main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A Bright Center: The Official Core Worlds Discussion Thread (Aftermath & Shattered Empire Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Jan 4, 2013.

1. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Well, at least the festival added a bit of color to the world. As you point out, at least this is better than what we see in FOTJ. I don't mind the large number of Core ecumenopolis worlds, but I would love it if they alll had their own unique architectural stylings. In other words, not just a Coruscant copy. I would love, for example, to see a Core World that had a skyline along the lines of New York City in the 1920's -1930's, very art deco. Or an world that didn't build up into the sky but down into the ground.

One of the things I liked about the description of Mettellos in CATCW was that it wasn't like Coruscant. You had low level slums, large blocks of megatowers, and all the wealthy lived in floating paradises in the sky. It was unique and stands out in my mind to this day.

Stazi was able to cultivate a good relationship with Triumvir Gial Gahan, so he was obviously a flag officer that was also comfortable in political circles. Of course, Stazi never setup a government-in-exile during the Second Rebellion, as according to the LECG he ran his forces under the laws and statutes of the Galactic Alliance, essentially running his fleet as if it was still under the government's jurisdiction, despite the fact it surrendered.

Speaking of Stazi, I demand a source that confirms that the GA's Core Fleet was based at Anaxes. It would be very cool to see Anaxes remain a prominent world in the post-Vong War years.

--Adm. Nick

Havac and darthscott3457 like this.
  2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I agree with you about the ecumenopoleis ("ecumenopolis worlds" is pleonastic; oikomene means world/universe). There's no reason that they'd all look like Coruscant. In fact, Kidriff's similarity to Coruscant was noted as exceptional.

Although as far as New York art deco goes -- ROTJ SE/TPM era Coruscant had a lot of that going on, I thought.

3. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    Different design styles when it comes to city-planets would be nice. An art-deco one would be cool, though I wouldn't mind seeing some that are more Victorian or Gothic. Though not a city planet or in the Core, I always thought a city planet that looked like Harnaidan on Muunilinst would be cool to see as well.

Then there is always Green Coruscant

4. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Thing is Green Coruscant (just like other pics of CelestiaGalacticaPhotografica) are in universe fiction so there is likely nothing like it anywere in the GFFA. Though from what we have seen not even Coruscant is all that uniform, with sometimes very different building styles in different sections of the planet.

5. King of Alsakan

Nov 25, 2007
    I'm glad it is fiction, not the greatest to look at

Gorefiend likes this.
  6. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I'm not saying they're all wealthy, just that we see enough of the wealthy element to get some ideas about them (competitive displays of wealth in entertainments hosted for the public's benefit, living in estates with grounds rather than skyscrapers -- it's all rather Roman, really) and a little sense of the general public, too.

7. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I wouldn't mind "Green Coruscant" being a IU Core World. Obviously it would need a better name, but only in the wealthy and stable Core could such a paradise world be possible.

--Adm Nick

8. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Not in the Core, but Denon, perhaps?

9. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Denon could be a good fit. We don't know what sort of city world it is, so it would be rather fun to make it a green ecumenopolis.

--Adm. Nick

10. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Might also provide an additional excuse for its temporary use as the galactic capital: a greener, more pleasant face for the newly-formed GA.

11. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Good idea! I like the symbolism of that. Literally a "fresh" start. Make me wish that Denning kept with Luceno's idea of Denon being the new capital instead of rushing to make Coruscant back to it's Prequel era form.

--Adm. Nick

12. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Well, with the sequel trilogy and the possibility of a new EU coming...:p

13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    If they completely erase the Vongforming of Coruscant, I couldn't be happier. Damn you NJO! :p

darthscott3457 likes this.
  14. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Apparently, you can rebuild a city world that it home to over a trillon people in just a few years, but you cannot regrow plants on Ithor for over a century. :p

--Adm. Nick

Gamiel and Havac like this.
  15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Maybe the Ithorians forgot how to transplant trees in between KOTOR2 and the post-NJO? :p

16. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    It might really be easier to repopulate an artificial city planet then cleaning up Vongforming, especially to the extend in happened on Ithor .

17. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    RE: Sequel Trilogy, it will be interesting to see if Coruscant is featured. To a certain extent, I cannot imagine the new trilogy not having scences on Coruscant, given it's prominence in the Prequels and the TCW.

And, from a purely thematic view, seeing the restored Repulic under the control of the former Rebels will bring things full circle, connecting the Prequels to the Originals to the Sequels.

--Adm. Nick

18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Unless the ST features a surviving Empire still in control of Imperial Center... [face_praying]

19. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    I think a scenario is which Coruscant is not used, or if it is used bears little resemblance to prior depictions, is actually quite possible. The biggest mysteries of the ST are 'when is it going to be set' and 'who in the galaxy is the bad guy.' That second question bears rather substantial importance, especially as it is likely the writers will position whomever or whatever the ultimate villain turns out to be in a position of a priori overwhelming power, which could easily mean an opening with whomever our bad guy is already in control of Coruscant (or the smoldering wreckage thereof) and the action taking place away from it.

I don't think this is particularly likely. A more likely example is how Legacy used Coruscant, a modest number of mostly plotting and scheming sequences taking place there. Not sure how much of the planet we'd actually see in such a scenario. After all we really don't see much of the planet in the prequels - we see the Senate building and the Jedi temple and some spaceports, which is rather like saying seeing Washington DC is seeing the United States.

20. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Does anyone know off the top of their head the most recent (in terms of chronological placement) that Foerost was mentioned. IIRC, it was a major Core World and the early Republic's naval headquarters, but I cannot recall if it ever popped up in the modern era.

--Adm. Nick

21. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    The Battle of Foerost, during the Clone Wars, that started the Foerost campaign of 20 BBY which ended with the Battle of Anaxes, is the last time Foerost appeared in any capacity to my knowledge.

22. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Indirectly, it's mentioned in the EGTW - the map of major shipyards that includes Foerost is dated to the Rebellion Era.

23. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Thanks Zeta1127 & blackmyron. I had forgotten about those references. It is another great example of one of those Core Worlds that once wielded great interested and then lost it to younger worlds over time. Worlds like Foreost, Perlemia, Alsakan, and others intrigue me for the very reason that they once had great power but no longer wield it to the degree they once did.

--Adm. Nick

24. King of Alsakan

Nov 25, 2007
    I wouldn't count them all out, they can easily be inserted into some future story lines. Especially in the case of Alsakan, I can see them being diminished after the Conflicts, but I think it would still be among the elite worlds of the Galaxy.

Foreost was also mentioned as colony of Kaikielius before it got its independence, per Tinker, Tailor, Solider, Praji. I am always in the camp that we haven't even come close to scratching the surface in terms of galactic starship designs, so I am sure there are more than a few Foreost designs lurking around the Galaxy.

25. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Oh, it's not that I wouldn't want a world like Foerost to be featured. I just want an author to grasp that some worlds never regain their former glory. One of the few worlds that this has been done properly with was Taris, but that I attribute to the fact that the world was reduced to rubble. For me, Foreost in the modern era would be a far more interesting place if we learn how the the world prospered (or otherwise) since the TOTJ-era. For one thing, it lost it's preminance as the Republic's main shipyard and naval station, so that had to be tough. Plus in the modern era players like KDY, CEC, and the Mon Calamari Shipyards are all the top dogs in this arena. I like change in the galaxy, especially a galaxy that is 25,000 years old. In real life cities and empires have risen and fallen, so I would expect the same to be the case with some of the Core Worlds.

--Adm. Nick

Gamiel and Havac like this.