Orml Chal
    Sitting around the campfire

"I'm 25, kid, I'm not that old," Orml replied with an audible chuckle as he took another drag on his fireweed stick. "I'm not going grey, am I?" He grabbed a patch of his long hair and pulled it in front of his right eye, examining it closely. Not a grey hair in sight. He breathed a sigh of relief, exhaling a good deal of lightly colored smoke as he did so. "Traveling, though, that's great. I was about your age when I left home. Best decision I ever made, not once have I looked back."

He glanced down at his calloused and dirty feet, which were bunched up near him. "Of course it's a bit rough on the footwear..."

He listened as the youngster explained himself to the woman. "Magic, eh? Now that's a rare gift. You ought to be cultivating that, and not your fists. Seems to me that kind of power could do a lot of good towards your fellow man, if you went about it the right way. Now, on the other hand fighting never could solve anything that a little understanding couldn't. Look at this tree here," he said, pointing to the rather tall specimen not far behind him.

"This tree here is older than... probably all of us here combined, and it's made it's way through life perfectly fine, without impeding on anyone except a little grass," he continued, taking another drag on the stick, followed by a notably subdued exhale. "Plants never fight, and they get along just fine. So why do we, as people, feel the need to prove our superiority through strength of arms? Hell, most animals can even get by fine without any need to beat the ever-loving pulp out of their fellows. It's stupid, if you ask me."

TAG: Campfire Crew

9. blubeast1237

Apr 10, 2007
    Mynron Sagik
    -La Campfire

Mynron cocked his head to the side. "Eh, lisen, old timer." He continued, even though the man had expressed his concern over being called old. "Animal don't beat up each oder, dey kill each oder. I from the Fire Kingdom and I seen many a animal kill another one for food and for superority or whatever you said. Also,"

His finger pointed to a stump right beside the tree that the man had pointed to. "See dis stump right 'ere? It would be older den all us, but it got chopped down." He walked over and picked another berry off of a bush and popped it into his mouth. "Its kill or be killed, mister." Mynron, satisfied with himself, picked up another log, waving it at the man, and tossed it on the fire, further illustrating his point.

He spit a stem into the fire. "I don't really no much about magic. I ain't tryin to go to no fancy school to teach me, neither." He held up his fists. "Dese done did alot a good thins for me and dey goin keep on doin good thins, til I get to the Earth Kingdom. Den I goin to buy my own shop and make good arma and make money. Or maybe I join da rebellion. Hell, I don't know what I do when I get dere, all I know is dat I goin to get dere."

Mynron walked around the fire as he spoke, picking at bugs and looking around the forests. "My name Mynron Sagik, what about you Mister and where you headed?

Tag: Ramza, Campfire

10. SirakRomar

SirakRomar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2007
    Igrene
    Campfire

Here eyes stared in the fire. The heat it produced was almost uncomfortable. But she remained sitting. It would have been untypical to leave the group, would it? Would be nothing the others were willing to do, even if they seemed to be uneasy around each other. They did not trust each other. That was good. Something she had no problem to adapt to. She did not trust them, too.

The beauty, sitting opposite of her mustered her. Igrene stared back for a moment. Her blue eyes showing nothing. Because nothing happened inside of her. Fear was not necessary. Not for now. And she understood why someone would be curious about who she was. She was actually herself. The boy playing with fire was talkative. A lot so. He tried to convince the others he was a loner, but actually she had realized many men did when they really enjoyed company. This contradictory patterns of behavior made it nearly impossible to predict their thoughts. She missed the monastary. Wher such things had been no issue.

"I jus passin through, folks. I got oder places to be headin to. Where yall's folks headed anyway?" That was what Myron asked. Opening her mouth to answer, not more then a small departue of her lips she wanted to answer. Welcoming the opportunity to parttake in the conversation. But the others began to speak. She did not interrupt, as she was told in the Monastary. By all those dead monks. Whose wisdom had shown itself as what it was. Forlorn in the cold snow of the Ice Kingdom.

