main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "A Feast for Crows" Discussion thread! (there are spoilers in this thread watch out!)

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Andalite-Bandit, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andalite-Bandit

Andalite-Bandit Jedi Padawan star 6

Apr 25, 2005
    This thread is for talking about the fourth book in "A Song of Ice and Fire" by George R.R. Martin.

I thought "A Feast for Crows" was pretty good, but I have to say that "Storm of Swords" remains my favorite in the series right now. I understand Georges reasoning for splitting Feast in half, but I missed Jon Snow and Daenarys in this book. It was a little weird, because those two were kind of shaping up as a big focus of the series in the first three books, and then they weren't in this one. Also, they are my favorite two characters. Also, my third favorite character, Tyrion, was gone as well.

Other than that though, I liked Feast a lot. I especially liked the plotlines with Jamie and Cersei. My favorite moment from the entire book might be when Jamie crumpled up Cerseis letter at the end and had it thrown into the fire.

I liked seeing some more narrators from the Iron Islands, and finally seeing some Dorne characters getting narration. Now we only need a Tyrell narrator!

I also really liked the Samwell chapters. He is neat.

The Brienne chapters pretty good too. Do you think she is really dead though? I guess she probably is, but I wasn't sure. Zombie Catelyn is a little grumpy after her resurrection.

In this thread, talk about anything that has to do with A Feast for Crows.

2. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    After reading Feast I absolutely loved Jamie's character, andI giggledwith malicious glee when cersei was captured. I have always hated her immensely. You know what else i missed besides Jon and Danny, though, is Tyrion. I have always greatly enjoyed him in the novels.

3. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Tyrion's not in this book at all? How disappointing.

4. Blaine_The_Mono

Blaine_The_Mono Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 18, 2005
    I thought Feast was great but as you said, not as good as Swords.

So who thinks Sandor is really dead? I don't. The theroey (sp!) is that Sandor is the lame grave digger on the island that Brienne and co visist. They had Sandor's horse there as well, if I remember.

I just can't accept that the Hound is dead :D. Definately my favourite character in the series.

5. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Has he killed his brother yet? I want to see them mix it up :) The Mountain That Rides is possibly my most hated character, because of his completely unsympathetic cruelty. I want to see him get the chop.

6. emilsson

emilsson Force Ghost star 6

Oct 5, 1998
    I thought Martin handled Jaime's character very well. He has come a long way from A game of thrones, especially in regards to his sister. Cersei's downfall played out nicely and I love the cliffhanger at the very end. I also found Tommen's behaviour delightful and well portrayed.

AFFC left a lot of questions like where did Varys go? What has happened to Davos? And of course, where's Tyrion? Is he going to end up with Dany now? And what does it mean that Arya is blind?

About Brienne, I think she might still be alive. It wouldn't suprise me if she revealed what she knew about Arya to the revived Catelyn.

7. Blaine_The_Mono

Blaine_The_Mono Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 18, 2005
    Dany's chapters are going to get a lot more interesting, especially with Victarion coming and Jaqen (if he is 'Pate') trying to kill the dragons.

8. Andalite-Bandit

Apr 25, 2005
    It will be interesting to see who reaches her first. Also searching for Daenarys is the maester from the Citadel and that guy from Dorne.

I also liked the revelation in Feast that Prince Doran had planned for years and years to go against the Lannisters and had his daughter betrothed to Viserion all that time. It will be interesting to see his adjusted schemes.

9. -RebelScum-

-RebelScum- Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 21, 2004
    So many cliffies! EVIL!

-The Scummy-

10. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Was it really Jaqun that killed Pate at the beginning?

I was thinking that Jaqun would wind up being the old man that is teaching Arya in the temple.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    *ignores every post*

I preordered the bloody thing, had it shipped to me, but never bothered to read it. Whoops.

Anyways, now I've started. But I'm not going to read any posts in this thread 'til I finish. :p

12. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2002
    Brienne is very much alive. She was given the option of saving her and all of her companion's lives by Zombie Cat. All she had to do was say a single word. The final sentence in her last chapter is about her finally coming to her senses and sayin "a single word".