The red blood mingling with the pure frozen water . . .

"Earth Kingdom. I wanted to join the rebellion." She said and listened as the men joked and discussed. "Its kill or be killed, mister." Myron declared, uninterrupted by her. She smiled. It indeed was. Who would have thought she had a borther in mind here?

"I don't really no much about magic. I ain't tryin to go to no fancy school to teach me, neither." He held up his fists. "Dese done did alot a good thins for me and dey goin keep on doin good thins, til I get to the Earth Kingdom. Den I goin to buy my own shop and make good arma and make money. Or maybe I join da rebellion. Hell, I don't know what I do when I get dere, all I know is dat I goin to get dere." Rebellion? What did this man know about it? "My name Mynron Sagik, what about you Mister and where you headed?" Myron, he had been called so before by the other woman, introduced himself a second time. Igrene had no more thought to waste on it. The rebellion. It had been hard to find, but had been her aim. What had kept her alive. Everybody needed something he moved towards to. She knew that. Survival was about surviving the next minute.

"What do you know about the Rebellion, Myron?" She asked now. No longer the shy voice of her failed attempt to socialize. No, this was a cold breath carrying her words. Comin form her icy core itself. "I call myself Igrene. I am looking for them."

Tag: bluebeast, campfiregang

11. Seremela

Seremela Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 12, 2008
    IC: Skillan Iarnsen
    Campfire

Skillan's bow had been ready for some time now, the grease rubbed in completely. More grease than he had used back home, in the mountains, where the cold had made the air dryer than it was here.

On his journey further and further away from those mountains he had found that he liked being in warmer lands, liked the increase in smells around him and in plantlife, the variation in trees and animals, especially the smaller ones. These lower land woods were filled with sounds as well, birds twittering and singing, movements in the rich undergrowth that grew beneath the trees here and a constant buzz of more insects than he had previously ever imagined could exist. Some animal was rustling through the bushes further off even now, and muted sounds to his right, safely out of reach of the campfire light, told him this would have been a good night to hunt.

But he did miss the pureness and invigoration of the high mountains air.

He had soon realized that the heavier, moisture richer air of these lower lands was harder on his bow. But that wasn?t the only reason he had been taking care of it this evening. It had also been an excuse to keep to himself as he studied the strangers around him. So different, all of them, from the people he had grown up with, even the woman to his right, Igrene.

It had been instinct to set himself beside her, the one looking the most familiar. And for a while now he had been debating with himself if he should address her, maybe offer her some of his jerky. She looked as if she hadn?t eaten properly in too long a time. His supply of it was nearing its end, but he could hunt tomorrow, when he was on his own again.

Still fiddling with his bow he considered, when the fire before him started to dance, the flames brightening and diminishing in a way that had nothing to do with the wind he felt. It made him shiver despite the fact that he wasn?t cold. Then people around him began discussing magic and mentioned the rebellion. Things he had been hearing about during his journey, things he knew he should know more about if he wanted to travel further. It was one of the reasons he had decided to approach this group. But how to ask without showing his vast ignorance? Better by far to listen and finally the conversation seemed to go where he needed.

Igrene suddenly spoke up and asked about the rebellion, but in a voice that instantly raised his hackles. Cold as ice it had become, so different from the soft voice she had been speaking with earlier. He looked up at her sharply, no longer content to hide, but alert for anything that might come.

TAG: all around the campfire

12. WINKWINK

Dec 15, 2008
    IC Elecia Bathory
    Still in the woods, a little while later

She could see them. Face after face, some blurry and some mere shadows, but she felt they deserved to be remembered by their killer as well.

[i]I just want to help people, WHY can't I HELP people... Why must I bring death with me everywhere I go...[/i]

Looking down at the knife still in her hand through still blurry and tired eyes [i]This is why[/i] she hurls the knife into the woods. Where she hears it sink into a tree.

Enraged she rips off the harness belted around her waist and throws it after her other knife and then starts taking them from where she has them hidden in her clothes and throwing them all at a tree right next to her.

In her anger she didn't hear the yelp as she threw the first knife, nor the one that follow as she threw her harness.

Her anger spent she again collapses sobbing, arms pressed to her stomach. And then she hears the twig snap.

Still on the ground she turns toward the sound and says in a tortured voice "Allen". He comes and kneels by her, placing the harness on the ground next to her other knives, and puts his arm around her. She buries her head into his shoulder.

As the tears resume she stammers "It wasn't re-eal! It was Bluster, h-he had a FAMILY, we're all starving and he was just trying to provide for his FAMILY" the sobs became harder, her words almost indistinguishable "AND I KILLED HIM FOR IT, his baby son will grow up never knowing his father and his little daughter will grow up barely remembering him"

"Shh, Ell shh, he tried to kill you, it wasn't as if he was some kind of sain-"

She pushed him away interrupting and looked at him, voice coming out shrill "BUT HE DIDN'T MEAN TOO, he didn't think he had a choice! To his mind, even in this group, what kind of man lets a women intimidate him? Just last week we were joking and laughing together, then his daughter got sick just before we left for this ambush. Did you know that Allen? THATS what this was about, it's the same thing my mother and my brother DIED of! Did you know he was with us even back then? Did you know that he even helped me and Agatha tend them, that he stayed by my mothers sides as she died even when I WASN'T THERE!"

Calming slightly she relaxed back into his arms "Thats what this was about, he was trying to get enough money together to do what wasn't an option for me. Take her to the Mages."

Allen was silent a moment "I knew he had been here longer than me, but I never really knew any more about him. All I ever saw was the brute... I didn't even realize he was married"

She pushed away from him again and sat back against the tree next to her knives "You never saw him with Mary or their children" Steeling herself she inhaled deeply "Allen, I've been thinking... maybe i should step down as leader." Seeing his immediate response from the way he stiffened she rushed to finish. "Allen wait, after this is the fifth of our own people I've had to kill, for various reasons, but still, if a man was leading would he have this much difficulty? After Rork... " She paused, changing what she had been about to say. "He led that group at the fire with him you know. Some of our best fighters. I was in charge, but HE was THEIR leader, and after this... enough people knew he wasn't just a brute that they might not be willing to follow me anymore." She hung her head "And maybe they shouldn't."

Allen looked at her a moment and started to laugh.

Shocked, her mouth falling open she exclaimed "What are you laughing at! There is nothing funny about any of this you stupid- Ahh! just- STOP laughing!"

Still smiling and chuckling he sighed "Oh, whew. Heh, ok. Ok I'm sorry but... look Ell, their are over five hundred people in our little "Camp". There is no one else with the training or the knowledge OR the experience who could lead them. Just you. And in this type of... Government I guess you could call it-" With a small smile she interrupted him "Anarchy."

Rolling his eyes he finished what he had been saying "And in this type of GOVERNMENT even a man would have chal

13. Chukles38

Chukles38 Jedi Master star 5

Jun 10, 2005
    GM POST

Quick note; WINKWINK, your post is fine, but it actually makes less sense hours later. So, in order to keep the time line intact, I'm gonna go ahead and discount that little bit. The rest of the post was great though. It just happened very shortly after your first. :)

And, as soon as I get the last post or two, the game will be advanced. Don't worry. Things will be getting much more exciting soon. :)

~Chukles38

14. WINKWINK

Dec 15, 2008
    OCC I knew I forgot something.
    HA! caught it by 1 minute!

EDIT
    ... or not.

15. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Orml Chal
    Sitting around the campfire

"Sure thing kid, if you're going to insist," Orml replied with a sigh. That was the sort of attitude that proliferated the cycle of violence, and it was the kind of thinking that people needed to leave behind if mankind really hoped to proliferate. He exhaled a particularly long stream of smoke as he glanced upward at the increasingly darkened sky.