I don't forsee any confrontation between the Mountain and the Hound. Gregor is dead (finally croaked from the poison) but then again, that de-frocked maester might be trying to bring him back to life. Sandor is definately still alive, though. The gravedigger certainly seems to be the most likely candidate.

I feel like Jaime has finally redeemed himself. By throwing away Cersei's letter, and thereby rejecting her and the whole King's Landing crew, he's showing how much he's changed and how far he's come in becoming one of the 'good guys'.

I loved the Dorne scenes. The Prince of Dorne is certainly a puppeteer for the ages. He might become the next Littlefinger (who never ceases to amaze. Even in the Vale, he's still the master manipulator of all he touches) The other Dornish characters are also all fascinating. I wouldn't be disappointed if this was the family that ends up victorious in the end. The new High Septon is also a fun character. He's a religious nut, but he's also the one who brought Cersei to her knees (in more than one way) and he's a powerful individual, without being corrupted by his faith, giving him near-hero status. I hope that we get more from him.

There certainly are more plans and plots in play that will be nagging for years to be resolved. Anyone else think that there is more to come from Ser Loras? His ending just didn't seem...well...right. There's more going on there for sure. Cersei surely isn't done for, either, and Maergery's mysterious activities have yet to be resolved.

13. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    I have to re-read the whole series again because before we know it the next one will be out.

Anyhow, I enjoyed this book more than most seemed to. I didn't enjoy it as much as AGoT or ASoS but I liked it more than ACoK.

14. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    I too think that Ser Loras is alive and UNBURNT.

Does anyone else believe that rumor about him and Margeary being lovers?

15. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    ANOTHER incest story?

Possible, but not probable. I don't think Martin's gonna use that same theme of incest twice. He's got a perfect incest relationship between Cersei and Jaime and he shouldn't tarnish its place in the series w/ another.

16. droideka27

May 28, 2002
    Yeah another one would sort of be over the top

17. HandofSkywalker86

HandofSkywalker86 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2004
    I think its been confirmed by Mr. Martin that Loras is gay. So the whole sister love thing is outta the question for me. Though he could definitely be uninjured and involved in some plot by the Tyrells.

BTW I enjoyed AFFC alot but, its lack of Bran, Jon, and Danny was a bummer since they are my three favorite living characters.

18. Lord_Riven

Lord_Riven Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    Major Spoiler (post AFFC)

GRRM let it slip that Brienne was going to meet Tyrion

Link to the thread from Westeros.org

19. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Interesting.

So, Tyrion could still be in Westeros... or... Brienne will go to the Free Cities, one of those places across the seas?

And we definitely know Brienne's alive. Or ressurected. [face_mischief]

BTW, I forget, what's the policy? If it's a spoiler thread, do we still need the highlights?

20. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Loras is supposed to be gay?

21. HandofSkywalker86

HandofSkywalker86 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2004
    Yeah, him and Renly were very close. Its confirmed in the "so Spake Martin" section of Westeros.org

Holy crap I was sure that Brienne was a goner.

22. Andalite-Bandit

Apr 25, 2005
    When I made this thread, I meant spoilers for Feast. You do not have to highlight Feast spoilers.

If you have somehow confirmed Dance spoilers, that is different. Also probably talk of Dance of Dragons might be better in the "Speculate About What is going to happen in Song of Ice and Fire" thread, perhaps! Whatever though!

23. droideka27

May 28, 2002
    BTW, I forget, what's the policy? If it's a spoiler thread, do we still need the highlights?

Well, in this case, the spoilers refer to feast only. I would assume. so past feast spoilers might need to be blacked out unless the thread purpose is changed to a general spoiler discussion. There is the other discussion thread in here of post-Feat guesses, so that would be non spoilers

EDIT: darn you, bandit!!!

24. Andalite-Bandit

Apr 25, 2005
    Oh good information.

25. droideka27

May 28, 2002
    Yeah i thought people needed to know even though you said it already. Maybe people who refuse to read your posts or something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.