"Orml Chal," he remarked, after the one who called herself Igrene had finished. "I'm headed nowhere in particular, and I go wherever I please. Unlike Igrene, I'm not looking to join any rebellion or fight anyone. I've seen what war does to people, and I'll have no part of it."

He pulled the fireweed stick out of his mouth and tapped it lightly, dropping some ash on the edge of the pit the fire sat in. Then he held the smoldering end half a foot from the front of his face and stared at it intently. Was this man's future? A smoldering little bundle of fireweed doomed to someday outlive its purpose and get discarded? Going up in literal smoke?

Well, he wouldn't sit back idly by and watch it. While his father was surely still making those instruments of death, Orml was done with suffering and war. And if that meant he had to keep wandering for the rest of his days, so be it.

TAG: Campfire Crew

16. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    IC: Lor Amherst
    Around the campfire

Lor sat in silence, his hand resting steadily on the perfectly balanced blade situated in his lap. The flames of the fire wavered and danced within the blade's metallic surface, drawing Lor's dark eyes to the occurrence in an almost hypnotic state. Although he appeared to be in silent contemplation, it was just an act and he was quite aware of the events unfolding around him. The people gathered before him were a mysterious bunch and he found himself rather uncomfortable with their company, but there was something about their conversation that was drawing him in. He couldn't ignore it.

Magic.

The mere thought of sorcerers and their manipulation of the unknown brought a bad taste to his mouth. He viewed magic as the coward's way out as a man barely had to lift a finger to send some unfortunate soul sailing to his death. It took real skill and concentration to weld a weapon and physically work for one's goal. It might have been the hard way to achieve something in this world, but in Lor's mind, it was the only way. And here was a young boy, already getting the wrong idea of life by outwardly flaunting his special power for all to see.

Dipping his head towards the ground, Lor reclined back against the boulder he was leaning against and reached over to scratch Saber between the ears to calm her. Ever since the boy had begun to play with the fire, the young pup had been restless, her ears plastered back against her head as she whimpered softly. "Easy, girl," Lor said softly in a voice that seemed unfitting for his physical appearance. Saber, ever the obedient companion on his travels, hushed her whining and lifted her head to nuzzle against her master's hand. They were a team and both man and canine recognized this. They played off of each others' strengths and had an understanding that seemed impossible between a man and his pet. And in this particular case, they were here to offer comfort to each other.

Reaching into a pouch on his belt, Lor produced some smoked jerky he had gathered from his travels. Tearing off a piece of the tender morsel, he dangled it in front of Saber's nose and bit off a piece for himself only after the pup had consumed her share. As he sat there chewing and staring off into the flames, the conversation of the others picked up once more, piquing his attention as the subject of interest turned towards the rebellion. Although he would never admit it openly, Lor had a special place for the rebellion. He believed in their ideals and strove to aid them in their struggles without actually joining their ranks.

"What do you know about the Rebellion, Myron?" a woman with an icy disposition asked of the young boy. "I call myself Igrene. I am looking for them."

"You don't go looking for them," he muttered cryptically, breaking his vow to remain silent. "If you do the right thing, they'll seek you out." He paused to offer her a wry smile before biting off another portion of his jerky and dipping into silence once more.

TAG: Campfire gang

17. SirakRomar

Mar 30, 2007
    Igrene
    Campfire

"You don't go looking for them," The huge man next to her finally broke his silent. He had made her nervous. not because of his sword or silence, but because the man himself brought up the question if under circumstances she had failed to understand it would be more appropriate to remain silent. That by such a mistake she would betray how unexperienced she was to such moments. "If you do the right thing, they'll seek you out."
    He said and gave her a smile. One she had a hard time interpreting. It made her wonder about his words, actually. Made her assume he knew more than he told her. Maybe that indeed was what he had intended with that smile. She would try to train such a smile when she found a lake and could use the reflection. For now she could only use her words to gain more knowledge of the man who obviously had more.

"Then, good man," She had heard this being used before. Good man. Many people said so to others when requesting something. She was pretty satisfied with the natural way it sounded when she used it now. "What is the right thing to do?" And her own smile appeared on her face. The friendly smile. osmething she couldn´t master, yet. Not even when she meant it, and in this case she did. It always was a little to cold.

Tag: HanSolo29, Blu, others of course

18. blubeast1237

Apr 10, 2007
    Mynron Sagik
    -Campfire

The woman said, "What is the right thing to do?" And Mynron continued to chew on the berries till he was full and then began to drink some milk. Apparantly, they were headed in the same direction.

"Da righ thin to do is talk to da righ peoples. I got some friends in da Earth Kingdom. Said dey could help me get in if I want to. We goin da same way, so migh a well go together. Milk?"

She had a strange look on her face that looked as if she was trying to smile and she was a very odd person. She didn't seem to eat alot and lacked serious social skills. Though Mynron couldn't really talk. He didn't have alot of friends, but the ones he did have were loyal to the end. He wasn't looking to make friends, right now, so no use giving the woman the wrong impression, though he did not know what the impression was. To Mynron it just made since that if they were going the same way, alittle company was the best idea on both parts. Maybe she had some money, because Mynron was broke.

He turned back to Orml Chal. "Orml, you ain't got nowhere to be, migh a well come with us."

Tag: Ramza, Sirak, Campfire

19. SirakRomar

Mar 30, 2007
    Igrene
    Campfire

Myron answered and her head snapped towards him like the skull of a hunting bird-of-prey. She regretted it immediately. It was so natural for her to move like this, yet it seemed to appear very alien to others.
    "Da righ thin to do is talk to da righ peoples. I got some friends in da Earth Kingdom. Said dey could help me get in if I want to. We goin da same way, so migh a well go together. Milk?" The man who spoke strange said. Myron. She wondered if this was often the case. That they spoke in such strange ways. If it was meant to tell her something. She tried to get over her abrupt move, by smiling. Actually it worked much better this time. Slowly she became good at . . . smiling.
    "Yes indeed. Why not? I would love to meet these friends of yours. And learn how to do the right thing. Let us travel together." She kept her smile on her face and did ignore the milk. she was actually amazed by the masses of food these people were consuming. Maybe she had to adopt that, too. Sometimes she doubted she could ever pass as one of them. Then she wondered sometimes why she shouldn´t be one . . . of them? Turning her head to man they had called Orml she waited for his reply. As a sudden realization jumped at her. Names. Names were important. People bonded by telling each other what their name was.
    "I am called Igrene." She added. And tried that smile again.

Tag: blu, ramza, hs29, trim, others? chuk?

20. Chukles38

Chukles38 Jedi Master star 5

Jun 10, 2005
    Aaaaaaaannnnd, update number two. Things are starting to heat up. :) I will be doing updates throughout the battle, and will further explain how magic is used in combat after I get back from where I am going tonight. However, combat is very open. Feel free to fight and kill npcs, though be reasonable. As well, you cannot end the battle. I also ask winkwink and the campfire crew refrain from joining the battle. And so, with that, enjoy. :)

?When last we left our group we saw them sitting around a campfire. Ignorant of the grand events about to take place, they spoke of magic and ideology. The boy, Mynron, seemed to possess a morbid outlook upon the world, and Orml, it seemed, possessed his own singular opinion of the world.

?The conversation quickly shifted to the rebellion. For the past ten years, they had been the talk of Gilanore. Despite the greatest efforts of the Mages, they had thus far been unable to contain word of the rebellion. Since it was founded, its membership had grown drastically, and the sympathy of the people, though historically towards the Mages, was now beginning to shift. Many individuals sought them as some of these six did. However, the Ice and Fire Kingdoms still maintained a rather neutral outlook on the current affairs of the world.

?But enough history, I?m sure you are much more interested in what happens next?? The crowd gave its assent, which elicited a chuckle from the bard. ?Very well then. As I was saying, the group had been discussing the rebellion for some time now, and the conversation was getting interesting. It seemed one or two of them wished to join the ranks. The six introduced themselves more officially, but their conversation did not progress much further, for quite suddenly a brilliant flash of light appeared in the western sky.

?It was so bright that the group was blinded for several moments. When their vision had cleared, it was apparent that the light was still in the sky, though not nearly as intense. The group gazed in wonder, as each attempted to discern what could be the cause. After exchanging wondering glances, the six quickly stood and rushed through the woods to the west, their way lighted by the strange lights in the sky.?

*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

?Nearby, Elecia and Allen saw the light as well. After the blindness had subsided, Elecia too began to rush after the light, curious winning out over caution.?

*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

?Meanwhile, in a field not far from our six wanderers, the battle was about to begin. The sun had now set and the only light was that of torches. This did not concern either force, for they were used to fighting battles at night. Both sides began to mobilize, the Alanva on the North end and the Free Peoples Rebellion to the South. The tension felt by all was very familiar. It was the feeling that all soldiers get before battle.

?The moon?s pale light cast a dreary setting over the plain. Its gentle rays drained the world of color. The time soon came. There was no announcement, no signal, but everyone on the field new. As one, all on the field closed their heads and looked down. They knew what was coming. Several orbs of light shot into the air, cast by light mages on either side.

?The explosion of light was blinding. Even with the precautions taken by the men and women on the plain their vision flared, and it took a moment for their eyes to readjust. Once they did, the field was now visible as the flares burned brightly in the sky. Where the opposing army had moments before appeared as one dark silhouette, each man was now clearly visible. The flares? light neared the brightness of the sun, and was a necessity for nighttime combat.

?After their vision had cleared the armies assumed battle positions. The Rebellion assembled their archers behind the rest of the Army, including Lyle and his company of archers. At the command of Xavier, the archers released their volley and the battle had begun.

?However, the mages of the Alanva were too skilled and non

21. Seremela

Jul 12, 2008
    ~Edge of battlefield~

Skillan had grabbed his bow and quiver of arrows before he ran with the others after the strange light in the sky. It unnerved him. Its unnatural light changed the forest around him, giving it an eerie look he had never seen before, not even when the full moon glittered off the snow, transforming everything he knew into something dreamlike, unreal.

Soon he heard sounds in front of him, sounds that had nothing to do with the forest itself. Screams, voices calling out, the clanging of metal on metal.

He stopped, set down his bow, foot on the lower nock, and quickly strung it. He reached over his shoulder to grab an arrow, one of the heavier ones, capable of killing a Mountain Troll and held it ready against the string. Cautiously he proceeded until he reached the edge of the forest. There he stopped, gazing out in horror.

Before him lay a vast field, the strange light hanging above it, illuminating in detail what was happening on it.

A battle, a grand battle that could have come straight out of a bard?s tale, in which heroes roamed the land and epic fights changed the world. He had always loved those stories.

But there was nothing to love here. People weren?t only shouting battle cries, they were screaming in pain as well. They weren?t only charging at each other, weapons clashing, they were also falling down and staying down, unmoving, on the ground. And through it all he saw? flashes? he didn?t have another word for it, and where they hit, people sometimes fell down as well.

It gave him a sick feeling in his stomach, and at the same time he couldn?t look away.

?What is this?? he whispered. ?Why are they doing this to each other??

TAG: those looking on, Chuckles

22. Kimblee

Kimblee Jedi Youngling

Jul 9, 2009
    Mynron Sagik
    -Forest

Mynron climbed up in a tree and watched the battle, while still drinking his milk. He heard the fellow with the arrows ask why this was happening and Mynron spit a stem out and watched the battle and said, "I surprised you don't know. Da Rebellion and Mages have been havin minor skirmishes in dese for the past cup'o days. I almo got caught in one. The Mages took over and the Rebellion is workin for the people. You ain't neva seen someone killed befo?"

The lights were bright and Mynron had to occasionally look away because they hurt his eyes. Other than that, he watched the battle with a simple interest. He wanted the Rebellion to win. Teach those fancy mages a thing or two about actual combat.

He climbed higher in the tree and did not stop until the entire battle was seen. The thought occured to him that maybe he might be in danger, but he dismissed it. If someone was paying that type of attention to him in the midst of a battle at night, then they deserved to hit him. He looked down at the others. "Not dat I worried bout yall, but yall migh wanna get some cover. And don't stare directly at da lighs."

He called out to Orml. "Dats life, Orml. Out there on dat battlefield."

Tag: Everyone

23. Seremela

Jul 12, 2008
    ~Edge of battlefield~

Skillan hadn?t really expected an answer to his question, but one came anyway, from above him.

"I surprised you don't know,? the boy with magic called down. ?Da Rebellion and Mages have been havin minor skirmishes in dese for the past cup'o days. I almo got caught in one. The Mages took over and the Rebellion is workin for the people. You ain't neva seen someone killed befo?"

Skillan thought about his father, and how he lay quietly under the mountain troll who had gotten to him despite the spear and several arrows in him, blood pooling around him. And about the four days it had taken him to die. The grief that had become a dull throb in a remote corner of his mind during his journey instantly flared back into the sharp pain it had been just after his father?s death.

He took a deep breath and ruthlessly shoved it away. Grief was for private moments, not for the here and now, when he was surrounded by strangers.

His father wasn?t the first he had seen die either, but those deaths had also been because of the hunt. It had been over food and survival, not like this.

This was carnage.

"Dats life, Orml. Out there on dat battlefield," he heard Mynron call out.

?No, it's death! I've seen people getting killed, but I?ve never seen this kind of destruction of human life before,? he yelled at the boy. ?Don?t you care about all the lives that will be lost??

TAG: blubeast/kimblee, everyone

(OOC: Sh****, I really didn't have my moment during this post; not going to touch it again)

24. WINKWINK

Dec 15, 2008
    IC Elicia Bathory
    the woods

"No Allen, I'm not ******* you" Ell said smiling.

And then her smile was wiped away by a blinding flash of light.

Stunned, it took her a moment to recognize what had happened. And when she did her blood ran cold.

Before her vision had cleared completely she ran towards the light, screaming behind her "ALLEN! GET THEM MOVING, MAGES!!!"

Hearing Allen yelling something behind her she ignored him and continued through the forest. She trusted him to get the others out of harms way and she needed to see what was going on.

She trip and stumbled the last few steps out of the forest. Right next to a group of people.

"Uh, hi"

[hr]

TAG Campfire crew.

25. Kimblee

Kimblee Jedi Youngling

Jul 9, 2009
    Mynron Sagik
    -Forest

That wasn't Orml's voice. Mynron looked down and saw that the guy with the arrows was looking up at him. It was dark and Mynron couldn't be sure, but the flashes from the battlefield danced across the man's face and Mynron saw something like pain in his face. He couldn't look at it, so he turned back to the battlefield.

"Nope, an you don't either. You don't know anyone on dat field an jus cuz dey dyin don't mean you have to preten you care. My daddy used to say a man feel most live when he fightin for somethin. Dats why deres life on dat field. If we didn't have dem out there, thins be alot worse for all da kingdoms. U betta respec 'em."

The official report on the Fire Kingdom was that they were neutral, but Mynron had been born there and most of his friends and family were fighting the war. There was money in it and a way out. Hell, the idea still rolled around in his head. Maybe he should fight for the rebellion. He still didn't know what he wanted to do.

"Igrene, we betta to start headin out now, den lata, cuz den dey goin to be lookin for enemies dat were lef behind."

He climbed down to a lower branch, then jumped to the Forest floor. Just in time for a woman to come out of the darkness saying, "Uh, hi." He growled at her and clinched his fist.

"Who you with?"

Tag: Forest

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.